IndiaDivine.org

Karna -The Astrologer

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sirs,We are saying the same thing for different reasons. 1. One's goal is indicative of one's stature. If one feels "deprived" and takes to any path, versus one feels insulted but nevertheless stands by Dharma, is the difference between Adharma and Dharma. If we start talking of someone who has taken insults early on and then took to power by hook or crook, then how different are today's politicians or rowdies from that? Even they have some commitments in their lives, some persons with thom they confide, and they are immoral otherwise. That prototype, is itself to be the bad example. 2. Karna's dana - I responded on this previously. He does not have to bargain for Indra Sakti - that is what he deserved for the dana he did. It is not a shame on Indra to not return, if there was no immediate return then it results a

bigger gain - Indra basically negated the dana through returning it. This is the Dharma Sukshma. 3. Yes, people have Netaji or Gandhi or Aurobindo or Vasistha as their role model. That shows their stature and their understanding. The fact that

these are all models, is something very well known. The point I started with, is that having Gandhi for a model is not just a natural fact, it is indicative of how intellectually bankrupt India has become. Similarly, the fan-following of Karna is not just a well known fact, but very much indicative of how morally bankrupt the society is today. One's models, ideals reflect his character, his stature. And a collective choice reflects the character of society. As Bhaskar ji said, if the question is about what one's example is or should be, then any Dharma-loving man would take an Arjuna or a Yudhistira or a Bhimasena or The Krishna for his model. But for that, there is no purpose for us to speak bad of any personality. Thousands of years later if we discuss these characters, it is for learning something out of their good and bad - not to really favor anyone of them or criticize them. Shankar"Chakraborty, PL" <CHAKRABORTYP2 Sat, November 28, 2009 8:42:14 AMRE: Re: Karna -The Astrologer

Dear Bhaskar-ji & Shankar-ji,

I wish I did not comment on this matter. Anyway, following

are my understanding. ..

1) I don't have any problem with anybody having a goal

- Karna felt "deprived" of his due and he took the path

that he thought could succeed. I guess there was

some incident where Arjuna laughed at him / did not

allow Karna to participate.

2) We relate to different people ,..... not necessarily

in our 'LEAGUE". Some of us like Mahatma Gandhi,

some of us relate to Netaji (Subhash Bose)....why ??

Because we could relate to his sentiment.

People said that younger generation in Delhi voted

for Sheila Dixit...why ?? Because they could relate

emotionally to her ideas.

Another point...probably very important is...To me,

Karna is a complex character..with different shades.

The so called good characters are purely white..not

exciting for probing.

3) Karna had his weaknesses.. he fled from few battles

Shankar-ji has always provided few examples. Also

his decision to take few adharmic course to obtain

his goal is an indirect examples of his weakness.

I do employ touts to get my driving license./ to bypass

the queue in Howrah station & get a ticket. This is a

weakness..inability /unwillingness to go thru' the rigor.

4) Regarding his Daan of Akshay Kavach...what I remember

that Karna did not bargain. Indra gave him that Baan

'after being please with Karna'. Otherwise it could have

been shameful for Indra.

Regarding its use....what I remember that an unwilling

Karna used it after repeated urging by Duryodhana. And

Krishna knew it very well...he had used Ghatotkoch as

'pawn' to neutralize the Aindra Shakti Karna had gained.

Probably there was a conversation between Krishna and

others after Ghatotkoch' death - about why Ghatotkoch

needed to be eliminated because of his Rakshasa origin.

However, I read MBH while I was in class VI and have not

repeated it. So, my memory could be failing me. 30 yrs is

a long time.

And yes, I do agree to Bhaskar-ji's other points.

regards

Chakraborty

Dear all,

// When he fought Drupada to arrest him and present him as Gurudakshina to Drona

When the Gandharva Citrasena fights them during Ghosha yatra

During Gograhana, unable to withstand Arjuna

In the war, he runs multiple times in the few days he fights - from Bhima,

Arjuna, Satyiki, Abhimanyu.//

In none of these cases has he run away. Each incident must be read fully before we reach this judgement. Incidentally he defeated every Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the mahabharata war but spared life of each of them because he had no issues with them, he knew they were his younger brother, and due to his promise given to his mother Kunti.

I request those who make such judgements to please read the Mahabharata properly and religiously.

