IndiaDivine.org

Yayati

Rate this topic

Guest guest

YAYATI

Narrated by: Kanai L Mukherjee (Grandpa), Edited by: Bruce Robertson Pictures reproduced with permission from Amar Chitra Katha Courtesy: Association of Grandparents of Indian Immigrants (AGII)

This story, from the Mahabharata, conveys the timeless message of self control and restraint.

Sukracharya was the preceptor of Asuras (demons). The Asura king Vrishaparva greatly respected Sukracharya as he knew the secret of Mritasanjibani, a drug that brings the dead back to life. Devayani was Sukracharya's only daughter and spoiled by her father's indulgence.

One morning, Sharmishtha, the Asura princess, daughter of Vrishaparva, came to Sukracharya's hermitage with her friends. She asked Sukracharya to allow Devayani to accompany them for a bath in a nearby lake. Sukracharya agreed. They soon reached the lake and left their clothes on the bank to go into the water. Suddenly a storm blew up and scattered their clothes. The girls hurriedly came out of the lake and got dressed. It so happened that the princess Sharmishtha, by mistake, clad herself in Devayani's clothes. Angered by this, Devayani insulted Sharmishtha, the Asura princess. Argument began and Sharmishtha pushed Devayani into a dry well and left Devayani in the well.

It so happened that Yayati, the king of a nearby state, came hunting in the forest and was looking for water to drink. When he came near the well he was surprised to find Devayani lying at the bottom. Devayani introduced herself and said that she fell into the well. She then requested the king to pull her out.

Yayati helped her out. Devayani demanded that Yayati marry her as he has held her by the right hand. Yayati was alarmed and turned down her request on the ground that he belonged to lower Khatriya (or warrior) caste, and Devayani was a Brahmin (priestly) maid. Yayati then left and Devayani continued to sit under a tree.

When she did not return, Sukracharya set out in search of her. He found Devayani under a tree, her eyes filled with tears of anger and grief. When Sukracharya inquired, Devayani told her father every thing, carefully hiding her own faults. She refused to return to the kingdom of Vrishaparva as she was badly insulted by the Asura princess, Sharmishtha. Failing to change her mind, Sukracharya returned to Vrishaparva and announced that he was leaving the Asura kingdom because of his daughter Devayani's unhappy conflict with princess Sharmishtha. Vrishaparva begged Sukracharya to stay. Sukracharya left the decision with his daughter Devayani.

Vrishaparva wasted no time and went to Devayani taking his daughter Sharmishtha along. He begged forgiveness for his daughter. Devayani agreed to return on one condition that Sharmishtha be her handmaiden for the rest of her life. Sharmishtha agreed for the sake of her father, the king. Devayani was pacified and returned to her father's hermitage. But Devayani was vindictive and humiliated Sharmishtha by asking to massage her legs and run errands.

One day, king Yayati passed that way. Devayani introduced Sharmishtha as her maid and reminded Yayati that he should marry her. Yayati repeated that he could not marry a Brahmin maid. Devayani then took Yayati to her father. Sukrachaya gave his blessing on their marriage. They were soon married and led a happy life. Devayani had two sons.

Sharmishtha continued to stay as Devayani's handmaid. Yayati made a palace for Shramishtha at the request of Devayani. One day Sharmishtha secretly met Yayati and told him what happened between her and Devayani. Yayati was sympathetic. Sharmishtha begged Yayati to take her as the second wife. Yayati agreed and married her but without the knowledge of Devayani. Sharmishtha had three sons.

One day, Devayani met the three sons of Sharmishtha. She asked the boys the name of their father. They pointed to Yayati. Devayani was shocked. She felt deceived and ran to her father's hermitage. Sukracharya was enraged and cursed Yayati with premature old age. Yayati begged for forgiveness. Sukracharya and Devayani felt sorry for him. Sukracharya then said, "I cannot take back my curse, but if any of your sons is ready to exchange his youth for your old age, you will be young again as long as you wish."

Yayati, now an old man, quickly returned to his kingdom and called for his eldest son. "My dutiful son, take my old age and give me your youth, at least for a while, until I am ready to embrace my old age." The eldest son turned down his father's request and so also the next three older brothers. Then came the youngest, Puru. He agreed and immediately turned old. Yayati rushed out as a young man to enjoy his life. After years spent in vain effort to quench his desires by indulgence, Yayati finally came into senses. He returned to Puru and said, "Dear son, sensual desire is never quenched by indulgence any more than fire is extinguished by pouring oil on it. Take back your youth and rule the kingdom wisely and well."

Yayati then returned to the forest and spent the rest of his days in austerities, meditating upon Brahman, the ultimate reality. In due course, he attained heaven.

(Dear Friends, we see here the results of insulting somebody, and also the futility of much indulgence in sensual pleasures which does bring in momentary happiness, but ultimate, certainly not - Bhaskar ).

