IndiaDivine.org

Fw: [Newsletter] Arunachala; information and news of Shiva sacred mountain, South India

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Arunachala Grace News - May, 2007

Arunachala Tidbits

Arunachala Grace This May issue of Arunachala Grace News completes the end of our first year's publication cycle. We look forward to developing and widening the circulation of our newsletter (which will start with issue, June - 2007) during this upcoming year. Animal Welfare You may notice that there are several articles and narratives on birds in this month's Arunachala Grace News. In this respect we will continue in future Newsletters to put emphasis on the welfare of our animal brethren. Already this year, through the dedicated work of friends of animals, the culling of dogs on the streets of Arunachala has been stopped and in its place the Karuna Society's Tiruvannamalai chapter, is now offering free neutering operations to dogs and cats at their Chengham Road facility. Childrens' Park The children's park which Mountain of Medicine has been working on for the past two and a half years was successfully inaugurated on Sunday 29th April. This is the culmination of hard work, and has been possible only through the generosity of dear friends, the creativity of others, and the goodwill and support of the local administration, who in the last year have contributed funds. New Ashrams We hope next month to give a report on the development of Nithyananda's ashram here at Tiruvannamalai. As of this date we have been informed that no definite land commitment, for the development of an ashram facility, has been made by the Mother Meera (of Thalheim) organisation. Sparsa Tiruvannamalai Construction of the town's new 3-star hotel facility is progressing well and it is hoped that Sparsa Tiruvannamalai will be completed by June or July. To view photographs of the progress of the Hotel construction please check below link.

Hotel Construction

UN to preserve sacred sites

In a joint ARC and WWF Project, hundreds of thousands of sacred places around the globe are to be linked together in a new UN-backed network to try to preserve the world's fast-disappearing wild species. Sites range from Jerusalem's Garden Tomb; where more than 3,000 people gathered to celebrate Easter; to "skull caves" in Kenya, a Mongolian mountain revered as a living God to a "spiritual park" in the Peruvian Andes. Recently the United Nations Development Programme joined the world's main religions and leading conservation organisations in an effort to protect them from development or destruction. They plan to set up a new internationally recognised designation along the lines of Unesco's World Heritage sites. The new campaign, spearheaded by the Alliance of Religions and Conservation (ARC), set up by Prince Philip in 1995, aims to beat off threats, preserve new sites and revive sacred places that have already been despoiled. To learn more download the pdf file, 'Beyond Belief' at this site. As at this time Arunachala is not connected with any of the above. But it certainly sounds a possibility for the future.

Beyond Belief

Samudram Erie

This is a general transcript of ideas put forward at a meeting of the Tiruvannamalai Development Board, presided over by the Honourable Justice Venkattasami, and District Collector Sathyabratha Sahoo. Samudram Erie The Samudram Erie, which has been full for the last two years, is now home to thousands of migratory water birds. If one sits on the lake bund at sunset, it is possible to watch the sun set over the water, to view mount Arunachala in all His glory, and to partake of a truly wonderful natural spectacle as the diurnal birds come in to roost for the night in their thousands, while others fly out for their night feeding. The approach to the lake bund passes through an avenue of huge old banyan trees which host numerous fruit eating birds, and below the bund is an area of some 12 acres that the previous Municipal Commissioner had had the wonderful idea of reforesting, and for the past two years has been taken care of by Mountain of Medicine in cooperation with the Municipality. This provides further diverse habitat for a different range of bird species. It is believed that if steps were taken to protect this natural treasure, it would not only safeguard the future of the lake for the sake of the bird and other wild life, but would be a huge credit to the town's image, be an educational and leisure resource for local people, and would enrich the experience of visiting Thiruvannamalai for pilgrims and tourists. Thus the creation of a Thiruvannamalai bird sanctuary is proposed. The crucial factor in attracting the birds is the combination of water and good roosting/nesting sites. The trees that now emerge from the water were planted by the social forestry department, and would presumably be cut on contract at maturation. Whatever income is brought in through this channel could easily be offset through added tourist revenue if we were to cancel the contract on felling and allow the trees to remain as nesting sites for the birds. The second step would be to put a stop to any hunting around the lake, which at present is causing a threat to the birds. After these initial protection measures, we need not think that large scale civil works are needed, as they may do more to disturb the wildlife than benefit it. It is crucial that the inflow channels to the lake are well maintained to ensure seasonal filling, and the creation of an island as a nesting site may be considered. Vehicle parking can be taken care of at some distance from the site, with a nature walk created leading to the selected viewing points. At these viewing points we could set up pay-to-use telescopes for the further enjoyment of the bird-watchers, and small watchtowers or hides may be made. Benches could be provided atop the lake bund. It would be desirable to bring in experts on bird ecology to advise on certain points, such as: How to manage the fringes of the lake to maximise habitat diversity and feeding opportunities for the birds. Whether planting of certain species may help to attract further birds to the area. Whether introduction of certain fish and crustacean species would improve the feeding possibilities for the birds, and Whether present fishing activities are in any way detrimental to the bird life. ************************* We will continue giving updates on progress of the development of an Arunachala Samudram Erie Bird Sanctuary in future Newsletters