In those days running away from a fight was considered as death. And not even the worst of warriors used to run away but accept either defeat or death, but running was not in the blood of such great warriors.

I do not have time to present each incident in detail otherwise I would have surely presented the same here.

regards/Bhaskar.

, "Chakraborty, PL" <CHAKRABORTYP2 wrote:>> Dear Bhaskar-ji & Shankar-ji> > Bhaskar-ji said...> > //Now one sentence I diasgree with -> > // Karna had his weaknesses..he fled from few battles //> I am copy / pasteing from Shankar-ji's mail. It shows that Karna did fled.> > //A Kshatriya is not supposed to run away from the war, even if it means death.> Karna not only arbitrarily runs, but has the habit of running from the field.> He ran away in the following occasions:> When he fought Drupada to arrest him and present him as Gurudakshina to Drona> When the Gandharva Citrasena fights them during Ghosha yatra> During Gograhana, unable to withstand Arjuna> In the war, he runs multiple times in the few days he fights - from Bhima,> Arjuna, Satyiki, Abhimanyu.> --------------> Shankar-ji said> //Being the weilder of Pasupata and Brahmastra, Arjuna could *never*> be conquered or killed in combat.> > I have my doubts on this. While fighting with Bhagadutta, Bhagadutta> did fire some Astra (probably Vaisnavastra or something). Krishna had to> shield Arjuna & accept that Astra as a garland. Similar incidents happened> while Arjuna was fighting post Kurukshetra. He was even killed by> Babhruvahana (Prince of Manipur & Arjuna's own son).> > In one occasion, Krishna advised that everybody should give up arms to evade> the ill effects of that Astra during Kurukshetra. Arjuna also did so.> > So, the events are so many that a very clear conclusion is difficult to> attain.> > regards> > Chakraborty> > .> > > > > ________________________________> On Behalf Of Bhaskar> Saturday, November 28, 2009 10:26 AM> > Re: Karna -The Astrologer> > > > dear Chakroborty ji,> > I understood very well previously too when you mentioned about relating> to Karna. Yes now let me accept this that at times we relate to people> like not even Karna but even Arjuna too, because Mahabharata is a great> epic and what melodrama or emotions or sentiments is there in this> world, all is there in mahabharat and what is not here is not there.> Interestingly we can co-relate to almost every character of Mahabharata> at one of the other times in our Life. But co-relations should be done> only in trying to emulate their high ideals.> > Now one sentence I diasgree with -> > // Karna had his weaknesses..he fled from few battles //> > I will just ask all of those who agree with above to give just 2> incidents from where he fled away from battle. You wont find even two.> Getting defeated in a battle does not mean "fled away". Let us give due> credit where requisited, to great heroes instead of tainting them black> fully.> > Love n regards,> > Bhaskar.> > > > This Message was sent from Indian Oil Messaging Gateway, New Delhi, India. The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.>

Dear Bhaskar ji,"In none of these cases has he run

away. Each incident must be read fully before we reach this judgement.

Incidentally he defeated every Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the

mahabharata war but spared life of each of them because he had no

issues with them, he knew they were his younger brother, and due to his

promise given to his mother Kunti."This is just mix-up of things. In the events listed Karna was not merely defeated - he *fled*, he *ran away*. From Chitrasena he ran, leaving Duryodhana to his fate. During Gograhana he *ran*, and was *chased* by Arjuna. He *ran* multiple times in the great war and was *chased* by Bhimasena. He was defeated in many other instances, but these are instances when he not only was defeated, but *fled*, when he *showed his back to the enemy*. On all the four instances when the Pandavas fell short in front of Karna, they were *defeated*, rendered helpless - they did not *run away*. I am not ignoring the difference between getting defeated and running away from the battle. ShankarBhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish Sent: Sat, November 28, 2009 1:24:06 PM Re: Karna -The Astrologer

Dear all,

// When he fought Drupada to arrest him and present him as Gurudakshina to Drona

When the Gandharva Citrasena fights them during Ghosha yatra

During Gograhana, unable to withstand Arjuna

In the war, he runs multiple times in the few days he fights - from Bhima,

Arjuna, Satyiki, Abhimanyu.//

In none of these cases has he run away. Each incident must be read fully before we reach this judgement. Incidentally he defeated every Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the mahabharata war but spared life of each of them because he had no issues with them, he knew they were his younger brother, and due to his promise given to his mother Kunti.

