IndiaDivine.org

His Living Presence

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Introduction to Guru Ramana - His Living Presence

By Swami Ramanananda Saraswati

Swami Ramanananda Saraswati, formerly Sri T. N. Venkataraman, President of Sri Ramanasramam, has provided the following Introduction to the recently-released Guru Ramana video. On an elevated spot, with the majestic Arunachala Mountain ascending in the background, the Swami gives this modest summary of his own remarkable life, overlaid with archival photos, movies and music.

It has been fifty years since the Maha Nirvana of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi. I had the rare, good fortune of being present on the night of April 14, 1950 when a brilliant star slowly sailed across the sky at the very moment the Maharshi took his last mortal breath.

Even more than this, my destiny has been uniquely connected to the Maharshi from my birth. My father, Nagasundaram Iyer, was the younger brother of Sri Bhagavan. Not long after I was born my mother passed away, and when I was three years old my father took sannyas and joined Sri Bhagavan and their mother Alagamma, at Skandasramam.

I was then lovingly raised by Bhagavan’s sister, Alamelu, and her husband, Sri Pitchu Iyer. Since they had no children of their own, and none of my father’s brothers had any issues, I became the only remaining descendant in my family’s line.

As a child I was brought to Tiruvannamalai two or three times each year to see Bhagavan, my father, and Grandmother Alagamma when she was still living. Sometimes I was left in the care of Bhagavan and stayed overnight in the ashram. Like a mother, He would put me to sleep at night and then wake and wash me in the morning.

My life flowed on smoothly. I was married in 1929. All my seven children were brought to Bhag-avan soon after their birth and He was pleased to bless them by giving them their names.

With Sri Bhagavan’s consent and blessings, I was requested in 1938 to move to Tiruvannamalai and assist my father, Sri Niranjanananda Swami, in managing the Ashram.

After my father was absorbed in Sri Bhagavan in 1953, I succeeded him as the Ashram manager and President.

In all humility, I can say that Bhagavan has showered on me incredible grace and blessings from my birth to this very day.

In 1984, my wife Nagalakshmi attained the holy feet of Sri Bhagavan. I continued serving in the Ashram until 1994, at which time I resigned, handed over the Presidency of the Ashram to my eldest son, Sri V. S. Ramanan, and took the vows of sannyas.

I now live a quiet life in the Ashram, remembering the holy presence of the Master and thanking Him for His innumerable blessings on me and all His devotees the world over.

After the Maharshi’s Maha Nirvana, we published many reminiscences about Bhagavan written by devotees who moved closely with Him. These books are a valuable testimony to the ever-present, divine personality of the Master.

What you are now about to see is yet another testimony to the living presence of Sri Ramana Maharshi. You will hear from the lips of those who had the wonderful privilege of living under the watchful, loving eye of Sri Maharshi.

I have known these devotees since I came here in 1938. We were like one family, and Bhagavan was our father, mother, our everything.

He continues to attract sincere devotees to Him from all over the world as He lives, not only here in Sri Ramanasramam, but in the Hearts of all.

THE MAHARSHI

July / August 2002Vol. 12 - No. 3

Produced & Edited byDennis HartelDr. Anil K. Sharma