IndiaDivine.org

Vedanga Jyotisha and Rashi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear friends,Vedanga Jyotisha mentions Meena Rashi and states how by knowing the positions of Brihaspati in the other rashis one can calculate the remaining years in a 5-year Yuga. Any person knowing Sanskrit would know that the word "Rashayah"is in plural and that "Prabhriti Rashayah" refers to the other rashis. There is no need to name all the rashis in the text? Vedanga Jyotisha is for the scholars, who know what the twelve rashis are and it is not for the people who do not know the names of the other eleven rashis. Regards,Sunil K. Bhattacharjya.--- On Tue, 7/28/09, harimalla <harimalla wrote:harimalla <harimallaRe: [VRI] Vedana Jyotisha--Rashi mantra is spurioius and nothing but spurious!"Sunil Bhattacharjya" <sunil_bhattacharjyaTuesday, July 28, 2009, 9:09 AMDear Bhattacharjyaji,I would like to thank you for finding the verse or opinions of two scholars on the duration of the Brahmavda and Ayanavda, as 24ooo years.This has certainly given me the proof that one cycle of ayan can be considered as one kalpa.Thus one shift of one month during calendar reform is one manwantar from this point of view..Inspite of my gratefulness for the above, I feel you are wasting your

time just without any purpose for insisting about the rashis in vedanga jyotish.If in the whole vedanga jyotish, one word meen is mentioned, I do not undertstand how that substantiates that the 12 rashis were involved in vedanga jyotish.The rashis are 12 and one rashi even if mentioned cannnot substitute for all the rashis.Thus it is a futile excercise you are trying to defend against the popular belief that rashis were not in the vedanga jyotish.It is quite an insufficient excercise.Even the vedanga jyotish I have got does not contain the verse you have mentioned.So I think your devotion for the rashis is OK if it is limited to the puranas only. To insist that it is in the vedas, is in my view, just unnecessary stretching of the fact.So please forget the whole issue of how old the rashis are and understand the absolute necessity to reform our calendar to save our dharma by including the rashi, even if it is mentioned only in the

puranas, since the puranas also have become part of our culture.If you like please join the parvasudhar forum, where I have downloaded some write up on the need for the reformation of the Islamic calendar too, in addition the reformation of the Hindu calendar, to meeet the standards set by Vedanga jyotish.Thankyou,Regards,HAri MallaWAVES-Vedic , Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya wrote:>> Dear friends,>> Namaste,>> 1)> Yes it was I (S.K.Bhattacharjya) who said that the Vedanga Jyorisha (VJ) (which was edited by Dr. K.V.Sharma) and published by INSA is available on the Internet and that was because to my knowledge no other copy is available in the Internet. If Mr. A.K.Kaul kniws of any copy edited by any other editor he may

let us know.>> 2)> In the INSA copy the editor Dr. K.V.Sharma had relegated the Verse no. 4 of Yajur Vedanga Jyotisha (Y-VJ), which mentioned Meena rashi and sidelined it and commented in page 50 that it is patently an interpolated verse as Rashi is of foreign origin and came to India only during the 1st Century AD along with Greek astrology. However at the same time he stresses the importance of this verse and he says that this verse serves a useful purpose and that is why it is interpolated. Thus Dr.K.V.Sharma admittd that this verse is an essential verse but was relegated just because of the prejudice because of the thinking that the Rashis were not known to the Indians before 1st century AD (CE) This essential verse was substituted by bringing in the concluding verse no. 35 of Rig Vedanga Jyotisha (R-VJ), which is the unimportant concluding verse of RV-J as you can see yourself from the meaning of the verse as given

by Dr. K.V.Sharma himself as follows:>> R-VJ: 35 : "Like the combs of the peacocks and the crest jewels of the serpents so does the lore of Jyotisha stand at the head of all the lores forming the auxilliaries of the Vedas.">> 3)> Mr.A.K.Kaul does not know that Dr. Kuppanna Sastry died in 1978 and that his book was to be originally> published by the Bharataiya Vidya Bhavan but finally INSA got it edited> by Dr. K.V.Sharma and published it in 1984. That is why A.K.Kaul mentions about the Holay's book. which he did not know that it was published in 1986 (in Marathi) and in 1989 (in English), ie. several years after the publication of the INSA book. Similarly Dr Suresh Chndra Mishra's book was also published in 2003 ie nine years after the INSA book. Once the INSA book mentioned the maligned YVJ - 4 as interpolated the other authors also automatically followed suit and did not make an issue about it as long

the verse remained in the text. Incidentally Mr. Holay had imagined the presence of a 19-year yuga cycle in VJ but Dr. Abhyankar had proved it beyond doubt that Holay was wrong. However Mr. Chandrahari seems to support Holay.>> 4)> In the INSA book there is another unnumbered verse after verse no.43 This verse is important as it mentions that it is Lagadha's work. Dr. K.V.Sharma says in page 36 that in Weber's first edition this verse appeared unnumbered before the last verse 43 of Y-VJ buthe says that in Shama Sastry's book this verse is numbered 43 and the last verse as 44.>> Friends now you can see for yourself that original verse Y-VJ:4 was made verse no.5 without numbering and was looked down upon with suspicion by the people, who were holding Pingreean views and thus they have attempted to damage the Vedanga Jyotisha, which is considered the eye of the Veda.>> Regards,>>