Bhaskarji,

Another such story how insulting someone and indulging in sensual pleasures leads to arrogance and ulitmate disaster.

Pururavas was the first king of the Lunar dynasty- Chandravamsa. Ayus was his son. Ayus had four sons of whom Nahusha was the foremost. He was a very good king and he ruled his kingdom well. He had conquered the kings in all the quarters and had amassed immense wealth. He had performed many yagas and as a result he was fit enough to be Indra of the heavens. When Indra was suffering from the calumny of Brahma-hatya which was pursuing him, he had to go into hiding in the Manasa lake. During that period the devas approached Nahusha and asked him to officiate as Indra till such time as was possible for Indra to be rid of the Brahma-hatya. “ Tadastu”, said Nahusha and went to the heavens after appointing his son, Yayati, as

king.

In course of time, Nahusha became arrogant. The wealth he had amassed, the power he had over the entire world, the fact that he had performed several yagas and. Last of all, the decision of the devas that he should be made Indra, made Nahusha proud and arrogant. Nahusha was a great king but now he was afflicted by pride born of the sense of supreme power. He lost his humility and became filled with lawless desires. Nahusha indulged freely in the pleasures of heavens and gave himself unto untamed and lecherous thoughts. One day, he saw Sachi Devi, Indra’s wife, and became enamoured of her. Possessed by evil thoughts, he spoke in tones of commands, to the assembled devas, “ Why has Sachi Devi, the wife of the king of the devas, not come to me? Am I

not the king of the devas now? Send her to my house soon.”

When she learnt this, Sachi Devi was indignant. In fear and distress, she went to Brihaspati, the preceptor of the devas, and sought his help. Brihaspati offered her protection and allowed her to stay in his house till her husband came back. When he came to know that Sachi Devi did not agree to fall in line with his wishes and that she had sought and obtained shelter under Brihaspati’s roof, Nahusha became exceedingly angry. The devas tried to advise him but he would not listen to them. They all went to Brihaspati and sought his advice. The devaguru indicated a way of escape for Sachi Devi from her difficult situation.

Sachi Devi took the hint and bravely went to the place of Nahusha. As soon as Nahusha saw her, he was beside himself with joy. Sachi Devi pretended to agree to become his wife and said, “Yes. You will be my husband. I want you to do something which I very much desire. It is my wish that you should come majestically to my house in a grander style than the great Lord Narayana or Lord Mahadeva. Let the palanquin be borne by the Sapatarishis, the seven great rishis. I shall then be glad to receive you and bid you welcome.” Nahusha fell into the trap. After sending her home, Nahusha called the sages and bade them carry him on their shoulders. At this sacrilege, the three worlds were aghast and trembled. But worse was

to come as the palanquin was carried along. Inflamed by the thoughts of the beautiful Sachi Devi waiting for him, Nahusha was impatient to reach her soon. So he began goading the sage-bearers of the palanquin to go faster and he went so far in his mad wickedness as to kick the short-built Agastya, the great sage, one of the bearers, saying, “ Sarpa, sarpa”. (‘Sarpa’ means ‘to move fast’ but sarpa is also serpent). The insanity of the lust and arrogance reached its culmination. “ Meanest of the mean, do thou fall from heavens and become a sarpa on the earth,” cursed Agastya in his wrath.

As soon as he was cursed, the king was cleansed of his pride and conceit and with great humility he said, “ O great sage, it is but right that you should curse me who has insulted you. I deserve worse punishment. In your goodness of heart you have minimised it. Please have mercy on me and tell me how long I am to be on the earth and how my curse will be lifted. Great men give us these poisons to cure us of dreadful feelings which are unbecoming to us. But they will also have antidotes which will remove the poison once its work is done.”

Agastya was really sorry for Nahusha. The anger of a great man is short-lived. He said, “ Nahusha, the curse cannot be recalled. But you will be rid of the form of a python and come back to the heavens during the Dwapara Yuga. In your line will be born a great man by name Yudhishtira and he will be an amsha of Dharmadeva. He will release you from your curse. Your memory will be clear. You will capture his brother Bhima and when Yudhishtira comes to you and asks you to release his brother you will ask him questions about Dharma which Yudhishtira will answer. After that you will shed the skin of a python and come back to the heavens.”

--- On Sat, 1/31/09, Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish wrote:

Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish Yayati Date: Saturday, January 31, 2009, 4:02 PM

YAYATI

Narrated by: Kanai L Mukherjee (Grandpa), Edited by: Bruce Robertson Pictures reproduced with permission from Amar Chitra Katha Courtesy: Association of Grandparents of Indian Immigrants (AGII)

This story, from the Mahabharata, conveys the timeless message of self control and restraint.

