IndiaDivine.org

Mrs. Merston - Impressions and Reminiscences

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Impressions and Reminiscences

by Mrs. Merston

Paris 1937-1938. A small group of Ommenites meeting weekly to discuss Krishnamurti's and other teachings. All of us had read Paul Brunton's In Search of Secret India, so all knew the Maharshi by name and we had discussed his teaching too, but one of us, Pascaline Mallet had actually visited him in his Ashram and been much impressed. One day, she received from a friend whom she met there, a copy of his daily diary kept while at the ashram, and this she brought to read to us. A little later, Pascaline asked me to help her to translate Who Am I? into French. All this made so deep an impression on me that upon returning to India, and touring the South with a friend who was equally curious to see the great man so eulogised by Brunton, we decided to visit Tiruvannamalai to see him for ourselves.

That was in 1939, thus just twenty years ago, [written in 1959] Bhagavan drew me to Tiruvannamalai. All was new to me. I had known Krishnamurti, and Ouspenski and Gurdjieff, but never any Hindu Sage of the Advaitic tradition, yet, from the first moment in his presence he made me feel at home, and the peace of the little hall drew me as nothing had before. We had planned to stay for two days and my friend left as arranged, but still having two more days free before retuning to the north, I stayed on. When finally I had to leave, I knew that sometime I should return.

to be continued

Surpassing Love and Grace