I request those who make such judgements to please read the Mahabharata properly and religiously.

In those days running away from a fight was considered as death. And not even the worst of warriors used to run away but accept either defeat or death, but running was not in the blood of such great warriors.

I do not have time to present each incident in detail otherwise I would have surely presented the same here.

regards/Bhaskar.

Karna as the adulated figure

Even though Karna devoted his services to evil Duryodhana, he remains an adulated figure for millions of Hindus and Indians. Karna is always considered as a formidable warrior, perhaps the greatest warrior of all time, a courageous spirit who braved impossible odds in his life, and died with unique courage, valor and honor. Karna is especially adored for his generosity. He is also considered an example of how misjudgment renders all the fine qualities of an individual futile.

Many Hindus consider Karna as a man who fought against his misfortunes throughout his life without a single pause. He never got his due, but never gave up his efforts. Many of his contemporaries including Bheeshma and Lord Krishna conceded Karna was a noble spirit who rarely appears in the human race. He is idealized as an inspiration for struggling humanity to not lose heart. Karna is also a popular Hindu male name.

There are many incidents and quotes which indicate the might and greatness of Karna. One of those incidents is during Karna's war with Arjuna. When Arjuna's chariot was shifted a few inches back by the impact of one of the arrows shot by Karna, Krishna being Arjuna's Sarathi(charioteer) praised Karna. On his comment, Arjuna exclaimed that "while I hit Karna's chariot it moved miles behind so there is no reason to praise Karna on this". Krishna then explained to Arjuna that "On your chariot I, Lord Vishnu am present. I own the weight of entire universe and in addition to it your chariot is the chariot of Agni(the fire god) and it has the blessings of Hanuman in the form of a flag. If you remove these factors your chariot will fly away, revolving around the Earth".

There are also certain incidents those describe Karna's ethics in war as well. One of them is during his duel with Arjuna, when by the blow of Karna's arrow Arjuna fainted. At that moment the cobra king Ashwasen who was sheltered by Karna, crept out of hiding and requested Karna to use his poison against Arjuna because Arjuna had burnt his home(a forest) to the ground. Karna refused to use a snake against any human, saying that it would be treachery towards humanity.

Furthermore; at night on the day of his death as Karna lay dying on the Kurukshetra battlefield, in the Pandava camp Krishna lay saddened. When questioned by Arjuna as to why he was upset, Krishna replied that he was mourning the passing of a great man like Karna. Angered by Krishna's affection for Karna, Arjuna demanded to know why. Then Krishna took Arjuna towards Karna, disguised as two Brahmins; one younger and one older. Krishna, disguised as the older Brahmin, said to Karna "Oh Karna, you are known to be extremely genenrous, hence I am here requesting something for my son's wedding, what can you give me?"

Karna replied saying "I do not have anything to give you as I lie here dying, but if there is anything you can see which I can give you then please request that which you desire." Upon hearing this Krishna said, upon noting a golden tooth within Karna's mouth, "Oh Karna, I can see within your mouth a golden tooth, can you give me that?" And so Karna, using a nearby rock knocked his tooth out. In order to test Karna even more and in order to demonstrate to Arjuna Karna's generosity, Krishna scolded Karna for giving him something covered in blood which is not suitable for a brahmin to touch. Upon hearing this Karna began to cry and with his tears washed the tooth and gave it to Krishna. After this Krishna left and Arjuna followed. Krishna then told Arjuna that the passing of Karna from this world would mark the passing of generosity and other such qualities which Karna possesses; and hence he was mourning Karna's death.

Contrast with Arjuna

There are many parallels between Arjuna and Karna. Both were master archers, competed for Draupadi's hand, and had to fight their own brothers in the war. A deeper connection lies in the fact that the two felt strong ties to the Kaurava side both through friendship and through blood. Their decisions along with the corresponding consequences to themselves and their families, are used to emphasize the importance of doing one's duty as explained in the Bhagavad Gita by Krishna.

