IndiaDivine.org

There is nothing called Freewill - Einstein!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear All, Einstein and newton was of the opinion that there is nothing called free will. Ancient indian astrology or philosophy do not agree to this, even though we astrologers are usually the one who are blamed as "people against freewill, and determinists"! What a contrast! Check the following write-up of Einstein from: http://www.einstein-website.de/z_biography/credo.html Google with the words "Einstein on free will" you will get many such pages where he has expressed his lack of belief in freewill (and belief in determinism).Love and regards,Sreenadh ====================At the end of August 1932 Einstein wrote "My Credo" in Caputh. The original text was written in German. At the beginning of September he read it for a

recording by order and to the benefit of the German League of Human Rights.

My Credo

"It is a special blessing to belong

among those who can and may devote their best energies to the contemplation and

exploration of objective and timeless things. How happy and grateful I am for

having been granted this blessing, which bestows upon one a large measure of

independence from one's personal fate and from the attitude of one's

contemporaries. Yet this independence must not inure us to the awareness of the

duties that constantly bind us to the past, present and future of humankind at

large.

Our situation on this earth seems

strange. Every one of us appears here, involuntarily and uninvited, for a short

stay, without knowing the why and the wherefore. In our daily lives we feel only

that man is here for the sake of others, for those whom we love and for many

other beings whose fate is connected with our own. I am often troubled by the

thought that my life is based to such a large extent on the work of my fellow

human beings, and I am aware of my great indebtedness to them.

I do not believe in free will.

Schopenhauer's words: 'Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he

wills,' accompany me in all situations throughout my life and reconcile me with

the actions of others, even if they are rather painful to me. This awareness of

the lack of free will keeps me from taking myself and my fellow men too

seriously as acting and deciding individuals, and from losing my temper.

I have never coveted affluence and

luxury and even despise them a good deal. My passion for social justice has

often brought me into conflict with people, as has my aversion to any obligation

and dependence I did not regard as absolutely necessary. I have a high regard

for the individual and an insuperable distaste for violence and fanaticism. All

these motives have made me a passionate pacifist and antimilitarist. I am

against any chauvinism, even in the guise of mere patriotism.

Privileges based on position and

property have always seemed to me unjust and pernicious, as does any exaggerated

personality cult. I am an adherent of the ideal of democracy, although I know

well the weaknesses of the democratic form of government. Social equality and

economic protection of the individual have always seemed to me the important

communal aims of the state.

Although I am a typical loner in daily

life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who

strive for truth, beauty, and justice keeps me from feeling isolated.

The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as of all serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this

is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at

these secrets and to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the

lofty structure of all there is."

Courtesy of the Albert Einstein

Archives, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.====================

Guest guest

Dear Sreenadh Ji,

A great collection indeed. Its really a very good and thought provoking article.

When we really dont know in how many aspects of life the so called free will works out, even if it works out how far i meant upto what extent it will give the results. there wont be any use to anyone and nobody gets the true knowledge unless until we understand the hidden mysteries of universe, birth, etc.

The great chanakya him self said that......

These five: the life-span, the type of work, wealth, learning and the time of one's death are determined while one is in the womb.(Chapter Four, First Stanza, Chanakya Niti Shastra).

If we examine the above stanza from chanakya niti shastra, almost all the major aspects of life are predetermined according to our previous Karma... Even our thinking process and emotions are predetermined as i understood. Because learning needs it.

My question is where does the chance lie to influence the next birth in this birth? I suppose that chance as the free will but how much ever i think about it i can not get any clue on it. where does that chance actually lie, in which form or in which aspects of life?

What kind of karma prompted a person to take birth in a particular gender, particular location, particular family and etc.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Sai Krishna.

