IndiaDivine.org

THE MAHARSHI

Rate this topic

Guest guest

THE MAHARSHI

May/June 1993Vol. 3 - No. 3

Produced & Edited byDennis HartelDr. Anil K. Sharma

The Matter of a Will

One of the lesser-known documents that has been indispensable to the steady growth and stability of Sri Ramanasramam is the Will of Sri Ramana Maharshi. In our first article, The Matter of a Will, its genesis and contents are described. Ramana Leela is the Telugu biography of the Maharshi. There are many authentic incidents and conversations narrated in it that are not found in English publications. Dr. Lingeswara Rao translates some of the interesting passages for us. Following is the concluding story of Sri Kunju Swami's early life, as he describes his first meetings with the Sage of Arunachala in 1922. And in Films From Sri Ramanasramam we are taken to the December 1948 Jayanti celebrations, the Maharshi's sixty-ninth birthday.

'BORN AT TIRUCHUZI, a village in the present Ramnad Dt., on the 30th of December, 1879, I left my native home for good in my 17th year under Divine inspiration in quest of Arunachala and reached Tiruvannamalai in the year 1896.' Thus reads the first sentence of the Will of Sri Ramana Maharshi, dated April 6, 1938.

How did one who never touched money from his seventeenth year, never openly claimed ownership of any object, land or buildings, come to sign a document which listed numerous pieces of property, movable and immovable, and even bank accounts as his very own possessions. Did he really desire to do this, or was he duped into it by a management who feared loss of executive powers after his demise. How did this all come about?

Shortly before the Maharshi signed his Last Will and Testament a legal case that had been stuck in the courts for almost two decades was finally resolved. An old devotee of the Maharshi claimed the Ashrama property as his own and declared himself to be the only legal manager. This protracted litigation caused considerable worry, and when it was finally settled, a group of senior disciples approached the Sage for help and advice. 'They explained that, even with him there, they had been badgered in this way, and there was no knowing what might happen when he was no longer there to protect them. What would he advise? "What did they suggest?" He asked them. That the Ashrama should be controlled by a board of Trustees appointed by him, might be a good idea, they thought. But Bhagavan disagreed. "Trustees would take no real interest in running the Ashrama, which they will only use for a milch-cow for their own ends. It would be better that those who are tied to it permanently by blood and sentiment be given the permanent management." The matter was discussed and it was decided that, in that case, the best thing to do was to make a Will. Bhagavan agreed to this suggestion.'

Now the question arises, can a world-renowned renunciate, such as the Maharshi, established a legal claim to property and assets, which he never had previously acknowledged as his? Will the courts acceptsuch a claim. We discover that a precedent in this matter had already occurred on two occasions. First, in 1933, when the Maharshi executed and registered a General Power of Attorney in favor of Niranjanananda Swami, his brother and manager of Sri Ramanasramam. And again these same issues were raised on November 15th, 1936 when the Sage was examined on commission for the local District Munsiff's Court, relating to the protracted litigation mentioned above:

"Question: You left home at an early age because you had no attachment for home and property. But here there is property in the Ashrama. How is it?

Maharshi: I do not seek it. Property is thrust on me. I neither love nor hate it.

Question: Are they given to you?

Maharshi: They are given to the Swami, whoever he may be. But the body is considered the Swami in the world. That body is this. It reduces itself to myself . . . .

Question: How did you approve the building of Skandasramam on the Hill which was temple land, without previously obtaining permission from the authorities ?

Maharshi: Guided by the same Power which made me come here and reside on the Hill. . . .

Question: You do not touch money nor other offerings, I trust.

Maharshi: People sometimes place fruits in my hands. I touch them.

Question: If you receive one kind of offering, why should you not receive money also?

Maharshi: I cannot eat money. What shall I do with it? Why should I take that with which I do not know what to do?"

During this commission he is also recorded to have said: "Properties came and I accepted them. I agree that owning properties relates to worldly affairs, but I do not hate worldly affairs . . . I used to accept anything if given to me. Moneys were given only on my behalf . . . ." He further declared that persons who were looking after the activities of the Ashrama were only doing his will.

So it seems, for the sake of maintaining general order and continuity in the affairs of Sri Ramanasramam, he choose to imply ownership of the properties to himself. And knowing full well a time would come when his physical presence would be withdrawn, he favored a hereditary form of management to be established. It was believed that there was no other means of ensuring this but through a Will. So a Will was drafted in 1938.

