IndiaDivine.org

Letters and Comments

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Letters and Comments

Mindfulness

I wonder if you could help me with a question I have been troubled with lately. I don't recall Bhagavan addressing this. My dilemma is this: How much attention to devote to my present experience, whether good or bad, being 'mindful' if you will. And when to turn from this experience and inquire 'To whom does this occur?' When done too early this technique can seem to reject being present in the world. I hope I have made myself clear. Any answer you could give would be appreciated.

Being mindful, being aware in the present, as you have mentioned, is useful for developing detachment. Detachment frees the mind and allows it to sink within, or to dissolve. When to turn from this practice to enquiry depends on the pakva (fitness) of the sadhaka. The Vichara technique does not reject "being present in the world," but rather provides a means to realize that you are present 'as' the world. Nothing will be separate. In short, being 'mindful' during your activities is good, but one should, with one-pointed mind, spend some time daily seeking the source of the mind. As this practice deepens, one will discover there is no such thing as 'mind', only the Self - Editor

Why Creation?

I have a burning question which won't leave me alone. After studying and doing some meditation for several years, I can't shake this. Why was all this creation in the FIRST place. It can't be because we need to become conscious of our true Self. Our Self already is conscious, was conscious and will always be conscious. In all the Maharshi's readings, he always ignores this type of question and says, "Just go inside and ask who it is that is asking the question." I have done this very thing for many months and the question subsides but doesn't leave me alone. I turned to the writings of Sri Aurobindo which helped to look at it from a total evolutionary process; but it still seems silly, at best, and vague as to 'why a creation?'- if this world we live in is an illusion anyway. Any help or suggestions for reading materials would be a blessing to me. Thank you for

your indulgence.

"Why the creation in the first place?" That is a good question for the mind. But are we the mind? We, the created substance, are in an unfortunate position to try and understand what was on the Creator's mind when producing all of this, if there is such a thing as 'mind' at all for the Creator. No intellectual answer to this question can be correct, for the truth lies beyond the realm of the created - us, the individuals. So what to do? Either forget about the whole matter and go on with your normal life, or seek the solution to this question by trying to understand what it is that has been created -"me". "Me" or "I" is perfectly apparent to all, but what is not apparent is what this "I" is, where did it came from, where does it go, and what is its true nature. This investigation is worth pursuing, because the Maharshi and other sages from time

immemorial have declared that the answer to this question resolves all other questions. Once we know our Self - not intellectually, but by direct experience - then this nagging question about the purpose of creation is put to rest - Editor

THE MAHARSHI

May/June 2002Vol. 12 - No. 3

Produced & Edited byDennis HartelDr. Anil K. Sharma

Discover Stay in touch with email, IM, photo sharing more. Check it out!