Karna serves as an excellent example of a gifted, generous, righteous and brave individual who was still doomed because of his loyalty towards Duryodhana. Karna had the five perfect qualities of a husband for Draupadi, but being with Duryodhana nullified these. Karna's affection for Duryodhana led him to, albeit unwillingly, assist his dear friend in all his actions against the Pandavas. Karna was aware of Duryodhana's malicious plans against the Pandavas. Karna was also aware of his own imminent downfall on assisting the evil against the good. While some maintain that he acquired a blemished image by his treatment of Draupadi at Dhritrashtra's court, others maintain that he was justified in this act, since it was Draupadi who first dishonored and humiliated him by unjustly denying him the opportunity to compete in her Swayamvara by insulting him with the soot-putra epithet (referring to him as being of a lower class background) in order to disqualify him; however, his role in the killing of an unarmed and outnumbered Abhimanyu can be interpreted as an act that more directly damaged him as an honorable warrior and doomed him to a similar fate. According to some interpretations of the Mahabharata, it was this deed that solidified Karna's status as a warrior on the wrong side of the war and sealed his fate of being killed by Arjuna in the same way, being unarmed, chariotless and with his back turned to Arjuna.

Source- Wikipedia

DearBharadwaj ji,

I accept whenever I am wrong. If I am. I will surely accept it, but now

we cannot just say " He fled away " and expect people to believe it

because You said so.

If You think I am wrong, if You think Wikipedia is wrong, then the onus

of proof to substantiate what you claim, lies on You, Sir.

But I cannot accept that he rand and fled away many time from war. This

statement does not hold water even in a spoon for me.

regads,

Bhaskar.

In , ShankaraBharadwaj

Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj wrote:

>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,

>

> " In none of these cases has he run

> away. Each incident must be read fully before we reach this judgement.

> Incidentally he defeated every Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the

> mahabharata war but spared life of each of them because he had no

> issues with them, he knew they were his younger brother, and due to

his

> promise given to his mother Kunti. "

>

> This is just mix-up of things. In the events listed Karna was not

merely defeated - he *fled*, he *ran away*. From Chitrasena he ran,

leaving Duryodhana to his fate. During Gograhana he *ran*, and was

*chased* by Arjuna. He *ran* multiple times in the great war and was

*chased* by Bhimasena. He was defeated in many other instances, but

these are instances when he not only was defeated, but *fled*, when he

*showed his back to the enemy*.

>

> On all the four instances when the Pandavas fell short in front of

Karna, they were *defeated*, rendered helpless - they did not *run

away*. I am not ignoring the difference between getting defeated and

running away from the battle.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 1:24:06 PM

> Re: Karna -The Astrologer

>

>

> Dear all,

> // When he fought Drupada to arrest him and present him as

Gurudakshina to Drona

> When the Gandharva Citrasena fights them during Ghosha yatra

> During Gograhana, unable to withstand Arjuna

> In the war, he runs multiple times in the few days he fights - from

Bhima,

> Arjuna, Satyiki, Abhimanyu.//

> In none of these cases has he run away. Each incident must be read

fully before we reach this judgement. Incidentally he defeated every

Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the mahabharata war but spared life

of each of them because he had no issues with them, he knew they were

his younger brother, and due to his promise given to his mother Kunti.

> I request those who make such judgements to please read the

Mahabharata properly and religiously.

> In those days running away from a fight was considered as death. And

not even the worst of warriors used to run away but accept either defeat

or death, but running was not in the blood of such great warriors.

> I do not have time to present each incident in detail otherwise I

would have surely presented the same here.

> regards/Bhaskar.

>

Dear Friends,

Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his statements

which have been repeated several times during the day in last two days

about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater warrior

but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava brother

could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great Daani

did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he as a

King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from a battle

field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King himself,

could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his finest

friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who several times

run away from the battlefield ?

Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you think ?

regards/.Bhaskar.

Dear Bhaskar ji,I would not have needed to "show" any proof if we all read Vyasa Maha Bharata - these are facts well known. I lsited out instances when that happened, but I guess it is

better you refer MBH directly than I pasting the whole passages here.

