IndiaDivine.org

Sudraka/Mrischakatika/astronomer Yallaya/Atharva Veda Parisishtha (53.3.5)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sunil ji, Here a useful link to the book "The Little Clay Cart (Mrischakatika) by Shudraka, translated by Arthur William Ryder". Thanks to sacread-texts.com Link to Mrischakatika (English Transilation) : http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/lcc/index.htm Love and regards,Sreeandh , "sunil nair" <astro_tellerkerala wrote:

Hare ramakrishna

dear sunil bhattacharjya ji

I too heard abt yallaya but not sure abt origins may sreenadh ji may b able to help us

now i searched wiki and i find this informations on koodiyatham ( they were staging almost all dramas including mricha kateegam ( if my memory is correct ) .

Koodiyattam or Kutiyattam (pronounced [kuËʈijaËʈËam]) is a form of Sanskrit theatre traditionally performed in the state of Kerala, India. Performed in the Sanskrit language in Hindu temples, it is believed to be at 2000 years old. It is officially recognised by UNESCO as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.

Origin

Koodiyattam[kutiyattam], meaning 'combined acting' signifies Sanskrit drama presented in the traditional style in temple theatres of Kerala and is the only surviving specimen of the ancient Sanskrit theatre. It has an attested history of a thousand years in Kerala, but its origin and evolution are shrouded in mystery. It seems that Kutiyattam is an amalgam of the classical sanskrit theatre of ancient India and the regional theatre of Kerala. It is believed that Kulasekhara Varman Cheraman Perumal, an ancient king of Kerala, who ruled from Mahodayapuram [modern Kodungallur] reformed Koodiyattam, introducing the local language for Vidusaka and structuring presentation of the play to well defined units. He himself wrote two plays, Subhadraharana and Tapatisamvarana and made arrangements for their presentation on stage with the help of a Brahmin friend of him called Tolan. These plays are still presented on stage. Apart from these, the plays traditionally presented include Ascaryacudamani of Saktibhadra, Kalyanasaugandhika of Nilakantha, Bhagavadajjuka of Bodhayana, Nagananda of Harsa, and many plays ascribed to Bhasa including Abhiseka and Pratima. The Kutiyattam performance was confined to the temple precincts of Kerala in specialy constructed theatres called Kutampalams.

also this wat i find abt mriccha katigam.

---

Mricchakatika (The Little Clay Cart)

Main article: Mrichakatika

One of the earliest known Sanskrit plays, this play is thought to have been composed by ?Shudraka in the 2nd century BC. Rife with romance, sex, royal intrigue and comedy, the juicy plot of the play has numerous twists and turns. The main story is about a young man named Charudatta, and his love for Vasantasena, a rich courtesan or nagarvadhu. The love affair is complicated by a royal courtier, who is also attracted to Vasantasena. The plot is further complicated by thieves and mistaken identities, and thus making it a greatly hilarious and entertaining play. It invited widespread admiration when staged in New York in 1924. The play was made into a 1984 Hindi movie Utsav, directed by Girish Karnad. The Indian play depicted in the film Moulin Rouge! may have been based on The Little Clay Cart.

