IndiaDivine.org

Returning to the MASTER Part One

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My Pilgrimage to Sri Ramanasramam

By Eleanor Pauline Noye

In the 1930s, Eleanor Pauline Noye began her spiral descent into despair, ill health and hopelessness. Throughout these difficult years she clung to an inexplicable faith that in India she would be restored to her former self.

In spite of ill health and depression, she embarked on a journey that brought her face to face with her ‘Lord of Love’.

Upon arriving in the Ashrama in 1939 she was caught in the web of the Master’s love, regained her health, peace of mind and soared into the eternal expanse of freedom and joy.

On her first visit to India she stayed at the Ashrama for ten months; subsequently, she made a second trip, arriving several months before the Master’s Mahanirvana in 1950.

Her joy of being with the Master, walking amidst a crowd of devotees directly behind him, is captured in the Archival Films. She kept in touch with the Ashrama from her California residence till her last days, in the mid 1970’s.

Returning to the Master

I changed my plans. Instead of going back to America by the next boat, I took the train, leaving Calcutta for Tiruvannamalai. Queer to say, I felt as though I were going home!

The tender way Bhagavan greeted me, as I stood before

him, will live in my heart always. I wept with joy knowing I was thrice blessed in being able to return to him. As I basked in his Eternal Sunshine in those silent hours of communion I was filled with his Grace.

It is a privilege to have some meals with the Master; to eat the food that he has handled is in itself a blessing. He would rise at dawn and help cut the vegetables, very often helping also to prepare special dishes that were delicious. The devotees prepared special food for me, and it was wholesome and good.

Bhagavan was always considerate to everyone, he wanted to be sure there was plenty of everything; and the rich and poor received the same kind of attention, as also the animals; no distinction was ever shown.

One day I saw Bhagavan stoop down and pick up three grains of rice. That simple act taught me much more than what I could have learnt by studying ten volumes on domestic economy which is so essential in present day life but is so difficult to practise.

Each day brought new lessons and Blessings. He grew nearer and dearer to me as time passed and my only wish was to be by his side.

End of part 1

To be continued

THE MAHARSHI

SEP/OCT 2005 VOL15 NO. 5