Herbal Farm

Photograph is of: B. Velmurugan Secretary – SRMNRS SRI RAMANAMAHARSHI NATURAL REMEDIES SOCIETY A Unit of Shanthimalai Research & Development Trust In ancient days, before the introduction of allopathic medicines, Indian medicines (Siddha, Ayurveda and Unani) were the only sources available to cure disease. Siddhar’s and traditional Doctors (local Nattuvaidhyars) were the founders of most herbal formulations. Shanthimalai Research and Development Trust is an organisation (NGO) dedicated to the development of medicinal plants and herbal medicines since 1995, through its unit ‘Medicinal Plants Conservation Park’. The organisation has been involved in the conservation and cultivation of medicinal plants and the production of herbal medicines since 1997. Since 2003 the organisation has been functioning independently under the name, 'Sri Ramana Maharshi Natural Remedies Society'. The objectives of the Society are: To help poor patients through effective alternate indigenous herbal medicines. Improve the local socio-economic status through integrated economic development programmes such as a Herbal plantation. Educate the community by educational programmes in herbal growth. Create employment opportunities for men and women in rural areas in herbal production. Offer proper training programmes in herbal growth and popularise the local traditional system of medicines by indigenous herbal plants. The 20 acre facility of the Society, which is located adjacent to the Girivalam pathway, comprises a medicinal plants forest (Ethno Medicinal Forest), nursery area, cultivation area, drugs production centre. The resources available at the facility includes; regular training programmes on medicinal plants, exhibitions, herbal treatment for common ailments with the help of an experienced Nattuvaidyar (local practitioner), research programmes on new herbal medicines and the development of an export unit.

Herbal Farm Website

Wesak Legend

There are three major spiritual Festivals which form a high point in the annual cycle: Festival of Easter (at the Aries full moon) Festival of Wesak (at the Taurus full moon) Festival of Goodwill (at the Gemini full moon) Here at Arunachala full moon during the Karthigai Deepam period is regarded as the most powerful poornima of the year. However the upcoming Wesak Festival (Taurus full moon) is globally considered to be the most powerful full moon of the yearly cycle. It is the time of the Buddha’s Blessings. In this respect it is also considered to be a particularly auspicious time to perform Arunachala giripradakshina. In 2007 the Festival of the Wesak (full moon in Taurus) occurs on Wednesday, May 2 at 10:09 a.m. GMT. An ancient legend says the Taurus Full Moon is the one time a year the Buddha leaves the High place where He works and dwells to return to the earth and BLESS the WORLD. This festival is not only celebrated at Wesak, North India, but also at spiritual centres throughout the world. To find out more about the Wesak Legend please check the below link.

Wesak Legend

AEED Trust

Photograph of P.K. Dhananjayan (Trustee) The AEED Trust (Arunachala Education and Environment Development Trust), was set up in 2006 for the purpose of addressing such issues as pollution of; noise, water and land in this locality. This area comprises a total of approximately 750,000 people in the following villages: Anaipiranthan, Athiyandal, Usalimedu, Kaveriyampoondi, Ayyampalayam, Ayyampalayam Pudier, Chinnakottankal, Periyakottankal, Adi Annamalai, Kosalai, Adaiyur, Vengikkal and hamlet villages and also the town of Tiruvannamalai itself. Already substantial success is evident from the work of the AEED Trust; one major outcome being that during the recently completed Margazhi month at the beginning of this year, the usual noise pollution of early morning Temple music was severely curtailed. In this respect most Temples made efforts to fall in line with the announced ‘restrictions of loud speakers in Tiruvannamalai and surrounds’ by not operating their speaker systems between 10p.m.–6a.m., and during the allowed broadcasting times 6a.m.–10p.m., noise was restricted to 40 decibels, and in all cases box type speakers, instead of funnel types were instructed to be used. Arunachala Grace will be maintaining close contact with AEED Trust in their efforts of converting Tiruvannamalai area into a pure and healthy environment for all its inhabitants (man and creature) and visitors. If you wish to get in touch direct with this organisation, please contact: P.K. Dhananjayan (Trustee) Email: aeedtrust Phone: +91-94426-37450

More on AEED Trust

Amla

Amla (Emblic Myrobalans) is the fruit of Phyllanthus emblica, (also called Emblica officinalis). The tree is deciduous of the Euphorbiaceae family. The tree is small to medium sized, reaching 8-18 metre in height, with crooked trunk and spreading branches. The leaves are simple, subsessile and flowers are greenish-yellow. The fruit is nearly spherical, light greenish yellow, quite smooth and hard on appearance, with 6 vertical stripes or furrows. The fruits ripen in autumn. Its taste is bitter-sour. Being more fibrous than most fruits, it cannot be consumed raw in vast quantity; indeed, it is taken with salt. Amla is a key herb of Ayurvedic medicine and is one of the most frequently used. Although similar in appearance to the common gooseberry it is botanically unrelated, however, due to its appearance, Amla is usually called the "Indian gooseberry". Amala is found throughout Tiruvannamalai District. The scripture, Caraka Samhita, describes "Emblic Myrobalan as being auspicious and having healing virtues." In Hinduism the tree is regarded as sacred and worshipped as Mother Earth in India. Because of its cooling nature, Amla is a common ingredient in treatments for a burning sensation anywhere in the body and for many types of inflammation and fever. Most rejuvenation and longevity tonics of Ayurveda are made with Amla as an ingredient, and often with Triphala as a base to which numerous other herbs are added. Emblic Myrobalans is the main ingredient of Chyawanprash, one of the important tonics and the principal Ayurvedic remedy currently produced in India (accounting for over half the sales of Ayurvedic medicines). It is a fallacy that Amla contains a significant amount of vitamin C, instead the dominant active constituent of Amla is a group of tannins derived from gallic and ellagic acids, which make up a large portion of the extractable non-nutritive constituents. When the fruit is dried, the main ingredient, water, is mostly eliminated, and the remaining constituents are present in considerably larger proportions. The presence of the large proportion of tannins in the fruit may explain some of the proclaimed benefits of Amla, including treatment of respiratory and intestinal disorders. In addition, polyphenols have been shown to have numerous health protective benefits, including lowering blood lipids and blood sugar, enhancing blood circulation, and blocking the action of carcinogens, which together contribute to the anti-aging effect. The apparent superior effect of the mistaken "vitamin C" component is actually the more stable and potent anti-oxidant effect of the tannins that appeared to be the vitamin. A compilation of applications for emblica fruits carried out during the last 25 years are:Digestive system disorders: dyspepsia, gastritis, hyperacidity, constipation, colic, colitis, hemorrhoids Bleeding disorders:bleeding hemorrhoids, hematuria, menorrhagia, bleeding gums, ulcerative colitis Metabolic disorders: anemia, diabetes, gout Lung disorders: cough, asthma Aging disorders: osteoporosis, premature graying of hear, weak vision Neurasthenia: fatigue, mental disorders, vertigo, palpitations Amla should be collected by climbing the tree and carefully hand picking each fruit. If incorrectly harvested by lopping large branches off the tree to collect the fruit, the tree can easily be killed off.

