IndiaDivine.org

Maheshwaris - A Real Story.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear friends,

The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia about Maheshwaris. I am a Maheshwari and am glad to bring to you the story of our existence and why we came to be called so.(Of course to those who may be interested).

regards/Bhaskar.

Maheshwari is the clan title of a Vaishnava business community originating from Khandela, Rajasthan in western India. Their origin in Marwar province places them as Marwaris, part of the Vaishya varna.

Origin

The mythical story traces back to a Rajput king, Raja Khandelsen, the ruler of Khandela in Rajasthan[1][2], and his two queens, Rani Suryakuvar and Indrakuvar. The king did not have any children, hence, no one to carry his name or kingdom, and despite performing numerous pujas (prayers), yagnas (fire ceremony) and charitable contributions, the queens were unable to conceive. After sharing his sorrows with Maharishi Yagyavalk, he learned that his circumstances were due to being cursed in a previous life.

Maharishi explained to the king "In your previous life, you earned your living through killing and selling of animal flesh. Once you aimed your bow and arrow at a pregnant deer and killed her. As she died in pain, she placed a curse upon you saying, 'You shall be childless!' However, you felt guilty from this act, and went to Pushkar where you took a bath in the pious pond, to wash off your sins. This religious act helped you become a king in this life. To recover from this past curse, there is one solution that I shall explain to you. Not too far from here in Bhashkar state is a Pipal tree, under which a Shivling (see Lingam) is buried. You should get this Shivling out and make a beautiful temple for Lord Shiva, in which this Shivling must be embellished with respect and devotion." The king did exactly as he was told, in addition he recited the "Om, Namah Sivaya" shloka (a prayer; set of holy words) for two years. This pious and religious act pleased Lord Shiva who in turn blessed the king with a son, who was named Sujansen.

After prince Sujansen's birth, the spiritual advisor made his Kundali (horoscope), to chart out his graha and nakshatra. He shared the graha position findings with King Khandelsen and said "Your son will be handsome, masculine, and powerful; however due to an unforeseen incident he will suffer from sorrow for a short while, but that will eventually result in a happy ending."

Prince Sujansen was married to princess Chadravati, daughter of King Yudhaveer. After their marriage, King Khandelsen handed over the kingdom to his son Sujansen, and moved to the forest for his retirement. One day King Sujansen went into the forest to hunt with his 72 soldiers as part of his routine. As the King and his soldiers were hunting, they got lost and became hungry. Soon, they sensed an aroma, as if someone was cooking good food, and they followed this aroma and reached a place where six rishis were performing a yagna for Lord Shiva. Due to extreme hunger, the king and soldiers started eating prasad, drinking water from the nearby pond that was reserved for the yagna puja, and also started washing their stained bows and arrows in it. This broke the rishis' concentration, and they cursed the king and his 72 soldiers to turn into stones.

Back in the kingdom, the queen and the wives of the 72 soldiers waited for months for their husbands' return. Finally Queen Chandravati went to see Maharishi Jabali. Rishi Jabali explained the situation in its entirety and suggested that she and the wives of the soldiers should go to the temple near the pond and pray to Lord Shiva for their husbands' lives.

At this time, in Kailashparvath, in the Himalayas Lord Shiva and his beautiful wife Parvati were residing. Lord Shiva told Parvati that he needs to visit Earth, some of his worshipers were performing yagna and he needs go and show his satisfaction towards the successful completion of the yagna. Parvati loved her husband dearly, and did not like to part from her husband. This time Parvati insisted to go with Shiva to Earth. Lord Shiva said to Parvati, "Dear, you are very kind hearted, you will not be able to bear the pains of the people living on Earth. As always, you will ask me to take away all of their sorrows, so it is better you stay here till my return to Kailashparvath." But Parvati insisted and said, "No, I must go with you." After a while, Lord Shiva said, "As you wish!" and they both started their journey to Earth where the rishis were performing the yagna.

As Lord Shiva and Parvati reached the site, Parvati saw the queen and all the soldiers' wives crying for their husbands' stone figures. Lord Shiva explained the situation to Parvati. Parvati immediately said to Lord Shiva, "You must give these men another life, because when I can not live without you even for a fraction of a second; how can you expect me to leave this place while these wives are so sorrowful in life without their husbands?" Lord Shiva said "This is what I was afraid of when you decided to join me for this journey; in any case I must do so."

72 Maheshwari Khanps (Sub Clans)

Lord Shiva brought the king and the 72 soldiers back to life, and told king Sujansen, "As you have performed sinful activities, taking away lives of God's creatures, and have misused your power, you have suffered from this incident. From now on, since I am granting all of you a second life, you will be known after my name as 'Mahesh-waris.' You will also stop your role of Kshatriya and become Vaishya, practicing the role of Vaishya Dharam, which is a role of non-violence. Sujansen, to compensate for your violent tendency, from now on you will make a living through donations from your 72 Vaishaya brothers and perform the task of documenting their family trees."

At once, all came to life as if they were awakened from a long sleep. However, they were hesitant to accept their wives, since the wives still belonged to the Kshatriya caste. At this point, Parvati Mata said, "Every couple shall take four parikramas (an act of circling around a God or Goddess in the temple) around me; their gathbandhan (a long scarf used to tie bride and grooms cloth ends together) will be joined automatically." At this, everyone did so, and they re-joined as husbands and wives. This is the reason why four feras (parikramas, in the cernacular also known as "Mama pheras") (see saptapadi) are done outside at Maheshwari weddings, as a reminder of our origin. Lord Shiva gave this blessing to the new 72 Vaishyas on the ninth day of Jyesth, Shukla Paksh in the year nine of Yudhisthira Sanvat. On this day, newlywed brides and grooms are appointed to pray to Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati so that they can also be blessed with children and eternally live a happy and joyous life.

