IndiaDivine.org

Theory vs Practice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Group,Many of us have been fortunate to learn astrology from a Guru or Gurus, while for some books have been their first Gurus. After the formal learning, books and shastras become the guides for everyone and we enter the arena of reading charts and practicing. The more we practice, the more we realize that the books and Shastras are far more rigid than the charts in hand and the people they represent. We feel something is wrong, either with the books or the dictums, or else with the people. This is the time when we stop reading and start observing.

Our ancestors have left us with a great tradition and legacy. We are proud to stand on their shoulders as we practice this divine science. But that tradition at times gets clogged and stiff and set in certain ways. We then try to reach a little further, to redefine the principles yet again, to see them more clearly, more in harmony with the ebb and flow of human experience.

When we interact with a stranger and his birth-chart, together they become our real gurus and rarely fail to teach us something new. People come to us from different professions, different strata and with different problems. Through astrology, we get to see the human common denominators beneath the masks of circumstance.

We get to know that the most universal of those common denominators is the desire. The desire to "make my life better." And we learn to help people fulfill their desires, to help them grow, to help them answer their own questions in happier ways.

Astrology becomes an absorbing journey into a shadowy borderland -- a place where cosmos and consciousness touch: the human psyche. Balancing human psyche becomes the key. This separates true astrology from other types of sooth-sayings. A fixed lagna can be told to be more accommodating while a cardinal sign can learn to be more fixed on his decisions. Transformations like this become the goal of a real astrologer.

Anyone can learn astrology by reading some basic book. It may be like learning a new language. The words are unfamiliar. But the meaning behind them is universal. It however, makes no sense till tested on the terrain. Real skill comes with experience, experience with awareness. Astrological knowledge, when applied on the birth charts then becomes life's decoder. It breaks the code. The chaos, the pain, and the seeming randomness of our lives coalesce before our eyes into an orderly system. And once we grasp that system, we spend a lot less time swimming against the tide.

Astrology supplies the terrain. How we navigate through it, is our own modus operandi.RegardsNeelam

A down to earth and reality post. Thank you.

I myself was grappling with books which were my first Guru for 15 years.

I did learn a good deal through them, but when it came down to predicting, i was always unsure of the rule to pick up from the plethora of hundreds of them. Confusions were abound. Contradictions were abound . Multiple choices were abound. Generalisatons were abound. That is the story of the traditional rules without a Guru.

Then i met the proper gurus, out of which one Guru taught

me how to check the chart, identify the event and time it, much

better than what I was doing before. This of course does

not make the education complete. I have yet to study 4-6

hours daily for the next 5 years, if I wish to satisfy myself averagely.

because the Guru shows us he way, treading on the path, is our work.

Today I can read and unerstand almost all the books. I can enjoy them.

i can take in the essence portrayed by the writer. All this can

come only through the Guru. I advise all the new entrants to

find themselves one Guru .

My own guru, I do not meet him more than once a year, and that

too just for few minutes, but the start he has given me is, enough for

me to continue for life times.

best wishes,

Bhaskar.

, "neelam gupta" <neelamgupta07 wrote:>> Dear Group,> > Many of us have been fortunate to learn astrology from a Guru or Gurus,> while for some books have been their first Gurus. After the formal learning,> books and shastras become the guides for everyone and we enter the arena of> reading charts and practicing. The more we practice, the more we realize> that the books and Shastras are far more rigid than the charts in hand and> the people they represent. We feel something is wrong, either with the books> or the dictums, or else with the people. This is the time when we stop> reading and start observing.> > Our ancestors have left us with a great tradition and legacy. We are proud> to stand on their shoulders as we practice this divine science. But that> tradition at times gets clogged and stiff and set in certain ways. We then> try to reach a little further, to redefine the principles yet again, to see> them more clearly, more in harmony with the ebb and flow of human> experience.> > When we interact with a stranger and his birth-chart, together they become> our real gurus and rarely fail to teach us something new. People come to us> from different professions, different strata and with different problems.> Through astrology, we get to see the human common denominators beneath the> masks of circumstance.> > We get to know that the most universal of those common denominators is the> desire. The desire to "make my life better." And we learn to help people> fulfill their desires, to help them grow, to help them answer their own> questions in happier ways.> > Astrology becomes an absorbing journey into a shadowy borderland -- a place> where cosmos and consciousness touch: the human psyche. Balancing human> psyche becomes the key. This separates true astrology from other types of> sooth-sayings. A fixed lagna can be told to be more accommodating while a> cardinal sign can learn to be more fixed on his decisions. Transformations> like this become the goal of a real astrologer.> > Anyone can learn astrology by reading some basic book. It may be like> learning a new language. The words are unfamiliar. But the meaning behind> them is universal. It however, makes no sense till tested on the terrain.> Real skill comes with experience, experience with awareness. Astrological> knowledge, when applied on the birth charts then becomes life's decoder. It> breaks the code. The chaos, the pain, and the seeming randomness of our> lives coalesce before our eyes into an orderly system. And once we grasp> that system, we spend a lot less time swimming against the tide.> > *Astrology supplies the terrain. How we navigate through it, is our own> modus operandi.*> > Regards> Neelam>