Sukracharya was the preceptor of Asuras (demons). The Asura king Vrishaparva greatly respected Sukracharya as he knew the secret of Mritasanjibani, a drug that brings the dead back to life. Devayani was Sukracharya' s only daughter and spoiled by her father's indulgence.

One morning, Sharmishtha, the Asura princess, daughter of Vrishaparva, came to Sukracharya' s hermitage with her friends. She asked Sukracharya to allow Devayani to accompany them for a bath in a nearby lake. Sukracharya agreed. They soon reached the lake and left their clothes on the bank to go into the water. Suddenly a storm blew up and scattered their clothes. The girls hurriedly came out of the lake and got dressed. It so happened that the princess Sharmishtha, by mistake, clad herself in Devayani's clothes. Angered by this, Devayani insulted Sharmishtha, the Asura princess. Argument began and Sharmishtha pushed Devayani into a dry well and left Devayani in the well.

It so happened that Yayati, the king of a nearby state, came hunting in the forest and was looking for water to drink. When he came near the well he was surprised to find Devayani lying at the bottom. Devayani introduced herself and said that she fell into the well. She then requested the king to pull her out.

Yayati helped her out. Devayani demanded that Yayati marry her as he has held her by the right hand. Yayati was alarmed and turned down her request on the ground that he belonged to lower Khatriya (or warrior) caste, and Devayani was a Brahmin (priestly) maid. Yayati then left and Devayani continued to sit under a tree.

When she did not return, Sukracharya set out in search of her. He found Devayani under a tree, her eyes filled with tears of anger and grief. When Sukracharya inquired, Devayani told her father every thing, carefully hiding her own faults. She refused to return to the kingdom of Vrishaparva as she was badly insulted by the Asura princess, Sharmishtha. Failing to change her mind, Sukracharya returned to Vrishaparva and announced that he was leaving the Asura kingdom because of his daughter Devayani's unhappy conflict with princess Sharmishtha. Vrishaparva begged Sukracharya to stay. Sukracharya left the decision with his daughter Devayani.

Vrishaparva wasted no time and went to Devayani taking his daughter Sharmishtha along. He begged forgiveness for his daughter. Devayani agreed to return on one condition that Sharmishtha be her handmaiden for the rest of her life. Sharmishtha agreed for the sake of her father, the king. Devayani was pacified and returned to her father's hermitage. But Devayani was vindictive and humiliated Sharmishtha by asking to massage her legs and run errands.

One day, king Yayati passed that way. Devayani introduced Sharmishtha as her maid and reminded Yayati that he should marry her. Yayati repeated that he could not marry a Brahmin maid. Devayani then took Yayati to her father. Sukrachaya gave his blessing on their marriage. They were soon married and led a happy life. Devayani had two sons.

Sharmishtha continued to stay as Devayani's handmaid. Yayati made a palace for Shramishtha at the request of Devayani. One day Sharmishtha secretly met Yayati and told him what happened between her and Devayani. Yayati was sympathetic. Sharmishtha begged Yayati to take her as the second wife. Yayati agreed and married her but without the knowledge of Devayani. Sharmishtha had three sons.

One day, Devayani met the three sons of Sharmishtha. She asked the boys the name of their father. They pointed to Yayati. Devayani was shocked. She felt deceived and ran to her father's hermitage. Sukracharya was enraged and cursed Yayati with premature old age. Yayati begged for forgiveness. Sukracharya and Devayani felt sorry for him. Sukracharya then said, "I cannot take back my curse, but if any of your sons is ready to exchange his youth for your old age, you will be young again as long as you wish."

Yayati, now an old man, quickly returned to his kingdom and called for his eldest son. "My dutiful son, take my old age and give me your youth, at least for a while, until I am ready to embrace my old age." The eldest son turned down his father's request and so also the next three older brothers. Then came the youngest, Puru. He agreed and immediately turned old. Yayati rushed out as a young man to enjoy his life. After years spent in vain effort to quench his desires by indulgence, Yayati finally came into senses. He returned to Puru and said, "Dear son, sensual desire is never quenched by indulgence any more than fire is extinguished by pouring oil on it. Take back your youth and rule the kingdom wisely and well."

Yayati then returned to the forest and spent the rest of his days in austerities, meditating upon Brahman, the ultimate reality. In due course, he attained heaven.

(Dear Friends, we see here the results of insulting somebody, and also the futility of much indulgence in sensual pleasures which does bring in momentary happiness, but ultimate, certainly not - Bhaskar ).

Kumar Bhai,

Good story. I always enjoy stories. But after reading this, am yearning

for more. Who was this python during Yudhistaras time ? When did this

prasanga come ? All I remember is one Yaksha devata capturing all the

brothers who had come to drink water from the thirsty pool etc.

