IndiaDivine.org

Sri Ramana and the Teaching of Self-Inquiry

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

It is well known that Sri Ramana, for most of his life, was easily accessible to visitors. People could just go and sit near him and/or ask him questions. He did not always answer and sometimes remained silent. For those who were sincere and ready, he was always responsive in some way. Through a look, an off handed comment, or by giving detailed explanations and answering questions, he was responsive to the needs of those around him. The early devotees, like Kunju Swami, Annamalai Swami and so many others were yogis of the first rank. But like any ashram, Ramanashram was a mix. People of many different tendencies and temperaments and spiritual maturity came there at different times.Some times people came, and in asking questions of Sri Ramana, even argued with the Sage and demanded that answers satisfactory to them be given. Naturally, when they persisted in immature and aggressive behavior they were shown the door by other devotees and Ashram management. Sri Ramana at times commented that certain people simply were not the right type and were not ready. At other times he said that it was not the physical contact but the mental contact of a devotee (with Bhagavan) that was the critical factor. Mental contact with Bhagavan happens even today. That is the experience of many devotees even now. Sri Ramana is a living Guru as Milesji has explained (/Miles.htm).It should be kept in mind that Bhagavan never stood in front of Ashram and said, "Come everyone and ask me questions and I will answer them. Come one and come all. Ask me any question that you like, and we have the answers, etc." Bhagavan's central teaching is that all questions and thoughts etc., are dependent upon the aham vritii, the sense of "I". He would ask the questioner ultimately," Who has all these questions?" The questioner would have to say that, "I" have the questions. "So who is this "I", Bhagavan would say. "Find out the source of the "I" and your questions are automatically taken care of."Self-Inquiry is utterly simple and yet it is difficult to grasp and practice because the mind gets engaged in perceptions and loses sight of the perceiver. It requires a very subtle mind to fully grasp it. Bhagavan used to say that association with the wise (Satsang) ripens the mind and makes it mature to take upon the self-quest with the vigilance.Bhagavan used to say that there are two ways only to undermine the ego. First, one can surrender entirely to the Lord who sits in the Heart and is the primal Guru. The ability to surrender fully without reservation is the sign of a great soul. Such surrender calls forth the Grace that leads to Realization. Second, one can inquire to whom do these questions arise and for whom are all these perceptions? So becoming aware of the "I" sense and tracing it back to the unconditional Primal Being is the other way. --