--- On Thu, 28/5/09, Sreenadh <sreesog wrote:

Sreenadh <sreesog "There is nothing called Freewill" - Einstein! Date: Thursday, 28 May, 2009, 1:39 PM

Dear All, Einstein and newton was of the opinion that there is nothing called free will. Ancient indian astrology or philosophy do not agree to this, even though we astrologers are usually the one who are blamed as "people against freewill, and determinists" ! What a contrast! Check the following write-up of Einstein from: http://www.einstein -website. de/z_biography/ credo.html Google with the words "Einstein on free will" you will get many such pages where he has expressed his lack of belief in freewill (and belief in determinism) .Love and regards,Sreenadh ============ ========

At the end of August 1932 Einstein wrote "My Credo" in Caputh. The original text was written in German. At the beginning of September he read it for a recording by order and to the benefit of the German League of Human Rights.

My Credo

"It is a special blessing to belong among those who can and may devote their best energies to the contemplation and exploration of objective and timeless things. How happy and grateful I am for having been granted this blessing, which bestows upon one a large measure of independence from one's personal fate and from the attitude of one's contemporaries. Yet this independence must not inure us to the awareness of the duties that constantly bind us to the past, present and future of humankind at large.

Our situation on this earth seems strange. Every one of us appears here, involuntarily and uninvited, for a short stay, without knowing the why and the wherefore. In our daily lives we feel only that man is here for the sake of others, for those whom we love and for many other beings whose fate is connected with our own. I am often troubled by the thought that my life is based to such a large extent on the work of my fellow human beings, and I am aware of my great indebtedness to them.

I do not believe in free will. Schopenhauer' s words: 'Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wills,' accompany me in all situations throughout my life and reconcile me with the actions of others, even if they are rather painful to me. This awareness of the lack of free will keeps me from taking myself and my fellow men too seriously as acting and deciding individuals, and from losing my temper.

I have never coveted affluence and luxury and even despise them a good deal. My passion for social justice has often brought me into conflict with people, as has my aversion to any obligation and dependence I did not regard as absolutely necessary. I have a high regard for the individual and an insuperable distaste for violence and fanaticism. All these motives have made me a passionate pacifist and antimilitarist.. I am against any chauvinism, even in the guise of mere patriotism.

Privileges based on position and property have always seemed to me unjust and pernicious, as does any exaggerated personality cult. I am an adherent of the ideal of democracy, although I know well the weaknesses of the democratic form of government. Social equality and economic protection of the individual have always seemed to me the important communal aims of the state.

Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice keeps me from feeling isolated.

The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as of all serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at these secrets and to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the lofty structure of all there is."

Courtesy of the Albert Einstein Archives, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.============ ========

Explore your hobbies and interests. Click here to begin.

Guest guest

Dear Sai Krishna ji, A similar discussion happened in this group earlier is documented at: AIA Website: Astrological Reading vs Fate and Free willLove and regards,Sreenadh , neo spiritualist <neospiritualist wrote:>> Dear Sreenadh Ji,> > A great collection indeed. Its really a very good and thought provoking article.> When we really dont know in how many aspects of life the so called free will works out, even if it works out how far i meant upto what extent it will give the results. there wont be any use to anyone and nobody gets the true knowledge unless until we understand the hidden mysteries of universe, birth, etc.> > The great chanakya him self said that......> > These five: the life-span, the type of work, wealth, learning and the time of one's death are determined while one is in the womb.(Chapter Four, First Stanza, Chanakya Niti Shastra).> > If we examine the above stanza from chanakya niti shastra, almost all the major aspects of life are predetermined according to our previous Karma.. Even our thinking process and emotions are predetermined as i understood. Because learning needs it.> My question is where does the chance lie to influence the next birth in this birth? I suppose that chance as the free will but how much ever i think about it i can not get any clue on it. where does that chance actually lie, in which form or in which aspects of life?> What kind of karma prompted a person to take birth in a particular gender, particular location, particular family and etc. > > Thank you very much.> > Regards,> Sai Krishna.

Guest guest

Respected Sh Sreenadh ji,

Though I do not wants to give my comments on the topic but I cant resist my self to register my comment on free will.