But do not bother if you cannot find the rest of the story. It does not

matter. i did enjoy this part.

regards/Bhaskar.

, S kumar <kumar_8134 wrote:

>

> Bhaskarji,

>

> Another such story how insulting someone and indulging in sensual

pleasures leads to arrogance and ulitmate disaster.

>

>

> Pururavas was the first king of the Lunar dynasty- Chandravamsa. Ayus

was his son. Ayus had four sons of whom Nahusha was the foremost. He was

a very good king and he ruled his kingdom well. He had conquered the

kings in all the quarters and had amassed immense wealth. He had

performed many yagas and as a result he was fit enough to be Indra of

the heavens. When Indra was suffering from the calumny of Brahma-hatya

which was pursuing him, he had to go into hiding in the Manasa lake.

During that period the devas approached Nahusha and asked him to

officiate as Indra till such time as was possible for Indra to be rid of

the Brahma-hatya. " Tadastu " , said Nahusha and went to the

heavens after appointing his son, Yayati, as king.

>

> In course of time, Nahusha became arrogant. The wealth he had amassed,

the power he had over the entire world, the fact that he had performed

several yagas and. Last of all, the decision of the devas that he should

be made Indra, made Nahusha proud and arrogant. Nahusha was a great king

but now he was afflicted by pride born of the sense of supreme power. He

lost his humility and became filled with lawless desires. Nahusha

indulged freely in the pleasures of heavens and gave himself unto

untamed and lecherous thoughts. One day, he saw Sachi Devi, Indra's

wife, and became enamoured of her. Possessed by evil thoughts, he spoke

in tones of commands, to the assembled devas, " Why has Sachi Devi,

the wife of the king of the devas, not come to me? Am I not the king of

the devas now? Send her to my house soon. "

>

> When she learnt this, Sachi Devi was indignant. In fear and distress,

she went to Brihaspati, the preceptor of the devas, and sought his help.

Brihaspati offered her protection and allowed her to stay in his house

till her husband came back. When he came to know that Sachi Devi did not

agree to fall in line with his wishes and that she had sought and

obtained shelter under Brihaspati's roof, Nahusha became exceedingly

angry. The devas tried to advise him but he would not listen to them.

They all went to Brihaspati and sought his advice. The devaguru

indicated a way of escape for Sachi Devi from her difficult situation.

>

> Sachi Devi took the hint and bravely went to the place of Nahusha. As

soon as Nahusha saw her, he was beside himself with joy. Sachi Devi

pretended to agree to become his wife and said, " Yes. You will be my

husband. I want you to do something which I very much desire. It is my

wish that you should come majestically to my house in a grander style

than the great Lord Narayana or Lord Mahadeva. Let the palanquin be

borne by the Sapatarishis, the seven great rishis. I shall then be glad

to receive you and bid you welcome. " Nahusha fell into the trap.

After sending her home, Nahusha called the sages and bade them carry him

on their shoulders. At this sacrilege, the three worlds were aghast and

trembled. But worse was to come as the palanquin was carried along.

Inflamed by the thoughts of the beautiful Sachi Devi waiting for him,

Nahusha was impatient to reach her soon. So he began goading the

sage-bearers of the palanquin to go faster and he went so far

> in his mad wickedness as to kick the short-built Agastya, the great

sage, one of the bearers, saying, " Sarpa, sarpa " .

(`Sarpa' means `to move fast' but sarpa is also

serpent). The insanity of the lust and arrogance reached its

culmination. " Meanest of the mean, do thou fall from heavens and

become a sarpa on the earth, " cursed Agastya in his wrath.

>

> As soon as he was cursed, the king was cleansed of his pride and

conceit and with great humility he said, " O great sage, it is but

right that you should curse me who has insulted you. I deserve worse

punishment. In your goodness of heart you have minimised it. Please have

mercy on me and tell me how long I am to be on the earth and how my

curse will be lifted. Great men give us these poisons to cure us of

dreadful feelings which are unbecoming to us. But they will also have

antidotes which will remove the poison once its work is done. "

>

> Agastya was really sorry for Nahusha. The anger of a great man is

short-lived. He said, " Nahusha, the curse cannot be recalled. But

you will be rid of the form of a python and come back to the heavens

during the Dwapara Yuga. In your line will be born a great man by name

Yudhishtira and he will be an amsha of Dharmadeva. He will release you

from your curse. Your memory will be clear. You will capture his brother

Bhima and when Yudhishtira comes to you and asks you to release his

brother you will ask him questions about Dharma which Yudhishtira will

answer. After that you will shed the skin of a python and come back to

the heavens. "

>

>

> --- On Sat, 1/31/09, Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish wrote:

>

> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish

> Yayati

>

> Saturday, January 31, 2009, 4:02 PM

>

YAYATI

> Narrated by: Kanai L Mukherjee (Grandpa), Edited by: Bruce Robertson

> Pictures reproduced with permission from Amar Chitra Katha

> Courtesy: Association of Grandparents of Indian Immigrants (AGII)

>

>

>

> This story, from the Mahabharata, conveys the timeless message of self

control and restraint.