K. Sundaram Chetty, a retired high court judge from Salem, was entrusted with the work. When the draft was ready, the Maharshi was led to the present 'Stores' building where a half dozen senior devotees of social distinction were waiting. Clause by clause the Will was read out, discussed and a few alterations were made. Then the Maharshi was asked if he clearly understood and agreed with each clause. Only when his consent was given did they go on to the next clause. Bhagavan, who was not in the practice of signing his name, affixed a mark (X) on every page of the Will, indicating his approval, and as a final authorization he made a line in lieu of a signature. The line followed this declaration: 'In token of my execution of this document I affix my mark and also authorise G. Sambasiva Rao to sign for me in my presence as I have not been in the habit of affixing my signature.'

The final document was signed by witnesses and the Maharshi then offically filed the Will for registration by handing it over to the Sub-Registrar of Tiruvannamalai. He actually told this Sub-Registrar that he has executed this Will and then requested him to register it.

It appears that the learned devotees took great pains to insure that no loopholes regarding the Will's authenticity and powers could arise. But several years later the Ashram authorities decided that there were some apparent loopholes in the document. Another Will was drawn up and the manager, along with his supporters, approached Bhagavan and explained the situation. The Sage was then lying in the New Hall already stricken with his final illness. When he was requested to certify and sign the new Will he flatly refused. "Is there not a Will already?" he asked. And there the matter ended.

The prudence of having such a Will executed was soon realized after the Maharshi's Mahanirvana. Several cases have already gone before the courts regarding ownership and management. This Will has done more to insure the stability and managed growth of Sri Ramanasramam than any other writ.

With Niranjanananda Swami's son, T. N. Venkataraman, and all his three sons, now fully engaged in managing the affairs of Sri Ramanasramam, the benefits of the Sage's decision in having a hereditary management is fully being realized. And who could actually doubt that the Maharshi's decision would not turn out to be the best decision.

The 1,500 word text of the actual Will has two parts. First, a 700 word biographical declaration, and then a nine item Schedule of Properties.

'I did not belong to any order of Sannyasis, but if a name has to be given for my status, I am an Atyasramite. In course of time several contributions in the shape of moneys came to be made as gifts to me, and with those moneys, halls, store-rooms and other buildings were built, and also wells and ponds and other amenities came into existence. All the properties hereunder described and comprised in what is called 'Sri Ramanasramam' (and the accretions thereto) are dedicated by me to the Idol already installed and consecrated therein, viz., Sri Mathrubhutheswara Swami and also to the Idol or Statue as my symbol to be installed and consecrated after my demise on my Samadhi at a suitable place in the Asramam itself. I appoint my brother, Niranjanananda Swamy, as the sole manager. After him his son, T. N. Venkatarama Iyer, will be the sole manager. This right of management or trusteeship will vest as a hereditary right in the latter's family so as to devolve successively on his lineal male descendants from generation to generation. As far as possible, make 'Sri Ramanasramam' a centre for the diffusion of spiritual knowledge and a place of sanctity by affording scope for the fulfillment of objects germane to the advancement of spirituality. After meeting the necessary expenses of the Asramam viz., the Pooja, Naivedyam, etc., of the Idols, the Manager will take out of the surplus income what is necessary for the maintenance of himself and his family.'

Today, Sri Ramanasramam covers an area of fourteen acres. The sanctified Mathrubhutheswara Temple and the spacious Samadhi Hall are surrounded by guest houses containing about fifty units. Also, there are two dormitories, a dispensary, a Vedic school for boys, a gosala for cows, offices, a book store, a large kitchen and dining hall, the famed Old Hall where the Maharshi lived for over twenty years, wells, gardens, a coconut grove and other structures and facilities all aesthetically arranged and studiously maintained. Another guest-house compound across the street contains two dormitories, guest houses with twenty units, and a three story structure housing Sri Ramana Centenary Library. On the Hill Sri Ramanasramam has custody of Skandasramam and has recently acquired the Virupaksha Cave, where the Maharshi lived for about fifteen years.

The renown of Sri Ramana Maharshi and Sri Ramanasramam has been steadily growing since the demise of the Sage. This growth will certainly continue, as greater numbers of seekers from around the world experience the efficacy of the Maharshi's teachings, supported by his continued guidance and grace. The Will of the Sage is an important document that will insure the smooth transmission of Atma Jnana, Self Knowledge, to a weary world, suffering under the illusion that the Self is limited to this empirical body.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar MSN Toolbar Get it now!