Amla

St. Augustine Prayer

O God, Framer of the universe, grant me first rightly to invoke Thee; then to show myself worthy to be heard by Thee; lastly, deign to set me free. God, through whom all things which of themselves were not, tend to be. God, who out of nothing hast created this world, which the eyes of all perceive to be most beautiful. God, the Father of truth, the Father of wisdom, the Father of the true and crowning life, the Father of blessedness, the Father of that which is good and fair, the Father of intelligible light, the Father of our awakening and illumination, the Father of the pledge by which we are admonished to return to Thee. God, from whom to be turned away, is to fall: to whom to be turned back, is to rise again: in whom to abide, is to stand firm. God, from whom to go forth, is to die: to whom to return, is to revive: in whom to have our dwelling, is to live. God, whom no one loses, unless deceived: whom no one seeks, unless stirred up: whom no one finds, unless made pure. God, by whom we distinguish good from ill. God, by whom we flee evil, and follow good. God, who leads us to the door of life. God, who causes it to be opened to them that knock. God, who gives us the bread of life. God, who cleanses us, and prepares us for Divine rewards, come graciously to me. Thou the only God, come unto my help. God, whom all things serve, that serve, to whom is compliant every virtuous soul. By whose laws the poles revolve, the stars fulfill their courses, the sun enlivens the day, the moon tempers the night: and all the framework of things, day after day by turns of light and gloom, month after month by waxings and wanings of the moon, year after year by unceasing order of spring and summer and fall and winter, and through the mighty orbs of time, folding and refolding upon themselves, as the stars still recur to their first conjunctions, maintains, so far as mere visible matter allows, the mighty constancy of things. God, by whose laws the choice of the soul is free, and to the good rewards and to the evil pains are distributed by necessities settled throughout all natures. Who hast made man after Thine image and likeness, as he who has come to know himself discovers. Hear me, hear me, graciously hear me, my God, my Lord, my King, my Father, my Cause, my Hope, my Wealth, my Honor, my House, my Country, my Health, my Light, my Life. Hear, hear, hear me graciously, in that way, all Thine own, which though known to few is to those few known so well. Henceforth Thee alone do I love, Thee alone I follow, Thee alone I seek, Thee alone am I prepared to serve, for Thou alone art rightly Lord, and of Thy lordship I desire to be. Direct, I pray, and command whatever Thou wilt, but heal and open my ears, that I may hear Thine utterances. Heal and open my eyes, that I may behold the signs of thy command. Drive delusion from me, that I may recognize Thee. O Lord, most merciful Father receive, I pray, Thy fugitive; enough already, surely, have I been punished, long enough have I served Thine enemies, whom Thou hast under Thy feet, long enough has error had its way with me. To Thee I feel I must return: I knock; may Thy door be opened to me; teach me the way to Thee. [soliloquies 2-5, Abridged]

Devanandal Village

We have been asked by Shanti Vanam Trust to bring attention to a beautiful 11 acre farm which is available on the north side of Arunachala. The land is situated next door to a 300 acre protected reservoir - thus ensuring the pristine quality of the area. If this land is not sold in one piece it will end up in the hands of developers who will proceed to section it up into small plots. If you would like to find out more about purchasing this exquisite 11 acre site, please contact: shantivanam

Devanandal Farm Photographs

In This Issue:

Arunachala Tidbits

UN to preserve sacred sites

Samudram Erie

Herbal Farm

Wesak Legend

AEED Trust

Amla

St. Augustine Prayer

Devanandal Village

Arunachala Grace Network

Bird Sanctuary

The non-fighting bird

Poems and Prayers

Yogi Ramsuratkumar

Links

Arunachala Grace Network

Aum! Let us listen with our ears to that which is auspicious, adorable one. Let us perceive with our eyes what is holy and auspicious. With strong, stable body and limbs, may we seek the divine grace and accept the noble order of all our life. ************************

