IndiaDivine.org

Fw: Newsletter Arunachala; information and news of Shiva sacred mountain, South India for November, 2007.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Arunachala Grace News - November, 2007

Arunachala Tidbits

Arunachala Grace Network Arunachala Grace Network is currently in talks regarding the purchase of land near Samudram Lake and its development into a bird sanctuary. For updates and news, please check our Blog (listed in links) and the next issue of Arunachala Grace News. Arunachala Land As we have received many enquiries regarding land, its availability and also queries about regulations governing property transactions in India, we have added a blog to Arunachala Grace Network, entitled Arunachala Land. The Blog is dedicated to supplying you with information and resources to ensure you find the RIGHT land or property at Arunachala. It will be populated with details of land currently on the market and also information about problems, pitfalls and complications one may encounter while engaged in either buying, selling or leasing property or land in this area. Sparsa Tiruvannamalai The management of Sparsa Tiruvannamalai (the new luxury hotel at Tiruvannamalai) has announced that the planned opening date of their Hotel will be in the first week of November. U.S. Students visit Tiruvannamalai A group of students from St. Olaf, a liberal Arts College of the Lutheran Church, Minnesota, USA currently in the midst of the India Trip of their Global Semester, was hosted by Quo Vadis on October 18th and 19th at Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu. The students comprised of 22 girls, 6 boys and 2 supervising adults and teenage son were all visiting Tiruvannamalai for the first time. On day one the students performed Arunachala Girivalam on four brightly decorated bullock carts, lunched at ALC Lebanon Compound, visited Arunachaleswarar Temple where a special puja was performed on their behalf, toured Ramana Ashram and enjoyed a cultural programme and dinner at Quo Vadis Inter Faith Dialogue Center. On Friday, 19th October, the group participated in a walking meditation on Arunachala Hill before leaving Tiruvannamalai for a short visit to the ALC at Cuddalore, Tamil Nadu. Nearly all in the group said they were very eager to return to Tiruvannamalai.

Student Visit

National Park Designation

The Arunachala Kattu Siva Plantation refers to a group of local persons engaged on restoration of forest on the western end of Arunachala in the area stretching from below the peak above Kattu Siva Theertham on the inner path route to the end of the hill slopes at the feet of Siva. We are in the process of making application for Arunachala to be designated as a National Park. Here is the recommendation given to the appropriate local Authority in the hope that they take up the presentation of a submission to Central Government: The Honourable Justice K. Venkataswami, Expert-Convenor of Girivalam Protection Committee, Thiruvannamalai Respected Sir: If Arunachala is reforested, then the following benefits will naturally generate substantial increase in the well being of all sentient beings both resident and visitor: 1. Exponentially increasing crores of plant roots will secure rainfall near to the surface and gradually release precious water into our artesian system; moreover gradually as the forest emerges on the substantial area of hill slopes, these roots will contribute towards the prevention of further erosion while the biomass will ensure replenishment of surface soil degraded as it now is by misuse; 2. The debilitating irregularity and paucity of seasonal rainfall so prevalent globally in all denuded areas including the plains surrounding Arunachala can be relied upon to be replaced by regular patterns with appreciable increase in formation of rain-bearing cloud: we can definitely expect our grandchildren to be blessed with more rainfall if our hill is returned to forest. 3. The level of water in our impoverished underground basin will slowly rise so that in future our exploding population may enjoy reliable perennial capacity in the element most essential to life. 4. As the growth of the forest progresses and biodiversity flourishes local inhabitants and visitors will be influenced by Arunachala's contribution as a mountain of medicine; also pervasively contributing to health and well-being our now increasingly polluted air will be purified, since plants convert gases poisonous to humans and animals into the oxygen that we do require to live. 5. Arunachala's potential as a powerful environment precedent site will emerge for all to see; the several lakhs of pilgrims who regularly visit the hill each year can spread this influence to the best of their ability. In order to enable these benefits to be sustained into future generations the Reserve Forest area of Arunachala needs to be protected by the designation of a National Park so that the ecology of our natural lingam is endowed with respectful legal rights. Recent past history of vandalism will in this way be absolutely terminated. Foreseeable objections to Arunachala designated a National Park may come from a small number of persons with alternatives at their disposal who are presently engaged in illegal operations on the slopes. Since in years ahead the community at large and in fact the national as a whole will be quite profoundly benefited by this designation, we recommend that application be made to persuade the Ministry for Environment and Forests to take the necessary action. I earnestly request you take up this recommendation on behalf of all Arunachala devotees. [signed by Apeetha, Arunagiri October 14, 2007]

Arunachala Kattu Siva Plantation

Wasting Time?

