IndiaDivine.org

Meditation and concentration - #8

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Q: I practise hatha yoga and I also meditate `I am Brahman'. After a few moments of this meditation, a blank prevails, the brain gets heated and a fear of death arises. What should I do?

A: `I am Brahman' is only a thought. Who says it ? Brahman itself does not say so. What need is there for it to say it ? Nor can the real `I' say so. For `I' always abides as Brahman. To be saying it is only a thought. Whose thought is it ? All thoughts are from the unreal `I', that is the `I'-thought. Remain without thinking. So long as there is thought there will be fear.

Q: As I go on thinking of it there is forgetfulness, the brain becomes heated and I am afraid.

A: Yes, the mind is concentrated in the brain and hence you get a hot sensation there. It is because of the `I'-thought. When the `I'-thought arises fear of death arises simultaneously. With regard to forgetfulness, so long as there is thought there will be forgetfulness. First there is the thought `I am Brahman', then forgetfulness supervenes. Forgetfulness and thought are for the `I' thought only. Hold on to it and it will disappear like a phantom. What remains over is the real `I' and that is the Self. `I am Brahman' is an aid to concentration since it keeps off other thoughts. When that one thought alone persists, see whose thought it is. It will be found to be from `I'. From where is the `I'-thought ? Probe into it, the `I'-thought will vanish, and the supreme Self will shine forth of itself. No further effort is needed. When the one real `I' remains alone, it will not be saying `I am Brahman'. Does a man go on repeating `I am a man'? Unless he is challenged, why should he declare himself a man? Does anyone mistake himself for an animal that he should say, 'No, I am not an animal, I am a man'? Similarly, Brahman or `I' being the only existing reality, there is no one there to challenge it and so there is no need to be repeating `I am Brahman'.

Q: Why should one adopt this self-hypnotism by thinking on the unthinkable point? Why not adopt other methods like gazing into light, holding the breath, hearing music, hearing internal sounds, repetition of the sacred syllable om or other mantras?

A: Light-gazing stupefies the mind and produces catalepsy of the will for the time being, but it secures no permanent benefit. Breath control temporarily benumbs the will but it is not permanent. It is the same with listening to sounds, unless the mantra is sacred and secures the help of a higher power to purify and raise the thoughts.

>> taken from >> Be As You Are, The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi>> Edited by David Godman