IndiaDivine.org

Fw: Arunachala Grace News, June 2009

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

To receive email from Meenakshi Ammal, add arunachalana to your safe sender list.

View as Web Page

Subscribe

Send to a Friend

ARUNACHALA GRACE NEWS --JUNE, 2009

WELCOME

Thank you for your interest in Arunachala Grace Newsletter. We have added a PayPal facility on this page for those who wish to support the development of Arunachala Grace Network.

For details about the development of Arunachala Grace Network or for help or information in planning your trip or Retreat Group to Arunachala, please get in touch: arunachalana at fastmail dot fm

Stories and Sayings

Farmer and DonkeyOne day a farmer lost his donkey. While searching for the donkey he heard loud cries coming from a well. He looked down the well and found his old donkey crying piteously. He thought the old donkey must have received severe injuries, and thus believed; "Its better to bury the Donkey in the well and close the well to prevent any future calamities". So the farmer called his neighbours for help and they all started throwing mud inside the well. Initially one could hear loud cries coming from inside the well but slowly the cries stopped coming. After some time they looked down the well and to their amazement the donkey was still very much alive. As the farmers were throwing mud into the well, the animal was shaking the mud from its back and taking one step up. This way the

creature was gaining height and slowly coming closer to the edge of the well until it was soon out of its dire straits. All challenges in our life are like the mud which life throws at us. We just need to shake off the mud and take one step up. All challenges are opportunities to rise higher.[Osho] ReactionThe only thing that we can change and which we have the power to change is our reaction to events. How we respond to an event is in our hands. We can respond either from Mind or with awareness. All things and events are happening or predetermined. The only thing that is not happening and that we have to practice is being aware. Real wisdom lies in putting effort in being more aware and responding each moment with awareness.[Osho] An explorer, anxious to reach his destination in the heart of Africa, promised an extra payment to his bearers if they would make greater speed. For several days, the bearers moved along at a faster pace. One afternoon, though, they all suddenly put down their burden and sat on the ground. No matter how much money they were offered, they refused to move on. When the explorer finally asked why they were behaving as they were, he was given the following answer: "We have been moving along at such a fast pace that we no longer know what we are doing. Now we have to wait until our soul catches up with us."[Paulo Coelho]

Paulo Coelho site

Our Deepest Fear

This narrative which was used by Nelson Mandela in his 1994 Inaugural Speech, was actually written by Marianne Williamson. "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves; "Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?" Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. "

Marianne Williamson Website

Blueprints for Awakening

A highly recommended book "Blueprints for Awakening," has been recently launched. The book is a collection of authentic Sage wisdom-teaching, designed to give pointers to Self-realisation for today's seekers after essential Truth.The enlightened Indian Masters -- Ajja, Ramesh Balsekar, Brahman, Swami Dayananda, V.S. Ganesan, D.B. Gangolli, Kiran, Sri Nannagaru, Swami Pramananda, Radha Ma, Samdarshi, Swami Satchidananda, Ma Souris, Swami Suddhananda and Thuli Baba, -- are interviewed by the Western Advaita teacher Premananda. Premananda asks each chosen Sage the same twelve pertinent questions designed to unfold and explain the teachings of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi as set out in his original, seminal essays "Who

Am I?" and "Self-Enquiry". "This is arguably the best and finest introduction to the hallowed teaching of Advaita Vedanta that has ever appeared. A marvellous collection of authentic Sage wisdom-teaching, perfectly designed to give the correct pointers to Self-realisation for today's seekers after essential Truth." [Alan Jacobs]In addition the book, which is an introduction for those who find themselves drawn to the great inner quest, has also been collated into a ninety minute DVD film, "Blueprints for Awakening -- Wisdom of the Masters".

Blueprint Website

Lord Murugan

Lord Murugan (he is also known by the names; Subrahmanya, Arumugam, Shanmukha, Kumara and Skanda) is worshipped primarily in areas with a Tamil influence. He is the God of war and the patron deity of Tamil Nadu. In Tiruvannamalai he is closely associated with saints such as Arunagirinatha, and more recently Ramana Maharshi. Lord Murugan is the hero son of Lord Shiva and his swarupa (form) is jyotirmaya. In his form as Shanmukha, he is depicted with six faces and twelve hands; the six faces represent the five elements and the spirit. Some writings go further and aver that his six heads represent the six siddhis bestowed upon yogis in his role as bestower of siddhis. In Tamil scriptures the functions of the six faces of the Lord are; one face shining to remove ignorance and bestow Knowledge; another fulfils the desires of devotees and