The linear concept of non-repetitive life creates anxiety, so when you go into silence, alone, you become worried. One thing is; time is wasted. You are not doing anything, you are just sitting. Why are you wasting your life? And this time cannot be regained, because people go on teaching: "Time is wealth." It is absolutely wrong, but we go on teaching, "Time is wealth, don't waste it. Once wasted it never comes again." So if you go into aloneness and sit - you cannot sit there for three years, you cannot sit there for three months, even three days are too much – you have wasted three days! And what are you doing? The problem arises because (especially in the West), being is not regarded as valuable, doing is valuable. They ask, "what have you done?" – because time has to be used in doing something. They say in the West that a vacant mind is the Devil's workshop. And you know it, in the mind you also know it, so when you are sitting alone you become afraid. Wasting time, not doing anything, you go on questioning, yourself, "What are you doing here? Just sitting? Wasting?!" – as if just being is a waste! You feel you have to do something to prove that you have utilized your time! In ancient days, (particularly in the East), just to be was enough; there was no need to prove anything else. No one was going to ask, "What have you done?" Your being was enough and accepted. If you were silent, peaceful, blissful, it was okay. That's why in the East it was never demanded that sannyasins (those who had renounced) work; in fact it was thought that sannyasins were actually better than those occupied in work. Being was respected, so no-one was going to ask, "What you have you done?" Instead everyone asked, "What are you?" If you were silent, peaceful, loving, and compassionate, if you had flowered, it was enough. Then it was Society's duty to help and serve you. No one would say you should work, you should create or be creative. In the East it was thought that to be oneself was the highest creativity, and the presence of such a man was valuable. [Osho - Fragments of a Golden Past (abridged)]

Official Osho Site

Bael

Lord Shiva is said to live under the Bael tree and the tree is often found in Temple gardens and its leaves are used in religious celebrations. Bael (Aegle marmelos) is a fruit-bearing tree indigenous to parts of India and common throughout Tiruvannamalai District. It is also known as Bilva, Bilwa, Stone Apple, Wood Apple etc. The tree which bears thorns and fragrant flowers has a woody-skinned, smooth fruit 5-15cm in diameter. The skin of some forms of the fruit is so hard it must be cracked open with a hammer. It has numerous seeds, which are densely covered with fibrous hairs and are embedded in a thick, gluey, aromatic pulp. The fruit is eaten fresh or dried. The juice is strained and sweetened to make a drink similar to lemonade, and is called Sherbet, a refreshing drink where the pulp is mixed with tamarind. The fruit is also used in religious rituals and as a ayurvedic remedy for such ailments as diarrhea, dysentery, intestinal parasites, dryness of the eyes, and the common cold. It is a very powerful antidote for chronic constipation. The young leaves and small shoots are eaten as salad greens. The leaves can also be made into a poultice and used in the treatments of ophthalmia. The unripe fruit is considered to be a useful astringent in diarrhoea and dysentery, and the ripe fruit (which is edible) is prescribed for afflictions of the gums or throat and as a cure for dyspepsia. The fruit is called Dadhiphala in Sanskrit, as its taste is compared with that of Dadhi or coagulated milk. The roots, and the bark of the tree are used in the treatment of fever by making a decoction of them. The roots are sweet, cure the fevers caused by tridosho, stop pain in the abdomen, palpitation of the heart, and allay urinary troubles. The pulp from the unripe fruits is soaked in gingelly oil for a week and this oil is smeared over the body before bathing. This oil is said to be useful in removing the peculiar burning sensation in the soles. The pulp applied externally is a remedy for bites of venomous insects; if the pulp is not available then the powdered rind of the fruit may be used. It is also prescribed to relieve bowel afflictions.