Thanks and rgrds sunil nair

om shreem mahalaxmai namah

, Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:>> Dear Sunil Nairji,> > I thank you for the information on "koodiyattam".I think the astronomer Yallaya was from Kerala or Karnataka. As regards the date of Shudraka my best guess will be the 18th or 19th century BCE.> > Regards,> > Sunil K. Bhattacharjya> > > > > sunil nair astro_tellerkerala > Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:31:11 AM> Re: Sun+Moon in Same Sign Same Navamsa> > > > Hare rama krishna > dear sunil bhattacharya ji > > sreenadh ji will answer u doubts if it is possible by him ,but pls allow me to interfere .> > just a peice of information i wanted to share with u ,the dance drama of kerala known as koodiyattam is using full sanksrit dailogues and its even recognised by UN ( united nations ) and they hav declared as a monument status with heritage which is shud b preserved .So giving all the funding to support it and its artists ,and its said that it is minimum 2000 yrs old .So this is a living proof .Mricha katteegam i was knowing abt it ,but sorry my memory is weak now .> > regrds sunil nair > om shreem mahalaxmai namah > > > > ancient_indian_ astrology, Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:> >> > Dear Sreenadhji,> > > > Namaste,> > > > 1)> > I understand from Shri Arun Upadhyayji that the astronomer Yallaya (or Yallya) some 400 years ago wrote "Jyotish Darpana", where Yallaya gave a sloka regarding the date of Shudraka, the writer of the ancient masterpiece "Mricchakatika. This date is important for those interested in the history of Sanskrit literature. All my efforts to locate that book failed. Have you or any other member of our forum seen this book?> > 2)> > Secondly I have read that Atharva Veda Parisishtha (53.3.5) has said that eclipses occurring in thirteen days is ominous. This is also a proof that the there is astrological prediction in the Vedas. It will be good if we can have this reference also.> > > > Regards,> > > > skb> >

Dear Sunil ji and Sunil Bhattacharjya ji, May be this info could also be useful -==

Shudraka

Shudraka's only existent play presents him as a king, and gives details of his capacities; he was an expert in the Rig Veda, the Sama Veda, mathematics, the arts regarding courtesans, and the science of elephants, all facts which could be concluded from the knowledge shown in the play itself; he was cured of some complaint, and after establishing his son in his place, and performing the horse sacrifice, he entered the fire and died at the age of a hundred years and ten days. Professor Konow finds in him the Abhira prince Sivadatta, who, or whose son, Isvarasena, is held by Dr. Fleet to have overthrown the last of the Andhra dynasty and to have founded the Cedi era of A.D. 248-9. This remarkable result is held to be supported by the fact that in the play the king of Ujjayini is Palaka, and is represented as being overthrown by Aryaka, son of a herdsman, and the Abhiras are essentially herdsmen.Shudraka's Dramas: Mrcchakatika*Source: The Sanskrit Drama, A. Berriedale Keith (from http://www.swaveda.com/background.php?category=33 & title=Indian%20Drama & page=11 )<== Love and regards,Sreenadh , "Sreenadh" <sreesog wrote:Dear Sunil ji, Here a useful link to the book "The Little Clay Cart (Mrischakatika) by Shudraka, translated by Arthur William Ryder". Thanks to sacread-texts.com Link to Mrischakatika (English Transilation) : http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/lcc/index.htm Love and regards,Sreeandh , "sunil nair" <astro_tellerkerala wrote:

Hare ramakrishna

I too heard abt yallaya but not sure abt origins may sreenadh ji may b able to help us

now i searched wiki and i find this informations on koodiyatham ( they were staging almost all dramas including mricha kateegam ( if my memory is correct ) .

Koodiyattam or Kutiyattam (pronounced [kuËʈijaËʈËam]) is a form of Sanskrit theatre traditionally performed in the state of Kerala, India. Performed in the Sanskrit language in Hindu temples, it is believed to be at 2000 years old. It is officially recognised by UNESCO as a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity.

Origin

Koodiyattam[kutiyattam], meaning 'combined acting' signifies Sanskrit drama presented in the traditional style in temple theatres of Kerala and is the only surviving specimen of the ancient Sanskrit theatre. It has an attested history of a thousand years in Kerala, but its origin and evolution are shrouded in mystery. It seems that Kutiyattam is an amalgam of the classical sanskrit theatre of ancient India and the regional theatre of Kerala. It is believed that Kulasekhara Varman Cheraman Perumal, an ancient king of Kerala, who ruled from Mahodayapuram [modern Kodungallur] reformed Koodiyattam, introducing the local language for Vidusaka and structuring presentation of the play to well defined units. He himself wrote two plays, Subhadraharana and Tapatisamvarana and made arrangements for their presentation on stage with the help of a Brahmin friend of him called Tolan. These plays are still presented on stage. Apart from these, the plays traditionally presented include Ascaryacudamani of Saktibhadra, Kalyanasaugandhika of Nilakantha, Bhagavadajjuka of Bodhayana, Nagananda of Harsa, and many plays ascribed to Bhasa including Abhiseka and Pratima. The Kutiyattam performance was confined to the temple precincts of Kerala in specialy constructed theatres called Kutampalams.