All subscriptions to Arunachala Grace News are completely free. However this month we are glad to announce that we have added a PayPal and credit card function on this newsletter. In this respect we invite support for the continual development of Arunachala Grace Network and its plans for the improved welfare of animal life in this area. Arunachala Grace Newsletter www.arunachalasamudra.org www.arunachalagrace.blogspot.com contact: arunachalana We are including a facility on this newsletter for readers who do not yet have their own subscription. [Please remember to adjust your 'spam' recognition to facilitate acceptance of the Newsletter]: Click Here to Subscribe

Bird Sanctuary

[Photograph of the Great Egret] Happily great emphasis is nowadays being placed on the reforestation of Arunachala, however attention also needs to be focussed on the great swathes of agricultural land surrounding the sacred Hill. As Arunachala was denuded of its natural vegetation, so too surrounding land was stripped of natural plant life in order to support intensive farming with crop cultivation of up to four times a year. Some of these farms have already been sold to property developers for densely packed housing estates, and undoubtedly this trend will escalate over the coming years. In this respect there is a need to create and maintain sanctuaries around Arunachala providing safe haven for migratory birdlife and other wildlife, thereby adding to the rich diversity of life around the sacred Hill. During the rainy season, several natural reservoirs around Arunachala fill with water and attract a profusion of different types of migratory birds. Including; Cormorants, Egrets, Herons, Ibises, Spoonbills, Grebes, Pintails, Stilts, Teals, White Storks and Painted Storks. Further to this matter at a recent meeting of the Tiruvannamalai Development Board, presided over by the Honourable Justice Venkattasami, and District Collector Sathyabratha Sahoo, ideas were put forward in connection with creating a bird sanctuary at Samudram Erie. In conjunction with this programme, Arunachala Grace Network is working to raise funding to purchase pristine agricultural land adjacent to Samudram Lake, and return it to its natural state providing sanctuary for migratory water birds in the rainy season, and in the rest of the year offer protected glades and nesting areas for such local birds as; Koels, Mynas, Barbets, Green Parrots and also other wildlife. We welcome help and support from friends of Arunachala and from friends of Nature for this project so that together we may provide a safe haven for migratory birds and other wildlife. For more information and details on how to help please contact: Meenakshi Ammal arunachalana

The non-fighting bird

A king was rearing a very fierce fighting bird who he wanted to come first in a competition. He handed the bird to a trainer who was a Sufi saint. After some time, when the king enquired about the bird, the trainer replied, "The bird is not ready yet. It is full of fire. It is eager for combat and is still afraid." The next time the king asked as to the progress of the bird's training, the Sufi answered, "The bird still flares up when he hears another crow in the vicinity. That shows that he still considers the world as its enemy." After more time elapsed, in reply to the king's question, the trainer responded, "The bird is not ready yet sir, it still gets that fierce look and bristles." A week later, the trainer told the king the bird was ready to participate in a fight. The king arranged for a competition between fighting birds. The day came. The king's bird was standing unconcerned in the centre of the arena. The other birds were prancing around with menancing looks and were ready to pounce on the king's bird. Even when they crowed, the eyes of the king's favourite did not flicker. He stood immobile like a wooden image. It looked as if he was simply bored by the event. The other birds stopped in their stride and looked at it first in astonishment and then with fear. They had never seen a bird which never reacted. It was standing clamly and confidently absolutetly unruffled not deigning to recognise the presence of these other birds which were itching to start a fight. The other cocks took one look and ran away from the cock which was exuding peace all around. "One should conquer anger with calmness."

Poems and Prayers

The Great Invocation From the point of Light within the Mind of God Let light stream forth into the minds of men. Let Light descend on Earth. From the point of Love within the Heart of God Let love stream forth into the hearts of men. May Christ return to Earth. From the centre where the Will of God is known Let purpose guide the little wills of men; The purpose which the Masters know and serve. From the centre which we call the race of men Let the Plan of Love and Light work out And may it seal the door where evil dwells. Let Light and Love and Power restore the Plan on Earth ************************* Canticle of the Sun Most high, all-powerful, all good, Lord! All praise is yours, all glory, all honor And all blessing. To you alone, Most High, do they belong. No mortal lips are worthy To pronounce your name. All praise be yours, my Lord, through all that you have made, And first my lord Brother Sun, Who brings the day; and light you give to us through him. How beautiful is he, how radiant in all his splendour! Of you, Most High, he bears the likeness. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Moon and Stars; In the heavens you have made them, bright And precious and fair. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air, And fair and stormy, all the weather's moods, By which you cherish all that you have made. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Water, so useful, lowly, precious, and pure. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Brother Fire, Through whom you brighten up the night. How beautiful he is, how joyful! Full of power and strength. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Earth, Who feeds us in her sovereignty and produces Various fruits and coloured flowers and herbs. All praise be yours, my Lord, through those who grant pardon For love of you; through those who endure sickness and trial. Happy those who endure in peace, By you, Most High, they will be crowned. All praise be yours, my Lord, through Sister Death, From whose embrace no mortal can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Happy those She finds doing your will! The second death can do no harm to them. Praise and bless my Lord, and give him thanks, And serve him with great humility. [st. Francis of Assisi, Patron of Ecology (1182-1226) Translation from the original Italian]

