letters and comments

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

THE MAHARSHI

May/June 2001Vol. 11 - No. 3

Produced & Edited byDennis HartelDr. Anil K. Sharma

Letters and Comments

I was wondering if someone could help clarify a confusion I have over one of Ramana's points.

He states that we are not the doers.... Yet, if we are not the doers, then who is, if all is one consciousness?

I have heard from the Advaita side that because we are not the doers, then apparently we are not responsible for our actions.... How can this not be a harmful teaching? Haven't all the religions and countless masters encouraged people to act in loving ways?

I would really appreciate any guidance whatsoever. Thank you and blessings to you...

- An American Seeker

The teaching is correct: "We are not the doers." But as long as we live an ego-centered life we are unable to experience the truth of this teaching and will have to suffer the consequences of our actions. That is called the Law of Karma.

Once we completely surrender to the Higher Power, or completely efface the ego by Self-enquiry and realize the Self, we know for certain that we are not the doer. It is an ever-present experience. Up to this point we must make effort to realize the truth that we cannot, in fact, make any efforts, that we are only tools in the the hands of the Higher Power. Such are the contradictions in verbalizing spiritual truths.

No true teacher will ever say you are not responsible for your actions. Only when individuality is lost, when we are fixed in the realization of the One Reality, are we not responsible for our actions. In that state there is no one but the Higher Power to be responsible - Editor

Mail Mobile Take Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.