IndiaDivine.org

The dharmic basis of jyotish

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Sunil Nairji, Bhaskarji and Sreenadhji,

Because of Bhaskarji's question on the postiion of the pole star,I am writing this mail.This mail perhaps will be last one for the time being.I have changed the title so it sounds more relevant.What is the basis of jyotish? I have also found sunilji as a innocent person so I will today go in more details about the religious basis of jyotish.

1.From the point of religion, the hindu char dham( four pilgrimages) is important.The northern dham is known as Badri- kedar and the shankarachary dwells there in joshi math.I think this surely is the religious basis of jyotish.Why did Adi shankaracharya establilsh the jyoshi math or jyotish math there.Because that is symbolic of north pole and the northernmost point nearest to the pole star.We further enumerate the importance of the pole star.

2.Now we also know that Brihaspati is the guru of the gods.He is also the guru of the jyotishis.His wife's name is Tara.I think this tara is non other than the pole star.Then what is guru? Guru is the earth axis pointing to the pole star in the sky. If one wants to see thpole star from kerala, we see it just about 10 derees above the northern horizon.

3.In the Ramayan also Tara is mentioned. Here this is the wife of sugriva.Hanuman is able to travel to lanka because of tara.the pole star fixes teh uttrayan and the dakhinayan.when hanuman jumps across the ocean the jump is from uttarayan to dakhinayan.

4.In the list of five types of months sreenadhji had written 'Arun' as one type of month.This is the month of maagha which is the first month after uttarayan. Now it is said that Arun had two sons whose names were jatayu and sampadi.It wa sampadi who showed hanuman where to find sita.Thus from this, we can say that hanuman jumped from uttaryan to dakhinayan.

5.Mr sunil nair has said that he is disturbed by the calender issue even in his meditation.the act of meditation is mentioned in one story as 'uttanpada' in Bhagvatam.This means when we put our feet facing up, while sitting in meditation in padma asana.The first son of uttanpada is said to be dhruva from hi wife su-niti meaning good 'niti' or ethics.thus the first result of metationis thepole star.Then dhruva had his step mother named as su-ruchi meaning our 'liking'.to satisfy his step mother he goes to meditate and gets the param pada ie absolute status of vishnu, in six months.This means when a line is drawn from utarayan to dakhinayan we have to cross six months.

6.We all know that jyotish is based on lagan rashi.Now if we think of the total lagan in 24 hours, the sun and the moon and the stars rise in the aest and go to the west every day.What is the centre around which all these bodies travel ?.It is of course the pole star.You will see that the whole sky makes a circle every day around th pole star which appears to be fixed in heaven as the centre of the sky.Thus being above the earth axis, it is known as dhruva meaing the axial.Thus the pole star is the true basis of jyotish from varius angles. Then why there is so much irrittion on setting the uttaryan and dakhinayan right so that our jyotish and festivals both become accurate? Since we get our direction from the pole star if we forget it we will surely be directionless, which seems to be the stauts of our religious calender and jyotish shastra at present.

Thank you Nairji ,Bhaskarji and Sreenadjhji.Goodbye,

Hari Malla

Sreenadh <sreesog Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:43:01 AM Re: Calender reform

Dear Sunil ji, That was an eye opener about Kaulian tactics. :)Love and regards,Sreenadhancient_indian_ astrology, "sunil nair" <astro_tellerkerala@ ...> wrote:>> > > > dear respected bhaskar ji> > i was keeping quiet to this blabberings and indiscreet talks in the name> of calender strted again today after they failed to produce anything and> even a calender which i was challenging all this yrs ,becauase i hav so> many things to do and even this malla ji s nuisance mails is affecting> our day to day prayers and meditations too ,it becomes so easy for many> to join in astrology grps because we try to maintain some satwikness in> our approach and activities and they think it as weakness> > > > if some ppl r determined to disturb

astrologers then may b we hav to> strt our own jihad i blv ,this is too much and height of extreme> arrogance .> > did he ever tried his own suggestions in his calendrical way .> > malla ji says> > """we must coordinate four things,the sun,(solar date) the moon(tithi or> lunar date), the pole star(uttarayan or season) and the nakshyatras(> sidereal maghaa nakshyatra). """""> > """"Vedanga Jyotish says,when the sun and the moon rise toether in> dhanistha, then the five years yuga, the month of maagha, tapa sukla> pakshya and uttrayan start together""""> > sun and moon in dhanishta nakhstra> > just waisting time of others and it will come around feb 6th to sun to> atleast come to dhanishta and that time moon will b in taurus rohini> nakshtra and then calculate how many days it will take to come to> dhanishta

nakshtra by the time sun will move out of dhanishta ,now they> will come with another excuse of tropical calenders ,again tropical> calenders dont hav nakshtra ?? so how again it is possible> > and both the case where is Uttarayana here ,where is makara samkranti ??> where is tapa here and where is magha maasa ??> > > > kaul says uttarayan strt with 22nd dec and now he wants on feb 6 ,my> foot ,r we in some mental assylum ?? phew ennough is enough> > is zodiac is some grandpa ancient wooden clock we used to change its> hands at our wish and will> > > > > > where is pole star did he know atleast nursery lessons in chart making> ?? did he learned sputayana ?? atleast ??forget abt astronmical> treatises called surya sidhantha and other granthas> > > > they know only to call others

charlattans or frauds who ever contributed> to hindu sastras as it is a block to their missions in india and world> at large ,i know some ppl after talking to me and after i convinced them> first thing they r doing is applying for de baptisation ,so this sastra> has to b eradicated frm earth that is the mission in the name of> calenders and hindu festivals .> > > > he and kaulians has lost everything they become realy Niradhar and gone> to bananas> > > > now again coming with blah blah blah theories .> > when u answer them tru quotes and vedas they get orgasam as they can> twist it and quote all western centric authors and make us to answer> even why u worship monkey god where as i was always using diffrnt> approach a layman's or a uneducated hindu farmers approach .or riksha> pullers approach .Ask some innocent

questions> > > > it is where he run away ,other wise many many big scholars failed with> them because finaly they stops ,because no body can suffer this verbal> daiorria> > > > rgrds sunil nair