Yogi Ramsuratkumar

Yogi Ramsuratkumar, a great saint of South India lived from December 1, 1918 to February 20, 2001. For many of those years he lived at Arunachala, first at the Arunachaleswarar Temple, then at several houses and finally to the ashram his devotees built for him south of the Hill nearby Ramana Nagar. Yogi Ramsuratkumar always acknowledged with reverence his huge debt to sacred Arunachala and Arunachaleswarar Temple, saying: 'This hill and this temple, they have saved this beggar,' and with the utmost gratitude for the sanctity of Mount Arunachala, he said: 'This beggar wandering here and there, tired of wandering but having no home; Arunachalesvara, in the form of this hill, had mercy on this miserable sinner. So he gives thanks, a thousand thanks, to this holy hill, this holy temple. Oh, the magnanimity of the Lord! He has given me shelter for twenty long years. Whereas others who come are enabled to stay only days or weeks . . . For thousands of years the hill has given shelter to so many dirty sinners like me; and Arunachala will give us shelter for thousand of years to come.' ************************* "In your deep sleep you were not confined to your body, but persisted as pure existence, your own true nature. Now in your waking state, you continue to be the same existence with the limitations of the body added. These limitations make you see other objects. Hence desires arise. But the state of desirelessness in sleep made you no less happy than now. You did not feel any want. You did not make yourself miserable by not entertaining desires. But now you entertain desires because you limit yourself to this body. Why do you wish to retain these limitations and continue to entertain desires when your pristine self, as experienced in deep sleep, is always present? Find out who this Self, this 'I' is. On doing so and abiding as 'I', all doubts and suffering will be cleared up." [sri Ramana Maharshi]

Life of Yogi Ramsuratkumar

Links:

Daily news, updatesArunachala WebsiteArunachala Grace ArchiveHotel ConstructionBeyond BeliefAmlaWesak LegendKaruna SocietyHerbal Farm WebsiteShantimalai TrustYogi RamasuratkumarMore on AEED TrustDevanandal Farm Photographs

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest

Monday, May 28, 2007 10:55 PM

[Newsletter] Arunachala; information and news of Shiva sacred mountain, South India

Arunachala Grace News - June, 2007

Arunachala Tidbits

1. This month's Arunachala Grace News includes two ecological reports. The first; WWF 2006 'Living Planet Report' is a current update on the state of the world's ecosystems. The second report is WWF-India specific 2006 review. One could say that the inception of the grass roots of ARS (Arunachala Reforestation Society) in the 1980's, marked the beginning of the expansion of ecological consciousness in Tiruvannamalai. We now have organisations involved in clean-ups around the town and Hill, NGOs working to return the area to a noise-free, pollution-free zone, several well established reforestation programmes, herbal farms, organisations committed to organic specific agriculture, animal welfare programmes including an animal shelter for domestic animals, groups dedicated to the care and shelter of neglected and abused creatures and ongoing discussions with the Municipality regarding the development of a bird sanctuary at Tiruvannamalai. 2. At a recent Debts Appellate Tribunal (Chennai meeting), it was suggested that Banks be required to take steps to register mortgaged properties. At present equitable mortgage is not reflected in encumbrance certificates issued by registration offices. Thus, in the future, people buying mortgaged properties in Tamil Nadu (and throughout Tiruvannamalai District) would know at the beginning of negotiations the extent of all existing mortgage encumbrances on property they wished to purchase. 2. An 'archaka' training Centre was inaugurated at Sri Arunachaleswarar Temple, Tiruvannamalai this month which would offer a one-year certificate course in 'agama sastras'. Students would receive a small monthly stipend plus free room and board.Those who complete the course would be eligible to perform regular pujas in Temples. 3. Sri Nannagaru visited Arunachala this month between May 13th-25th, staying at his ashram at Rajiv Gandhi Nagar. While here Sri Nannagaru visited Ramana Maharshi Ashram several times and also daily made himself available to his devotees and pilgrims.

Sri Nannagaru

Establishment of Arcot Lutheran Church

[Tranquebar, about 1600] The first Protestant missionaries to India were German Lutherans sent by the King of Denmark and who landed in Tranquebar, Tamil Nadu on 9th July, 1706. The Tranquebar missionaries and Protestant Christians in Tamil Nadu were influential in many areas. They translated the Bible into Tamil and Telugu languages, were grammarians and lexicographers and studied the religious, social and cultural customs of the people. They translated Indian literature into European languages, established indigenous churches and public schools and set up a theological seminary. Arcot is a City and a Municipality in Vellore District, Tamil Nadu. It is located on Palar River, and straddles a strategic trade route between Chennai and Bangalore, between Mysore Ghat and the Javadi Hills. The people who lived in the Arcot region especially in and near Tiruvannamalai, belonged to a clan called the Arcots. These were warriors and landowners, some of them were descended from ancient Dravidians and Hindu Marathas. The Arcot region was one of the quickest areas in Tamil Nadu to develop, perhaps in part, due to the influence of Danish missionaries. The first missionary of the Danish Missionary Society (DMS) was a German Rev. C.C.E. Ochs. He started his first Mission station, Bethanien, at Melpattambakkam in South Arcot in 1861. Now all its activities have been transferred to the nearby town Nellikuppam. The second mission station of DMS was opened at Tirukkoyilur in 1869 and was called "Siloam". Saron, a third mission station of DMS, was opened in the year 1882 and situated just outside Tiruvannamalai. In 1898 a mission station was built in the town. From 1905 it was called "Carmel." The fourth mission station in the Arcot District, "Bethesda," in Kallakurichi was built in 1893. Later DMS started mission stations at Panruti, Vriddhachalam, Devanampatnam, Darisanapuram, and Servaroj Hills. In the late 1950s the Church was handed over to Indian hands with Bishop D. Peter being the first Indian Bishop. The church was renamed the Arcot Lutheran Church and is still known by that name. Education and health were given to all people. The Church is serving Tamil-speaking population in the Districts of South and North Arcot, Tamil Nadu. [Other work of the Danish Missionary Society is now undertaken under the name of Danmission]. Arcot Lutheran Church has about 30,000 members and works in several Districts of Tamil Nadu. It is a Church, committed to service to society through schools, orphanages, homes for women, hostels for students and working women, hospitals and community service centres in villages and towns. Currently the Arcot Lutheran Church educates nearly 40,000 students in 90 schools. The current Bishop of Arcot Lutheran Church is the Rt. Rev. Gideon Devanesan. The Arcot Lutheran Church headquarters are based at Cuddalore but much school and social work of the Organisation is undertaken here at Tiruvannamalai. Lutheran Partners in Global Ministry became associated with the Arcot Lutheran Church in 1996 when it began to support children in three boarding homes; Melpattambakkam, Siloam and Saron.

