IndiaDivine.org

Sri Ramana Darshanam - [09]

Rate this topic

Guest guest

59 Clarity of mind, bondage and liberation

The belief prevalent among the ignorant about the eclipsing of the sun by Rahu and Ketu is an ancient one. However, to one with the scientific outlook its falsity is revealed immediately. Similarly, the delusion present among the ignorant, according to which the Supreme Self is bound by ignorance and is liberated by true knowledge, is an ancient one. However, for one who sees with the vision of supreme reality, its illusory nature becomes obvious in no time. Darkness causes the illusion of a snake to appear in a rope. If this illusion is removed by light, the false snake does not reappear. In the same way, the I-am-the-body delusion that appeared in the Supreme Self because of ignorance does not reappear when the delusion is destroyed by true knowledge.

Those who have attained liberation will see as not-different-from-the-Self this whole world, which rises in the Self, which remains in the Self and which merges with Self. Will they see any contradiction in it? Here, other than me, nothing else exists. I swear to this. A gold ornament does not exist apart from gold. Changing the shape of gold and giving it names and differentiating it – I described myself in various ways. (Swarupa Saram)

This is the experience of the sages. Like the goldsmith who never loses sight of the gold even while he sees various ornaments, the jivanmukta never loses sight of the Self even as he perceives the various adjuncts. The great space [maha akasa] is named space-in-a-pot because of the adjunct [the appearance of the pot]. In the same way, the supreme space of consciousness is termed inner Self because of the adjunct [the body it appears in]. After the destruction of all traces of the ‘I’, the jivanmukta loses sight of the gross and subtle adjuncts, which then appear like burnt cloth.50

Even if we bear the burden of the family that follows us like a shadow, or even if the cloud called maya veils, we are certainly the sun of knowledge, shining as pure light and remaining as the witness. Whatever comes, whatever actions are performed, in whatever we may delight, we are only pure consciousness, remaining aloof and aware without becoming any of these.How was ignorance destroyed? How did knowledge of enquiry arise? How was the clarity, born of the experience of true knowledge, obtained? Other than myself, the Self, what do I know or see? (Swarupa Saram)

Sri Ramana DarsanamBy Sadhu NatananandaTranslated by Dr. VenkatasubramanianEdited by David Godman