I have full respect for Einstein and Newton, even for Pythagoras. But I am sorry to say that whatever they have said that is available in our ancient literature. Unfortunately we are not proud of our literature and our government and people does not support the same. Every learned scientist and educated person looks toward the west and thinks that they are the right.When the west scientist and learned thinks only in terms of material, how they can know about the spiritual world. In spiritual world there is supreme soul and we are the part of the supreme soul. The supreme soul is all powerful and all pervading, it cannot be burnt and so on. The creation is energy, (soul) and material. The west know only the material side and do not know the other side, the spiritual world, the energy. The individual soul being part of the supreme soul has some powers as supreme soul. So we are independent to act with in certain limits. We are bound by our past

karma but desire to be independent, supreme soul. So I do not like to expand my email. therefore we have free-will in nut shell.--- On Thu, 5/28/09, Sreenadh <sreesog wrote:

Sreenadh <sreesog "There is nothing called Freewill" - Einstein! Date: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 1:39 PM

Dear All, Einstein and newton was of the opinion that there is nothing called free will. Ancient indian astrology or philosophy do not agree to this, even though we astrologers are usually the one who are blamed as "people against freewill, and determinists"! What a contrast! Check the following write-up of Einstein from: http://www.einstein-website.de/z_biography/credo.html Google with the words "Einstein on free will" you will get many such pages where he has expressed his lack of belief in freewill (and belief in determinism).Love and regards,Sreenadh ====================

At the end of August 1932 Einstein wrote "My Credo" in Caputh. The original text was written in German. At the beginning of September he read it for a recording by order and to the benefit of the German League of Human Rights.

My Credo

"It is a special blessing to belong among those who can and may devote their best energies to the contemplation and exploration of objective and timeless things. How happy and grateful I am for having been granted this blessing, which bestows upon one a large measure of independence from one's personal fate and from the attitude of one's contemporaries. Yet this independence must not inure us to the awareness of the duties that constantly bind us to the past, present and future of humankind at large.

Our situation on this earth seems strange. Every one of us appears here, involuntarily and uninvited, for a short stay, without knowing the why and the wherefore. In our daily lives we feel only that man is here for the sake of others, for those whom we love and for many other beings whose fate is connected with our own. I am often troubled by the thought that my life is based to such a large extent on the work of my fellow human beings, and I am aware of my great indebtedness to them.

I do not believe in free will. Schopenhauer's words: 'Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wills,' accompany me in all situations throughout my life and reconcile me with the actions of others, even if they are rather painful to me. This awareness of the lack of free will keeps me from taking myself and my fellow men too seriously as acting and deciding individuals, and from losing my temper.

I have never coveted affluence and luxury and even despise them a good deal. My passion for social justice has often brought me into conflict with people, as has my aversion to any obligation and dependence I did not regard as absolutely necessary. I have a high regard for the individual and an insuperable distaste for violence and fanaticism. All these motives have made me a passionate pacifist and antimilitarist. I am against any chauvinism, even in the guise of mere patriotism.

Privileges based on position and property have always seemed to me unjust and pernicious, as does any exaggerated personality cult. I am an adherent of the ideal of democracy, although I know well the weaknesses of the democratic form of government. Social equality and economic protection of the individual have always seemed to me the important communal aims of the state.

Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and justice keeps me from feeling isolated.

The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as of all serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at these secrets and to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the lofty structure of all there is."

Courtesy of the Albert Einstein Archives, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.====================

Guest guest

Thank you Khursija ji for sharing your views which I support. Without a certain independence soul cannot progress further for future development.Our scriptures say, Avashyameva Bhoktaavyam kritam shubha shubham. And this is governed by the Law of Karma. A jeev is born to enjoy or suffer his previous karmas. Since previous karmas cannot be changed, the matter seems to be closed for any further rectification. But the soul also has to progress on the future path for which it must have a free hand to perform certain karmas which are not ordained.

