IndiaDivine.org

Sri Ramana Darshanam - [06]

Rate this topic

Guest guest

30 False identifications

Although everyone knows intellectually that consciousness is different from the body, our actual experience is to equate them as one and the same. In describing our experiences we say, ‘I thought’, ‘I saw’, ‘I ate’, ‘I went’, ‘I did’, and so on. The instruments of mind and body that perform the actions are different from the underlying consciousness, but it is the nature of the ignorant one to invariably identify himself with these various instruments of action. Man’s real nature is consciousness, which transcends all the senses and the mind. The practice of jnana consists of realising this truth, freeing oneself from false association, and learning to remain as the Supreme Self. If a lion cub brought up among sheep believes that it is a sheep, this is a delusion born of association. In the same way, the I-am-the-body belief of the jiva is a delusion caused by ignorance of its true nature. Just as the reflection is not apart from the

original, the reflected consciousness of jiva is not separate from the pure consciousness of Brahman. It is easy to get an intellectual conviction of the truth of one’s real nature through reasoning and scriptural study. However, it is rare indeed to experience one’s real nature as the Self. To gain an intellectual conviction of truth, discrimination alone will suffice, but to experience one’s real nature, sadhana accompanied by dispassion is essential. .........

When will this ignorance that has veiled the Self for eons come to an end by the attainment of true knowledge?The darkness, though present for eons in the cave, ceases immediately when a bright lamp is brought in. Ignorance is destroyed in the same way as soon as jnana arises. (Gitasara Talattu)...........

(p.53)

Sri Ramana DarsanamBy Sadhu NatananandaTranslated by Dr. VenkatasubramanianEdited by David Godman