While the 72 soldiers were bathing in the pond, their bows and arrows were melted, and after this the pond was named "Loh-Gal". Due to the incident in this story, new 72 Maheshwari khanp last names were created. After this, additional five Kshatriya last names were also added to the original 72 last names. Some of the Maheshwari Khapen are shown below:

Agiwal, Agsoor, Ajmera, Asawa, Atal, Badali, Bahety, Bagri, Bajaj, Baldeva, Bandar, Bang, Bangad, Bangar, Bhaiya, Bhandari, Bhansali, Bhattad, Bhattani, Bhutra, Bhutada, Bhuradia, Bidada, Bihani, Biyani, Birla, Bang, Chandak, Chaukhara, Chechani, Chhaparwal, Chitlangia,Dalya, Daliya Dad, Daga, Damani, Dangra, Darak, Dargar, Devapura, Dhoopar, Dhoot, Dudhani, Falod, Gadiya, Gattani, Gandhi, Gilda, Godani, Heda, Hurkat, Inani, Jajoo, Jakhotiya, Jhanwar, Kabra, Kachauliya, Kahlya, Kalani, Kalantri, Kankani, Karmani,Karwa, Kasat, Khatod, Kothari, Laddha, Lahoti, Lakhotia, Lohia, Malani, Mall, Malpani, Malu, Mandhana, Mandovara, Maniyar, Mantri, Marda, Maru, Maroo, Mimani, Modani, Mohta, Mohata, Mundhra, Nagrani, Nanvadhar, Nathani, Navalakham, Nawal (Nuwal), Noval, Nyati, Pachisia, Partani, Pallod, Patwa, Panpalia, Pediwal, Parwal, Phoomra, Rathi, Saboo, Sanwal, Sarda, Shah, Sikachi, Singhi Sodani, Somani, Soni, Taparia, Taori, Tela, Tenany, Thirani, Toshniwal, Totla, Tuwani, Zawar.

Guest guest

Sear Mr. Bhaskar,

I am glad to learn the origin of Maheshwaris.

Now I also understand why Maheshwaris though Vaishnavas they worship Lord Shiva.

d d trivedi

--- On Mon, 18/5/09, Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish wrote:

Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish Maheshwaris - A Real Story. Date: Monday, 18 May, 2009, 1:47 AM

Dear friends,

The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia about Maheshwaris. I am a Maheshwari and am glad to bring to you the story of our existence and why we came to be called so.(Of course to those who may be interested).

regards/Bhaskar.

Maheshwari is the clan title of a Vaishnava business community originating from Khandela, Rajasthan in western India. Their origin in Marwar province places them as Marwaris, part of the Vaishya varna.

Origin

The mythical story traces back to a Rajput king, Raja Khandelsen, the ruler of Khandela in Rajasthan[1][2], and his two queens, Rani Suryakuvar and Indrakuvar. The king did not have any children, hence, no one to carry his name or kingdom, and despite performing numerous pujas (prayers), yagnas (fire

ceremony) and charitable contributions, the queens were unable to conceive. After sharing his sorrows with Maharishi Yagyavalk, he learned that his circumstances were due to being cursed in a previous life.

Maharishi explained to the king "In your previous life, you earned your living through killing and selling of animal flesh. Once you aimed your bow and arrow at a pregnant deer and killed her. As she died in pain, she placed a curse upon you saying, 'You shall be childless!' However, you felt guilty from this act, and went to Pushkar where you took a bath in the pious pond, to wash off your sins. This religious act helped you become a king in this life. To recover from this past curse, there is one solution that I shall explain to you. Not too far from here in Bhashkar state is a Pipal tree, under which a Shivling (see Lingam) is buried. You should get this Shivling out and make a beautiful temple for Lord Shiva, in which

this Shivling must be embellished with respect and devotion." The king did exactly as he was told, in addition he recited the "Om, Namah Sivaya" shloka (a prayer; set of holy words) for two years. This pious and religious act pleased Lord Shiva who in turn blessed the king with a son, who was named Sujansen.

After prince Sujansen's birth, the spiritual advisor made his Kundali (horoscope), to chart out his graha and nakshatra. He shared the graha position findings with King Khandelsen and said "Your son will be handsome, masculine, and powerful; however due to an unforeseen incident he will suffer from sorrow for a short while, but that will eventually result in a happy ending."

Prince Sujansen was married to princess Chadravati, daughter of King Yudhaveer. After their marriage, King Khandelsen handed over the kingdom to his son Sujansen, and moved to the forest for his retirement. One day King Sujansen went into the forest to hunt with his 72 soldiers as part of his routine. As the King and his soldiers were hunting, they got lost and became hungry. Soon, they sensed an aroma, as if someone was cooking good food, and they followed this aroma and reached a place where six rishis were performing a yagna for Lord Shiva. Due to extreme hunger, the king and soldiers started eating prasad, drinking water from the nearby pond that was reserved for the yagna puja, and also started washing their stained bows and arrows in it. This broke the rishis' concentration, and they cursed the king and his 72 soldiers to turn into stones.