Sunil K.Bhattacharjya>>> --- On Sun, 7/26/09, jyotirved <jyotirved wrote:>> jyotirved <jyotirved> [VRI] Vedana Jyotisha--Rashi mantra is spurioius and nothing but spurious!> vedic_research_institute > Cc: indian_astrology_group_daily_digest , hinducalendar > Sunday, July 26, 2009, 2:20 AM>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dear friends,>> Namastey!>> Below is a copy of Message No. 2807 by Shri S. Bhattacharjya> in WAVES-VEDIC forum.>> Then In message No. 2874 of June 26, 09, Shri Bhattacharjya> had said further:>> “ 6)INSA stands for Indian national Science Academy. The> Vedanga Jyotisha was published in their "Indian Journal of History of> Science, Vol.19, No. 4, Supplement. Their website is www.insa.ac. inâ€>> Now the same Shri Bhjattacharjya says that that work of INSA has> been published/edited under the influence of Pingree!>> These are the prevarications “Vedic astrologers†make!>> Surprisingly, Holay’s edition shows the Mina Rashi mantra as> spurious! Hindi edition of a Delhi

publisher shows that mantra as spurious! INSA> edition shows that mantra as spurious! S. B. Dikshit has just not thought it> fit even to refer to such a spurious mantra in his magnum opus, “History of> Indian astronomyâ€, and he has declared, like all the true scholars of eminence,> that there are no Rashis in the Vedas or the Vedanga Jyotisha! Somakar, the> earliest recorded Sanskrit commentator of an unknown era on the Vedanga> Jyotisha also has shown that mantra as spurious!>> Have all these commentators and translators been under> Pingree’s influence? Were Somakar of yore and S. B. Dikshit, a redoubtable> scholar of nineteenth century, also influenced by Pingree even before he> (Pingree)was born?>> >> In any case, why does Shri Bhjattacharjya not upload a copy> of the page, indicating

the edition and publisher, that contains the spurious> mantra as the original mantra, as claimed by Shri Bhattacharyjay and his mentor> in his post in AIA.>> With regards,>> A K Kaul>> **** ***

***** ***** ***** ***** ****>> >> #2807 in WAVES-VEDIC by Shri Sunil Bhattacharjya>> Dear

Sreenadhji,>> >> Thank you very much for such a comprehensive reply. I> am sending copies of this mail to the other groups also. Avinash Sathaye seems> to be an ardent admirer of Avtar Krishen Kaul and hence Sathaye> was doubting my mention of Vedanga Jyotisha and AKK also> seems to be conveniently conniving at the lapse of Sathaye. Thank you once> again.>> >> Regards,>> >> Sunil K. Bhattacharjya>>>> --- On Tue, 5/26/09, Sreenadh <sreesog@> wrote:>>>> Sreenadh <sreesog@>>> [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Fw: [VRI] Fwd: Reference for Rashi's in> Vedas>> ancient_indian_ astrology>> Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 6:41

PM>> Dear Sunil Bhattacharjya ji,>> Give him the following references . If more references are> required, that also is available.>> ============ ==>> AIA Website Article: Vendic Month Names>> Some preliminary evidence to prove the existence of Meshadi> month names in Vedic period is given below –>> 1) Take the Yajur> Vedanga Jyotisha text and read the 5th sloka. It reads as follows ->> Ye brihaspatina bhuktva MEENAN prabbriti rasayaH>> te hritaH panchabhiryataH yaH seshaH sa parigrihaH>> (Yajur Vedanga Jyotisha - sloka 5)>> [Take the sign count of Jupiter counting from Meena Rasi> (Pisces Sign), ............ .......etc] I believe you have noticed the words> 'Meenan prabhriti RasayaH' [signs counted from Meena Rasi (Pisces Sign)]. That>

proves the existence of signs like Meena, Mesha etc in Vedanga Jyotisha period.>>> 2) Take the Rk Vedanga> Jyotisha text next. Flip the pages to reach the 11th sloka. It reads –>> Sravishtabhyam gunabhyastan prag-viLAGNAN vinirdiset>> Suryat masan palabhyastan vidyacchandramasanr itun>> (Rk Vedanga Jyotisha - sloka 11)>> Please notice the words - "Prag vilangnan" (From> the eastern LAGNA; from the eastern RISING SIGN) "Lagna" means,> "Raseenam Udayo Lagna" (The SIGN rising in the east is termed LAGNA).>>> 3) Take the copy of> Boudhayana Sutra. In it you will find a quote that reads - "Meena Meshayor> Mesha Vrishabhayor VasantaH" [The Vasanta Ritu could be either in> Meena-Mesha or in Mesha-Vrishabha (as per the period of time and geographical> location)]>> 4) Then take the> Rigveda

itself and try to understand the wordings such as - "Dwadasaram> nahi tajjaraya" , "Dwadaya pradhayaschakrameka m" etc etc.>> 5) Take Maitreya Sutra> and in it you will find a quote as follows –>> Ravina langhito masaschandraH khyato malipluchaH>> masadwaye yadapyekaRASIM Sankrametadityastat radyo> malipluchaH>> [if two lunar months falls with a single sidereal solar> month (Rasi; Sign) - i.e. if Sun TRANSITS two lunar months with in Rasis (Sign)> - then that month is known with the special name "Maliplucha" (the> unclean month)]>> This quote proves that sidereal solar months where clearly> in existence and use during Vedic period.>> 6) If even this is not> enough then kid like stories are better for you. So take the Puranas and you> will find numerous references to Signs in all of them, Such as in

Garuda> Purana, Agni Purana or numerous other Puranas.>> Love and regards,>> Sreenadh>>>>>> >