Bael

Adi Annamalai - Part 2

Lord Siva manifested himself as the Swayambhu Linga (Self Created) on the eastern side of the Hill. The Temple housing this sacred Linga is known as the Arunachaleswara Temple. On the western side of the Hill at the village Adi Annamalai is situated the Temple of Adi Arunachaleswara established by Brahma. According to legend Brahma got enamoured of Tillottama, his own daughter (i.e. one of his own creations) and in his mood of infatuation went after her in the form of a dove. When she took refuge in Siva, the Lord confronted Brahma in the form of a Hunter and dispelled his delusion. There is even today on the slopes of Arunachala, a Temple to the Lord as Hunter, known as Vediyappan Koil, being called wrongly nowadays as Kannapar Koil. To get himself absolved of the sin committed, Brahma installed and worshipped a Linga of Lord Arunachaleswara. This is also called Adi Annamalai. In the Arunachala Puranam (Tamil), Brahma says to his son Sanaka, "To remove the unabating Karmas I installed and worshipped a Linga of Lord Arunachala, who is called Ani Annamalai (Ani = Beautiful)". The month of Maargazhi (December-January) is considered the pre-dawn hour of the gods (Brahma Muhurtha). Saint Manickavachakar sang his immortal "Thiruvembavai' at Adi Annamalai. This song of bridal mysticism is sung all over Tamil Nadu every morning of Maargazhi month. There is a Temple and pond dedicated to this saint at Adi Annamalai. Vision of Sri Ramana Maharshi Describing a vision Bhagavan Sri Ramana once said: "I was wandering about aimlessly when I found at one place a big cave. When I entered the cave, I saw a number of waterfalls, beautiful gardens with tanks and well laid paths shining with bright lights and everything about it was very pleasing. As I walked more into the cave I saw a Siddha Purusha (realised person) seated like Dakshinamoorthy under a tree on the banks of tank. Around him, a number of saints were seated. He was answering to their deep questions. That placed appeared to me familiar. That is all. I opened by eyes. Subsequently after some time when I saw Arunachala Purnanam in Sanksrit, I found the following slokas where Lord Siva says:- 'Here I always abide as the Siddha and I am worshipped by devas. In the interior of my Heart is transcendental glory with all tell the luxuries of the World. My effulgent form in its mellowed appearance is known as the Aruna Hill. Meditating on this might Linga of mine one should do pradakshina (go around it) slowly.' In these two slokas that cave and that Siddha Purusha have been described and so I was surprised that what appeared in a trance was to be found in that book. So I wrote their translation in Tamil: 'Angiyuru Vayumoli Mangugiri yaga'? Its meaning is 'though you are in the form of Fire, you have kept away the Fire and have taken the shape of a Hill mainly to shower your blessings on the people. You are always living here in the form of a Siddha'. The cave that appeared to me is in you with all the luxuries of the world. Not long after this vision the Temple renovation work at Adi Annamalai started (1903-1918). The workers accidentally uncovered a passage in a covered pit on the eastern part of the Temple. When devotees reported about this to me, I visited the place and was surprised to find that it was this very passage that I saw in the vision. Then I thought, that which is in the Purana appears to be true and that the tunnel is the way to places I have seen. I asked them not to investigate further but to close and seal the entrance." [information courtesy of Swami Ramanananda]

Peacock

Those who have visited Arunachala have noticed the many Peacocks both at Ashrams and also found to be inhabiting Ramana Nagar. The term "peacock" is commonly used to refer to birds of both sexes. Technically, only males are peacocks. Females are peahens, and together, they are called peafowl. The Indian Peafowl is indigenous to the country and is designated the national bird of India. The male (peacock) Indian Peafowl has iridescent blue-green or green coloured plumage. The so-called "tail" of the peacock, also termed the "train", is not the tail quill feathers but highly elongated upper tail coverts. The train feathers have a series of eyes that are best seen when the tail is fanned. Peafowl are best known for the male's extravagant tail, which it displays as part of courtship. Peacocks don't develop their long trains until they are 3 years old and they molt the train yearly. Males possess metatarsal spurs or "thorns" used primarily during fights. Suitable males may gather harems of several females, each of which will lay three to five eggs. Wild peafowl often roost in forest trees and gather in groups called parties. The female (peahen) Indian Peafowl has a mixture of dull green, brown, and grey in her plumage. Although she lacks the long upper tail coverts of the male, she does have a crest. Females can also display their plumage to ward off danger to their young or other female competition. The average lifespan of these birds in the wild is 20 years. The male size: Body, 35 to 50 in (90 to 130 cm); Tail, 5 ft (1.5 m) and Weight: 8.75 to 13 lbs (4 to 6 kg). Colour in nature occurs due to two basic processes: pigmentation and structural coloring. Pigment is a substance that, like a dye, gives colour to living and inanimate objects. Peacocks and other structurally coloured animals and things, such as rainbows, soap bubbles and the blue sky, instead get most of their colour from light reflection. In peacock feathers, colour is produced by the reflection of light with frequencies within the partial photonic band gap. If you change the view angle, the partial photonic band gap will shift to short wavelengths for oblique incidence. During mating season the bird will often emit a very loud high pitched cry, "may-awe, may-awe, may-awe." Peafowl are omnivorous and eat plant parts, flower petals, seed heads, insects and other arthropods, reptiles, and amphibians. A peahen's clutch may range from 3—12 eggs, although 4—6 is average. The eggs are usually laid 2 days apart and in the later afternoon. Peafowl eggs take 28 days to hatch. The young are known as peachicks.