However as a quick reference I am pasting one instance of Gograhana here. It is in Virata Parva, Sections 54-55. I am pasting KM Ganguly's verse-verse translation of Vyasa Bharata here, what is relevant is in bold: "Section LIV "Vaisampayana said, 'Having

disorganised the hostile host by force and having recovered the kine,

that foremost of bowmen, desirous of fighting again, proceeded towards

Duryodhana. And beholding the kine running wild towards the city of the

Matsyas, the foremost warriors of the Kurus regarded Kiritin to have

already achieved success. And all of a sudden they fell upon Arjuna who

was advancing towards Duryodhana. And beholding their countless

divisions firmly arrayed in order of battle with countless banners

waving over them, that slayer of foes, addressing the son of the king

of the Matsyas, said, 'Urge on, to the best of their p. 92 speed by this road, these white

steeds decked with golden bridles. Strive thou well, for I would

approach this crowd of Kuru lions. Like an elephant desiring an

encounter with another, the Suta's son of wicked soul eagerly

desireth a battle with me. Take me, O prince, to him who hath grown so

proud under the patronage of Duryodhana. Thus addressed, the son of

Virata by means of those large steeds endued with the speed of the wind

and furnished with golden armour, broke that array of cars and took the

Pandava into the midst of the battle-field. And seeing this those

mighty car-warriors, Chitrasena and Sangramajit and Satrusaha and Jaya,

desirous of aiding Karna, rushed with arrows and long shafts, towards

the advancing hero of Bharata's race. Then that foremost of men,

inflamed with wrath, began to consume by means of fiery arrows shot

from his bow, that array of cars belonging to those bulls among the

Kurus, like a tremendous conflagration consuming a forest. Then, when

the battle began to rage furiously, the Kuru hero, Vikarna, mounted on

his car, approached that foremost of car-warriors, Partha, the younger

brother of Bhima,--showering upon him terrible shafts thick and long.

Then cutting Vikarna's bow furnished with a tough string and horns

overlaid with gold, Arjuna cut off his flagstaff. And Vikarna,

beholding his flagstaff cut off, speedily took to flight. And after

Vikarna's flight, Satruntapa, unable to repress his ire, began to

afflict Partha, that obstructer of foes and achiever of super-human

feats, by means of a perfect shower of arrows. And drowned, as it were,

in the midst of the Kuru-array, Arjuna, pierced by that mighty

car-warrior,--king Satruntapa--pierced the latter in return with five

and then slew his car-driver with ten shafts, and pierced by that bull

of the Bharata race with an arrow capable of cleaving the thickest coat

of mail, Satruntapa fell dead on the field of battle, like a tree from

a mountain-top torn up by the wind. And those brave bulls among men,

mangled in battle by that braver bull among men, began to waver and

tremble like mighty forests shaken by the violence of the wind that

blows at the time of the universal dissolution. And struck in battle by

Partha, the son of Vasava, those well-dressed heroes among men--those

givers of wealth endued with the energy of Vasava--defeated and

deprived of life, began to measure their lengths on the ground, like

full-grown Himalayan elephants clad in mails of black steel decked with

gold. And like unto a raging fire consuming a forest at the close of

summer, that foremost of men, wielding the Gandiva, ranged the

field in all directions, slaying his foes in battle thus. And as the

wind rangeth at will, scattering masses of clouds and fallen leaves in

the season of spring, so did that foremost of

car-warriors--Kiritin--ranged in that battle, scattering all his foes

before him. And soon slaying the red steeds yoked unto the car of

Sangramajit, the brother of Vikatana's son, that hero decked in diadem

and endued with great vigour then cut off his antagonist's head by a

crescent-shaped arrow. And when his brother was slain, Vikartana's son

of the Suta caste, mustering all his prowess, rushed at Arjuna, like a huge elephant with out-stretched tusks, p. 93 or like a tiger at a mighty

bull. And the son of Vikarna quickly pierced the son of Pandu with

twelve shafts and all his steeds also in every part of their bodies and

Virata's son too in his hand. And rushing impetuously against Vikarna's

son who was suddenly advancing against him, Kiritin attacked him

fiercely like Garuda of variegated plumage swooping down upon a snake.