> Sukracharya was the preceptor of Asuras (demons). The Asura king

Vrishaparva greatly respected Sukracharya as he knew the secret of

Mritasanjibani, a drug that brings the dead back to life. Devayani was

Sukracharya' s only daughter and spoiled by her father's indulgence.

> One morning, Sharmishtha, the Asura princess, daughter of Vrishaparva,

came to Sukracharya' s hermitage with her friends. She asked Sukracharya

to allow Devayani to accompany them for a bath in a nearby lake.

Sukracharya agreed. They soon reached the lake and left their clothes on

the bank to go into the water. Suddenly a storm blew up and scattered

their clothes. The girls hurriedly came out of the lake and got dressed.

It so happened that the princess Sharmishtha, by mistake, clad herself

in Devayani's clothes. Angered by this, Devayani insulted Sharmishtha,

the Asura princess. Argument began and Sharmishtha pushed Devayani into

a dry well and left Devayani in the well.

> It so happened that Yayati, the king of a nearby state, came hunting

in the forest and was looking for water to drink. When he came near the

well he was surprised to find Devayani lying at the bottom. Devayani

introduced herself and said that she fell into the well. She then

requested the king to pull her out.

>

> Yayati helped her out. Devayani demanded that Yayati marry her as he

has held her by the right hand. Yayati was alarmed and turned down her

request on the ground that he belonged to lower Khatriya (or warrior)

caste, and Devayani was a Brahmin (priestly) maid. Yayati then left and

Devayani continued to sit under a tree.

> When she did not return, Sukracharya set out in search of her. He

found Devayani under a tree, her eyes filled with tears of anger and

grief. When Sukracharya inquired, Devayani told her father every thing,

carefully hiding her own faults. She refused to return to the kingdom of

Vrishaparva as she was badly insulted by the Asura princess,

Sharmishtha. Failing to change her mind, Sukracharya returned to

Vrishaparva and announced that he was leaving the Asura kingdom because

of his daughter Devayani's unhappy conflict with princess Sharmishtha.

Vrishaparva begged Sukracharya to stay. Sukracharya left the decision

with his daughter Devayani.

> Vrishaparva wasted no time and went to Devayani taking his daughter

Sharmishtha along. He begged forgiveness for his daughter. Devayani

agreed to return on one condition that Sharmishtha be her handmaiden for

the rest of her life. Sharmishtha agreed for the sake of her father, the

king. Devayani was pacified and returned to her father's hermitage. But

Devayani was vindictive and humiliated Sharmishtha by asking to massage

her legs and run errands.

> One day, king Yayati passed that way. Devayani introduced Sharmishtha

as her maid and reminded Yayati that he should marry her. Yayati

repeated that he could not marry a Brahmin maid. Devayani then took

Yayati to her father. Sukrachaya gave his blessing on their marriage.

They were soon married and led a happy life. Devayani had two sons.

>

> Sharmishtha continued to stay as Devayani's handmaid. Yayati made a

palace for Shramishtha at the request of Devayani. One day Sharmishtha

secretly met Yayati and told him what happened between her and Devayani.

Yayati was sympathetic. Sharmishtha begged Yayati to take her as the

second wife. Yayati agreed and married her but without the knowledge of

Devayani. Sharmishtha had three sons.

> One day, Devayani met the three sons of Sharmishtha. She asked the

boys the name of their father. They pointed to Yayati. Devayani was

shocked. She felt deceived and ran to her father's hermitage.

Sukracharya was enraged and cursed Yayati with premature old age. Yayati

begged for forgiveness. Sukracharya and Devayani felt sorry for him.

Sukracharya then said, " I cannot take back my curse, but if any of your

sons is ready to exchange his youth for your old age, you will be young

again as long as you wish. "

> Yayati, now an old man, quickly returned to his kingdom and called for

his eldest son. " My dutiful son, take my old age and give me your youth,

at least for a while, until I am ready to embrace my old age. " The

eldest son turned down his father's request and so also the next three

older brothers. Then came the youngest, Puru. He agreed and immediately

turned old. Yayati rushed out as a young man to enjoy his life. After

years spent in vain effort to quench his desires by indulgence, Yayati

finally came into senses. He returned to Puru and said, " Dear son,

sensual desire is never quenched by indulgence any more than fire is

extinguished by pouring oil on it. Take back your youth and rule the

kingdom wisely and well. "

> Yayati then returned to the forest and spent the rest of his days in

austerities, meditating upon Brahman, the ultimate reality. In due

course, he attained heaven.