Fascinating Peacock Information

Murugan and Peacock

In Hindu mythology a vahana or vehicle (sometimes called a mount) is an animal closely associated with a particular deity. Similarities can be found in the religious associations of Hindu vehicle animals to animal totems and familiars in non-Hindu belief systems. Sacred animals who become the vahanas of various Hindu gods, symbolize and complement the energy or character of the deity and come to be integral to the iconography of that God and are thereafter always depicted with them. Each God or Goddess is in charge of a particular energy they control. These vehicles actually symbolize the various energies that exist in the Universe as well as in human beings. Murugan, the form of Skanda in South India, is mounted on a peacock. This peacock was originally a demon called Surapadma. After provoking Murugan in combat, the demon repented at the moment the God's lance descended upon him, and took the form of a tree and began to pray. Murugan's lance cut the tree in two, from which the God pulled a rooster, which he made his emblem, from one half, and from the other half, a peacock, which he made his mount. In a general sense peacocks are a symbol of openness and acceptance. The patterns of the peacocks feathers which look like eyes, are thought to symbolize the stars.

Full Murugan Information

Arunachala Grace Network

Aum! Let us listen with our ears to that which is auspicious, adorable one. Let us perceive with our eyes what is holy and auspicious. With strong, stable body and limbs, may we seek the Divine Grace and accept the noble order of all our life. *************************

Arunachala Grace Newsletter www.arunachalasamudra.org www.arunachalagrace.blogspot.com www.arunachalaland.blogspot.com contact: arunachalana

We are including a facility on this newsletter for readers who do not yet have their own subscription. [Please remember to adjust your 'spam' recognition to facilitate acceptance of the Newsletter]:Click Here to Subscribe

Arunachala Glory

"That indeed is the Holy Place. Of all Holy Places Arunachala is the foremost. Know it to be the Heart of the world. It is indeed Siva Himself - it is His Heart-abode, a secret holy place. In that place He the Lord, ever abvides as the Hill of Light named Arunachala". Arunachala Mahatmyam While other holy places become renowned due to a saint or sage, this Holy Hill Arunachala draws to its precincts saints and sages by the dozens. The last few centuries alone has seen a host of them resident here. Virupaksha Devar, Isanya Desikar, Guhai Namasivayar, Guru Namasivayar, Sivapraksasam Swamigal, Seshadri Swamigal and Ramana Maharshi. Guhai Namasivaya declares, "This Hill draws to itself those who are rich in Janana Tapas". The four great poets of ancient Tamil Nadu: Appar, Sundarar, Jana Sambandar and Manickavachakar have sung extensively in praise of Arunachala and the Beacon Light, the Deepam. Swami Ramanananda

The Sage and the Thief

A sage used to live naked with a begging bowl as his only possession. A Queen, very much devoted to him asked him for his begging bowl and replaced it with one she had specially made. The sage replied, "There is no problem in accepting your bowl in exchange for mine, any begging bowl will do!" The bowl the Queen presented was studded with precious jewels. As the sage walked from the palace a thief seeing the begging bowl (which shone like stars) followed him. The holy person ate his food from the bowl and then threw it away towards where the thief was hiding. The thief could not believe it. He was really shocked. For a moment he could not think what to do. "What kind of man is this? Perplexed he stood up and faced the holy person. The sage spoke answering the thief's silent question, "To bring you in, I had to throw the bowl out! Come here, the bowl is yours, don't be worried. I have given it to you. It is a gift, a present. I don't have anything else, only the bowl, and I know I cannot keep it for long because when I sleep somebody will take it away, and you have taken so much trouble. Please don't refuse. Take it." The thief said, "You are a strange man. Don't you know how costly it is?" The sage replied, "Since I know myself nothing is costly." The thief looked at the sage and said, "Then give me one more present; how can I know myself, which to you in comparison makes this precious bowl worth nothing? But first let me introduce myself, I am a thief." The sage answered, "Who is not? Don't be concerned with trivia. In this world everybody is a thief because everybody comes naked without anything, and then everybody gains something or other. All are thieves, so don't be worried. Just do one thing, and that is whatever you do, make sure you do it well. So, when you are stealing be aware, be alert, be watchful ... If you lose watchfulness, then don't steal. That is a simple rule. You can come back in two weeks to see me, but first try my suggestion." For two weeks the thief tried and he found that it was the most difficult thing in the world. Once he even reached inside the palace, opened the door of the treasury . . . and when he tried to take something he lost his awareness. As he was an honest man he felt compelled to leave that thing. But it was difficult. Finally he returned empty-handed to the sage and said, "You have disturbed my whole life. Now I cannot steal." The holy person replied, "That is not my problem. Now it is your problem. If you want to steal, forget all about awareness." But the thief answered, "Those few moments of awareness were so valuable. I have never felt so at ease, so peaceful, so silent, so blissful – the whole treasure of the kingdom was nothing compared to it." Now I understand what you mean by saying that once you have known yourself, nothing else is of value. I cannot stop practicing awareness. I have tasted just a few drops of the nectar which you must be tasting every moment. Will you allow me to be a disciple and follow you?" The sage replied, "I knew it the first day we met and I already initiated you when you followed me. You were thinking that you are going to steal the begging bowl, and I was thinking how to steal you. We are both in the same business!"[Osho]