Back in the kingdom, the queen and the wives of the 72 soldiers waited for months for their husbands' return. Finally Queen Chandravati went to see Maharishi Jabali. Rishi Jabali explained the situation in its entirety and suggested that she and the wives of the soldiers should go to the temple near the pond and pray to Lord Shiva for their husbands' lives.

At this time, in Kailashparvath, in the Himalayas Lord Shiva and his beautiful wife Parvati were residing. Lord Shiva told Parvati that he needs to visit Earth, some of his worshipers were performing yagna and he needs go and show his satisfaction towards the successful completion of the yagna. Parvati loved her husband dearly, and did not like to part from her husband. This time Parvati insisted to go with Shiva to Earth. Lord Shiva said to Parvati, "Dear, you are very kind hearted, you will not be able to bear the pains of the people living on

Earth. As always, you will ask me to take away all of their sorrows, so it is better you stay here till my return to Kailashparvath. " But Parvati insisted and said, "No, I must go with you." After a while, Lord Shiva said, "As you wish!" and they both started their journey to Earth where the rishis were performing the yagna.

As Lord Shiva and Parvati reached the site, Parvati saw the queen and all the soldiers' wives crying for their husbands' stone figures. Lord Shiva explained the situation to Parvati. Parvati immediately said to Lord Shiva, "You must give these men another life, because when I can not live without you even for a fraction of a second; how can you expect me to leave this place while these wives are so sorrowful in life without their husbands?" Lord Shiva said "This is what I was afraid of when you decided to join me for this journey; in any case I must do so."

72 Maheshwari Khanps (Sub Clans)

Lord Shiva brought the king and the 72 soldiers back to life, and told king Sujansen, "As you have performed sinful activities, taking away lives of God's creatures, and have misused your power, you have suffered from this incident. From now on, since I am granting all of you a second life, you will be known after my name as 'Mahesh-waris. ' You will also stop your role of Kshatriya and become Vaishya, practicing the role of Vaishya Dharam, which is a role of non-violence. Sujansen, to compensate for your violent tendency, from now on you

will make a living through donations from your 72 Vaishaya brothers and perform the task of documenting their family trees."

At once, all came to life as if they were awakened from a long sleep. However, they were hesitant to accept their wives, since the wives still belonged to the Kshatriya caste. At this point, Parvati Mata said, "Every couple shall take four parikramas (an act of circling around a God or Goddess in the temple) around me; their gathbandhan (a long scarf used to tie bride and grooms cloth ends together) will be joined automatically. " At this, everyone did so, and they re-joined as husbands and wives. This is the reason why four feras (parikramas, in the cernacular also known as "Mama pheras") (see saptapadi) are done outside at Maheshwari weddings, as a reminder of our origin. Lord Shiva gave this blessing to the new

72 Vaishyas on the ninth day of Jyesth, Shukla Paksh in the year nine of Yudhisthira Sanvat. On this day, newlywed brides and grooms are appointed to pray to Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati so that they can also be blessed with children and eternally live a happy and joyous life.

While the 72 soldiers were bathing in the pond, their bows and arrows were melted, and after this the pond was named "Loh-Gal". Due to the incident in this story, new 72 Maheshwari khanp last names were created. After this, additional five Kshatriya last names were also added to the original 72 last names. Some of the Maheshwari Khapen are shown below:

Agiwal, Agsoor, Ajmera, Asawa, Atal, Badali, Bahety, Bagri, Bajaj, Baldeva, Bandar, Bang, Bangad, Bangar, Bhaiya, Bhandari, Bhansali, Bhattad, Bhattani, Bhutra, Bhutada, Bhuradia, Bidada, Bihani, Biyani, Birla, Bang, Chandak, Chaukhara, Chechani, Chhaparwal, Chitlangia,Dalya, Daliya Dad, Daga, Damani, Dangra, Darak, Dargar, Devapura, Dhoopar, Dhoot, Dudhani, Falod, Gadiya, Gattani, Gandhi, Gilda, Godani, Heda, Hurkat, Inani, Jajoo, Jakhotiya, Jhanwar, Kabra, Kachauliya, Kahlya, Kalani, Kalantri, Kankani, Karmani,Karwa, Kasat, Khatod, Kothari, Laddha, Lahoti, Lakhotia, Lohia, Malani, Mall, Malpani, Malu, Mandhana, Mandovara, Maniyar, Mantri, Marda, Maru, Maroo, Mimani, Modani, Mohta, Mohata, Mundhra, Nagrani, Nanvadhar, Nathani, Navalakham, Nawal (Nuwal), Noval, Nyati, Pachisia, Partani, Pallod, Patwa, Panpalia, Pediwal, Parwal, Phoomra, Rathi, Saboo, Sanwal, Sarda, Shah, Sikachi, Singhi Sodani, Somani, Soni, Taparia, Taori, Tela, Tenany, Thirani, Toshniwal, Totla, Tuwani, Zawar.

Cricket on your mind? Visit the ultimate cricket website. Enter now!

Guest guest

Dear Trivedi ji,

Any true Maheshwari would worship both forms of Vishnu, Rama and

Krishna, as well as Lord Shankara. Because all those who have read

Ramayana well, know that Shiv ka bairi cannot have Lord Ramas grace,

and Ramka bairi cannot have Shivas grace.

regards,Bhaskar.