> (Dear Friends, we see here the results of insulting somebody, and also

the futility of much indulgence in sensual pleasures which does bring in

momentary happiness, but ultimate, certainly not - Bhaskar ).

>

Please read -

// All I remember is one Yaksha devata capturing all the

> brothers who had come to drink water from the thirsty pool etc.//

as

// All I remember is one Yaksha Devata capturing all the brothers one by

one who had come to the pool to drink water out of thirst and

would/could not reply the questions put by the Yaksha, and finally

Yudhistara replied .//

, " Bhaskar " <bhaskar_jyotish

wrote:

>

>

> Kumar Bhai,

>

> Good story. I always enjoy stories. But after reading this, am

yearning

> for more. Who was this python during Yudhistaras time ? When did this

> prasanga come ? All I remember is one Yaksha devata capturing all the

> brothers who had come to drink water from the thirsty pool etc.

>

> But do not bother if you cannot find the rest of the story. It does

not

> matter. i did enjoy this part.

>

> regards/Bhaskar.

>

>

, S kumar kumar_8134@ wrote:

> >

> > Bhaskarji,

> >

> > Another such story how insulting someone and indulging in sensual

> pleasures leads to arrogance and ulitmate disaster.

> >

> >

> > Pururavas was the first king of the Lunar dynasty- Chandravamsa.

Ayus

> was his son. Ayus had four sons of whom Nahusha was the foremost. He

was

> a very good king and he ruled his kingdom well. He had conquered the

> kings in all the quarters and had amassed immense wealth. He had

> performed many yagas and as a result he was fit enough to be Indra of

> the heavens. When Indra was suffering from the calumny of Brahma-hatya

> which was pursuing him, he had to go into hiding in the Manasa lake.

> During that period the devas approached Nahusha and asked him to

> officiate as Indra till such time as was possible for Indra to be rid

of

> the Brahma-hatya. " Tadastu " , said Nahusha and went to the

> heavens after appointing his son, Yayati, as king.

> >

> > In course of time, Nahusha became arrogant. The wealth he had

amassed,

> the power he had over the entire world, the fact that he had performed

> several yagas and. Last of all, the decision of the devas that he

should

> be made Indra, made Nahusha proud and arrogant. Nahusha was a great

king

> but now he was afflicted by pride born of the sense of supreme power.

He

> lost his humility and became filled with lawless desires. Nahusha

> indulged freely in the pleasures of heavens and gave himself unto

> untamed and lecherous thoughts. One day, he saw Sachi Devi, Indra's

> wife, and became enamoured of her. Possessed by evil thoughts, he

spoke

> in tones of commands, to the assembled devas, " Why has Sachi Devi,

> the wife of the king of the devas, not come to me? Am I not the king

of

> the devas now? Send her to my house soon. "

> >

> > When she learnt this, Sachi Devi was indignant. In fear and

distress,

> she went to Brihaspati, the preceptor of the devas, and sought his

help.

> Brihaspati offered her protection and allowed her to stay in his house

> till her husband came back. When he came to know that Sachi Devi did

not

> agree to fall in line with his wishes and that she had sought and

> obtained shelter under Brihaspati's roof, Nahusha became exceedingly

> angry. The devas tried to advise him but he would not listen to them.

> They all went to Brihaspati and sought his advice. The devaguru

> indicated a way of escape for Sachi Devi from her difficult situation.

> >

> > Sachi Devi took the hint and bravely went to the place of Nahusha.

As

> soon as Nahusha saw her, he was beside himself with joy. Sachi Devi

> pretended to agree to become his wife and said, " Yes. You will be my

> husband. I want you to do something which I very much desire. It is my

> wish that you should come majestically to my house in a grander style

> than the great Lord Narayana or Lord Mahadeva. Let the palanquin be

> borne by the Sapatarishis, the seven great rishis. I shall then be

glad

> to receive you and bid you welcome. " Nahusha fell into the trap.

> After sending her home, Nahusha called the sages and bade them carry

him

> on their shoulders. At this sacrilege, the three worlds were aghast

and

> trembled. But worse was to come as the palanquin was carried along.

> Inflamed by the thoughts of the beautiful Sachi Devi waiting for him,

> Nahusha was impatient to reach her soon. So he began goading the

> sage-bearers of the palanquin to go faster and he went so far

> > in his mad wickedness as to kick the short-built Agastya, the great

> sage, one of the bearers, saying, " Sarpa, sarpa " .

> (`Sarpa' means `to move fast' but sarpa is also

> serpent). The insanity of the lust and arrogance reached its

> culmination. " Meanest of the mean, do thou fall from heavens and

> become a sarpa on the earth, " cursed Agastya in his wrath.