Quo Vadis

[Arunachala from roof of Quo Vadis] To the many thousands of Westerners who come to visit ashrams and gurus who have settled at the foot of Arunachala, Tiruvannamalai now has a new option; 'Quo Vadis Inter Faith Dialogue Centre'. Quo Vadis is Latin for 'Where are you going?' The idea is to bring pilgrims and residents together to ask each other this question. The Centre, which is an initiative of the Danish Danmission, the local Arcot Lutheran Church and the American group, Lutheran partners in Global Ministry, is located off the Chengam Road, close to several major ashrams. "Our hope is that the Centre will bring people together in order to travel and share faith," says coordinator and Arcot Lutheran Church pastor, Rev. Joshua Peter. "The Centre will be a Christian alternative to the many ashrams offering eastern spirituality . . . " The hope is to promote harmony, love and peaceful co-existence between people of different faith. To read more about the Centre and about the facilities being offered there you can visit the below link.

Quo Vadis Centre, information

Kombucha

[Mushroom Tea] Kombucha is a drink that has become very popular with overseas visitors to Tiruvannamalai mainly because of its introduction some years previously to this area, by a Dutch woman. Kombucha, in fact, is not a mushroom at all, but a symbiotic colony of yeast and beneficial bacteria that grows in sugar-sweetened black tea. As in any yeast, a "mother" creates or buds a new "baby" with each new batch. Left to rest in a warm, peaceful place, the colony grows until the black tea liquid reaches its desired flavor, in a few days or weeks. However, this fashionable drink also has some miraculous health claims attached to it, including: detoxification, boosting metabolism, assisting digestion and even curing cancer. Advocates believe that Kombucha works by assisting the liver's ability to detoxify the body. This hypothesis is due to early observations of increased glucuronic acid conjugates in the urine after Kombucha consumption, a signifier of increased detoxification by the liver. However, more recent analysis of Kombucha offers other explanations for its potential health benefits. First, Kombucha's high levels of organic acids help maintain proper acid-alkaline balance in the body by promoting tissue and blood alkalinity. The fermented brew is also rich in antioxidants and amino acids, namely L-threonine, which supports healthy protein balance. A Cornell University study on the tea's anti-microbial activity found that Kombucha's acetic acid composition rendered it helpful against a range of pathogenic bacteria. But beyond this sole study, no authoritative research has been performed to prove or disprove the anecdotal claims of Kombucha's medicinal benefits. In addition to its potential properties as a liver-booster, Kombucha is loaded with enzymes and healthy bacteria thought to enhance the digestive process.

Receipe for Kombucha

Living Planet

Humanity's demands now exceed the planet's capacity to sustain it. The Living Planet Report is WWF's periodic update on the state of the world's ecosystems. It describes the changing state of global biodiversity and the pressure on the biosphere arising from human consumption of natural resources. The Report is built around two indicators: the Living Planet Index, which reflects the health of the planet's ecosystems; and the Ecological Footprint, which shows the extent of human demand on these ecosystems. WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the planet's natural environment and to build a future in which we live in harmony with nature by: conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption. Take the quiz 'Find out your ecological footprint' in the Link section at the bottom right hand column, to determine your personal ecological footprint on planet Earth. Then read the report and find out how you can reduce your own ecological footprint. The below includes links to all recent Living Planet Reports.

Living Planet Reports

WWF-India; 2006 Review

Historically, WWF-India started as a wildlife conservation organisation with focus on protecting a particular species of wild flora and fauna. Over the years, the perspective has broadened to reflect a more holistic understanding of conservation issues facing the country. The mission statement of WWF-India includes: the promotion of India's ecological security - restoring and sustaining the ecological balance. Conservation of biological diversity. Ensuring sustainable use of the natural resource base, particularly land and water. Minimization of pollution and wasteful consumption. Promoting sustainable lifestyles among all segments of the community.

WWF-India - 2006 Review

Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis

Nobody knows whether Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is a native of China or comes from India. However, it is certain that it has existed in Europe for centuries. Old Moorish sources mention Hibiscus being cultivated in Spain, in the twelfth century. It is not known how closely related these 'hibiscus' were to today's Hibiscus rosa-sinensis hybrids. Some believe that Hibiscus rosa-sinensis is a collection of manmade hybrids. The flowers are naturally reddish to crimson and deep red near the base of the petals. Hibiscus is commonly found in cultivated gardens around Arunachala. As well as having many medicinal uses, Hibiscus also serves as a very delicious beverage and is also used as a hair beauty product. White hibiscus, in particular, is considered to have particular Ayurvedic properties. Hibiscus has a major diuretic effect. In Egypt it is commonly used to lower blood pressure. Hibiscus acts as an antiseptic, aphrodisiac, astringent, cholagogue, demulcent, digestive, diuretic, emollient, purgative, refrigerant, resolvent, sedative, stomachic, and tonic. Extracts of some hibiscus species are claimed to have health benefits, including prevention of constipation, bladder infections and nausea, and high blood pressure.

Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis

Nature of Eternity

Eternity! Eternity! What mind of man can understand it? For ever! For all eternity! Not for a year or for an age but for ever. Try to imagine the meaning of this. You have often seen the sand on the seashore. How fine are its tiny grains! And how many of those tiny little grains go to make up the small handful which a child grasps in its play. Now imagine a mountain of that sand, a million miles high, reaching from the earth to the farthest heavens, and a million miles broad, extending to remotest space, and a million miles in thickness; and imagine such an enormous mass of countless particles of sand multiplied as often as there are leaves in the forest, drops of water in the mighty ocean, feathers on birds, scales on fish, hairs on animals, atoms in the vast expanse of the air: and imagine that at the end of every million years a little bird came to that mountain and carried away in its beak a tiny grain of that sand. How many millions upon millions of centuries would pass before that bird had carried away even a square foot of that mountain, how many eons upon eons of ages before it had carried away all? Yet at the end of that immense stretch of time not even one instant of eternity could be said to have ended. At the end of all those billions and trillions of years eternity would have scarcely begun. And if that mountain rose again after it had been all carried away, and if the bird came again and carried it all away again grain by grain, and if it so rose and sank as many times as there are stars in the sky, atoms in the air, drops of water in the sea, leaves on the trees, feathers upon birds, scales upon fish, hairs upon animals, at the end of all those innumerable risings and sinkings of that immeasurably vast mountain not one single instant of eternity could be said to have ended; even then, at the end of such a period, after that eon of time the mere thought of which makes our very brain reel dizzily, eternity would scarcely have begun. [Abridged - James Joyce Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man]

Portrait of an Artist - online

Our Vets

[Rogier and Kim climbing Arunachala] After an intial 12 days of intense, educational training at Puttaparthi, Kim and Rogier arrived at Tiruvannamalai to become the first vets at the new Animal Shelter here. Since 28th of January this year, our two Dutch veterinarians; Kim Schriek and Rogier Van Leeuwen have been working at the Animal Shelter, Tiruvannamalai, under the aegis of Karuna Society, Puttaparthi. In spite of the difficulty of adjusting to new people, language, a different ethos towards animals, and the hot days of an Indian Summer, our young vets from Holland have made many friends in both the animal and people kingdom. Since they arrived they have sterilized hundreds of dogs and treated both stray and pet dogs for skin disease, intestinal problems, traffic trauma and distemper. The vets believe their best work has been in working with young puppies, and watching the medical progress of some of their canine orthopedic patients. When our young vets arrived, Rogier mentioned that their greatest difficulty was in getting people to be frank about the true situation when bringing animals into the Shelter. He felt that a lack of frankness slowed down and complicated treatment. However now that they have experienced nearly five months at Tiruvannamalai, Kim and Rogier have learnt much about facing down locals and getting at the truth as far as animals are concerned. In this respect you may like to check out the below linked story 'Our Heroes', which is about their experience with an unruly mob in their efforts to ensure the release of 3 captured young monkeys. Neither of our vets have had much time to consider their future at Utrecht, once they return to Holland. Possibly Rogier may take up a position as a Veterinary Teacher at Utrecht University; and Kim is still processing all that has happened in a full, eventful 2007. But first a month's HOLIDAY touring India, after their tenure at the Animal Hospital ends in the next couple of weeks.We wish them both a successful and happy life. They will always be friends of Arunachala and friends of the friends of Arunachala. God Speed.

Our Heroes

In This Issue:

Arunachala Tidbits

Establishment of Arcot Lutheran Church

Quo Vadis

Kombucha

Living Planet

WWF-India; 2006 Review

Hibiscus Rosa-Sinensis

Nature of Eternity

Our Vets

Arunachala Grace Network

The Guardian Angel

The Monks

Swami Abhishiktananda

Links

Arunachala Grace Network

Aum! Let us listen with our ears to that which is auspicious, adorable one. Let us perceive with our eyes what is holy and auspicious. With strong, stable body and limbs, may we seek the Divine Grace and accept the noble order of all our life. ************************* Even though I very much enjoy preparing each month's Arunachala Grace News (and this is issue 13), sadly I have to inform readers that this month may well be the last issue, as I do not have the resources to continue bearing the financial cost of each month's issue. If this Newsletter is to continue, then it will depend upon the generosity of its readers. If you enjoy this Newsletter and it keeps you connected to Arunachala, then please give so that it may continue. *************************

All subscriptions to Arunachala Grace News are completely free. However we now have a PayPal and credit card function on this newsletter. In this respect we invite support for the continual development of Arunachala Grace Network and its plans for the improved welfare of animal life in this area. Arunachala Grace Newsletter www.arunachalasamudra.org www.arunachalagrace.blogspot.com contact: arunachalana We are including a facility on this newsletter for readers who do not yet have their own subscription. [Please remember to adjust your 'spam' recognition to facilitate acceptance of the Newsletter]: Click Here to Subscribe