attends to their needs; a third face bestows strength and inspiration for the performance of rituals and sacrifices; a fourth brings out the inner secrets and helps the seekers of knowledge by revealing those secrets to them; a fifth face has the purpose of protecting the virtuous and punishing the wicked; and the sixth face stands for that function of the Lord that ignites Love and bestows happiness amongst the Jivas. The three integral elements of Muruga's personality are spear (vel) in His hand, peacock as His mount and cock adorning His banner. Vel signifies jnanasakti (power of wisdom); which was given to Muruga by His Divine Mother Parvati wishing Him victory over the asuras led by Surapadma. The spear of Muruga is venerated by devotees as Sakti Vel or Veera Vel signifying its extraordinary power and strength. The Vel or Lance represents a way to end your karma and negativity.

Saint Arunagirinatha wrote, "Vinai Oda Vidum Kadirvel Maraven" which means "The luminous Lance which drives out our bonds of karma". The cock and peacock represent nada and bindu. The peacock displays the divine shape of Omkara when it spreads its plumes into a full-blown circular form, while the cock drives away evil spirits and proclaims loudly the Pranava sound OM. Murugan is venerated throughout the Tamil year. There is a six day period of fast and prayer in the Tamil month of Aippasi known as the Skanda Shasti. He is also worshipped at Thaipusam, celebrated by Tamil communities worldwide near the full moon of the Tamil month Thai. Thaipusam commemorates the day Muruga was given the Vel (lance) by his mother. Thirukarthigai or the full moon of the Tamil month of Karthigai signifies the Lord's birth. Each Tuesday of

the Tamil month of Adi is also dedicated to the worship of Murugan. Tuesday in the Hindu tradition connotes Mangala, the god of planet Mars and war.

Devotee Arunagirinatha

Links:

Arunachala Website

Arunachala Blog

Sri Nannagaru Site

Shantimalai Trust

John Button Site

Golden Oriole Photos

Wood Apple

Blueprints for Awakening Order

Land Photographs

Ashoka Apartments

Arunachala Tidbits

Tiruvannamalai CollegesThe State Government has recently announced the setting up of a Government Engineering College in Arni. In addition representations are currently being made to the State's Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, for the setting up of a medical college in Tiruvannamalai. ObesityWhile obesity has for long been considered a disease of the affluent, the latest National Health and Family Survey confirms that the junk food culture and sedentary lifestyle has also percolated to the rural areas of the State. 15% of women in rural Tamil Nadu have been found to be overweight. Although Tamil Nadu is one of the high-nutrition States because of the radical change of diet, health care professionals now have to battle an epidemic of diabetes and obesity. At this time there are no specific figures for obesity-related disease in the urbanised Tiruvannamalai, however in Chennai 46.7% women and 31.6% men were found to be overweight. Election ResultsResults from recent elections in India, resulted in Tamil Nadu with the ruling party DMK and its allies winning 27 of 39 seats and the AIADMK front (led by the charismatic leader Jayalalitha) winning 12. An unusually high voter turnout surprised pollsters with Tiruvannamalai recording more than 80% voter turnout. The DMK's victory is generally attributed to the DMK government's welfare schemes reaching the people at the grassroot level and the Centre providing enormous funds to Tamil Nadu for various projects. The schemes include; provision of 20 kg of rice at Rs.1/- per kg in government ration shops, waiver of farm loans to the tune of Rs.7,000 crore, old-age pensions, distribution of two acres to landless peasants and financial assistance to poor women during marriage and pregnancy. Sri Nannagaru Visits ArunachalaSri Nannagaru is currently residing at his Arunachala Ashram located off Chengam Road, a kilometre west of Ramana Ashram. He has been giving regular daily darshan to devotees and visitors. He is expected to remain at Tiruvannamalai until June 20th, 2009.

Sri Nannagaru Photos

A.P. Santhanaraj

In Chennai on May 25, 2009 the eminent artist A.P. Santhanaraj passed away at his home near Tambaram after suffering from health problems for some time. Although suffering from consistent ill health in the last years, he continued to paint until his death. He was 77 years old and is survived by four sons. Santhanaraj was born on March 13, 1932, at Tiruvannamalai and exhibited a fascination for drawing from the early age of 4 years old. His distraction with pictures absorbed him so completely that he considered going to the Tiruvannamalai Danish Mission School a major hindrance and considered school teaching and learning "artificial".

