IndiaDivine.org

A gift for the astrology group members

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear members,I want to share with you a unique insight which changed my view and respect for Hindu philosophy immensely - and even today amazes me. I stopped merely respecting it from heart and started respecting it for the true science behind from that instant on. This is a personal story, so please don't think of this as some forward email- I have typed every letter  myself, as a gift for all of you.

My Guruji was giving a lecture on philosophy in one place, and after it ended a girl (in 10th std at that time) walked up to him and told him that Hindu philosophy is just mythology and sentimentality, and nothing else. Guruji is a very patient man, and he smiled and asked her why she thinks so. She said " take for instance the story of the cosmos - mythology tells us that the earth is on the head of a snake and this snake is on top of a tortoise - is this not ridiculous?? "

Guruji: " Ok, so that is the problem... ok, let us analyze this. First, tell me, why is it a cock-and-bull story? " Girl: " Because Science tells us that this is absurd and incorrect "

Guruji: " Righto. What does science say? How is earth in orbit? " Girl:   " By gravitation force, ofcourse! " Guruji: " Do you  know the name of the snake that is supposed to uphold the earth? "

Girl: " No - what is it? " Guruji: " That is not any ordinary snake, it is a special avatar of Vishnu himself, and he is called 'sankarshaNa'. Does this ring a bell? "

Girl: " No, why? " Guruji: " SankarshaNa in sanskrit means " attractive force " , did you know that? " Girl: " .... " <silent>

Guruji: " What is the definition of gravity in science, do you know? Scientists call gravity a special force because it is the only force which has no opposite - it can only attract and not repel. That is why the indian sages called it " samyak-karshayati " or the " great-attractive " force. Now let us come to the Tortoise:  do you know what the tortoise is called? It is called Vaayu Kurma. Do you know what Vaayu means? Vaayu means 'atmosphere'. So, what the sages are saying here is that the atmosphere is holding up all life on earth. "

Girl: " ... " <shocked>Guruji: " In ancient times, the sages had to use symbols and tell stories to make common people understand deep scientific concepts. It is upto us to unravel them. Do not reject things before analyzing, for then you are doing a great disservice to all their efforts " .

The girl simply did namaskara and left.....no doubt she is now a very devout *true* Hindu, and not a blind one.My guruji is Shri - Bannanje Govindachar, whom i (and many people) regard as Rudramsha-sambhuta.

hari smaraNs,prANadAsa