IndiaDivine.org

Jackie the dog

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

posted by David Godman to RamanaMaharshi

Jackie the dog, who was eventually buried alongside the deer and the crow, wasbrought to the ashram when he was very young. He never mixed with other dogs,nor did he play much. Instead, he lived the life of a sadhu. He would sit infront of Bhagavan on an orange cloth that had been provided by a devotee andstare intently at Bhagavan’s eyes. Because Bhagavan had a lot of love for him,and because he always behaved in such an exemplary fashion, he was always verywell looked after. Ramaswami Pillai in particular took good care of him. Everyday he would wash Jackie with soap and water and remove any insects that hadattached themselves to his body. Whenever prasad was distributed, Jackie wouldnot eat until Bhagavan began to eat his own portion. On such occasions he wouldwatch Bhagavan’s face intently. As soon as Bhagavan put a morsel into his mouth,Jackie would start to eat his own portion.

I remember one incident concerning Jackie that occurred while Bhagavan wassitting by the well, surrounded by devotees. Jackie was sitting with thedevotees, looking intently at Bhagavan, when a stray dog entered the ashramthrough the back gate. Jackie, distracted by the newcomer, began to bark.Bhagavan gently chided him by saying, ‘You just close your eyes. You justclose your eyes. You just close your eyes. If you do this you will not be ableto see the dog.’Jackie obeyed at once but some of the rest of us continued to look at thestray dog.When I saw what was happening I laughed and remarked, This is a goodteaching. It is not only for Jackie, it is for everyone.’Jackie lived in the ashram for many years but I cannot remember how hefinally passed away. It must have happened sometime in the 1930s while I wassupervising the building works because I remember constructing, at Bhagavan’srequest, the small samadhi shrine that is over his body.I found the following account of Jackie’s death in an unpublished account byNarasimha Rao:‘In the early days of our going to the ashram [early 1930s] there was a dogby name Jack. It was then very sick. Bhagavan arranged a soft bed for it and wasattending it very affectionately, attending to his wants. After a few days itgrew more weak, and was emitting a bad smell. It made no difference toBhagavan’s attention to it. He used to take it in his arms, and holding it tohimself, caress it lovingly. Finally it expired in his hands. It was buried inthe ashram precincts with a monument over it. The dog did not show any sign ofsuffering and bore it bravely.’From “Living by the Words of Bhagavan”