Destiny, the destination of soul as it implies, has been rather loosely dealt with when we are trying to see it with the eyes of Jyotisha. Any happening, big or small, is not destiny per se, but is a stitch in the pattern of life to make it whole. And every stitch is meticulously made by our karmas, of which some are governed by previous karmas and are fixed, we call them dridh karmas, some are adridh karmas which have a limited flexibility and the kriyamaan karmas provide the larger ground of freewill.

Osho, in his discourse ‘Astrology: A Door to Religiousness’ has explained this same principle in his inimitable style. He divides these as core areas, in-between areas and the peripheral issues. Astrology, according to him deals with the essential issues or the core areas. Some excerpts from his discourse which is available at the AIA site:

//////////OSHO says:...So there are three areas of life. In one area, that which is the essential core, everything is predetermined. Knowing this is knowing the essence of astrology. In another area, that which is peripheral, everything is uncertain. To know this is to know the everyday unpredictable world. There is another area which is in the middle. By knowing this, a person can save himself from trying to do the impossible, and can do what is possible. If a person lives in the peripheral and middle areas in such a way that he begins to move towards the center, he will become religious. But if he lives in such a way that he is never able to move towards the center, his life will remain irreligious.

For example, a person is preparing to steal. Stealing is not predetermined; it can’t be claimed that stealing is inevitable or unavoidable, there is complete freedom whether to steal or not. But once stealing has been committed, it is as if one foot has been lifted and the other foot remains on the earth: after doing it, you cannot undo the act. And the total effect of the act of stealing will spread over the personality of the person who did it. But as long as stealing is not done, the other alternative is present and available

The mind of a person swings between yes and no. If he says yes, he will be thrown towards the periphery; if he says no, he will move towards the center. Thus, in the middle, there is a choice. If he makes a wrong choice he is thrown towards the periphery; if he makes a right choice he moves towards the center, towards that part of astrology which is essential in life.

////////////

Regards

Neelam2009/5/29 S.C. Kursija <sckursija

Respected Sh Sreenadh ji,

Though I do not wants to give my comments on the topic but I cant resist my self to register my comment on free will.

I have full respect for Einstein and Newton, even for Pythagoras. But I am sorry to say that whatever they have said that is available in our ancient literature. Unfortunately we are not proud of our literature and our government and people does not support the same. Every learned scientist and educated person looks toward the west and thinks that they are the right.When the west scientist and learned thinks only in terms of material, how they can know about the spiritual world. In spiritual world there is supreme soul and we are the part of the supreme soul. The supreme soul is all powerful and all pervading, it cannot be burnt and so on. The creation is energy, (soul) and material. The west know only the material side and do not know the other side, the spiritual world, the energy. The individual soul being part of the supreme soul has some powers as supreme soul. So we are independent to act with in certain limits. We are bound by our past

karma but desire to be independent, supreme soul. So I do not like to expand my email. therefore we have free-will in nut shell.--- On Thu, 5/28/09, Sreenadh <sreesog wrote:

Sreenadh <sreesog " There is nothing called Freewill " - Einstein!

Date: Thursday, May 28, 2009, 1:39 PM

Dear All,   Einstein and newton was of the opinion that there is nothing called free will.  Ancient indian astrology or philosophy do not agree to this, even though we astrologers are usually the one who are blamed as " people against freewill, and determinists " ! What a contrast!

Check the following write-up of Einstein  from: http://www.einstein-website.de/z_biography/credo.html Google with the words " Einstein on free will " you will get many such pages where he has expressed his lack of belief in freewill (and belief in determinism).

Love and regards,Sreenadh ====================

At the end of August 1932 Einstein wrote " My Credo " in Caputh. The original text was written in German. At the beginning of September he read it for a recording by order and to the benefit of the German League of Human Rights.