Guest guest

Dear Enemy wrestler ji, //What is the dharmic basis of jyotish?// Hope that you mean 'religious basis' by the words 'dharmic basis'. Is so, simply put - astrology is a religion in itself, with its own unique ideology. (Hope you could grasp this statement). Even though an independent stream with its own philosophy/ideology astrology is has the capability and caliber to adjust and accept the other numerous ideologies and philosophies within Hindu dhaarma and staill preserve its uniqueness till date. That is the power of this stream of thought. Determination of proper (i.e. exactly repeating) time period for religious activitis (whether it be be Vedic or non-vedic; whether it be Yaga, Homa, festival, or namakarana, birth or death ceremoney) was the prime use of astrology as far as relions are concerned. But even though religions are concerned about astrology, astrology is not much concerned about them or base itself on them. For the common mass astrolgy served two non-religious purposes - * It was a tool for time keeping (as a civil calender) * It was a tool for knowing the future/destiny and adjust our own acts accordingly. From the astrological religious perspective (which is outside the vedic or non-vedic perspective), astrology is a religion in itself with its own philosophy, ideology, and theoretical basis. Another point to remember is that the word 'Dharma' does not actually mean 'religious' as you puts it. The true meaning of the word 'dharma' is 'nature'. If taken this way, your question itself becomes wrong. You are asking a wrong question! 'What is the dharmic basis of jyotish?' i.e. 'What is the nature basic of jyotish?' Do you mean to ask 'What is the true internal nature and purpose of jyotish?'. Like heat is the nature of fire, ofcourse evey this has its own unique nature. But to know it you need to touch and feel it - the true dharma cannot be imparted in words or taught. Same is true with astrology. If you want to 'know' true nature (internal spirituality, the soul), of astrology, then start learning it, start feeling it - you will know it naturally. Love and regards,Sreenadh , Hari Malla <harimalla wrote:>> Dear Sunil Nairji, Bhaskarji and Sreenadhji,> Because of Bhaskarji's question on the postiion of the pole star,I am writing this mail.This mail perhaps will be last one for the time being.I have changed the title so it sounds more relevant.What is the basis of jyotish? I have also found sunilji as a innocent person so I will today go in more details about the religious basis of jyotish.> 1.From the point of religion, the hindu char dham( four pilgrimages) is important.The northern dham is known as Badri- kedar and the shankarachary dwells there in joshi math.I think this surely is the religious basis of jyotish.Why did Adi shankaracharya establilsh the jyoshi math or jyotish math there.Because that is symbolic of north pole and the northernmost point nearest to the pole star.We further enumerate the importance of the pole star.> > 2.Now we also know that Brihaspati is the guru of the gods.He is also the guru of the jyotishis.His wife's name is Tara.I think this tara is non other than the pole star.Then what is guru? Guru is the earth axis pointing to the pole star in the sky. If one wants to see thpole star from kerala, we see it just about 10 derees above the northern horizon.> 3.In the Ramayan also Tara is mentioned. Here this is the wife of sugriva.Hanuman is able to travel to lanka because of tara.the pole star fixes teh uttrayan and the dakhinayan.when hanuman jumps across the ocean the jump is from uttarayan to dakhinayan.> 4.In the list of five types of months sreenadhji had written 'Arun' as one type of month.This is the month of maagha which is the first month after uttarayan. Now it is said that Arun had two sons whose names were jatayu and sampadi.It wa sampadi who showed hanuman where to find sita.Thus from this, we can say that hanuman jumped from uttaryan to dakhinayan.> > 5.Mr sunil nair has said that he is disturbed by the calender issue even in his meditation.the act of meditation is mentioned in one story as 'uttanpada' in Bhagvatam.This means when we put our feet facing up, while sitting in meditation in padma asana.The first son of uttanpada is said to be dhruva from hi wife su-niti meaning good 'niti' or ethics.thus the first result of metationis thepole star.Then dhruva had his step mother named as su-ruchi meaning our 'liking'.to satisfy his step mother he goes to meditate and gets the param pada ie absolute status of vishnu, in six months.This means when a line is drawn from utarayan to dakhinayan we have to cross six months.> > 6.We all know that jyotish is based on lagan rashi.Now if we think of the total lagan in 24 hours, the sun and the moon and the stars rise in the aest and go to the west every day.What is the centre around which all these bodies travel ?.It is of course the pole star.You will see that the whole sky makes a circle every day around th pole star which appears to be fixed in heaven as the centre of the sky.Thus being above the earth axis, it is known as dhruva meaing the axial.Thus the pole star is the true basis of jyotish from varius angles. Then why there is so much irrittion on setting the uttaryan and dakhinayan right so that our jyotish and festivals both become accurate? Since we get our direction from the pole star if we forget it we will surely be directionless, which seems to be the stauts of our religious calender and jyotish shastra at present.> Thank you Nairji ,Bhaskarji and Sreenadjhji.Goodbye,> Hari Malla