• 4 years later...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~- - - - - - THE MAHARSHI - - - - - -Jan-Feb 2009 Vol. 19, No. 1- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -please download this issue from: 'The Maharshi' Jan-Feb 2009- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -1. Activity, Help Not Hindrance

Viswanatha Swami clarifies the intricate balance between work and sadhana and the method to make work an asset to our sadhana.2. Reminders

G. V. Subbaramayya moved closely with the Maharshi and received his guidance and grace in all matters. In this article he delineates on the most important lessons he learned from the Master, and encouraging us to never forget them on our path to liberation.3. A Haven Called Palakothu

Palakothu was a forested area with only one structue existing there prior to Alagammal's Samadhi and shed built over it. Over the years it was the home for many sadhus attached to the Maharshi. In this article an illustrated chronological history of Palakothu is presented.4. How My Father Came to the Maharshi

The remarkable story of how a spiritually advanced soul got totally absorbed in Ramana's Sannidhi (presence) on his very first visit.~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

• 5 months later...
Guest guest

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

THE MAHARSHI

July-August 2009 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Vol.19, No.4

"The Sri Ramana Gita" of B.V.NarasimhaswamIn a previously unpublished manuscript, B.V.Narasimhaswami, with the assistance of the Maharshi, recasts Ganapati Muni's Sri Ramana Gita into conversational question and answer form.

"Aham and Aham-Vritti"In this unique chapter of the Maharshi's Gospel twenty pointed and well articulated questions are put to the Maharshi. With eloquence, subtlety and patience the Master dissects the subject for the dauntless questioner.

"Silence and Effort," by By M.Anantanarayan

"Testimony" by G.V.SubbaramayyaThe current issue can be viewed or downloaded at :www.arunachala.org/newsletter/2009/jul-aug.pdf ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

• 1 month later...

THE MAHARSHI

Sep/Oct 2009 ------------ Vol. 19, No. 5

Page 1. "The Sri Ramana Gita of B. V. Narasimhaswami"

Part II of BVN's recasting of the Sri Ramana Gita in conversational form, with chapters 2 and 3.

Page 3. "Maurice Frydman"

This profile of a devotee was written by Dr. M. Sadashiva Rao. The author had a long intimate associating with Frydman and in his article he highlights his personality and accomplishments. This account is followed by an incident from Frydman's last illness, and his insightful article titled "Readiness".

Page 5. Bring the Mind under Control

In answer to Rama's question on how to restrain the cosmic illusion, Vasistha gives a straightforward powerful answer on how to overcome the mind.

Page 6. Maharshi's Teachings and Modern Scientific Thought

K.K.Nambiar reminiscences about his experiences with Bhagavan in the light of recent developments in scientific knowledge.

Page 7. Advent at Arunachala

Announcement of September programs in Nova Scotia and New York.

The Sep-Oct issue is available here in Acrobat pdf format

• 2 months later...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Maharshi

Sep/Oct 2009 ------------ Vol.19, No.6

1. The "Sri Ramana Gita" of B.V.Narasimahaswami, Part III

Chapter four of the newly-discovered manuscript, recasting the Ramana Gita in conversational form

2. A Day with Bhagavan, by P.L.N.Sharma

A disciple of Mahatma Gandhi tells of his visits to the Maharshi and instructions he received on how to control the mind.

3. Plunge the Pure Mind Into the Heart, by Swami Chidbhavananda

This Swami of the Ramakrishna Order tells how he followed this instruction of the Maharshi in his presence and the "indescribable" experience that followed.

4. The Ribhu Gita

This first complete Sanskrit translation with transliteration and English translation is now available, along with an 11-hour recording of all the text on a MP3 CD.

5. The Boy Will Have No Next Life

A remarkable story of the death of a child at Sri Ramanasramam.

6. Letters and Comments

Two questions, summarized as "I know, but how to break free?" and "What does 'diving' mean?" are answered.

7. Announcement of the 130th Jayanti of Sri Ramana Maharshi

• 1 month later...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The Maharshi

Jan/Feb 2010

Vol.20, No.1~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ The Jan-Feb 2010 issue is available here in Acrobat pdf format~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Table of Contents

1. What is the Hridaya (Heart or Centre)?

Corresponding to chapter 5 in Sri Ramana Gita, this article is B. V. Narasimhanswami's recasting of the text in its original conversational form. He took the help of the Maharshi in this work and had him go through the text, making corrections.

2. The Nature of the Heart

S.S.Cohen questions Bhagavan Ramana on the Heart and gets suitable replies.

3. T.R.Kanakammal

Her sudden passing on the morning of Sri Ramana Maharshi's 130th Jayanti celebration, standing before his Samadhi Shrine, speaks of a lifelong dedication and devotion to her Master and Lord, Sri Ramana.

4. Cessation of Mental Activities

The Maharshi provides simple and clear methods to stop the whirling wheel of thoughts and remain fixed in our True Nature.~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~