My Credo

" It is a special blessing to belong among those who can and may devote their best energies to the contemplation and exploration of objective and timeless things. How happy and grateful I am for having been granted this blessing, which bestows upon one a large measure of independence from one's personal fate and from the attitude of one's contemporaries. Yet this independence must not inure us to the awareness of the duties that constantly bind us to the past, present and future of humankind at large.

I do not believe in free will. Schopenhauer's words: 'Man can do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wills,' accompany me in all situations throughout my life and reconcile me with the actions of others, even if they are rather painful to me. This awareness of the lack of free will keeps me from taking myself and my fellow men too seriously as acting and deciding individuals, and from losing my temper.

I have never coveted affluence and luxury and even despise them a good deal. My passion for social justice has often brought me into conflict with people, as has my aversion to any obligation and dependence I did not regard as absolutely necessary. I have a high regard for the individual and an insuperable distaste for violence and fanaticism. All these motives have made me a passionate pacifist and antimilitarist. I am against any chauvinism, even in the guise of mere patriotism.

The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as of all serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that can be experienced there is a something that our minds cannot grasp, whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at these secrets and to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the lofty structure of all there is. "

Courtesy of the Albert Einstein Archives, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel.====================

Guest guest

Madam Neelam Gupta,

Thanks for the support of my views. I hope others will also be proud of

their heritage and work to explore the same. The west is not the all.

Love and regards

--- On Fri, 5/29/09, neelam gupta <neelamgupta07 wrote:

neelam gupta <neelamgupta07

Re: " There is nothing called Freewill " -

Einstein!

Friday, May 29, 2009, 9:42 PM

Thank you Khursija ji for sharing your views which I support. Without a certain

independence soul cannot progress further for future development.

Our scriptures say, Avashyameva Bhoktaavyam kritam shubha shubham. And this is

governed by the Law of Karma. A jeev is born to enjoy or suffer his previous

karmas. Since previous karmas cannot be changed, the matter seems to be closed

for any further rectification. But the soul also has to progress on the future

path for which it must have a free hand to perform certain karmas which are not

ordained.

Destiny, the destination of soul as it implies, has been rather loosely dealt

with when we are trying to see it with the eyes of Jyotisha. Any happening, big

or small, is not destiny per se, but is a stitch in the pattern of life to make

it whole. And every stitch is meticulously made by our karmas, of which some are

governed by previous karmas and are fixed, we call them dridh karmas, some are

adridh karmas which have a limited flexibility and the kriyamaan karmas provide

the larger ground of freewill.

Osho, in his discourse ‘Astrology: A Door to Religiousness’ has explained

this same principle in his inimitable style. He divides these as core areas,

in-between areas and the peripheral issues. Astrology, according to him deals

with the essential issues or the core areas. Some excerpts from his discourse

which is available at the AIA site:

//////////

OSHO says:

....So there are three areas of life. In one area, that which is the essential

core, everything is predetermined. Knowing this is knowing the essence of

astrology. In another area, that which is peripheral, everything is uncertain.

To know this is to know the everyday unpredictable world. There is another area

which is in the middle. By knowing this, a person can save himself from trying

to do the impossible, and can do what is possible. If a person lives in the

peripheral and middle areas in such a way that he begins to move towards the

center, he will become religious. But if he lives in such a way that he is never

able to move towards the center, his life will remain irreligious.

For example, a person is preparing to steal. Stealing is not predetermined; it

can’t be claimed that stealing is inevitable or unavoidable, there is complete

freedom whether to steal or not. But once stealing has been committed, it is as

if one foot has been lifted and the other foot remains on the earth: after doing

it, you cannot undo the act. And the total effect of the act of stealing will

spread over the personality of the person who did it. But as long as stealing is

not done, the other alternative is present and available

The mind of a person swings between yes and no. If he says yes, he will be

thrown towards the periphery; if he says no, he will move towards the center.

Thus, in the middle, there is a choice. If he makes a wrong choice he is thrown

towards the periphery; if he makes a right choice he moves towards the center,

towards that part of astrology which is essential in life.