, dushyant trivedi <trivedi20

wrote:

>

> Sear Mr. Bhaskar,

>

> I am glad to learn the origin of Maheshwaris.

>

> Now I also understand why Maheshwaris though Vaishnavas they worship

Lord Shiva.

>

> d d trivedi

>

>

>

> --- On Mon, 18/5/09, Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish wrote:

>

>

> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish

> Maheshwaris - A Real Story.

>

> Monday, 18 May, 2009, 1:47 AM

>

>

>

Dear friends,

>

> The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia about Maheshwaris. I am a

Maheshwari and am glad to bring to you the story of our existence and

why we came to be called so.(Of course to those who may be interested).

>

> regards/Bhaskar.

>

>

> Maheshwari is the clan title of a Vaishnava business community

originating from Khandela, Rajasthan in western India. Their origin in

Marwar province places them as Marwaris, part of the Vaishya varna.

>

> Origin

> The mythical story traces back to a Rajput king, Raja Khandelsen, the

ruler of Khandela in Rajasthan[1][2], and his two queens, Rani

Suryakuvar and Indrakuvar. The king did not have any children, hence, no

one to carry his name or kingdom, and despite performing numerous pujas

(prayers), yagnas (fire ceremony) and charitable contributions, the

queens were unable to conceive. After sharing his sorrows with Maharishi

Yagyavalk, he learned that his circumstances were due to being cursed in

a previous life.

> Maharishi explained to the king " In your previous life, you earned

your living through killing and selling of animal flesh. Once you aimed

your bow and arrow at a pregnant deer and killed her. As she died in

pain, she placed a curse upon you saying, 'You shall be childless!'

However, you felt guilty from this act, and went to Pushkar where you

took a bath in the pious pond, to wash off your sins. This religious act

helped you become a king in this life. To recover from this past curse,

there is one solution that I shall explain to you. Not too far from here

in Bhashkar state is a Pipal tree, under which a Shivling (see Lingam)

is buried. You should get this Shivling out and make a beautiful temple

for Lord Shiva, in which this Shivling must be embellished with respect

and devotion. " The king did exactly as he was told, in addition he

recited the " Om, Namah Sivaya " shloka (a prayer; set of holy words) for

two years. This pious and religious act pleased

> Lord Shiva who in turn blessed the king with a son, who was named

Sujansen.

> After prince Sujansen's birth, the spiritual advisor made his Kundali

(horoscope), to chart out his graha and nakshatra. He shared the graha

position findings with King Khandelsen and said " Your son will be

handsome, masculine, and powerful; however due to an unforeseen incident

he will suffer from sorrow for a short while, but that will eventually

result in a happy ending. "

> Prince Sujansen was married to princess Chadravati, daughter of King

Yudhaveer. After their marriage, King Khandelsen handed over the kingdom

to his son Sujansen, and moved to the forest for his retirement. One day

King Sujansen went into the forest to hunt with his 72 soldiers as part

of his routine. As the King and his soldiers were hunting, they got lost

and became hungry. Soon, they sensed an aroma, as if someone was cooking

good food, and they followed this aroma and reached a place where six

rishis were performing a yagna for Lord Shiva. Due to extreme hunger,

the king and soldiers started eating prasad, drinking water from the

nearby pond that was reserved for the yagna puja, and also started

washing their stained bows and arrows in it. This broke the rishis'

concentration, and they cursed the king and his 72 soldiers to turn into

stones.

> Back in the kingdom, the queen and the wives of the 72 soldiers waited

for months for their husbands' return. Finally Queen Chandravati went to

see Maharishi Jabali. Rishi Jabali explained the situation in its

entirety and suggested that she and the wives of the soldiers should go

to the temple near the pond and pray to Lord Shiva for their husbands'

lives.

> At this time, in Kailashparvath, in the Himalayas Lord Shiva and his

beautiful wife Parvati were residing. Lord Shiva told Parvati that he

needs to visit Earth, some of his worshipers were performing yagna and

he needs go and show his satisfaction towards the successful completion

of the yagna. Parvati loved her husband dearly, and did not like to part

from her husband. This time Parvati insisted to go with Shiva to Earth.

Lord Shiva said to Parvati, " Dear, you are very kind hearted, you will

not be able to bear the pains of the people living on Earth. As always,

you will ask me to take away all of their sorrows, so it is better you

stay here till my return to Kailashparvath. " But Parvati insisted and

said, " No, I must go with you. " After a while, Lord Shiva said, " As you

wish! " and they both started their journey to Earth where the rishis

were performing the yagna.

> As Lord Shiva and Parvati reached the site, Parvati saw the queen and

all the soldiers' wives crying for their husbands' stone figures. Lord

Shiva explained the situation to Parvati. Parvati immediately said to

Lord Shiva, " You must give these men another life, because when I can

not live without you even for a fraction of a second; how can you expect

me to leave this place while these wives are so sorrowful in life

without their husbands? " Lord Shiva said " This is what I was afraid of

when you decided to join me for this journey; in any case I must do so. "

> 72 Maheshwari Khanps (Sub Clans)

> Lord Shiva brought the king and the 72 soldiers back to life, and told

king Sujansen, " As you have performed sinful activities, taking away

lives of God's creatures, and have misused your power, you have suffered

from this incident. From now on, since I am granting all of you a second

life, you will be known after my name as 'Mahesh-waris. ' You will also

stop your role of Kshatriya and become Vaishya, practicing the role of

Vaishya Dharam, which is a role of non-violence. Sujansen, to compensate

for your violent tendency, from now on you will make a living through

donations from your 72 Vaishaya brothers and perform the task of

documenting their family trees. "

> At once, all came to life as if they were awakened from a long sleep.