---

One of the earliest known Sanskrit plays, this play is thought to have been composed by ?Shudraka in the 2nd century BC. Rife with romance, sex, royal intrigue and comedy, the juicy plot of the play has numerous twists and turns. The main story is about a young man named Charudatta, and his love for Vasantasena, a rich courtesan or nagarvadhu. The love affair is complicated by a royal courtier, who is also attracted to Vasantasena. The plot is further complicated by thieves and mistaken identities, and thus making it a greatly hilarious and entertaining play. It invited widespread admiration when staged in New York in 1924. The play was made into a 1984 Hindi movie Utsav, directed by Girish Karnad. The Indian play depicted in the film Moulin Rouge! may have been based on The Little Clay Cart.

, Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:>> Dear Sunil Nairji,> > I thank you for the information on "koodiyattam".I think the astronomer Yallaya was from Kerala or Karnataka. As regards the date of Shudraka my best guess will be the 18th or 19th century BCE.> > Regards,> > Sunil K. Bhattacharjya> > > > > sunil nair astro_tellerkerala > Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:31:11 AM> Re: Sun+Moon in Same Sign Same Navamsa> > > > Hare rama krishna > dear sunil bhattacharya ji > > sreenadh ji will answer u doubts if it is possible by him ,but pls allow me to interfere .> > just a peice of information i wanted to share with u ,the dance drama of kerala known as koodiyattam is using full sanksrit dailogues and its even recognised by UN ( united nations ) and they hav declared as a monument status with heritage which is shud b preserved .So giving all the funding to support it and its artists ,and its said that it is minimum 2000 yrs old .So this is a living proof .Mricha katteegam i was knowing abt it ,but sorry my memory is weak now .> > regrds sunil nair > om shreem mahalaxmai namah > > > > ancient_indian_ astrology, Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:> >> > Dear Sreenadhji,> > > > Namaste,> > > > 1)> > I understand from Shri Arun Upadhyayji that the astronomer Yallaya (or Yallya) some 400 years ago wrote "Jyotish Darpana", where Yallaya gave a sloka regarding the date of Shudraka, the writer of the ancient masterpiece "Mricchakatika. This date is important for those interested in the history of Sanskrit literature. All my efforts to locate that book failed. Have you or any other member of our forum seen this book?> > 2)> > Secondly I have read that Atharva Veda Parisishtha (53.3.5) has said that eclipses occurring in thirteen days is ominous. This is also a proof that the there is astrological prediction in the Vedas. It will be good if we can have this reference also.> > > > Regards,> > > > skb> >

Dear Sunil ji and Sunil Bhattacharjya ji, Some more interesting links (search for Shudraka as well) - 1) http://www.utahkrishnas.com/main/page.asp?id=2933 2) http://sahitibharadwaj.rediffiland.com/blogs/2007/04/25/Walking-down-the-lanes-of.html 3) http://www.indiaheritage.org/creative/creative_literature_sanskrit.htm 4) http://www.iloveindia.com/literature/sanskrit/plays/index.html 5) http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/itihas/guptas.htm Those who are not interested in history and literature may pardon for this link mania. Love and regards,Sreenadh , "Sreenadh" <sreesog wrote:Dear Sunil ji and Sunil Bhattacharjya ji, May be this info could also be useful -==

