IndiaDivine.org

Bhagavan composes verses

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Day by Day with Bhagavan________26-10-45 MorningBhagavan told me that one morning, when he wassitting on the verandah in Virupakshi Cave, the words(non-english script) came to him very insistently, buthe took no special notice of them. It seems the same thinghappened the following morning also. Then Bhagavan composedthe first stanza of (n-e script) (Eleven Verses onArunachala). The next morning the words beginning the secondstanza similarly came to him and he composed the second stanza;and so it went on every day, until the last two stanzas werecomposed on one day. On that day, after composing the two laststanzas Bhagavan, it seems, started for giripradakshina (goinground the hill). One of his disciples, Aiyaswami, brought a pieceof paper and pencil and told another disciple who was goingwith Bhagavan, "Bhagavan has been composing one stanza everymorning for some days now, and today he has composed twostanzas. More may come to him today. In case they do, have thispaper and pencil with you, so that the same may be recorded."And on the way round the hill Bhagavan actually composed thefirst six stanzas of the Arunachala Ashtakam (Eight Verses onArunachala). It seems Echamma first got the (n-e script)(The Marital Garland of Letters) published and later NarayanaReddi. This Narayana Reddi came to know of the Padhikam andAshtakam soon afterwards, and wanted to publish them. ThenBhagavan composed two more stanzas for completing theAshtakam; and the Padhikam and Ashtakam were published byNarayana Reddi. This is how the Padhikam and Ashtakam in theFive Hymns on Arunachala came to be composed.I asked Bhagavan: "I know that in the Madura house itself,Bhagavan had the dawn of jnana and that ever since then,Bhagavan had no (n-e script) (I-am-this-bodyconsciousness). I know also that Bhagavan had a (n-e script) (aburning sensation) in the body which did not cease until he arrivedat the temple here and reported His arrival to God Arunachala.But I don't believe this was the (n-e script) mentioned in MaritalGarland; I also think that Bhagavan has gone through the severepain or physical ordeal which I have read most Saints had to gothrough when the knot between body and spirit is sundered. Iwish to know when this happened in Bhagavan's life. I knowthis information is not needed for my improvement. But forBhagavan's history I think it is necessary."Bhagavan kept quiet and only smiled. But after a time,he said the Marital Garland was written about 1914-1915.By that Bhagavan apparently meant to tell me that the knotwas sundered long before that, about 1896 itself.AfternoonFor some days now Bhagavan's rheumatic troubles havebeen pretty bad and so his legs are being occasionallymassaged with some medicated oils. For about ten days nowthere has been in the town some Swami who professes to beable to cure with his vibhuti all kinds of diseases; and peoplefrom various villages have been flocking to see him and mostof them also peep in at the Asramam to see Bhagavan. SoBhagavan said, "If all these people come and see I have allthese physical ills myself and need to be massaged withmedicated oils, they will know I am no good and won't comeanymore. So this massaging is good in one way."