However, they were hesitant to accept their wives, since the wives still

belonged to the Kshatriya caste. At this point, Parvati Mata said,

" Every couple shall take four parikramas (an act of circling around a

God or Goddess in the temple) around me; their gathbandhan (a long scarf

used to tie bride and grooms cloth ends together) will be joined

automatically. " At this, everyone did so, and they re-joined as

husbands and wives. This is the reason why four feras (parikramas, in

the cernacular also known as " Mama pheras " ) (see saptapadi) are done

outside at Maheshwari weddings, as a reminder of our origin. Lord Shiva

gave this blessing to the new 72 Vaishyas on the ninth day of Jyesth,

Shukla Paksh in the year nine of Yudhisthira Sanvat. On this day,

newlywed brides and grooms are appointed to pray to Lord Shiva and Mata

Parvati so that they can also be blessed with children and

> eternally live a happy and joyous life.

> While the 72 soldiers were bathing in the pond, their bows and arrows

were melted, and after this the pond was named " Loh-Gal " . Due to the

incident in this story, new 72 Maheshwari khanp last names were

created. After this, additional five Kshatriya last names were also

added to the original 72 last names. Some of the Maheshwari Khapen are

shown below:

> Agiwal, Agsoor, Ajmera, Asawa, Atal, Badali, Bahety, Bagri, Bajaj,

Baldeva, Bandar, Bang, Bangad, Bangar, Bhaiya, Bhandari, Bhansali,

Bhattad, Bhattani, Bhutra, Bhutada, Bhuradia, Bidada, Bihani, Biyani,

Birla, Bang, Chandak, Chaukhara, Chechani, Chhaparwal, Chitlangia,Dalya,

Daliya Dad, Daga, Damani, Dangra, Darak, Dargar, Devapura, Dhoopar,

Dhoot, Dudhani, Falod, Gadiya, Gattani, Gandhi, Gilda, Godani, Heda,

Hurkat, Inani, Jajoo, Jakhotiya, Jhanwar, Kabra, Kachauliya, Kahlya,

Kalani, Kalantri, Kankani, Karmani,Karwa, Kasat, Khatod, Kothari,

Laddha, Lahoti, Lakhotia, Lohia, Malani, Mall, Malpani, Malu, Mandhana,

Mandovara, Maniyar, Mantri, Marda, Maru, Maroo, Mimani, Modani, Mohta,

Mohata, Mundhra, Nagrani, Nanvadhar, Nathani, Navalakham, Nawal (Nuwal),

Noval, Nyati, Pachisia, Partani, Pallod, Patwa, Panpalia, Pediwal,

Parwal, Phoomra, Rathi, Saboo, Sanwal, Sarda, Shah, Sikachi, Singhi

Sodani, Somani, Soni, Taparia, Taori, Tela, Tenany, Thirani,

> Toshniwal, Totla, Tuwani, Zawar.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.*Go to

