IndiaDivine.org

My Life and Quest, Arthur Oborne, #1

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Arthur Osborne - by Katya Douglas [Osborne]

He was a very special person and father, but as he was the only one I had ever known I perhaps did not quite realise his uniqueness until much later. Of course some things were outstanding even to me. He writes about being quite gregarious as a young man; be that as it may, by the time he was an older man, and my father, he had become quite the opposite. He would talk, but he nver chattered. I could ask him about anything that I wanted to know and get a concise answer, but he never talked randomly or just to fill a silence. He was a man of silence and he wore it like a cloak.

A couple of stories I remember sharply illustrate this quality in him.

Two men once came all the way from Delhi to Tiruvannamalai, especially to meet him, and my mother seated them all on the veranda while she carried on with her work. After about an hour, hearing no sound from outside she assumed the men had left and came out. She was startled to see the three of them still sitting together in silence for so long. He had no idea why she was upset. He said that he thought they wanted to be quiet but that if they had anything to talk to him about they only had to say so!

.................to be continued

taken from: Foreword - My Life and Quest, by Arthur Oborne