And both of them were foremost of bowmen, and both were endued with

great strength, and both were capable of slaying foes. And seeing that

an encounter was imminent between them, the Kauravas, anxious to

witness it, stood aloof as lookers on. And beholding the offender

Karna, the son of Pandu, excited to fury, and glad also at having him,

soon made him, his horses, his car, and car-driver invisible by means

of a frightful shower of countless arrows. And the warriors of the

Bharatas headed by Bhishma, with their horses, elephants, and cars,

pierced by Kiritin and rendered invisible by means of his shafts, their

ranks also scattered and broken, began to wail aloud in grief. The

illustrious and heroic Karna, however counteracting with numberless

arrows of his own those shafts by Arjuna's hand, soon burst forth in

view with bow and arrows like a blazing fire. And then there arose the

sound of loud clapping of hands, with the blare of conchs and trumpets

and kettle-drums made by the Kurus while they applauded Vikartana's son

who filled the atmosphere with the sound of his bow-string flapping

against his fence. And beholding Kiritin filling the air with the twang

of Gandiva, and the upraised tail of the monkey that

constituted his flag and that terrible creature yelling furiously from

the top of his flagstaff, Karna sent forth a loud roar. And afflicting

by means of his shafts, Vikartana's son along with his steeds, car and

car-driver, Kiritin impetuously poured an arrowy shower on him, casting

his eyes on the grandsire and Drona and Kripa. And Vikartana's son also

poured upon Partha a heavy shower of arrows like a rain-charged cloud.

And the diadem-decked Arjuna also covered Karna with a thick down-pour

of keen-edged shafts. And the two heroes stationed on their cars,

creating clouds of keen-edged arrows in a combat carried on by means of

countless shafts and weapons, appeared to the spectators like the sun

and the moon covered by clouds, and the light-handed Karna, unable to

bear the sight of the foe, pierced the four horses of the diadem-decked

hero with whetted arrows, and then struck his car-driver with three

shafts, and his flagstaff also with three. Thus struck, that grinder of

all adversaries in battle, that bull of the Kuru race, Jishnu wielding

the Gandiva, like a lion awaked from slumber, furiously

attacked Kama by means of straight-going arrows. And afflicted by the

arrowy shower (of Karna), that illustrious achiever of super-human

deeds soon displayed a thick shower of arrows in return. And he covered

Karna's car with countless shafts like the sun covering the different

worlds with rays. And like a lion attacked by an elephant, Arjuna,

taking some keen crescent-shaped arrows from out of his quiver and

drawing his bow to his ear, pierced the Suta's son on every part of his body. And that grinder of foes pierced Karna's arms and thighs and head and forehead p. 94 and neck and other principal

parts of his body with whetted shafts endued with the impetuosity of

the thunderbolt and shot from the Gandiva in battle. And

mangled and afflicted by the arrows shot by Partha the son of Pandu,

Vikartana's son, quitted the van of battle, and quickly took to flight,

like one elephant vanquished by another.'" Section LV "Vaisampayana said, 'After the

son of Radha had fled from the field, other warriors headed by

Duryodhana, one after another, fell upon the son of Pandu with their

respective divisions."ShankarBhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish Sent: Sat, November 28, 2009 1:58:55 PM Re: Karna -The Astrologer

DearBharadwaj ji,

I accept whenever I am wrong. If I am. I will surely accept it, but now

we cannot just say "He fled away" and expect people to believe it

because You said so.

If You think I am wrong, if You think Wikipedia is wrong, then the onus

of proof to substantiate what you claim, lies on You, Sir.

But I cannot accept that he rand and fled away many time from war. This

statement does not hold water even in a spoon for me.

regads,

Bhaskar.

In ancient_indian_ astrology, ShankaraBharadwaj

Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,

>

> "In none of these cases has he run

> away. Each incident must be read fully before we reach this judgement.

> Incidentally he defeated every Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the

> mahabharata war but spared life of each of them because he had no

> issues with them, he knew they were his younger brother, and due to

his

> promise given to his mother Kunti."

>

> This is just mix-up of things. In the events listed Karna was not

merely defeated - he *fled*, he *ran away*. From Chitrasena he ran,

leaving Duryodhana to his fate. During Gograhana he *ran*, and was

*chased* by Arjuna. He *ran* multiple times in the great war and was

*chased* by Bhimasena. He was defeated in many other instances, but

these are instances when he not only was defeated, but *fled*, when he

*showed his back to the enemy*.

>

> On all the four instances when the Pandavas fell short in front of

Karna, they were *defeated*, rendered helpless - they did not *run

away*. I am not ignoring the difference between getting defeated and

running away from the battle.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

> ____________ _________ _________ __

> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> ancient_indian_ astrology

> Sat, November 28, 2009 1:24:06 PM

> [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

>

>

> Dear all,

> // When he fought Drupada to arrest him and present him as

Gurudakshina to Drona

> When the Gandharva Citrasena fights them during Ghosha yatra

> During Gograhana, unable to withstand Arjuna

> In the war, he runs multiple times in the few days he fights - from

Bhima,

> Arjuna, Satyiki, Abhimanyu.//

> In none of these cases has he run away. Each incident must be read

fully before we reach this judgement. Incidentally he defeated every

Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the mahabharata war but spared life

of each of them because he had no issues with them, he knew they were

his younger brother, and due to his promise given to his mother Kunti.