Contd click link

Self Help Groups

The women's wing of Shanthimalai Research & Development Trust [sRDT] with a vision to uplift households towards self sustenance through women self-help-groups (SHGs), now comprises 64 Panchayats covering 151 villages. About 825 groups, with a representation of 14,775 women have been supported in their attempts towards self sufficiency. In addition the ambit of SRDT through other service units, covers more than 300,000 people. Below the story of Kasa, one of the many inspirational examples of attaining self-sufficiency through the support of SRDT.Story of Kasa"Kasa" belongs to Valar Madhar Sangham. Kasa never had proper schooling and after an early marriage and children, the means of how to sustain and improve her life and that of her growing family, was unknown to her. At this time the thought of two meals a day was

just a dream. "As a couple we used to take road contract jobs and run to different States and used to stay for months together away from home. My children were cared and reared by mother-in-law. But as a mother I had sleepless nights due to separation from children. One night I brought up my idea of starting something of our own at home town to my husband. I convinced my husband to lead better life in home town as a native than as a migrant. We came back to village and took up some petty jobs. I joined the SHG. Learnt to put my signature and felt the change in me. Through self help groups, took a loan and brought a change in my social and economic status.Three fruitful years rolled on and enabled us to mature economically. I availed loans for milch animal; to dig well for agriculture; and to construct a small house of our own. Having fulfilled my earlier dreams of erasing poverty I

started to dream for my children's future. Today, I borrowed from groups for my children’s education. Migration and poverty is no more in my life. Contributing for overall development of my village is my next idea."Previously the demands of local people were personalized. And their expectation was marginal subsistence in a life full of drudgery. The inception of groups and membership has slowly enabled participants not only to focus on their individual and familial goals but also to remain compassionate towards others and their community. "Women during interviews often say, 'we now should do something for our Panchayat (village community)."******************************"The poor do not need charity: they need inspiration. Charity only sends them a loaf of bread to keep them alive in their wretchedness, or gives them an entertainment to make them

forget for an hour or two.What tends to do away with poverty is not the getting of pictures of poverty into your mind, but getting pictures of wealth, abundance, and possibility into the minds of the poor.Poverty can be done away with, not be increasing the number of the rich who think about poverty, but by increasing the number of poor people who purpose with faith to get rich."[Wallace D. Wattles]

Shantimalai Trust

Give Yourself Up To The Mountain

John Button, an Australian, has been working with Permaculture for over twenty five years, first in Australia, and for the last fifteen years in India, South East Asia, continental Europe and the Canary Islands. He has worked in the role of designer, implementer, teacher, consultant and project co-ordinator, in climates zones including dry tropics, rainforest sub-tropics, Mediterranean, temperate and alpine. He has broad, practical experience, having built several houses, planted many gardens and orchards, and many thousands of trees. He is an active campaigner for environmental and social justice. I had just arrived (1989) in Tiruvannamalai to help initiate a project to reforest the sacred mountain

Arunachala. Specifically I was there to plant trees and to make a forest on a little mountain that was little more than rocks and stubbles of grass. A tall order to be sure, and lots of work! I wasn’t there to sit around contemplating my navel, or to indulge in philosophy, much less esoteric ramblings. The project had been initiated by Apeetha Arunagiri, a fellow Australian who had lived in Tiruvannamalai for many years however, it was in the context of a Deep Ecology workshop conducted on my land by one of the founders of RIC, John Seed, that my own involvement began. I had first met John during demonstrations to save forests from the chainsaws of the logging industry. I had planted many thousands of trees in regenerating our degraded cattle farm, and had a profound love for India forged in the course of various visits there. More significantly, my best friend had introduced

me to his long-dead guru through a book which had touched my cynical soul to the core. The book was, 'A Search in Secret India' (Paul Brunton) and his guru was Ramana Maharishi. I had been strongly affected by Brunton's tale and the credibility of his direct experience of a divine perfection, which I had always sceptically dismissed and denied. I had been working with Permaculture for nearly 10 years in Australia and had a passionate relationship with India, but none of this adequately prepared me for the reality of the task. I was a total novice to project work, and my relationship with India had been as a free wanderer totally unconstrained by any specific focus other than spontaneous experience. Apart from a tiny band of people, the general impression was of total scepticism. Incredulity that anybody could be so

