of forcing the users to guess how the place would have named in atlas every

time, it would have been good if

1. User is allowed to add a place

2. Once, he locates the place, if the name indicated by Atlas is not the

same as the name user knows the place by, user could edit and change the

place name.

3. It would by gracious if the pick list has a last search results/favourite

few by default. It may be worth letting the user select user's favorite few

(may be 10/15 places) places and populate them in the pick-list by default.

This enhancement would help most of astrologer who generally cast charts

only for few places.

For first few, enabling the name of the place (pick-list) to be editable is

good enough. When user changes the place name in the picklist, the atlass

file is updated (provided it is writable). Similarly, when user types the

location name, and lat and long info, it is added to the atlas. How ever,

adding to atlas may be more complex, as you would like to have some time

zone data (for calculation

of day light saving time etc).

Providing 2 may be relatively easy for you. 3 will require you to add one

more button/menu item and little more code to populate the pick-list when

data input dailog shows-up.

Best regards,

Vijay.

Vijay,

Quick comments:

Bangalore, India IS available.

Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata are also available, even though the old names Bombay, Madras and Calcutta are still there in the atlas.

You don't have the latest atlas. What you have is quite old.

Best regards,Narasimha

-

Narayana Rao PVKL - CTD, Chennai.

jhora

Monday, August 18, 2003 5:14 AM

jHora built in Atlas

Hi,I am giving my ideas to improve the atlas feature, as it looks like your areplanning some enhancements there (regarding day-light saving). If possibleconsider my suggestions.While, the atlas seems to be big and good enough there are few importantgaps. It would have been great if there was a chance to edit it. The mainproblem is the names of the locations.Yesterday, I wanted to cast a chart for Banglore which is one of most famouscities of India, but could not find it. It is available asBengulur.Chennai is available as Madras in this Atlas. Lot of people already startedcalling it Chennai, and pretty soon Madras may be a forgotten name. Insteadof forcing the users to guess how the place would have named in atlas everytime, it would have been good if1. User is allowed to add a place2. Once, he locates the place, if the name indicated by Atlas is not thesame as the name user knows the place by, user could edit and change theplace name.3. It would by gracious if the pick list has a last search results/favouritefew by default. It may be worth letting the user select user's favorite few(may be 10/15 places) places and populate them in the pick-list by default.This enhancement would help most of astrologer who generally cast chartsonly for few places.For first few, enabling the name of the place (pick-list) to be editable isgood enough. When user changes the place name in the picklist, the atlassfile is updated (provided it is writable). Similarly, when user types thelocation name, and lat and long info, it is added to the atlas. How ever,adding to atlas may be more complex, as you would like to have some timezone data (for calculationof day light saving time etc).Providing 2 may be relatively easy for you. 3 will require you to add onemore button/menu item and little more code to populate the pick-list whendata input dailog shows-up.Best regards,Vijay.

Hi,

Thanks for quick response. I will check it out. How ever, please get the spirit of my suggestions. It is not question of few name changes. More importantly it may be the spelling. At times, when I search for Indian cities, I ponder over the possible spelling which could have entered.

For example, if I want to search for kaeSamudram (a village enroute Warangal from Khammam), different spellings are possible:

kesamudram

kaesamudram

keshamudram

kaeshamudram

The particular spelling entered may not be convenient for me, and I may want to change it to kesamudram, as that would be what I enter normally if I have to!

Perhaps, this is not a major problem, but giving such support can always be nice.

I understand you have lot of other better things to do rather than accepting small improvement requests. It is your call :-)

Best regards,

Vijay

Narasimha P.V.R. Rao [pvr]Monday, August 18, 2003 5:05 PMjhora Subject: Re: jHora built in Atlas

Vijay,

Quick comments:

Bangalore, India IS available.

Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata are also available, even though the old names Bombay, Madras and Calcutta are still there in the atlas.

You don't have the latest atlas. What you have is quite old.

Best regards,Narasimha

-

Narayana Rao PVKL - CTD, Chennai.

jhora

Monday, August 18, 2003 5:14 AM

jHora built in Atlas

Hi,I am giving my ideas to improve the atlas feature, as it looks like your areplanning some enhancements there (regarding day-light saving). If possibleconsider my suggestions.While, the atlas seems to be big and good enough there are few importantgaps. It would have been great if there was a chance to edit it. The mainproblem is the names of the locations.Yesterday, I wanted to cast a chart for Banglore which is one of most famouscities of India, but could not find it. It is available asBengulur.Chennai is available as Madras in this Atlas. Lot of people already startedcalling it Chennai, and pretty soon Madras may be a forgotten name. Insteadof forcing the users to guess how the place would have named in atlas everytime, it would have been good if1. User is allowed to add a place2. Once, he locates the place, if the name indicated by Atlas is not thesame as the name user knows the place by, user could edit and change theplace name.3. It would by gracious if the pick list has a last search results/favouritefew by default. It may be worth letting the user select user's favorite few(may be 10/15 places) places and populate them in the pick-list by default.This enhancement would help most of astrologer who generally cast chartsonly for few places.For first few, enabling the name of the place (pick-list) to be editable isgood enough. When user changes the place name in the picklist, the atlassfile is updated (provided it is writable). Similarly, when user types thelocation name, and lat and long info, it is added to the atlas. How ever,adding to atlas may be more complex, as you would like to have some timezone data (for calculationof day light saving time etc).Providing 2 may be relatively easy for you. 3 will require you to add onemore button/menu item and little more code to populate the pick-list whendata input dailog shows-up.Best regards,Vijay.