IndiaDivine.org

Lucy Cornellsen - Hunting the I , #1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

INVESTIGATION

Are you happy?

When you reply with the counterquestion 'What is happiness?' that means that you have already observed how brittle, how transient and short-lived your so-called happiness is. But maybe what we have in mind was not happiness at all, but only pleasure?

'Pleasure' means the fulfilment of some desire or the removal of something unpleasant. But experience teaches that, after some desire has been fulfilled, two other ones will emerge, and after something unpleasant has been removed, something else of a similar kind will present itself and obstruct our intention to enjoy ourselves. We try and try again to change circumstances and conditions; is it our birthright to be happy?

It is.

Then why have we to struggle and to fight and still miss it?

Because of a single error of ours: We do not know ourselves properly, and by that same error everything else is spoiled. Nor do we know what happiness is.

Real happiness needs no struggle nor endeavour, no reason nor cause; it is the inherent in the real "I". However you and I, we live on a wrong "I", as it were. That is the mistake which has to be removed before we can claim our birthright on real happiness.

So says Ramana, the Maharshi. And he advises us to dive deep into ourselves with the questionL'Who Am I?'

to be continued

~ taken from

Hunting the "I"

By Lucy Cornellsen

Search presents - Jib Jab's 'Second Term'