The Guardian Angel

[Rolf Jacobsen] I am the bird that knocks at your window in the morning And your companion, whom you cannot know, The blossoms that light up for the blind. I am the glacier's crest above the forests, the dazzling one And the brass voices from the cathedral towers. The thought that suddenly comes over you at mid-day And fills you with a singular happiness. I am the one you have loved long ago. I walked alongside you by day and look intently at you And put my mouth on your heart But you don't know it. I am your third arm and your second Shadow, the white one, Whom you don't have the heart for And who cannot ever forget you. ************************* Love [HWL Poonja] Without Love, nothing will happen. If you can't love your Self, you can't love anyone else. The result of this will be suffering. Love they Self and you will have loved every being. Learn to know how to love your Self. Love your Self. Always Love your Self and this Self will love you more and more. Take just one step toward the Self and the Self will take two steps toward you! ************************* The Quality of Mercy [William Shakespeare] The quality of mercy is not strain'd, It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven Upon the place beneath: it is twice bless'd; It blesseth him that gives and him that takes: 'Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes The throned monarch better than his crown; His sceptre shows the force of temporal power, The attribute to awe and majesty, Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings; But mercy is above this sceptred sway, It is enthroned in the hearts of kings, It is an attribtue to God himself, And earthly power doth then show likest God's When mercy seasons justice.

William Shakespeare Resource Centre

The Monks

A group of monks were living with their master in a Tibetan monastery. Their lives were disciplined and dedicated, and the atmosphere in which they lived harmonious and peaceful. People from villages far and wide flocked to the monastery to bask in the warmth of such a loving spiritual environment. Then one day the master departed his earthly form. At first the monks continued on as they had in the past, but after a time, the discipline and devotion, that had been hallmarks of their daily routine, slackened. The number of villagers coming through the doors each day began to drop, and little by little, the monastery fell into a state of disrepair. Soon the monks were bickering among themselves, some pointing fingers of blame, others filled with guilt. The energy within the monastery walls crackled with animosity. Finally, the senior monk could take it no longer. Hearing that a spiritual master lived as a hermit two days walk away, the monk wasted no time in seeking him out. Finding the master in his forest hermitage, the monk told him of the sad state the monastery had fallen into and asked his advice. The master smiled. "There is one living among you who is the incarnation of God. Because he is being disrespected by those around him, he will not show himself, and the monastery will remain in disrepair." With those words spoken, the master fell silent and would say no more. On the way back to the monastery, the monk wondered which of the brothers might be the Incarnated One. Finally, after dismissing each and every one of his brothers for this fault or that, the senior monk realized there were none left. Knowing it had to be one of the monks because the master had said it was, he worried over it a bit before a new thought dawned. "Could it be that the Holy One has chosen to display a fault in order to disguise himself?" he wondered. "Of course it could! That must be it!" Reaching the monastery, he immediately told his brothers what the master had said and all were just as astonished as he had been to learn the Divine was living among them. Since each knew it was not himself who was God Incarnate, each began to study his brothers carefully, all trying to determine who among them was the Holy One. But all any of them could see were the faults and failings of the others. If God was in their midst, he was doing a fine job of hiding himself. Finding the Incarnated One among such rubble would be difficult, indeed. After much discussion, it was finally decided that they would all make an effort to be kind and loving toward one another, treating each with the respect and honor one would naturally give to the Incarnated One. If God insisted on remaining hidden, then they had no recourse but to treat each monk as if he were the Holy One. Each so concentrated on seeing God in the other that soon their hearts filled with such love for one another the chains of negativity that held them bound fell away. As time passed, they began seeing God not just in each other, but in every one and everything. Days were spent in joyful reverence, rejoicing in His Holy Presence. The monastery radiated this joy like a beacon and soon the villagers returned, streaming through the doors as they had before, seeking to be touched by the love and devotion present there. It was some time later that the senior monk decided to pay the master another visit to thank him for the secret he had revealed. "Did you discover the identity of the Incarnated One?" the master asked. "We did," the senior monk replied. "We found him residing in all of us." The master smiled.

Swami Abhishiktananda

Swami Abhishiktananda was born Henri Le Saux 30th August, 1910, at St. Briac in Brittany in France. At an early age he felt a vocation to the priesthood and in 1929 he decided to become a monk and entered a Benedictine Monastery. In 1949 he visited Tiruvannamalai and Sri Ramana Maharshi, and his life took a decisive turn. He later refers to that time: "I regard this stay at Tiruvannamalai as being at one a real retreat and an initiation into Indian monastic life." He spent periods both at the foot of Arunachala and in its various caves between 1949 and 1955, however, during those years his permanent residence was at the ashram of Shantivanam which he had co-founded in: "an attempt to integrate into Christianity the monastic tradition of India." But of Arunachala, he was to say: ' . . . the South (Arunachala) is my "birth-place".' And of his own spiritual experience at the sacred Hill, he was to later write: "Anyone who is the recipient of this overwhelming Light is at once petrified and shattered; he can say nothing, he cannot think anymore; he just remains there, outside space and time, alone in the very aloneness of the Alone; it is an unbelievable experience, this sudden revelation of Arunachala's infinite pillar of light and fire."

Swami Abhishiktananda Website

Links:

Daily news, updatesArunachala WebsiteArunachala Grace ArchivesSri NannagaruQuo Vadis Centre InformationLiving Planet Reports WWF - IndiaFind out your ecological footprintSwami Abhishiktananda WebsiteKaruna SocietyWilliam Shakespeare Resource CentreHibiscus Rosa-SinensisOur HeroesReceipe for KombuchaKombucha site