Shudraka

Shudraka's only existent play presents him as a king, and gives details of his capacities; he was an expert in the Rig Veda, the Sama Veda, mathematics, the arts regarding courtesans, and the science of elephants, all facts which could be concluded from the knowledge shown in the play itself; he was cured of some complaint, and after establishing his son in his place, and performing the horse sacrifice, he entered the fire and died at the age of a hundred years and ten days. Professor Konow finds in him the Abhira prince Sivadatta, who, or whose son, Isvarasena, is held by Dr. Fleet to have overthrown the last of the Andhra dynasty and to have founded the Cedi era of A.D. 248-9. This remarkable result is held to be supported by the fact that in the play the king of Ujjayini is Palaka, and is represented as being overthrown by Aryaka, son of a herdsman, and the Abhiras are essentially herdsmen.Shudraka's Dramas: Mrcchakatika*Source: The Sanskrit Drama, A. Berriedale Keith (from http://www.swaveda.com/background.php?category=33 & title=Indian%20Drama & page=11 )<== Love and regards,Sreenadh , "Sreenadh" <sreesog wrote:Dear Sunil ji, Here a useful link to the book "The Little Clay Cart (Mrischakatika) by Shudraka, translated by Arthur William Ryder". Thanks to sacread-texts.com Link to Mrischakatika (English Transilation) : http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/lcc/index.htm Love and regards,Sreeandh , "sunil nair" <astro_tellerkerala wrote:

Hare ramakrishna

Origin

---

Dear Sreenadhji,

// Those who are not interested in history and literature may pardon for this link mania. //

Let this mania be. I thouroughly enjoyed those links on the Rishis of the past, which you put a couple of days ago. I just need to spend some time enjoying the write ups on those. But have opened each and kept on Favourites. Any single individual may not find all the Links you put up, to his taste, BUT all Links would find someone or the other interested in it .

Thus no such effort is wasted or goes futile.

best wishes,

Bhaskaran.

Hare rama krishna

dear sreenadh ji

thanks for the link and explanation .Many of our history is shrouded in mystery .But still the ppl who see bad every where will ask us to prov thia and that ,knowingly our inefficiency

