IndiaDivine.org

The words of a Self-Realized Guru

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

This effect is part of what every religion presente, whether Buddhism, Christianity, Vedanta, or Sikhism that one must always be practicing "hearing" (Sravana), as it will result in "inner reflection" or "rememberance" (Manana) which leads to "perfect abiding" (Niddidyasana).

There are many texts that will have the effect, many of the sutras of Buddha and his after death Resurected manifestations that revealed the Vajrayana teachings, the several discourses of the Zen Patriarchs, the Gospels and Revalations of Resurected Christ, the Ramayana and the many non-dual Gitas, and the books re Ramana Maharshi, Nasagadatta Maharaj and others.

Important to all these is that a spiritual seeker (sadhak) have a daily Sadhana, which purifies the nadis, so that the body and mind begin to radiate, until the inner reflection is so pure that there is the sudden and spontaneous rememberance and radical awakening, attantion to the mind and body completely siscarded in the light of the Sun in the Heart.

Pieter

"Gloria Lee" <glee

Monday, April 10, 2006 4:46 AM; Fri, 7 Apr 2006 20:37:58 -0400The words of a Self-Realized Guru ,Harsha wrote:>The words of a Self-Realized Guru like Sri Ramana illuminate our mind and when it is ripe helps it to abide in the Self which is pure consciousness. David Godman: I remember a conversation I had with Maharaj on my first visit. I can't remember how we got round to the subject, but we ended up talking about the power of the Guru and the various channels it manifested through. I had been deeply impressed and deeply moved by I am That, and I told him so.DG: For several months I have been reading I am That. Through those words I felt a very strong connection with you and the teachings. Can one have a connection with a Guru simply by reading his words, or is it necessary to come in person to see him?Maharaj: The words will do their work wherever you hear or read them. You can come here and listen to them in person, or you can read them in a book. If the teacher is enlightened, there will be a power in them.DG: In my particular case I read the words of a Guru who was still alive, and those words compelled me to come here and see you. Perhaps your words had such a strong effect because you are still alive and teaching. I made contact with a living teacher, a living presence. What about a hypothetical case of someone picking up I am That in fifty years' time, and in a country several thousand miles away. That person will never have a chance to see you. Will those words still have the power to transform and awaken?Maharaj: Time and space exist in your mind, not in the Self. There is no limit to the power of the Self. The power of the Self is always present, always working, always the same. What varies is the readiness and willingness of people to turn their attention to it. If someone picks up this book ten thousand miles away in a thousand years' time, those words will do their work if the reader is in the right state to listen to and assimilate the words. He didn't actually say that one could get enlightened by reading the words of a dead Guru, but he was quite clear that the words of an enlightened being, even in book form, were charged with a power that future generations could tune into. I think I asked this particular question because of my relationship with Ramana Maharshi. I was the 'hypothetical' person in the question who had discovered the words of great but deceased Guru. I suppose I really wanted to know whether Ramana Maharshi could be the Guru for someone like me who had been born years after he passed away. Maharaj didn't really answer that question for me, but he did convince me that a considerable part of the power and the authority of Guru could be found in his recorded teachings.