////////////

Regards

Neelam

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Dear ones,

what we are discussing rather talking is all X,Y Z's opinions/experiences or whatever.By quoting them we are just talking /thinking/believing etc .But in doing so i am afraid we are forgeting ourselves.We also have GOD GIVEN body/mind/soul apperatus.Let's ask ourselves sincerely and come out with something which may be a higher value than others.Lets put ourselves to test by using our own freewill if any.

Regards,

gopi.

-- In , neelam gupta <neelamgupta07 wrote:>> Thank you Khursija ji for sharing your views which I support. Without a> certain independence soul cannot progress further for future development.> > Our scriptures say, Avashyameva Bhoktaavyam kritam shubha shubham. And this> is governed by the Law of Karma. A jeev is born to enjoy or suffer his> previous karmas. Since previous karmas cannot be changed, the matter seems> to be closed for any further rectification. But the soul also has to> progress on the future path for which it must have a free hand to perform> certain karmas which are not ordained.> > Destiny, the destination of soul as it implies, has been rather loosely> dealt with when we are trying to see it with the eyes of Jyotisha. Any> happening, big or small, is not destiny per se, but is a stitch in the> pattern of life to make it whole. And every stitch is meticulously made by> our karmas, of which some are governed by previous karmas and are fixed, we> call them dridh karmas, some are adridh karmas which have a limited> flexibility and the kriyamaan karmas provide the larger ground of freewill.> > Osho, in his discourse `Astrology: A Door to Religiousness' has explained> this same principle in his inimitable style. He divides these as core areas,> in-between areas and the peripheral issues. Astrology, according to him> deals with the essential issues or the core areas. Some excerpts from his> discourse which is available at the AIA site:> > //////////> OSHO says:> > ...So there are three areas of life. In one area, that which is the> essential core, everything is predetermined. Knowing this is knowing the> essence of astrology. In another area, that which is peripheral, everything> is uncertain. To know this is to know the everyday unpredictable world.> There is another area which is in the middle. By knowing this, a person can> save himself from trying to do the impossible, and can do what is possible.> If a person lives in the peripheral and middle areas in such a way that he> begins to move towards the center, he will become religious. But if he lives> in such a way that he is never able to move towards the center, his life> will remain irreligious.> > For example, a person is preparing to steal. Stealing is not predetermined;> it can't be claimed that stealing is inevitable or unavoidable, there is> complete freedom whether to steal or not. But once stealing has been> committed, it is as if one foot has been lifted and the other foot remains> on the earth: after doing it, you cannot undo the act. And the total effect> of the act of stealing will spread over the personality of the person who> did it. But as long as stealing is not done, the other alternative is> present and available> > The mind of a person swings between yes and no. If he says yes, he will be> thrown towards the periphery; if he says no, he will move towards the> center. Thus, in the middle, there is a choice. If he makes a wrong choice> he is thrown towards the periphery; if he makes a right choice he moves> towards the center, towards that part of astrology which is essential in> life.> > ////////////> > Regards> Neelam> > 2009/5/29 S.C. Kursija sckursija > >> >> > Respected Sh Sreenadh ji,> > Though I do not wants to give my comments on the topic but I cant resist my> > self to register my comment on free will.> > I have full respect for Einstein and Newton, even for Pythagoras. But I am> > sorry to say that whatever they have said that is available in our ancient> > literature. Unfortunately we are not proud of our literature and our> > government and people does not support the same. Every learned scientist and> > educated person looks toward the west and thinks that they are the> > right.When the west scientist and learned thinks only in terms of material,> > how they can know about the spiritual world. In spiritual world there is> > supreme soul and we are the part of the supreme soul. The supreme soul is> > all powerful and all pervading, it cannot be burnt and so on. The creation> > is energy, (soul) and material. The west know only the material side and do> > not know the other side, the spiritual world, the energy. The individual> > soul being part of the supreme soul has some powers as supreme soul. So we> > are independent to act with in certain limits. We are bound by our past> > karma but desire to be independent, supreme soul. So I do not like to expand> > my email. therefore we have free-will in nut shell.