IndiaDivine.org

astrology NOT a science?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Shankara Bharadwaj ji, Yes, you are right. * Astrology is not a science but a holistic knowledge branch. It is a Sastra as per ancient definition of the word Sastra, since Sastra means 'ancient advice' (sasyate iti sastra) * Some subjects dealt within astrology has a possibility of getting accepted a science even though in a altered way, such as the correlation among circadian rhythm, breath pattern and astrology. * Science is not whole but only a part which cannot be complete without the holistic (integrative) knowledge branches. So just like Ayurveda, just like Psychology, just like homeopathy there is no need that astrology should try to become a science. The holistic knowledge branches such as Ayurveda, Psychology, homeopathy and astrology all have their own uniqueness and truthfullness, just like any Scientific knowledge branches. May be the following article could be useful in this regard: Sreenadh%20OG/Base_of_Astrology.pdfDear Kiran ji, Most of the major active members of this group had long interactions with Kaul and he himself was a member of this group for a long time. Kaul is a knowledgeable individual but a bad mouth with too much hatred towards astrologers and astrology - because he himself is a failed astrologer and was a Panchanga publisher for long. We don't agree to most of the arguments put forward by Kaul, but the effort to answer him has resulted in some good article by many members of this group - so eventhough we totally disagree on the approach and arguments of Kaul, we are thankful to him for forcing us to do some real work and study which resulted in some good articles. So please understand that everything has a positive side as well. If Kaul is mentioned so many times, then it means that he has some content, and he has collected some good data to substantiate his arguments - he was worthy to be an argumentative enemy and that is why he is. Hope you will see this point.Love and regards,Sreenadh , ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj wrote:>> No. First of all what is "a science"? What makes something "a science"? Its methods or bases or premises or explanations? What makes an explanation "scientific"? > > 1. Out of the four valid explanations in science (deductive, probabilistic, teleological and genetic), which of these is verifiable and/or refutable in astrology? > None. > 2. Has there been any effort so far to explain the theoretical bases of astrology according to these four? > None. In fact it does not even fall in the domain of these, for phalita jyotisha is essentially linked to destiny or future - and how astronomical phenomena coincide with or MIRROR it, and NOT how astronomical phenomena INFLUENCE it. > > Phalita jyotisha is a Sastra. Sastra involves multiple levels and facets - art, science and mysticism. Trying to explain it using any one of them is insufficient and futile. > > Shankara Bharadwaj> http://hindupedia.com> > > > > ________________________________> kiran dasaur kirandasaur astro > Monday, May 18, 2009 1:36:29 PM> astrology NOT a science????????> > > > > > O! my god!! I just coudn't get what was going on here...so many arguments... so much about the "other gang"of some MR.KAUL.!!.. .....so much anger ,,.so much sarcasm....! ! so much threatening !! ........well! ! today I just happened to stumble upon a mail in which I read that mr. Kaul was refering to Shri Haresh Nathani ji,> > Namaskar!> > U have said, "Vedic astrology is science, which gives scientific results based on placement of the nine planets in any of the twelve houses or bhava’s in a horoscope."> > > > > > Well, that is a good joke but it is a cruel one since it is at the cost of the sanctity of the Vedas! This joke has been going on for that last several centuries. As such, pl. coin some new joke now since people have become bored to death by such joke being repeated time and again!> > > > > > I know u know it in your heart of hearts that the so called Vedic astrology is actually the greatest fraud on the Vedas but u have no courage to say so openly! Pl. do brush up your knowledge by going through Rotary.doc in the files section> > > > Regards,> > A K Kaul> > > NOW I understand a little of what is going on here!!!> > PLZ don't mind Mr.Kaul,> BUT HOW can you say that astrology IS NOT A SCIENCE????? > I would definitely like to know what your LOGIC is, in saying that vedic or any astrology IS NOT SCIENCE...if you ARE READING THIS MAIL....or anybody who supports him...is reading this mail..plz forward this to him... & let him explain his views abt Y he doesn't consider Astrology 2 B a SCIENCE.!! for I have a short & simple answer...but I would definitely like 2 know his viewpoint first !!!!!>