IndiaDivine.org

What is the Shape of God?! :) - Circle!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Deat Sreenadh,

I think association of circle with God means something which does not have a beginning or end, more so when the word unbroken (akhanda) is used. It is so huge that it pervades everywhere (Vyaptam Yena Characharam).

Regards

Sarajit

On Nov 30, 2007 2:08 PM, jyothi_b_lakshmi <jyothilakshmi.b wrote:

Respected Srinadhji,Thought by somebody who is not a scholar in either sanskrit or scriptures:First I have a doubt if the sloka says God is spherical. I thought the meaning is " I bow to that Guru who showed me thou, who pervades the whole universe " . If I am wrong in my understanding I request scholars to correct me.Now, about the " shape " of God, I think every body knows God is shapeless. And God is a self-containing, self-sustaining power. May be because we are not able to comprehend that power, we try to picturise the power as best as possible and sphere scientifically is a shape that occupies maximum volume, so what else we can write to glorify that power but to say that he pervades the whole " golam/sphere " .Regards,Jyothi , " Sreenadh "

<sreesog wrote:>> Dear All,> A popular quote reads - > " Akhanda Mandalakaram Vyaptam Yena Characharam> Tatpadam Darsitam Yena Tasmai Sri Gurave namaH "

> The Guru knows about the supreme and so I bow to him. What is the > description given to the supreme? " Akhanda Mandalakaram " ! 'Akhanda' > means 'Unbroken' or 'Continuous'. 'Mandala' means 'Circle'. 'Akaram' > means 'Shape'! > The Shape of God is that of an unbroken cirle!! ;) > But how can a circle be 'Khanda' or 'broken'? If the circle is > incomplete - we can't call it a circle at all. A circle has to be > complete - so what is the use of the word 'Akhanda' at all?> Is it that the sage is refering to something that is 'Circular' from > all directions? Some thing like a 'Sphere'? In astrology 'Gola' > (Sphere) is important and the study of cosmic spears (astronomy) is > termed 'Gola' by ancient indians. So is it that - " God is sperical " ? ;)> But how can a sphere be " Vyaptam Yena Characharam " (present in every > living and non-living being)? Is it that god is some thing like and > Atom? ;) Spherical and present in living and non-living - everywhere? > But then what about vacuum? Ohh!! It all becoming so confusing! I > thought it is very simple! :( > A simple sloka - we though we know well about - why is it causing so > much confusion? Is it that we never looked into it in the right > perspective? > Hope many will come out with some nice thoughts. :)> > Point to note: This is just a fun exercise to bring into notice the > fact - " We don't know or think about many things which we ASSUME that > we know well about - many things that we see and interact in daily > life " :) > Have fun! Enjoy! > Love,> Sreenadh>

-- Best WishesSarajit Poddar