IndiaDivine.org

Copy Chart as Text

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Narasimha Garu,

Maybe this is a bug

When I right click on a copy to clip board as text and past it in notepad the chart is all messed up.

Maybe it just has carraige return character with no line feed.

Also when i paste the same text in Chat screen of all the spaces dissappear!.

Thank you

Regards

S. Prabhakaran

Guest guest

Dear Sanjay,

There are multiple "enter" or "newline" characters, and notepad only understands one of them.

Try copying the text into a more intelligent editor (wordpad or word) and selecting the text to use a fixed-width font like "Courier". It will display correctly. (However, it would be nice if the next version of JHora used the default Windows newline....then it would work with notepad)

If you (and the person you are chatting with) configure Messenger to use a fixed-width font, it should display correctly. If it really munges spaces, then that is a "feature", and there is probably nothing that can be done about it.

ajit

-

Sanjay Prabhakaran

jhora_help ; jhora (AT) Groups (DOT) Com

Thursday, June 12, 2003 10:26 AM

Copy Chart as Text

Dear Narasimha Garu,

Maybe this is a bug

When I right click on a copy to clip board as text and past it in notepad the chart is all messed up.

Thank you

Regards

S. Prabhakaran

Guest guest

Ajit and Sanjay,

You are right. Unix systems use 0xA (\n), the newline character. Dos machines use 0xD (\r), the carriage return character, followed by 0xA (\n). I used the Unix style in generating the chart text. Intelligent editors like Word, Wordpad, NotepadPlus are fine with it. But the basic notepad displays all the text in one line.

I just now changed the software to write both 0xD and 0xA for new line. Now, it looks fine even on Notepad. It will be available in the next upgrade.

The problem with Messenger is different. I cannot fix it. If they see too many spaces, thinks you mis-typed and tries to be oversmart. It removes all the spaces. Like Ajit said, this is a "feature". Unfortunately, I cannot think of any solution.

MSN messenger, OTOH, does not erase spaces, but it limits the number of lines you can paste (atleast in my Windows XP computer). Atleast, one can email the chart.

Best regards,

Narasimha

PS: The group jhora is for discussions among JHora users. Anybody who uses JHora is welcome to to it. The group jhora_help is for critical JHora help. Only the volunteers who want to help JHora users with critical problems are members of this list. Those who do not want to to a to get some critical help they need with JHora installation or use will send mails to jhora_help. Mails sent to jhora_help group will only reach a handful of volunteers and one of them will reply to it. For mails of this nature in future, sending a mail to jhora will be sufficient.

-

Ajit Krishnan

jhora ; jhora_help

Thursday, June 12, 2003 9:54 PM

Re: Copy Chart as Text

Dear Sanjay,

There are multiple "enter" or "newline" characters, and notepad only understands one of them.

Try copying the text into a more intelligent editor (wordpad or word) and selecting the text to use a fixed-width font like "Courier". It will display correctly. (However, it would be nice if the next version of JHora used the default Windows newline....then it would work with notepad)

If you (and the person you are chatting with) configure Messenger to use a fixed-width font, it should display correctly. If it really munges spaces, then that is a "feature", and there is probably nothing that can be done about it.

ajit

-

Sanjay Prabhakaran

Copy Chart as Text

Dear Narasimha Garu,

Maybe this is a bug

Thank you

Regards

S. Prabhakaran

Guest guest

Dear Narasimha Garu,

Maybe for the white space problem in using char(255) instead of space ' ' could be be helpfull. Char(255), Char(0xFF) both create space.

Warm Regards

Thank You

Sanjay P

-

Narasimha P.V.R. Rao

jhora

Friday, June 13, 2003 12:20 PM

Ajit and Sanjay,

You are right. Unix systems use 0xA (\n), the newline character. Dos machines use 0xD (\r), the carriage return character, followed by 0xA (\n). I used the Unix style in generating the chart text. Intelligent editors like Word, Wordpad, NotepadPlus are fine with it. But the basic notepad displays all the text in one line.

I just now changed the software to write both 0xD and 0xA for new line. Now, it looks fine even on Notepad. It will be available in the next upgrade.

The problem with Messenger is different. I cannot fix it. If they see too many spaces, thinks you mis-typed and tries to be oversmart. It removes all the spaces. Like Ajit said, this is a "feature". Unfortunately, I cannot think of any solution.

MSN messenger, OTOH, does not erase spaces, but it limits the number of lines you can paste (atleast in my Windows XP computer). Atleast, one can email the chart.