thanks and regrds sunil nair

Om shreem mahalaxmai namah

, "Sreenadh" <sreesog wrote:>> Dear Sunil ji and Sunil Bhattacharjya ji,> May be this info could also be useful -> ==> Shudraka> Shudraka's only existent play presents him as a king, and gives details> of his capacities; he was an expert in the Rig Veda, the Sama Veda,> mathematics, the arts regarding courtesans, and the science of> elephants, all facts which could be concluded from the knowledge shown> in the play itself; he was cured of some complaint, and after> establishing his son in his place, and performing the horse sacrifice,> he entered the fire and died at the age of a hundred years and ten days.> Professor Konow finds in him the Abhira prince Sivadatta, who, or whose> son, Isvarasena, is held by Dr. Fleet to have overthrown the last of the> Andhra dynasty and to have founded the Cedi era of A.D. 248-9. This> remarkable result is held to be supported by the fact that in the play> the king of Ujjayini is Palaka, and is represented as being overthrown> by Aryaka, son of a herdsman, and the Abhiras are essentially herdsmen.> > Shudraka's Dramas: Mrcchakatika> > *Source: The Sanskrit Drama, A. Berriedale Keith (from> http://www.swaveda.com/background.php?category=33 & title=Indian%20Drama & p\> age=11> <http://www.swaveda.com/background.php?category=33 & title=Indian%20Drama & \> page=11> )<==> > Love and regards,> Sreenadh> > , "Sreenadh"> sreesog@ wrote:> Dear Sunil ji,> Here a useful link to the book "The Little Clay Cart (Mrischakatika)> by Shudraka, translated by Arthur William Ryder". [:)] Thanks to> sacread-texts.com> Link to Mrischakatika (English Transilation) :> http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/lcc/index.htm> <http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/lcc/index.htm>> Love and regards,> Sreeandh> > , "sunil nair"> astro_tellerkerala@ wrote:> Hare ramakrishna> > dear sunil bhattacharjya ji> > I too heard abt yallaya but not sure abt origins may sreenadh ji may b> able to help us> > now i searched wiki and i find this informations on koodiyatham ( they> were staging almost all dramas including mricha kateegam ( if my memory> is correct ) .> > > > Koodiyattam or Kutiyattam (pronounced [kuËʈijaËʈËam]> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA> ) is a form of Sanskrit theatre> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanskrit_theatre> traditionally performed> in the state of Kerala <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala> , India> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India> . Performed in the Sanskrit> language in Hindu <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu> temples, it is> believed to be at 2000 years old. It is officially recognised by UNESCO> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNESCO> as a Masterpiece of the Oral and> Intangible Heritage of Humanity> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpieces_of_the_Oral_and_Intangible_He\> ritage_of_Humanity> .> > Origin> > Koodiyattam[kutiyattam], meaning 'combined acting' signifies Sanskrit> drama presented in the traditional style in temple theatres of Kerala> and is the only surviving specimen of the ancient Sanskrit theatre. It> has an attested history of a thousand years in Kerala, but its origin> and evolution are shrouded in mystery. It seems that Kutiyattam is an> amalgam of the classical sanskrit theatre of ancient India and the> regional theatre of Kerala. It is believed that Kulasekhara Varman> Cheraman Perumal, an ancient king of Kerala, who ruled from> Mahodayapuram [modern Kodungallur] reformed Koodiyattam, introducing the> local language for Vidusaka and structuring presentation of the play to> well defined units. He himself wrote two plays, Subhadraharana and> Tapatisamvarana and made arrangements for their presentation on stage> with the help of a Brahmin friend of him called Tolan. These plays are> still presented on stage. Apart from these, the plays traditionally> presented include Ascaryacudamani of Saktibhadra, Kalyanasaugandhika of> Nilakantha, Bhagavadajjuka of Bodhayana, Nagananda of Harsa, and many> plays ascribed to Bhasa including Abhiseka and Pratima. The Kutiyattam> performance was confined to the temple precincts of Kerala in specialy> constructed theatres called Kutampalams.> > also this wat i find abt mriccha katigam.> > ---> > Mricchakatika (The Little Clay Cart)> Main article: Mrichakatika <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrichakatika>> One of the earliest known Sanskrit plays, this play is thought to have> been composed by ?Shudraka <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%9Ahudraka> > in the 2nd century BC <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2nd_century_BC> .> Rife with romance, sex, royal intrigue and comedy, the juicy plot of the> play has numerous twists and turns. The main story is about a young man> named Charudatta, and his love for Vasantasena, a rich courtesan or> nagarvadhu <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagarvadhu> . The love affair> is complicated by a royal courtier, who is also attracted to> Vasantasena. The plot is further complicated by thieves and mistaken> identities, and thus making it a greatly hilarious and entertaining> play. It invited widespread admiration when staged in New York in 1924.> The play was made into a 1984 Hindi> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bollywood> movie Utsav> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utsav> , directed by Girish Karnad> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girish_Karnad> . The Indian play depicted> in the film Moulin Rouge! <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulin_Rouge%21>> may have been based on The Little Clay Cart.> > > > Thanks and rgrds sunil nair> > > > om shreem mahalaxmai namah> > > > > , Sunil Bhattacharjya> sunil_bhattacharjya@ wrote:> >> > Dear Sunil Nairji,> >> > I thank you for the information on "koodiyattam".I think the> astronomer Yallaya was from Kerala or Karnataka. As regards the date of> Shudraka my best guess will be the 18th or 19th century BCE.> >> > Regards,> >> > Sunil K. Bhattacharjya> >> >> >> > > > sunil nair astro_tellerkerala@> > > > Sunday, August 10, 2008 11:31:11 AM> > Re: Sun+Moon in Same Sign Same> Navamsa> >> >> >> > Hare rama krishna> > dear sunil bhattacharya ji> >> > sreenadh ji will answer u doubts if it is possible by him ,but pls> allow me to interfere .> >> > just a peice of information i wanted to share with u ,the dance drama> of kerala known as koodiyattam is using full sanksrit dailogues and its> even recognised by UN ( united nations ) and they hav declared as a> monument status with heritage which is shud b preserved .So giving all> the funding to support it and its artists ,and its said that it is> minimum 2000 yrs old .So this is a living proof .Mricha katteegam i was> knowing abt it ,but sorry my memory is weak now .> >> > regrds sunil nair> > om shreem mahalaxmai namah> >> >> >> > ancient_indian_ astrology, Sunil> Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:> > >> > > Dear Sreenadhji,> > >> > > Namaste,> > >> > > 1)> > > I understand from Shri Arun Upadhyayji that the astronomer Yallaya> (or Yallya) some 400 years ago wrote "Jyotish Darpana", where Yallaya> gave a sloka regarding the date of Shudraka, the writer of the ancient> masterpiece "Mricchakatika. This date is important for those interested> in the history of Sanskrit literature. All my efforts to locate that> book failed. Have you or any other member of our forum seen this book?> > > 2)> > > Secondly I have read that Atharva Veda Parisishtha (53.3.5) has said> that eclipses occurring in thirteen days is ominous. This is also a> proof that the there is astrological prediction in the Vedas. It will be> good if we can have this reference also.> > >> > > Regards,> > >> > > skb> > >>

