Fw: Thought for the Day 7/4/05

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

- John MacEnulty

eman8tions

Monday, July 04, 2005 10:04 AM

Thought for the Day 7/4/05

Neediness gets us into trouble. It is the germ of so many ills.After all, what does temptation require but neediness. If you're not needy, there's no temptation.Neediness is not necessarily intelligent either. It may crave things that are actually counter productive to what we truly want, blind us to all but its interpretation of what we need. The need can become an obsession and it's off to the races for something that we need but doesn't meet our needs.The real need is a spiritual need. That hunger is not as easy to fill as the lesser things that urge us. We need love, so we crave sex. We're hungry, so we crave nutritionless potato chips. We are afraid, so we seek drugs or alcohol.A friend once told me the smartest thing he ever did was nothing. Doing not doing becomes so wise.Here's how meditation can help: We need to learn to not act on the things that pass through our consciousness, to do not doing.Not doing is a powerful action.There is a powerful cleansing, too, that occurs when we become meditation's observer self. We allow and come to understanding of so many things.It just takes time and patience. Wisdom comes from time and patience. Inner peace comes from time and patience. That's what meditation is about: time and patience.Neediness is about right now, immediate, impatient.Let go, let doing not doing.Emanations 2005 by John MacEnulty7/4/05, St. Louis, MO Emanations is now a BLOG at http://emanations.blog-city.com/Web site address: http://Emanations.net/Donations in support of these writings may be sent to John MacEnulty, PO Box 1925, St. Louis MO 63118or go to the website and use PayPal to make a gift.And if you are receiving this as a forward you may for free by simply going to eman8tions and jumping through their hoops, or you can write to eman8tions and I'll add you myself.

Guest guest

Dear Gloria

please feel "hugged"

thank you so much for your work of LOVE

in love in GD

michael

Gloria Lee <glee wrote:

- John MacEnulty

eman8tions

Monday, July 04, 2005 10:04 AM

Thought for the Day 7/4/05

Neediness gets us into trouble. It is the germ of so many ills.After all, what does temptation require but neediness. If you're not needy, there's no temptation.Neediness is not necessarily intelligent either. It may crave things that are actually counter productive to what we truly want, blind us to all but its interpretation of what we need. The need can become an obsession and it's off to the races for something that we need but doesn't meet our needs.The real need is a spiritual need. That hunger is not as easy to fill as the lesser things that urge us. We need love, so we crave sex. We're hungry, so we crave nutritionless potato chips. We are afraid, so we seek drugs or alcohol.A friend once told me the smartest thing he ever did was nothing. Doing not doing becomes so wise.Here's how meditation can help: We need to learn to not act on the things that pass through our

consciousness, to do not doing.Not doing is a powerful action.There is a powerful cleansing, too, that occurs when we become meditation's observer self. We allow and come to understanding of so many things.It just takes time and patience. Wisdom comes from time and patience. Inner peace comes from time and patience. That's what meditation is about: time and patience.Neediness is about right now, immediate, impatient.Let go, let doing not doing.Emanations 2005 by John MacEnulty7/4/05, St. Louis, MO Emanations is now a BLOG at http://emanations.blog-city.com/Web site address: http://Emanations.net/Donations in support of these writings may be sent to John MacEnulty, PO Box 1925, St. Louis MO 63118or go to the website and use PayPal to make a gift.And if you are receiving

this as a forward you may for free by simply going to eman8tions and jumping through their hoops, or you can write to eman8tions and I'll add you myself.