foolish as to contemplate greening the barren Arunachala. All photos from the earliest period of Ramana's residence on the mountain showed not the slightest existence of forest so who could believe it was possible? And even hostility: lemongrass was harvested each year by a handful of grasscutters who then fired the Fire Mountain to encourage the grasses and incinerate any other competing species; others deliberately lit the mountain with the belief that Siva in the form of Light would manifest their desires if they set it on fire. A plantation effort by the Forestry Department years before had born little encouragement for success, and one possessed Swami-tree planter had been reduced to bitter cynicism by the constant vandalising of all his efforts to green the mountain. My own parents declared me to be quite crazy when they realised I was actually paying for the privilege of reforesting a sacred mountain in south India. I responded that I was

convinced that I would receive infinitely more than I could ever give. The first two plantings on the mountain seemed to confirm the pessimism of the majority. Almost 100%, burnt to char by the fires, or devoured by the goats, or plucked out to be used as kindling. Determination finally succeeded though, as all who know Arunachala would well understand. Watchmen were posted to guard every seedling. Somebody initiated creating stone cages around every planting, a strategy which I resisted as absurd energy loss better used in the form of more watchmen. In hindsight though, the symbolic significance of demonstrating that we would stop at nothing to ensure the mountain was forested probably convinced many people of our credibility. A huge step forward came with the approach to the Temple authorities to create our main

nursery in the great Temple itself, since the Temple is sited on a number of abundant natural springs. In the process of growing our seedlings, we would regenerate the gardens which had once shaded the Temple, including recreating the sacred plantings that had traditionally been associated with worship. We also undertook to provide coconuts and flowers used in daily ritual. It was accepted, and we took a great leap to rebind the ancient association of nature and the Divine being inseparable. We also raised up to 300,000 seedlings each year, and the largest Temple garden in the country. One day, a fire broke out on the mountain. Without anybody cajoling, villagers closest to the ARS planting rushed up and beat out the fires. It was the most significant public gesture I could have hoped for; that the local people clearly perceived more benefit to themselves in a mountain covered with trees

than with rocks and grass. At last we had our volunteers, en masse. These days, one sign of smoke on the mountain inspires a rash of phone-calls and a small army of workers and student volunteers invade the slopes with water and fire-beaters to extinguish the blaze. Gradually the exposed path up to Skandashram has become covered in a shady canopy of trees as the barren rockscape is transformed to forest. High on the mountain, the vast bamboo glades which one dominated some areas, are naturally regrowing, having lain dormant for literally generations. Vestiges of huge old trees long ago felled are respouting, responding to the simple presence of time to grow, without fire or blade or teeth to hinder them. Of course a big blaze can still seriously damage all the good work, but now there is a host of independent groups all working in their own right to regreen Arunachala. As for my retort to my parents, I have indeed received infinitely more than I ever 'gave '. Constantly confronted with my own limits and expectations of success or failure, I was forced to observe my reactions and response more profoundly than ever before. The teachings of Arunachala are relentless, irresistible. I received two exquisite daughters too, delectable fruits of a relationship born in the shadow of the mountain. And the success of my professional work has come as a direct result of association with the blessed Arunachala. Giving myself up to the mountain.

John Button Website

Health Practitioner

Tiruvannamalai is now host to a practitioner of the EPFX-SCIO bio-feedback machine. The practitioner is Agasthiya Ganesh, a young man originating from this area and who recently completed his SCIO training in Singapore and France. The SCIO is a Biofeedback device capable of detecting and reducing stress that causes imbalance on the physical, mental and emotional levels. After measuring the body's frequencies, the machine feeds back the proper frequencies to redress or neutralize destructive wave patterns allowing the body to heal itself. This bio-feedback machine tests the body's electrical energy, organs and muscles by concentrating on five contact points; ankles, wrists and head. Straps are placed around these points and frequencies go from there to a EPFX box which directs it into computer software. Proponents of the bio-feedback machine suggest

that when the frequency of the body's cells are low, one is more susceptible to disease. In this respect managing the physiological responses to stress is critical to good health. But to manage stress, one needs to ascertain; what is creating it, and, how to respond appropriately. And this can be determined through the utilisation of the SCIO bio-feedback machine. More about Ganesh and his experiences in becoming a health practitioner in the next Arunachala Grace Newsletter. In the meanwhile, to learn more about the SCIO and to consult Ganesh, the Tiruvannamalai practitioner, contact information:Information and Consultation: Agasthiya GaneshEmail:agasthiya at in dot com

