IndiaDivine.org

Realise the Self within yourself

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Day by Day with Bhagavan________16-3-45 MorningA visitor: Should I give up my business and take toreading books on Vedanta?Bhagavan: If the objects have an independent existence,i.e., if they exist anywhere apart from you, then it may bepossible for you to go away from them. But they don't existapart from you; they owe their existence to you, your thought.So, where can you go, to escape them? As for reading bookson Vedanta, you may go on reading any number of them. Theycan only tell you, `Realise the Self within you'. The Self cannotbe found in books. You have to find it out for yourself, inyourself.EveningAlmost the same question was put by another visitor inthe afternoon and Bhagavan said, "Where can you go, fleeingfrom the world or objects? They are like the shadow of a man,which the man cannot flee from. There is a funny story of aman who wanted to bury his shadow. He dug a deep pit and,seeing his shadow at the bottom, was glad he could bury it sodeep. He went on filling the pit and when he had completelyfilled it up he was surprised and disappointed to find theshadow on top. Even so, the objects or thoughts of them willbe with you always, till you realise the Self."

Only Bhagavan Sri RAMANA can say this lofty ideal of "atama anubavam" in so simple and effective way

We are all indebted to HIM

with best wishes,

tgranganathan--- On Mon, 1/18/10, Grant <g-ssummerville wrote:

Grant <g-ssummerville Realise the Self within yourself Date: Monday, January 18, 2010, 6:41 PM

Day by Day with Bhagavan________16-3-45 MorningA visitor: Should I give up my business and take toreading books on Vedanta?Bhagavan: If the objects have an independent existence,i.e., if they exist anywhere apart from you, then it may bepossible for you to go away from them. But they don't existapart from you; they owe their existence to you, your thought.So, where can you go, to escape them? As for reading bookson Vedanta, you may go on reading any number of them. Theycan only tell you, `Realise the Self within you'. The Self cannotbe found in books. You have to find it out for yourself, inyourself.EveningAlmost the same question was put by another visitor inthe afternoon and Bhagavan said, "Where can you go, fleeingfrom the world or objects? They are like the shadow of a man,which the man cannot flee from. There

is a funny story of aman who wanted to bury his shadow. He dug a deep pit and,seeing his shadow at the bottom, was glad he could bury it sodeep. He went on filling the pit and when he had completelyfilled it up he was surprised and disappointed to find theshadow on top. Even so, the objects or thoughts of them willbe with you always, till you realise the Self."