http://in.business./

>

Guest guest

respected bhaskar ji thanks for this post and giving us illumination abt the origin of maheswarisit was a real knowledgeble one for persons like me who dont know much abt diffrnt Names in north india as i am frm south thanks and rgrds sunil nair i owe u some pending replies in grp and will do it soon ,now i am tied up , "Bhaskar" <bhaskar_jyotish wrote:>> > Dear Trivedi ji,> > Any true Maheshwari would worship both forms of Vishnu, Rama and> Krishna, as well as Lord Shankara. Because all those who have read> Ramayana well, know that Shiv ka bairi cannot have Lord Ramas grace,> and Ramka bairi cannot have Shivas grace.> > regards,Bhaskar.> > > > , dushyant trivedi trivedi20@> wrote:> >> > Sear Mr. Bhaskar,> >> > I am glad to learn the origin of Maheshwaris.> >> > Now I also understand why Maheshwaris though Vaishnavas they worship> Lord Shiva.> >> > d d trivedi> >> >> >> > --- On Mon, 18/5/09, Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ wrote:> >> >> > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@> > Maheshwaris - A Real Story.> > > > Monday, 18 May, 2009, 1:47 AM> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Dear friends,> >> > The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia about Maheshwaris. I am a> Maheshwari and am glad to bring to you the story of our existence and> why we came to be called so.(Of course to those who may be interested).> >> > regards/Bhaskar.> >> >> > Maheshwari is the clan title of a Vaishnava business community> originating from Khandela, Rajasthan in western India. Their origin in> Marwar province places them as Marwaris, part of the Vaishya varna.> >> > Origin> > The mythical story traces back to a Rajput king, Raja Khandelsen, the> ruler of Khandela in Rajasthan[1][2], and his two queens, Rani> Suryakuvar and Indrakuvar. The king did not have any children, hence, no> one to carry his name or kingdom, and despite performing numerous pujas> (prayers), yagnas (fire ceremony) and charitable contributions, the> queens were unable to conceive. After sharing his sorrows with Maharishi> Yagyavalk, he learned that his circumstances were due to being cursed in> a previous life.> > Maharishi explained to the king "In your previous life, you earned> your living through killing and selling of animal flesh. Once you aimed> your bow and arrow at a pregnant deer and killed her. As she died in> pain, she placed a curse upon you saying, 'You shall be childless!'> However, you felt guilty from this act, and went to Pushkar where you> took a bath in the pious pond, to wash off your sins. This religious act> helped you become a king in this life. To recover from this past curse,> there is one solution that I shall explain to you. Not too far from here> in Bhashkar state is a Pipal tree, under which a Shivling (see Lingam)> is buried. You should get this Shivling out and make a beautiful temple> for Lord Shiva, in which this Shivling must be embellished with respect> and devotion." The king did exactly as he was told, in addition he> recited the "Om, Namah Sivaya" shloka (a prayer; set of holy words) for> two years. This pious and religious act pleased> > Lord Shiva who in turn blessed the king with a son, who was named> Sujansen.> > After prince Sujansen's birth, the spiritual advisor made his Kundali> (horoscope), to chart out his graha and nakshatra. He shared the graha> position findings with King Khandelsen and said "Your son will be> handsome, masculine, and powerful; however due to an unforeseen incident> he will suffer from sorrow for a short while, but that will eventually> result in a happy ending."> > Prince Sujansen was married to princess Chadravati, daughter of King> Yudhaveer. After their marriage, King Khandelsen handed over the kingdom> to his son Sujansen, and moved to the forest for his retirement. One day> King Sujansen went into the forest to hunt with his 72 soldiers as part> of his routine. As the King and his soldiers were hunting, they got lost> and became hungry. Soon, they sensed an aroma, as if someone was cooking> good food, and they followed this aroma and reached a place where six> rishis were performing a yagna for Lord Shiva. Due to extreme hunger,> the king and soldiers started eating prasad, drinking water from the> nearby pond that was reserved for the yagna puja, and also started> washing their stained bows and arrows in it. This broke the rishis'> concentration, and they cursed the king and his 72 soldiers to turn into> stones.> > Back in the kingdom, the queen and the wives of the 72 soldiers waited> for months for their husbands' return. Finally Queen Chandravati went to> see Maharishi Jabali. Rishi Jabali explained the situation in its> entirety and suggested that she and the wives of the soldiers should go> to the temple near the pond and pray to Lord Shiva for their husbands'> lives.> > At this time, in Kailashparvath, in the Himalayas Lord Shiva and his> beautiful wife Parvati were residing. Lord Shiva told Parvati that he> needs to visit Earth, some of his worshipers were performing yagna and> he needs go and show his satisfaction towards the successful completion> of the yagna. Parvati loved her husband dearly, and did not like to part> from her husband. This time Parvati insisted to go with Shiva to Earth.> Lord Shiva said to Parvati, "Dear, you are very kind hearted, you will> not be able to bear the pains of the people living on Earth. As always,> you will ask me to take away all of their sorrows, so it is better you> stay here till my return to Kailashparvath. " But Parvati insisted and> said, "No, I must go with you." After a while, Lord Shiva said, "As you> wish!" and they both started their journey to Earth where the rishis> were performing the yagna.> > As Lord Shiva and Parvati reached the site, Parvati saw the queen and> all the soldiers' wives crying for their husbands' stone figures. Lord> Shiva explained the situation to Parvati. Parvati immediately said to> Lord Shiva, "You must give these men another life, because when I can> not live without you even for a fraction of a second; how can you expect> me to leave this place while these wives are so sorrowful in life> without their husbands?" Lord Shiva said "This is what I was afraid of> when you decided to join me for this journey; in any case I must do so."> > 72 Maheshwari Khanps (Sub Clans)> > Lord Shiva brought the king and the 72 soldiers back to life, and told> king Sujansen, "As you have performed sinful activities, taking away> lives of God's creatures, and have misused your power, you have suffered> from this incident. From now on, since I am granting all of you a second> life, you will be known after my name as 'Mahesh-waris. ' You will also> stop your role of Kshatriya and become Vaishya, practicing the role of> Vaishya Dharam, which is a role of non-violence. Sujansen, to compensate> for your violent tendency, from now on you will make a living through> donations from your 72 Vaishaya brothers and perform the task of> documenting their family trees."> > At once, all came to life as if they were awakened from a long sleep.> However, they were hesitant to accept their wives, since the wives still> belonged to the Kshatriya caste. At this point, Parvati Mata said,> "Every couple shall take four parikramas (an act of circling around a> God or Goddess in the temple) around me; their gathbandhan (a long scarf> used to tie bride and grooms cloth ends together) will be joined> automatically. " At this, everyone did so, and they re-joined as> husbands and wives. This is the reason why four feras (parikramas, in> the cernacular also known as "Mama pheras") (see saptapadi) are done> outside at Maheshwari weddings, as a reminder of our origin. Lord Shiva> gave this blessing to the new 72 Vaishyas on the ninth day of Jyesth,> Shukla Paksh in the year nine of Yudhisthira Sanvat. On this day,> newlywed brides and grooms are appointed to pray to Lord Shiva and Mata> Parvati so that they can also be blessed with children and> > eternally live a happy and joyous life.> > While the 72 soldiers were bathing in the pond, their bows and arrows> were melted, and after this the pond was named "Loh-Gal". Due to the> incident in this story, new 72 Maheshwari khanp last names were> created. After this, additional five Kshatriya last names were also> added to the original 72 last names. Some of the Maheshwari Khapen are> shown below:> > Agiwal, Agsoor, Ajmera, Asawa, Atal, Badali, Bahety, Bagri, Bajaj,> Baldeva, Bandar, Bang, Bangad, Bangar, Bhaiya, Bhandari, Bhansali,> Bhattad, Bhattani, Bhutra, Bhutada, Bhuradia, Bidada, Bihani, Biyani,> Birla, Bang, Chandak, Chaukhara, Chechani, Chhaparwal, Chitlangia,Dalya,> Daliya Dad, Daga, Damani, Dangra, Darak, Dargar, Devapura, Dhoopar,> Dhoot, Dudhani, Falod, Gadiya, Gattani, Gandhi, Gilda, Godani, Heda,> Hurkat, Inani, Jajoo, Jakhotiya, Jhanwar, Kabra, Kachauliya, Kahlya,> Kalani, Kalantri, Kankani, Karmani,Karwa, Kasat, Khatod, Kothari,> Laddha, Lahoti, Lakhotia, Lohia, Malani, Mall, Malpani, Malu, Mandhana,> Mandovara, Maniyar, Mantri, Marda, Maru, Maroo, Mimani, Modani, Mohta,> Mohata, Mundhra, Nagrani, Nanvadhar, Nathani, Navalakham, Nawal (Nuwal),> Noval, Nyati, Pachisia, Partani, Pallod, Patwa, Panpalia, Pediwal,> Parwal, Phoomra, Rathi, Saboo, Sanwal, Sarda, Shah, Sikachi, Singhi> Sodani, Somani, Soni, Taparia, Taori, Tela, Tenany, Thirani,> > Toshniwal, Totla, Tuwani, Zawar.> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> > Own a website.Get an unlimited package.Pay next to nothing.*Go to> http://in.business./> >>

