IndiaDivine.org

important comments on the way

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Letters and Comments

Finding a Guru

The ancients say that by the accumulation of meritorious deeds over many lives we gain the company of a Jnani, or fully-enlightened person. And also, when we are ripe for such an association it will happen automatically.

This does not mean that we should sit and wait for it to happen. When the Maharshi was asked, "How to find the Guru?" He replied very simply: "By meditation." This means we should not go running around looking for some Mahatma to give us realization. When we have made sufficient effort and have matured spiritually, the Guru Himself will come to us. No effort will be required to find Him or benefit by Him. The fact is, He is already guiding us from within and we must turn within to our Source, and it is there where we will find Him and experience Him as our own Self.

By applying this kind of faith in the Master's words and acting on them with sincere devotion and perseverance, we will surely find the Master, and receive His Grace.

It is the experience of many seekers living today that Sri Ramana Maharshi guides those aspirants who turn to Him and sincerely practice his teachings. That was his promise to us before leaving the world scenen - Editor

Dream

I had a dream, and although it was very short, it was certainly one of the most impressive dreams I ever had. I dreamed I was sitting in the Old Hall facing Bhagavan. Then he gave me a look, the same kind of look described by so many like Paul Brunton, F. H. Humphrys, etc. I felt indescribable peace and joy. Even now it still gives me the creeps (I hope this is the right term) and tears are in my eyes whenever I recall that dream.

Now my question: Is it possible that this was an initiation by look? I have read that this is possible in dreams too. If so, what is the significance of such an initiation? Or was it just an ordinary dream made of impressions and memories?

- A Young Devotee from Europe

It was a very wonderful dream you had of Bhagavan in the Old Hall. Yes, it happens like that. He comes to us in our dreams just as he came to others in their waking state. There is not much difference between the two states and both are real or both are unreal, from whichever perspective they are viewed.

For a devotee it is real, and these divine dreams are often more potent experiences than waking state experiences. You are fortunate that Bhagavan has blessed you. Have no doubts. Many other sincere souls have had similar experiences of Sri Bhagavan. He is our teacher and Guru and He will provide us with everything we need to realize Him as the Self. If we have faith in this, we need nothing else - Editor

Bhakti or Jnana

I have doubts if the path of Self-enquiry is the right one for me, especially after reading The Teachings of Ramana Maharshi in His Own Words, by Arthur Osborne. Bhagavan enjoined the devotees to practice Self-enquiry in almost all cases, but Sri Shankara, for instance, did not. There is a well known devotee in Germany who visits Sri Ramanasramam every year. He told me that it is very difficult to meditate with 'Who am I?' and that it is of use only for advanced souls, and that many have wasted their time with it because they have not been mature enough. On the other hand, Annamalai Swami said in his book, "If you feel drawn to Self-enquiry then somehow practice it. All other paths are indirect." (This sentence is my translation from a German translation of Living by the Words of Bhagavan.) Also, Arthur Osborne wrote that Bhagavan made the path of Self-enquiry

accessible to all and that in ancient times it was only for highly advanced souls.

If there is another path that suits me, then it is the path of bhakti. What do you think, would it be better for me to meditate on the Self or to do japa? Or is it combinable? Is it good to think of God in the form of Bhagavan in everyday life (which is so joyful) and meditate at home with 'Who am I?'. If I should go the path of bhakti, why do I feel that Bhagavan is my Master? His teachings are the only ones that satisfy my intellect, but it has not satisfied my heart so far.

- Same Young Devotee from Europe

You are a devotee. Have no doubts about this. There is no contradiction in Bhagavan's teachings regarding the path of devotion and that of knowledge. We can practice Self-enquiry and still be a devotee. Bhagavan is the Self. We pray to Him and practice His teachings to the best of our ability. That is all. If at times we feel unable to do Self-enquiry, we sing His praises, we remember Him by taking His Name. And when the mind is strong and still, we direct our attention to the Source of the breath, the Source of the sound, the Source of the "I". That is all. We are His children and he watches over us. He knows our sincerity and how we are trying to follow his directions. He will save us ultimately. His Grace is there for us. He is there for us. He is not dead. You are a devotee and Bhagavan is your Guru. Do not doubt this for a second –

Editor

THE MAHARSHI

May/June 1997Vol. 7 - No. 3

Produced & Edited byDennis HartelDr. Anil K. Sharma