Poems and Inspiration

Feast of Love Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself. He threshes you to make you naked. He sifts you to free you from your husks. He grinds you to whiteness. He kneads you until you are pliant, And then he assigns you to his sacred fire that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast. All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.[The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran] Metanoia Everyone loves a good magician Who can summon forth a prancing pink-frocked elephant Leaping through a flaming hoop Pursued by a lusty Bengal tiger - All eyes and breath locked in wonder I thought upon seeing the Christ or the Buddha And a myriad of others from the invisible world That it all had something to do with being a bridge A messenger from the unseen to the seen But I was wrong, I have no idea what any of it has to do with anything. Still, I keep my eyes on that fiery wheel, Watchful, Awaiting that ravenous, majestic beast In hopes of being devoured And tracking down that conjurer. This whole business isn't anything like I thought it would be. [stephanie Sharon]

The Secret The secret which every intellectual man quickly learns – that beyond the energies of his possessed and conscious intellect he is capable of a new energy (as of intellect doubled upon itself), by abandonment of the nature of things; that beside his privacy of power as an individual man, there is a great public power upon which he can draw, by unlocking, at all risks, his human doors, and suffering the ethereal tides to roll and circulate through him; then he is caught up into the life of the universe, his speech is thunder, his thought is law, and his words are universally intelligible to plants and animals.[Ralph Waldo Emerson]

Deepam Legend

The first night of the lighting of the Deepam Flame, 2007, will be November 24th. In this respect, there are two famous myths from the Puranas that describe the history behind the famous yearly Deepam on the top of Arunachala. The first is about Brahma and Vishnu's dispute over the column of light and the other is of the boon given by Shiva for Parvati's penace in atonement for killing the demon Mahisasura, a devotee of Shiva. (Links to both stories below) It is customary to celebrate Deepam in all Shiva Shrines at the same time that Deepam is celebrated at Arunachala, however the legend for these Siva Shrines is different to that of Arunachala. This other legend goes thus: The Ghee Lamp, Rat and King While Lord Shiva was seated in Mount Kailas with Devi Uma, a ghee lamp was in the process of extinction. A rat nearby approached it to drink the ghee and in that act the wick was pushed out a little, enabling the flame to brighten. This pious act though unintentional, resulted in the rat securing a human birth with huge wealth and the rank of a King. With that prosperous boon the rat was born on earth as Mabali. Mabali, while reigning in all glory, one day wanted to worship Siva and went to a Siva shrine with all his royal paraphernalia. While in the Temple, a drop from a ghee lamp fell upon Mabali. The King got sores from that one drop and his malady continued for a long time. It was then Lord Siva proclaimed, "King, thou art very arrogant. Hence you got this trouble through me. From this day on if you light Shiva shrines with ghee, you will be rid of your sores and live happily." Highly delighted on hearing these words the King from that day commenced lighting Shiva Temples and dark places with ghee (clarified butter) lamps. Lord Shiva looking at the king's piety, gave him liberation in the month of Kartigai on star Kartigai during poorva Paksha. It is for the reason the Lord appeared before the King in the form of Light, that Deepam Darsan is celebrated in all Siva Shrines on this same day every year.

Links:

Arunachala WebsiteArunachala Daily InformationArunachala ArchivesArunachala LandOfficial Osho WebsiteBaelFascinating Peacock InformationBrahma-Vishnu dispute - Myth 1Parvati Boon - Myth 2St. Olaf student visitSaints of ArunachalaArunachala Kattu Siva PlantationFull Murugan InformationStory of Kannapar