Guest guest

Dear Bhaskarji,

Namaste.

Thank you very much for sharing it with all of us. It is much appreciated.

warmest regards

Sheevani

, " Bhaskar " <bhaskar_jyotish wrote:

>

>

> Dear friends,

>

>

>

> The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia about Maheshwaris. I am a

> Maheshwari and am glad to bring to you the story of our existence and

> why we came to be called so.(Of course to those who may be interested).

>

>

>

> regards/Bhaskar.

>

>

>

>

>

> Maheshwari is the clan title of a Vaishnava

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaishnava> business community originating

> from Khandela <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khandela> , Rajasthan

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajasthan> in western India

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India> . Their origin in Marwar

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marwar> province places them as Marwaris

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marwaris> , part of the Vaishya

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaishya> varna.

>

>

> Origin

> The mythical story traces back to a Rajput king, Raja Khandelsen

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raja_Khandelsen> , the ruler of Khandela

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khandela> in Rajasthan[1][2], and his two

> queens, Rani Suryakuvar and Indrakuvar. The king did not have any

> children, hence, no one to carry his name or kingdom, and despite

> performing numerous pujas (prayers), yagnas (fire ceremony) and

> charitable contributions, the queens were unable to conceive. After

> sharing his sorrows with Maharishi Yagyavalk, he learned that his

> circumstances were due to being cursed in a previous life

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation> .

>

> Maharishi explained to the king " In your previous life, you earned your

> living through killing and selling of animal flesh. Once you aimed your

> bow and arrow at a pregnant deer and killed her. As she died in pain,

> she placed a curse upon you saying, 'You shall be childless!' However,

> you felt guilty from this act, and went to Pushkar where you took a bath

> in the pious pond, to wash off your sins. This religious act helped you

> become a king in this life. To recover from this past curse, there is

> one solution that I shall explain to you. Not too far from here in

> Bhashkar state is a Pipal tree, under which a Shivling (see Lingam

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingam> ) is buried. You should get this

> Shivling out and make a beautiful temple for Lord Shiva, in which this

> Shivling must be embellished with respect and devotion. " The king did

> exactly as he was told, in addition he recited the " Om, Namah Sivaya "

> shloka (a prayer; set of holy words) for two years. This pious and

> religious act pleased Lord Shiva who in turn blessed the king with a

> son, who was named Sujansen.

>

> After prince Sujansen's birth, the spiritual advisor made his Kundali

> (horoscope), to chart out his graha <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graha>

> and nakshatra <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakshatra> . He shared the

> graha position findings with King Khandelsen and said " Your son will be

> handsome, masculine, and powerful; however due to an unforeseen incident

> he will suffer from sorrow for a short while, but that will eventually

> result in a happy ending. "

>

> Prince Sujansen was married to princess Chadravati, daughter of King

> Yudhaveer. After their marriage, King Khandelsen handed over the kingdom

> to his son Sujansen, and moved to the forest for his retirement. One day

> King Sujansen went into the forest to hunt with his 72 soldiers as part

> of his routine. As the King and his soldiers were hunting, they got lost

> and became hungry. Soon, they sensed an aroma, as if someone was cooking

> good food, and they followed this aroma and reached a place where six

> rishis <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rishis> were performing a yagna

> for Lord Shiva. Due to extreme hunger, the king and soldiers started

> eating prasad <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prasad> , drinking water

> from the nearby pond that was reserved for the yagna puja, and also

> started washing their stained bows and arrows in it. This broke the

> rishis' concentration, and they cursed the king and his 72 soldiers to

> turn into stones.