> >

> > As soon as he was cursed, the king was cleansed of his pride and

> conceit and with great humility he said, " O great sage, it is but

> right that you should curse me who has insulted you. I deserve worse

> punishment. In your goodness of heart you have minimised it. Please

have

> mercy on me and tell me how long I am to be on the earth and how my

> curse will be lifted. Great men give us these poisons to cure us of

> dreadful feelings which are unbecoming to us. But they will also have

> antidotes which will remove the poison once its work is done. "

> >

> > Agastya was really sorry for Nahusha. The anger of a great man is

> short-lived. He said, " Nahusha, the curse cannot be recalled. But

> you will be rid of the form of a python and come back to the heavens

> during the Dwapara Yuga. In your line will be born a great man by name

> Yudhishtira and he will be an amsha of Dharmadeva. He will release you

> from your curse. Your memory will be clear. You will capture his

brother

> Bhima and when Yudhishtira comes to you and asks you to release his

> brother you will ask him questions about Dharma which Yudhishtira will

> answer. After that you will shed the skin of a python and come back to

> the heavens. "

> >

> >

> > --- On Sat, 1/31/09, Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ wrote:

> >

> > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@

> > Yayati

> >

> > Saturday, January 31, 2009, 4:02 PM

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > YAYATI

> > Narrated by: Kanai L Mukherjee (Grandpa), Edited by: Bruce Robertson

> > Pictures reproduced with permission from Amar Chitra Katha

> > Courtesy: Association of Grandparents of Indian Immigrants (AGII)

> >

> >

> >

> > This story, from the Mahabharata, conveys the timeless message of

self

> control and restraint.

> > Sukracharya was the preceptor of Asuras (demons). The Asura king

> Vrishaparva greatly respected Sukracharya as he knew the secret of

> Mritasanjibani, a drug that brings the dead back to life. Devayani was

> Sukracharya' s only daughter and spoiled by her father's indulgence.

> > One morning, Sharmishtha, the Asura princess, daughter of

Vrishaparva,

> came to Sukracharya' s hermitage with her friends. She asked

Sukracharya

> to allow Devayani to accompany them for a bath in a nearby lake.

> Sukracharya agreed. They soon reached the lake and left their clothes

on

> the bank to go into the water. Suddenly a storm blew up and scattered

> their clothes. The girls hurriedly came out of the lake and got

dressed.

> It so happened that the princess Sharmishtha, by mistake, clad herself

> in Devayani's clothes. Angered by this, Devayani insulted Sharmishtha,

> the Asura princess. Argument began and Sharmishtha pushed Devayani

into

> a dry well and left Devayani in the well.

> > It so happened that Yayati, the king of a nearby state, came hunting

> in the forest and was looking for water to drink. When he came near

the

> well he was surprised to find Devayani lying at the bottom. Devayani

> introduced herself and said that she fell into the well. She then

> requested the king to pull her out.

> >

> > Yayati helped her out. Devayani demanded that Yayati marry her as he

> has held her by the right hand. Yayati was alarmed and turned down her

> request on the ground that he belonged to lower Khatriya (or warrior)

> caste, and Devayani was a Brahmin (priestly) maid. Yayati then left

and

> Devayani continued to sit under a tree.

> > When she did not return, Sukracharya set out in search of her. He

> found Devayani under a tree, her eyes filled with tears of anger and

> grief. When Sukracharya inquired, Devayani told her father every

thing,

> carefully hiding her own faults. She refused to return to the kingdom

of

> Vrishaparva as she was badly insulted by the Asura princess,

> Sharmishtha. Failing to change her mind, Sukracharya returned to

> Vrishaparva and announced that he was leaving the Asura kingdom

because

> of his daughter Devayani's unhappy conflict with princess Sharmishtha.

> Vrishaparva begged Sukracharya to stay. Sukracharya left the decision

> with his daughter Devayani.

> > Vrishaparva wasted no time and went to Devayani taking his daughter

> Sharmishtha along. He begged forgiveness for his daughter. Devayani

> agreed to return on one condition that Sharmishtha be her handmaiden

for

> the rest of her life. Sharmishtha agreed for the sake of her father,

the

> king. Devayani was pacified and returned to her father's hermitage.

But

> Devayani was vindictive and humiliated Sharmishtha by asking to

massage

> her legs and run errands.

> > One day, king Yayati passed that way. Devayani introduced

Sharmishtha

> as her maid and reminded Yayati that he should marry her. Yayati

> repeated that he could not marry a Brahmin maid. Devayani then took

> Yayati to her father. Sukrachaya gave his blessing on their marriage.

> They were soon married and led a happy life. Devayani had two sons.

> >

> > Sharmishtha continued to stay as Devayani's handmaid. Yayati made a

> palace for Shramishtha at the request of Devayani. One day Sharmishtha

> secretly met Yayati and told him what happened between her and

Devayani.