SCIO information

Golden Oriole

This bird's name, Oriole was first used in English in the 18th century, and comes from the Latin "aureolus" golden. This bird is known as the Golden Oriole or (Eurasian) Golden Oriole and is found throughout India, (excepting the North East) and is not uncommon in Tiruvannamalai District. The Oriole (kundoo) found in India, differs from the European Oriole, chiefly in that its black eye-streak extends behind the eye. The bird, which is the size of a Mynah is both resident and migratory. It is bright golden in colour with black in wings and tail, and a conspicuous black streak through the eye. The female is duller and greener. The kundoo is found singly or in pairs, among leafy trees in wooded country.It is arboreal, a dweller of open, well-wooded country. And happiest in trees around villages, cultivation and gardens. Its food is

insects and fruit (favouring banyan, peepul figs and flower nectar) and it concentrates on food found in the tree canopies where it spends most of its time. The Oriole nesting season extends from April to July. Its nest is cup-like, made of grass and fibres and bound with cobweb in the fork of a leafy twig tree. The bird lays 2 or 3 eggs, spotted black or reddish brown. Both sexes share all domestic duties.The Oriole has a flight similar to the thrush, with strong dipping flight and shallow dips over longer distances. Its call is a harsh screech like a jay with a beautiful fluting song, weela-wee-ooo or peelolo, unmistakable once heard.Orioles are shy, and even the male is difficult to see in the dappled yellow and green leaves of the canopy.

Oriole Photographs

Wood Apple

The Wood Apple is one of the trees recorded in the Skanda Purana, as being specially favoured by Arunachala. This tree is also known as elephant apple and monkey fruit. It used to go by the botanical name Feronia elephantum but today it has a new botanical name: Limonia acidissima. To the question: Why elephant apple? Undoubtedly, elephants (as well as monkeys) are fond of the fruit but it is more that rural folk believe the digestive track of the elephant has a peculiar capacity for digesting the inner contents of the fruit without in any manner affecting the fruit's woody rind. So, when the animal defecates, the fruit comes out looking as if it is whole.The fruit is cold, dry, refreshing and is used as a liver and cardiac tonic, and, when unripe, as an astringent means of halting diarrhea and dysentery. It is also an effective treatment for hiccough, sore throat and

diseases of the gums. Sherbet made from the fruit increases appetite and has disease prevention properties. The Wood Apple is called Dadhiphala in Sanskrit, as its taste is compared with that of Dadhi or coagulated milk. The leaves are aromatic and carminative (anti-gas). The juice of young leaves is mixed with milk and sugar candy and given as a remedy for childrens' biliousness and intestinal troubles. Oil derived from the crushed leaves is effective applied on itches and the leaf decoction is given as an aid to digestion. The fruit when cultivated, reaches a diameter of approximately four inches. Rural folk pound the leaves with curds and apply the mixture to the whole body as a remedy for heat of blood supposed to be caused by bile. After the rains, the trunk and branches give off a gum called 'Feronia gum' which counteracts diarrhoea, dysentery and diabetes. Leaves, bark,

roots and fruit pulp are all used against snakebite.

Wood Apple

Ashoka Apartments

Drawings are now available of Ashoka Apartments, Ramana Nagar to be built opposite Sadhu Om Colony down the road from the Post Office. The apartments are available to both resident Indians and visitors from overseas. The 3-storey Complex will comprise; 15 apartments, 6 for direct purchase and 9 available for rent on 3 year Long Leases. There will be a secure perimeter gate and each apartment includes balcony facing outward and inward the apartments overlook a centre arboretum (garden). Special facilities offered include: meditation hall on roof, lift, 24-hour security, basement car parking and laundry room in basement.

Ashoka Drawings

South Arunachala Land

Two beautiful parcels (2½ acres and 4½ acres) of agricultural land up for sale about 7-8 kms (as the crow flies) south of Arunachala. Both parcels are located in a peaceful, rural, unspoilt area, are in pristine condition and currently under paddy (rice) cultivation. Water is sweet, plentiful and easily available. To view the area in which both these parcels are located click on the below link.

Photographs

Devananthal Plots

Plots are available at affordable rates in rural Devananthal 2kms from base of Arunachala. If required the developer will build houses to order. The Devananthal area is just passed Vediyappanur off the Girivalam roadway and will maintain its integrity far longer than other spots in equal proximity to the Hill. The darshan of Arunachala is spectacular.

Information and Photographs