> >> > --- On *Thu, 5/28/09, Sreenadh sreesog* wrote:> >> >> > Sreenadh sreesog > "There is nothing called Freewill" -> > Einstein!> > > > Thursday, May 28, 2009, 1:39 PM> >> >> >> > Dear All,> > Einstein and newton was of the opinion that there is nothing called free> > will. Ancient indian astrology or philosophy do not agree to this, even> > though we astrologers are usually the one who are blamed as "people against> > freewill, and determinists"! What a contrast!> > Check the following write-up of Einstein from:> > http://www.einstein-website.de/z_biography/credo.html> > Google with the words "Einstein on free will" you will get many such pages> > where he has expressed his lack of belief in freewill (and belief in> > determinism).> > Love and regards,> > Sreenadh> > ====================> > At the end of August 1932 Einstein wrote "My Credo" in Caputh. The original> > text was written in German. At the beginning of September he read it for a> > recording by order and to the benefit of the *German League of Human> > Rights*.> >> > My Credo> > "It is a special blessing to belong among those who can and may devote> > their best energies to the contemplation and exploration of objective and> > timeless things. How happy and grateful I am for having been granted this> > blessing, which bestows upon one a large measure of independence from one's> > personal fate and from the attitude of one's contemporaries. Yet this> > independence must not inure us to the awareness of the duties that> > constantly bind us to the past, present and future of humankind at large.> > Our situation on this earth seems strange. Every one of us appears here,> > involuntarily and uninvited, for a short stay, without knowing the why and> > the wherefore. In our daily lives we feel only that man is here for the sake> > of others, for those whom we love and for many other beings whose fate is> > connected with our own. I am often troubled by the thought that my life is> > based to such a large extent on the work of my fellow human beings, and I am> > aware of my great indebtedness to them.> > *I do not believe in free will. Schopenhauer's words: 'Man can do what he> > wants, but he cannot will what he wills,' accompany me in all situations> > throughout my life and reconcile me with the actions of others, even if they> > are rather painful to me. This awareness of the lack of free will keeps me> > from taking myself and my fellow men too seriously as acting and deciding> > individuals, and from losing my temper.*> > I have never coveted affluence and luxury and even despise them a good> > deal. My passion for social justice has often brought me into conflict with> > people, as has my aversion to any obligation and dependence I did not regard> > as absolutely necessary. I have a high regard for the individual and an> > insuperable distaste for violence and fanaticism. All these motives have> > made me a passionate pacifist and antimilitarist. I am against any> > chauvinism, even in the guise of mere patriotism.> > Privileges based on position and property have always seemed to me unjust> > and pernicious, as does any exaggerated personality cult. I am an adherent> > of the ideal of democracy, although I know well the weaknesses of the> > democratic form of government. Social equality and economic protection of> > the individual have always seemed to me the important communal aims of the> > state.> > Although I am a typical loner in daily life, my consciousness of belonging> > to the invisible community of those who strive for truth, beauty, and> > justice keeps me from feeling isolated.> > The most beautiful and deepest experience a man can have is the sense of> > the mysterious. It is the underlying principle of religion as well as of all> > serious endeavour in art and science. He who never had this experience seems> > to me, if not dead, then at least blind. To sense that behind anything that> > can be experienced there is a something that our minds cannot grasp, whose> > beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly: this is religiousness. In> > this sense I am religious. To me it suffices to wonder at these secrets and> > to attempt humbly to grasp with my mind a mere image of the lofty structure> > of all there is."> >> > [image: Einstein signature, 1932]> >> > Courtesy of the Albert Einstein Archives, Hebrew University of Jerusalem,> > Israel.> > ====================> >> >> >> >> > > >>