IndiaDivine.org

questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've just been reading "Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge" by Arthur Osborne. I am particularly interested in the way in which people received silent initiation and upadesa from the 'outer' Guru. Now of course, the outer form of the Guru is no longer with us and so the question arises about how, if at all, disciples in these times receive initiation and instruction. As a starting point, there must be an earnest and sincere approach from the disciple and a genuine desire to receive these, but what of the response? Is it now a response of the Self without any reference to form, or is the form of the Maharshi still a part of what people experience - perhaps in the dream state?I'd like to hear about peoples' experiences in this regard and also learn of written accounts on this subject from people who have come along subsequent to the passing of the outer form.Grant

, " Grant " <g-ssummerville wrote:

>

> I've just been reading " Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge "

> by Arthur Osborne. I am particularly interested in the way in which

> people received silent initiation and upadesa from the 'outer' Guru. Now

> of course, the outer form of the Guru is no longer with us and so the

> question arises about how, if at all, disciples in these times receive

> initiation and instruction. As a starting point, there must be an

> earnest and sincere approach from the disciple and a genuine desire to

> receive these, but what of the response? Is it now a response of the

> Self without any reference to form, or is the form of the Maharshi still

> a part of what people experience - perhaps in the dream state?

>

> I'd like to hear about peoples' experiences in this regard and also

> learn of written accounts on this subject from people who have come

> along subsequent to the passing of the outer form.

>

> Grant

>

Namaste,

One time on an ashram in India I was lying on my mattress peacefully when an old

yogi (astral?), in a shabby brown robe came into the room. He told me to tap him

on the shoulder and he pointed where. As soon as I did that I went up through

all the dimensions of form and mishapen beings and just coloured energy until my

mind went beyond experience....Tony.

Are you really sure Bhagavan is no longer with us?

Arunachala certainly is.

Once [i read] when someone asked Bhagavan what

about those unfortunate ones who could not come

see Bhagavan in person? Ramana replied, "That's what

pictures and books are for."

-

Grant

Friday, February 05, 2010 12:49 PM

questions

I've just been reading "Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge" by Arthur Osborne. I am particularly interested in the way in which people received silent initiation and upadesa from the 'outer' Guru. Now of course, the outer form of the Guru is no longer with us and so the question arises about how, if at all, disciples in these times receive initiation and instruction. As a starting point, there must be an earnest and sincere approach from the disciple and a genuine desire to receive these, but what of the response? Is it now a response of the Self without any reference to form, or is the form of the Maharshi still a part of what people experience - perhaps in the dream state?I'd like to hear about peoples' experiences in this regard and also learn of written accounts on this subject from people who have come along subsequent to the passing of the outer form.Grant

Orva, the implications of that are profound. It means that one can use a

photograph in the same way as seeing and being with Sri Ramana in

person. Teachings can potentially be as potent when read from a book

now, as when they were delivered in person. Any limitation construed by

the mind, simply because that body no longer walks the earth, is not

real. Is that what you're wanting to convey?

Grant

, " orva schrock " <otsclu

wrote:

>

> Are you really sure Bhagavan is no longer with us?

> Arunachala certainly is.

> Once [i read] when someone asked Bhagavan what

> about those unfortunate ones who could not come

> see Bhagavan in person? Ramana replied, " That's what

> pictures and books are for. "

> -

> Grant<g-ssummerville

> To:

<

> Friday, February 05, 2010 12:49 PM

> questions

>

>

>

> I've just been reading " Ramana Maharshi and the Path of

Self-knowledge " by Arthur Osborne. I am particularly interested in the

way in which people received silent initiation and upadesa from the

'outer' Guru. Now of course, the outer form of the Guru is no longer

with us and so the question arises about how, if at all, disciples in

these times receive initiation and instruction. As a starting point,

there must be an earnest and sincere approach from the disciple and a

genuine desire to receive these, but what of the response? Is it now a

response of the Self without any reference to form, or is the form of

the Maharshi still a part of what people experience - perhaps in the

dream state?

>

> I'd like to hear about peoples' experiences in this regard and also

learn of written accounts on this subject from people who have come

along subsequent to the passing of the outer form.

>

> Grant

>

Bhagavan often tried to direct people away from attaching to His physical appearance.

I leave it to each individual how they wish to see or experience Bhagavan's "presence."

O.

-

Grant

Friday, February 05, 2010 6:13 PM

Re: questions

Orva, the implications of that are profound. It means that one can use aphotograph in the same way as seeing and being with Sri Ramana inperson. Teachings can potentially be as potent when read from a booknow, as when they were delivered in person. Any limitation construed bythe mind, simply because that body no longer walks the earth, is notreal. Is that what you're wanting to convey?Grant , "orva schrock" <otscluwrote:>> Are you really sure Bhagavan is no longer with us?> Arunachala certainly is.> Once [i read] when someone asked Bhagavan what> about those unfortunate ones who could not come> see Bhagavan in person? Ramana replied, "That's what> pictures and books are for."> -> Grant<g-ssummerville Friday, February 05, 2010 12:49 PM> questions>>>> I've just been reading "Ramana Maharshi and the Path ofSelf-knowledge" by Arthur Osborne. I am particularly interested in theway in which people received silent initiation and upadesa from the'outer' Guru. Now of course, the outer form of the Guru is no longerwith us and so the question arises about how, if at all, disciples inthese times receive initiation and instruction. As a starting point,there must be an earnest and sincere approach from the disciple and agenuine desire to receive these, but what of the response? Is it now aresponse of the Self without any reference to form, or is the form ofthe Maharshi still a part of what people experience - perhaps in thedream state?>> I'd like to hear about peoples' experiences in this regard and alsolearn of written accounts on this subject from people who have comealong subsequent to the passing of the outer form.>> Grant>

Certainly, the physical manifestation along with written teachings need

only be utilised while there is a need. Clearly there was a need, or

else Self would not have manifested in this way. My point is that just

as there was a need then, there is also now. The photograph and the

written word can fulfil this need now by His grace.

