IndiaDivine.org

Consciousness, By T. P. Ramachandra Iyer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ConsciousnessBy T. P. Ramachandra Iyer

MY special subject in college was philosophy and so I had some knowledge of both Eastern and Western systems of thought, and to some extent I was conscious of this. My first appearance in the Old Hall set me free from any such ridiculous feelings. When I entered the Hall there was a discussion going on about the nature of Self and of consciousness and unconsciousness. Book learning being fresh in my mind, I began to express what I had read about the various grades of consciousness in Western systems, and particularly mentioned and explained the super-conscious and subconscious. Sri Bhagavan listened and reacted sharply and remarked: "What is, is only Consciousness. It is only with reference to something that is, that you can postulate a super or sub state to it. Only to that which exists can you postulate higher or lower grades; you never talk of adding to or subtracting from nonexistence. Consciousness is Existence and every living being agrees that it exists; so that which is, is consciousness. Consciousness is Truth; other postulations of it are the creation of ignorance, clouding the mind but appealing to the intellect. Peel off the postulations, ignore the supras and subs and be as you are. You ARE: that is the truth known even to a child. Truth is simple and direct. Being always IS, it knows no variation. That which IS - Consciousness - has neither appearance nor disappearance. Therefore, what exists is Consciousness, call it by any name, Self, God, Atman, Brahman ...."

I did not only hear the words of Bhagavan but experienced something else also. I felt and experienced my nature, dived deep into my consciousness and swam in the ocean of Bliss. I fell prostrate before Bhagavan and cried aloud within myself: “O Bhagavan! My Master! Dispeller of my darkness! Obeisance to you! Accept me as your servant!” How can I speak of the joy and bliss I experienced that day, which still surges in me by the Grace of the Master, Sri Ramana Sat-Guru!

-- The Mountain Path, October 1966

taken from The Maharshi Newsletter , Nov/Dec 2004

http://ramana-maharshi.org/publish/newsletters.htm