Dear Sreenadhji,

You opening up great avenues for the members. Please keep it up.

With warm regards,

Col.Chandran

--- On Mon, 8/11/08, Sreenadh <sreesog wrote:

Sreenadh <sreesog

Re: Sudraka/Mrischakatika/astronomer

Yallaya/Atharva Veda Parisishtha (53.3.5)

Monday, August 11, 2008, 12:01 PM

Dear Sunil ji and Sunil Bhattacharjya ji,

Some more interesting links (search for Shudraka as well) -

1) http://www.utahkris hnas.com/ main/page. asp?id=2933 

2) http://sahitibharad waj.rediffiland. com/blogs/ 2007/04/25/ Walking-down-

the-lanes- of.html 

3) http://www.indiaher itage.org/ creative/ creative_ literature_ sanskrit. htm

4) http://www.iloveind ia.com/literatur e/sanskrit/ plays/index. html

5) http://www.kamat. com/kalranga/ itihas/guptas. htm

Those who are not interested in history and literature may pardon for this

link mania.

Love and regards,

Sreenadh

Dear Bhaskaran ji and Chandran ji, Thanks. Love and regards,Sreenadh

Dear Sreenadhji,

// Those who are not interested in history and literature may pardon for this link mania. //

Let this mania be. I thouroughly enjoyed those links on the Rishis of the past, which you put a couple of days ago. I just need to spend some time enjoying the write ups on those. But have opened each and kept on Favourites. Any single individual may not find all the Links you put up, to his taste, BUT all Links would find someone or the other interested in it .

Thus no such effort is wasted or goes futile.

best wishes,

Bhaskaran. , skm chandran <colchandran wrote:>> Dear Sreenadhji,> You opening up great avenues for the members. Please keep it up.> With warm regards,> Col.Chandran> > --- On Mon, 8/11/08, Sreenadh sreesog wrote:> > Sreenadh sreesog Re: Sudraka/Mrischakatika/astronomer Yallaya/Atharva Veda Parisishtha (53.3.5)> > Monday, August 11, 2008, 12:01 PM> > > Dear Sunil ji and Sunil Bhattacharjya ji,> ? Some more interesting links (search for Shudraka as well) -> ? 1) http://www.utahkris hnas.com/ main/page. asp?id=2933 > 2) http://sahitibharad waj.rediffiland. com/blogs/ 2007/04/25/ Walking-down- the-lanes- of.html > 3) http://www.indiaher itage.org/ creative/ creative_ literature_ sanskrit. htm> ? 4) http://www.iloveind ia.com/literatur e/sanskrit/ plays/index. html> 5) http://www.kamat. com/kalranga/ itihas/guptas. htm> ? Those who are not interested in history and literature may pardon for this link mania.> Love and regards,> Sreenadh>