>

> Back in the kingdom, the queen and the wives of the 72 soldiers waited

> for months for their husbands' return. Finally Queen Chandravati went to

> see Maharishi Jabali. Rishi Jabali explained the situation in its

> entirety and suggested that she and the wives of the soldiers should go

> to the temple near the pond and pray to Lord Shiva for their husbands'

> lives.

>

> At this time, in Kailashparvath, in the Himalayas Lord Shiva

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiva> and his beautiful wife Parvati

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parvati> were residing. Lord Shiva told

> Parvati that he needs to visit Earth, some of his worshipers were

> performing yagna and he needs go and show his satisfaction towards the

> successful completion of the yagna. Parvati loved her husband dearly,

> and did not like to part from her husband. This time Parvati insisted to

> go with Shiva to Earth. Lord Shiva said to Parvati, " Dear, you are very

> kind hearted, you will not be able to bear the pains of the people

> living on Earth. As always, you will ask me to take away all of their

> sorrows, so it is better you stay here till my return to

> Kailashparvath. " But Parvati insisted and said, " No, I must go with

> you. " After a while, Lord Shiva said, " As you wish! " and they both

> started their journey to Earth where the rishis were performing the

> yagna.

>

> As Lord Shiva and Parvati reached the site, Parvati saw the queen and

> all the soldiers' wives crying for their husbands' stone figures. Lord

> Shiva explained the situation to Parvati. Parvati immediately said to

> Lord Shiva, " You must give these men another life, because when I can

> not live without you even for a fraction of a second; how can you expect

> me to leave this place while these wives are so sorrowful in life

> without their husbands? " Lord Shiva said " This is what I was afraid of

> when you decided to join me for this journey; in any case I must do so. "

> 72 Maheshwari Khanps (Sub Clans)

> Lord Shiva brought the king and the 72 soldiers back to life, and told

> king Sujansen, " As you have performed sinful activities, taking away

> lives of God's creatures, and have misused your power, you have suffered

> from this incident. From now on, since I am granting all of you a second

> life, you will be known after my name as 'Mahesh-waris.' You will also

> stop your role of Kshatriya <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kshatriya>

> and become Vaishya <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaishya> , practicing

> the role of Vaishya Dharam, which is a role of non-violence. Sujansen,

> to compensate for your violent tendency, from now on you will make a

> living through donations from your 72 Vaishaya brothers and perform the

> task of documenting their family trees. "

>

> At once, all came to life as if they were awakened from a long sleep.

> However, they were hesitant to accept their wives, since the wives still

> belonged to the Kshatriya caste. At this point, Parvati Mata said,

> " Every couple shall take four parikramas (an act of circling around a

> God or Goddess in the temple) around me; their gathbandhan (a long scarf

> used to tie bride and grooms cloth ends together) will be joined

> automatically. " At this, everyone did so, and they re-joined as husbands

> and wives. This is the reason why four feras (parikramas, in the

> cernacular also known as " Mama pheras " ) (see saptapadi

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saptapadi> ) are done outside at

> Maheshwari weddings, as a reminder of our origin. Lord Shiva gave this

> blessing to the new 72 Vaishyas on the ninth day of Jyesth, Shukla Paksh

> in the year nine of Yudhisthira Sanvat. On this day, newlywed brides and

> grooms are appointed to pray to Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati so that they

> can also be blessed with children and eternally live a happy and joyous

> life.

>

> While the 72 soldiers were bathing in the pond, their bows and arrows

> were melted, and after this the pond was named " Loh-Gal " . Due to the

> incident in this story, new 72 Maheshwari khanp last names were

> created. After this, additional five Kshatriya last names were also

> added to the original 72 last names. Some of the Maheshwari Khapen are

> shown below:

>

> Agiwal, Agsoor, Ajmera, Asawa, Atal, Badali, Bahety, Bagri, Bajaj,

> Baldeva, Bandar, Bang, Bangad, Bangar, Bhaiya, Bhandari, Bhansali,

> Bhattad, Bhattani, Bhutra, Bhutada, Bhuradia, Bidada, Bihani, Biyani,

> Birla <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birla> , Bang, Chandak, Chaukhara,

> Chechani, Chhaparwal, Chitlangia,Dalya, Daliya Dad, Daga, Damani,

> Dangra, Darak, Dargar, Devapura, Dhoopar, Dhoot, Dudhani, Falod, Gadiya,

> Gattani, Gandhi, Gilda, Godani, Heda, Hurkat, Inani, Jajoo, Jakhotiya,

> Jhanwar, Kabra, Kachauliya, Kahlya, Kalani, Kalantri, Kankani,

> Karmani,Karwa, Kasat, Khatod, Kothari, Laddha, Lahoti

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lahoti> , Lakhotia, Lohia, Malani, Mall,

> Malpani, Malu, Mandhana, Mandovara, Maniyar, Mantri, Marda, Maru, Maroo,

> Mimani, Modani, Mohta, Mohata, Mundhra, Nagrani, Nanvadhar, Nathani,

> Navalakham, Nawal (Nuwal), Noval, Nyati, Pachisia, Partani, Pallod,

> Patwa, Panpalia, Pediwal, Parwal, Phoomra, Rathi, Saboo, Sanwal, Sarda,

> Shah, Sikachi, Singhi Sodani, Somani

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somani> , Soni, Taparia, Taori, Tela,

> Tenany, Thirani, Toshniwal, Totla, Tuwani, Zawar.

>