IndiaDivine.org

Translation of Hanuman Chalisa

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Friends,

With all humility and reverance to Sri Hanuman, my Guru, Guide and Philosopher, and with his blessings, I am starting this translation of the Hanuman Chalisa, to English, for the benefit of all the members of this group. (It is suggessted that you keep the original Hindia version in hand).

I have not in any manner tried to put in a meaning to any of the acts enumerated in the Chalisa, and this is just a piece of litteral translation. If I have erred anywhere in my effort, I beg pardon from Sri Hanumanji and from all my friends here.

I am submitting the first 10 stanzas today. More will follow in due course. The owner/moderator is requested to put it in the Digest on Tuesday next (23.12.08).

Naresh Mintri

SRI HANUMAN CHALISA

DOHA : Sri guru charan.......... jo dayak phal chari [1]

With the dust of Sri Guru's lotus-feet, I first cleanse the mirror of my heart; and then I (begin to) sing the sacred glories of Sri Raghuveer, the bestower of the (cherished) four fold attainments of life*.

*DHARMA- Duty/righteousness; ARTHA- Prosperity/wealth; KAAMA- Desire/yearning; MOKSHA- Final beatitude.

Buddhiheen tanu janike............ harhu kalesh vikar [2]

O Pawan Putra! knowing myself to be unenlightened and ignorant, I invoke you. Bestow on me strength, knowledge and wisdon, and ward off my miseries and evils.

Choupaai : Jai Hanuman gyan gun sagar....... tihoon lok ujagar [1]

Victory to you, O Hanuman! You are an ocean of knowledge (and of) virtues and faculties; Victory to you, O Lord of Monkeys! Your glory is ubiquitous in all the three worlds (Heaven, Earth and Pataala).

Ram doot atulit bal dhama......pawan sut naama [2]

You are the emissary of Sri Rama, and the abode of immeasurable strength. Anjali-Putra (son of Anjali) and Pawan-Suta (son of Wind) are your different names.

Mahabir bikram.......sumati ke sangi [3]

You are all powerful (Mahaveer), and irresistibly valiant; and you are strong like the thunderbolt. You dispel illusions of the mind; and befriend righteous persons.

Kanchan baran........... kunchit kesa [4]

You are adorable in (your) golden hue, elegant attire (loin-cloth), pendants (Kundala) and curly hair.

Haath bajra......... janeu saaje [5]

Banner in your hand, you wield the mace of thunderbolt. The sacred thread of Hemp (Moonja) grass adorns your shoulder.

Sankar suman............. maha jag bandan [6]

You are an incarnation of Lord Shankara (Lord Rudra), and are the son of (monkey) Kesari. The whole univere extols (the glories of) your splendour and valour.

Vidyavaan guni ................. karibe ko aatur [7]

You are omniscient, possess (all) virtues and faculties, and are exceedingly intelligent, ever at the beck and call of Lord Rama.

Prabhu charitra............... man basiya [8]

You listen to the glories of Lord Rama with ecstatic devotion. Rama, Lakshmana and Sita (constantly) dwell in your heart.

Sukhsma roop........... lank jarawa [9]

You took a tiny form and revealed it to Sita; (and) assuming a terrific form, you set ablaze (the city of) Lanka.

Bhim roop dhari............ kaaj sawaare [10]

You took a collossal form and killed the demons. (Thus), you assisted Sri Rama Chandra in (fulfilment of) His mission.

Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now