IndiaDivine.org

Sri Ramana Darshanam - [02]

Rate this topic

Guest guest

3 The Selfward look and words of grace

The supreme state, which for a long time had been imagined to belong exclusively to divine beings such as maharshis and the great munis, was bestowed with ease by Bhagavan upon all those who approached him. The mode of teaching adopted by the ancient gurus was to indicate through the ‘I am’ feeling the natural state of man. Bhagavan followed not only this method, but also the modern method by explaining the natural state to those who did not have the capacity to experience it through their subtle intuition. This, in fact, was the reason why innumerable devotees regarded him as their Sadguru. To those devotees who complained that, despite staying in his presence for a long time, they were not able to experience his grace palpably, Bhagavan had the following words of grace:

"Bhagavan is always bestowing grace. To regard the real as unreal and the unreal as real is alone ignorance. You yourself are always shining naturally as ‘I’, ‘I’. Does Bhagavan exist apart from that being-consciousness? It is the attention turned towards the body that causes the distinctions between ‘you’ and ‘I’. If, through Self-attention, it [attention to the body] is itself transformed into being-consciousness, and if one realises that the reality is only one, where, then, is the scope for saying ‘you’ or ‘I? Remaining still, having realised the truth as it is, is the Guru’s grace."

(p. 10)

SRI RAMANA DARSHANAM ~ by Sadhu Natanananda ~ edited by David Godman Sri Ramanashramam, 2002

http://davidgodman.org/books/ramanadarsanam.shtml