Grant

, " orva schrock " <otsclu

wrote:

>

> Bhagavan often tried to direct people away from attaching to His

physical appearance.

> I leave it to each individual how they wish to see or experience

Bhagavan's " presence. "

> O.

> -

> Grant<g-ssummerville

> To:

<

> Friday, February 05, 2010 6:13 PM

> Re: questions

>

>

>

> Orva, the implications of that are profound. It means that one can

use a

> photograph in the same way as seeing and being with Sri Ramana in

> person. Teachings can potentially be as potent when read from a book

> now, as when they were delivered in person. Any limitation construed

by

> the mind, simply because that body no longer walks the earth, is not

> real. Is that what you're wanting to convey?

>

> Grant

>

> --- In

<%40\

>, " orva schrock " otsclu@

> wrote:

> >

> > Are you really sure Bhagavan is no longer with us?

> > Arunachala certainly is.

> > Once [i read] when someone asked Bhagavan what

> > about those unfortunate ones who could not come

> > see Bhagavan in person? Ramana replied, " That's what

> > pictures and books are for. "

> > -

> > Grant<g-ssummerville@

> > To:

>

<%40\

>< <%40g\

roups.com>

> > Friday, February 05, 2010 12:49 PM

> > questions

> >

> >

> >

> > I've just been reading " Ramana Maharshi and the Path of

> Self-knowledge " by Arthur Osborne. I am particularly interested in

the

> way in which people received silent initiation and upadesa from the

> 'outer' Guru. Now of course, the outer form of the Guru is no longer

> with us and so the question arises about how, if at all, disciples

in

> these times receive initiation and instruction. As a starting point,

> there must be an earnest and sincere approach from the disciple and

a

> genuine desire to receive these, but what of the response? Is it now

a

> response of the Self without any reference to form, or is the form

of

> the Maharshi still a part of what people experience - perhaps in the

> dream state?

> >

> > I'd like to hear about peoples' experiences in this regard and

also

> learn of written accounts on this subject from people who have come

> along subsequent to the passing of the outer form.

> >

> > Grant

> >

>

Thanks.

O

-

Grant

Saturday, February 06, 2010 11:33 AM

Certainly, the physical manifestation along with written teachings needonly be utilised while there is a need. Clearly there was a need, orelse Self would not have manifested in this way. My point is that justas there was a need then, there is also now. The photograph and thewritten word can fulfil this need now by His grace.Grant , "orva schrock" <otscluwrote:>> Bhagavan often tried to direct people away from attaching to Hisphysical appearance.> I leave it to each individual how they wish to see or experienceBhagavan's "presence."> O.> -> Grant<g-ssummerville Friday, February 05, 2010 6:13 PM> Re: questions>>>> Orva, the implications of that are profound. It means that one canuse a> photograph in the same way as seeing and being with Sri Ramana in> person. Teachings can potentially be as potent when read from a book> now, as when they were delivered in person. Any limitation construedby> the mind, simply because that body no longer walks the earth, is not> real. Is that what you're wanting to convey?>> Grant>> --- In <%40\>, "orva schrock" otsclu@> wrote:> >> > Are you really sure Bhagavan is no longer with us?> > Arunachala certainly is.> > Once [i read] when someone asked Bhagavan what> > about those unfortunate ones who could not come> > see Bhagavan in person? Ramana replied, "That's what> > pictures and books are for."> > -> > Grant<g-ssummerville@> > To:> <%40\>< <%40g\roups.com>> > Friday, February 05, 2010 12:49 PM> > questions> >> >> >> > I've just been reading "Ramana Maharshi and the Path of> Self-knowledge" by Arthur Osborne. I am particularly interested inthe> way in which people received silent initiation and upadesa from the> 'outer' Guru. Now of course, the outer form of the Guru is no longer> with us and so the question arises about how, if at all, disciplesin> these times receive initiation and instruction. As a starting point,> there must be an earnest and sincere approach from the disciple anda> genuine desire to receive these, but what of the response? Is it nowa> response of the Self without any reference to form, or is the formof> the Maharshi still a part of what people experience - perhaps in the> dream state?> >> > I'd like to hear about peoples' experiences in this regard andalso> learn of written accounts on this subject from people who have come> along subsequent to the passing of the outer form.> >> > Grant> >>

AUM NAMO BHAGAVATE SRI RAMNAYA!I am now much much convinced that seeing Bhagavan's photo and reading books written on HIM by devotees are enough,easy and we can feel HIS presence .So I need not grumble for not seeing HIM in His physical body.Thanks a lot dear Devotee.with best wishes tgranganathan--- On Fri, 2/5/10, orva schrock <otsclu wrote:orva schrock <otscluRe: questions Date: Friday, February 5, 2010, 4:08 PM

Arunachala certainly is.

-

Grant

questions

I believe to love Him is to know Him as He is.

Yes, it is easy. How very fortunate we are!

o

-

TG Ranganathan

Saturday, February 06, 2010 12:40 PM

AUM NAMO BHAGAVATE SRI RAMNAYA! I am now much much convinced that seeing Bhagavan's photo and reading books written on HIM by devotees are enough,easy and we can feel HIS presence .

So I need not grumble for not seeing HIM in His physical body.

Thanks a lot dear Devotee.

with best wishes

tgranganathan--- On Fri, 2/5/10, orva schrock <otsclu wrote:

orva schrock <otscluRe: questions Date: Friday, February 5, 2010, 4:08 PM

Arunachala certainly is.

-

Grant

questions