IndiaDivine.org

Bhagavan on Silence - 2

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Q: Why doesn't the Maharshi help the masses by lecturing to them?Maharshi: Is God not working? Is He making speeches? Can work be done only through speech? Do you know the amount of work that can go on silently without any speech?

Q: I suppose you have realized God?

Editors note: The Maharshi remained silent, his eyes gazing into thedistance. When the baffled questioner had departed, the Maharshiexplained to his disciples that answering such questions was uselessand would lead to endless talk.

Maharshi: The meaning of significance of `I' is God. The experience of `I am' is to be still. Mowna is not just keeping your mouth shut. It is eternal speech. That state which transcends speech and thought is mowna.

Q: How can we achieve it?

M: Hold onto something firmly and trace it back to its source. Mownais the result of concentration. When practice becomes natural it will end in mowna. Meditation without mental activity is mowna. Subjugation of the mind is meditation, deep meditation is eternal speech. See the mind. You must stand aloof from it. you are not themind.

Q: How should we do all this?

M: The lack of the feeling that we are the Self is the root cause ofthe trouble. Have nothing to do with thoughts, and be, just be. It is the thoughts alone that create the hindrance, they are the trouble. Find out to whom the thoughts occur. As long as you think that a wrong self exists, it will appear to do so, but find out where it arises and it will disappear. Those who have discovered great truths, have done so in the still depths of the Self.