> Yayati was sympathetic. Sharmishtha begged Yayati to take her as the

> second wife. Yayati agreed and married her but without the knowledge

of

> Devayani. Sharmishtha had three sons.

> > One day, Devayani met the three sons of Sharmishtha. She asked the

> boys the name of their father. They pointed to Yayati. Devayani was

> shocked. She felt deceived and ran to her father's hermitage.

> Sukracharya was enraged and cursed Yayati with premature old age.

Yayati

> begged for forgiveness. Sukracharya and Devayani felt sorry for him.

> Sukracharya then said, " I cannot take back my curse, but if any of

your

> sons is ready to exchange his youth for your old age, you will be

young

> again as long as you wish. "

> > Yayati, now an old man, quickly returned to his kingdom and called

for

> his eldest son. " My dutiful son, take my old age and give me your

youth,

> at least for a while, until I am ready to embrace my old age. " The

> eldest son turned down his father's request and so also the next three

> older brothers. Then came the youngest, Puru. He agreed and

immediately

> turned old. Yayati rushed out as a young man to enjoy his life. After

> years spent in vain effort to quench his desires by indulgence, Yayati

> finally came into senses. He returned to Puru and said, " Dear son,

> sensual desire is never quenched by indulgence any more than fire is

> extinguished by pouring oil on it. Take back your youth and rule the

> kingdom wisely and well. "

> > Yayati then returned to the forest and spent the rest of his days in

> austerities, meditating upon Brahman, the ultimate reality. In due

> course, he attained heaven.

> > (Dear Friends, we see here the results of insulting somebody, and

also

> the futility of much indulgence in sensual pleasures which does bring

in

> momentary happiness, but ultimate, certainly not - Bhaskar ).

> >

>

Dear Bhaskar Ji

Jaya Siyaa Raam

This story comes when Paandav were spending their time in Van. After

Bheem had met Hanumaan, and after Arjun had returned from SWarg after

taking DIvine weapons from Indra, once Bheem goes for hunting and

there he meets one python.

He had never seen such a python before. It grabbed him before he

could realize the danger from him. Bheem's all strength was gone. He

asked him with a great difficulty - " Who are you? I am Bheem, one of

the Paandav, the younger brother of Yudhishthir. I have been able to

tackle many powerful tigers and elephants but your strength amazes

me. What is this kind of strength you have. " The python said - " I am

very hungry. You came at the right moment. And who I am, it is a long

story. I am a great king but because of a Shaap I am on this Earth in

this form. I am waiting for my release. "

Then he told his story. " I am Raajaa Nahush. I was mad with power. In

my arrogance I insulted Muni Agastya. He gave me Shaap to stay on

Earth in the form of a python. He threw me down from Heavens and I

have been here for a long time I know not. He said " In course of time

Yudhishthir of Lunar family will be your savior. I have lost my old

memory. I remember only this that he said, " This king will be able to

answer your all questions on ethics, and he will come when I will

have caught the strongest man on the Earth. You are perhaps the

strongest man on the earth. So I guess that my time to be released

from this Shaap is near now. "

Yudhishthir saw several ill omens, so he asked " Where is Bheem? "

Draupadee said " He has gone for hunting, it is long time now. "

Yudhishthir got worried so he followed him through his footsteps. He

came to the place where the python had caught Bheem in his coils.

Yudhishthir heart almost stopped beating. Gathering courage he asked

Bheem as how did it happen like this? Bheem told him everything. Then

Yudhishthir asked python - " I don't know who you are, I can see only

your strength. I am the elder brother of my brother, Yudhishthir.

Please tell me what food you want, I will bring you anything you

like, but release my brother, he is very dear to me. "

Nahush said - " I am Raajaa Nahush. " Hearing this Yudhishthir

prostrated before him. He was familiar with his ancestor's name. He

was inmate of the abode of Indra. And now he was seeing him in the

form of a python. He could not believe his eyes. Then Nahush told his

whole story, about Agastya Muni's Shaap and his promise that

Yudhishthir will release him with that Shaap. " So Nahush said - " Now

my life is in your hands. If you will answer my all questions on

ethics, I will release your brother, and I will be free from this

Shaap. "

Yudhishthir said - " I will try to answer all your questions as best

as I can. " He prayed his father to stable his mind and said " I am

ready. " Nahush's first question was - " What is the definition of

Braahman? " Yudhishthir said - " A Braahaman is the one who has these

qualities: truthfulness, generosity, sympathy, dislike for cruelty

and a capacity to do Tap. He is a Braahman and no one else. "

That is the story of Nahush as a python.

With due regards

Sushma

, " Bhaskar " <bhaskar_jyotish

wrote:

>

>

> Please read -

>

> // All I remember is one Yaksha devata capturing all the

> > brothers who had come to drink water from the thirsty pool etc.//

>

> as