Best regards,

Narasimha

PS: The group jhora is for discussions among JHora users. Anybody who uses JHora is welcome to to it. The group jhora_help is for critical JHora help. Only the volunteers who want to help JHora users with critical problems are members of this list. Those who do not want to to a to get some critical help they need with JHora installation or use will send mails to jhora_help. Mails sent to jhora_help group will only reach a handful of volunteers and one of them will reply to it. For mails of this nature in future, sending a mail to jhora will be sufficient.

-

Ajit Krishnan

jhora ; jhora_help

Dear Sanjay,

ajit

-

Sanjay Prabhakaran

Copy Chart as Text

Dear Narasimha Garu,

Maybe this is a bug

Thank you

Regards

S. Prabhakaran

Guest guest

Dear Sanjay,

I don't think that's right. There is some mess between various operating systems on the definition of new line, but there is no controversy regarding space. There is only one legal space character - 0x20 (i.e. 32).

The character 0xFF (or 255) that you mentioned will not be displayed as space in most programs. If you check the site http://www.asciitable.com, you will see that 255 (0xFF) is not assigned to anything. In fact, I just tried using 0xFF instead of 0x20 for space and Notepad, Wordpad, Word and NotepadPlus all displayed it as garbage. All of them (and messenger too) displayed it as y with two dots on it.

There is no problem in JHora regarding space. It produces spaces correctly. As long as you use a fixed width font like courier or courier new and your editor/program does not edit the text at its whim, things are fine. The problem is 's over-zealousness to clean up the text and save some bandwidth. If a text contains too many spaces and they remove (what they think are) unneeded spaces, they will save some bandwidth. That's what they're trying.

For example, open messenger and type

Test Test. Test.

It will come up as

Test Test. Test.

They try to be over-smart.

The html tag <pre> is used for indicating that some text is pre-formatted and it may not be formatted again. I tried putting that also, but did not understand it.

Bottomline: There is no solution to messenger eating up the spaces in the charts copied from JHora. Use another means of sending charts.

Best regards,Narasimha

-

Sanjay Prabhakaran

jhora

Saturday, June 14, 2003 7:35 AM

Dear Narasimha Garu,

Maybe for the white space problem in using char(255) instead of space ' ' could be be helpfull. Char(255), Char(0xFF) both create space.

Warm Regards

Thank You

Sanjay P

-

Narasimha P.V.R. Rao

jhora

Friday, June 13, 2003 12:20 PM

Ajit and Sanjay,

Best regards,

Narasimha

-

Ajit Krishnan

jhora ; jhora_help

Dear Sanjay,

ajit

-

Sanjay Prabhakaran

Copy Chart as Text

Dear Narasimha Garu,

Maybe this is a bug

Thank you

Regards

S. Prabhakaran

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Dear Narasimha,

It looks like this change did not make it into JH 6.0. Could you

please add it for the next update?

Thanks,

ajit

jhora , " Narasimha P.V.R. Rao " <pvr@c...>

wrote:

> Ajit and Sanjay,

>

> You are right. Unix systems use 0xA (\n), the newline character.

Dos machines use 0xD (\r), the carriage return character, followed

by 0xA (\n). I used the Unix style in generating the chart text.

Intelligent editors like Word, Wordpad, NotepadPlus are fine with

it. But the basic notepad displays all the text in one line.

>

> I just now changed the software to write both 0xD and 0xA for new

line. Now, it looks fine even on Notepad. It will be available in

the next upgrade.

Guest guest

Dear Ajit,

When I read the mail, I thought the problem being reported was related to copying charts ("Copy chart" pop-up menu in charts). I fixed that.

After reading this mail from you, it struck to me that the same problem is there in the copy menus under "Edit" menu. I have not fixed that. I guess you are talking about that.

Next time...

Narasimha

-

Ajit Krishnan

jhora

Saturday, July 10, 2004 2:27 AM

Dear Narasimha,It looks like this change did not make it into JH 6.0. Could you please add it for the next update?Thanks, ajitjhora , "Narasimha P.V.R. Rao" <pvr@c...> wrote:> Ajit and Sanjay,> > You are right. Unix systems use 0xA (\n), the newline character. Dos machines use 0xD (\r), the carriage return character, followed by 0xA (\n). I used the Unix style in generating the chart text. Intelligent editors like Word, Wordpad, NotepadPlus are fine with it. But the basic notepad displays all the text in one line.> > I just now changed the software to write both 0xD and 0xA for new line. Now, it looks fine even on Notepad. It will be available in the next upgrade.