> I request those who make such judgements to please read the

Mahabharata properly and religiously.

> In those days running away from a fight was considered as death. And

not even the worst of warriors used to run away but accept either defeat

or death, but running was not in the blood of such great warriors.

> I do not have time to present each incident in detail otherwise I

would have surely presented the same here.

> regards/Bhaskar.

>

Dear Bhaskar-ji,

The possible reply may create another controversy.

Anyway, I had read MBH in Bengali (Krittivas Ojha edn),

not the Sanskrit original. It depicted karna flee from some

scene.

Whether that was a correct depiction or not --- difficult

to tell (for me). Whether there is consistency in describing

Karna vis-a-vis other Pandava --- I do not know.

Whether 'interpretation and subsequent description' of

real characters changed over time - getting new biases ---

again difficult to tell.

As far as I know, some great literatures were revived during

Shunga Dynasty reign. Also some changes might have occurred

too. I remember that description of Shiva-s neck (Neelkantha)

changing from 'due to drinking Halahal' to 'due to strangulation

by Vishnu' has happened in different purana.

regards

Chakraborty

On Behalf Of BhaskarSaturday, November 28, 2009 2:41 PM Subject: Re: Karna -The Astrologer

Dear Friends,Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his statementswhich have been repeated several times during the day in last two daysabout Karna having fled and run away from war many times.In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater warriorbut could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava brothercould he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great Daanidid he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he as aKing of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from a battlefield ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King himself,could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his finestfriend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who several timesrun away from the battlefield ?Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you think ?regards/.Bhaskar.This Message was sent from Indian Oil Messaging Gateway, New Delhi, India. The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.

Dear Bhaskar ji,To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we bear of Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The image we bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional scholars but by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad light and tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the original, we get a totally, totally different picture of all these characters. The very reason why I am trying to argue here, is that. Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight. Then there would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses. ShankarBhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish Sent: Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM Re: Karna -The Astrologer

Dear Friends,

Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his statements

which have been repeated several times during the day in last two days

about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater warrior

but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava brother

could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great Daani

did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he as a

King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from a battle

field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King himself,

could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his finest

friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who several times

run away from the battlefield ?

Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you think ?

regards/.Bhaskar.

Dear Bharadwaj ji,

Hard work indeed, and the result ?

just one instance you could produce and that too against the mighty Arjuna? This

can also be reproduced from Ramayana as well as the Srimad Bhagavad for great

many other heroes. You are now citing an incident where Arjuna fought with

karna, and Karna removed himself from the battle field. So have many heroes from

the onslaughts of better warriors. Does this mean that they fled for good and

will never come back? Have you not read Ramayan where the two great Brothers

also at times when hurt, had to be carried away in their chariots for better

care? Should this be called fled away ?

I salute you people for twisting the facts and making one look totally evil,

though it was not so.

I request for the names of the other battles from where he fled, please.

regards/Bhaskar.

, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli

<shankarabharadwaj wrote:

>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,

>

> I would not have needed to " show " any proof if we all read Vyasa Maha Bharata

- these are facts well known. I lsited out instances when that happened, but I

guess it is

> better you refer MBH directly than I pasting the whole passages here.

>

> However as a quick reference I am pasting one instance of Gograhana here. It

is in Virata Parva, Sections 54-55. I am pasting KM Ganguly's verse-verse

translation of Vyasa Bharata here, what is relevant is in bold:

>

> " Section LIV

> " Vaisampayana said, 'Having

> disorganised the hostile host by force and having recovered the kine,

> that foremost of bowmen, desirous of fighting again, proceeded towards

> Duryodhana. And beholding the kine running wild towards the city of the

> Matsyas, the foremost warriors of the Kurus regarded Kiritin to have

> already achieved success. And all of a sudden they fell upon Arjuna who

> was advancing towards Duryodhana. And beholding their countless

> divisions firmly arrayed in order of battle with countless banners

> waving over them, that slayer of foes, addressing the son of the king

> of the Matsyas, said, 'Urge on, to the best of their

> p. 92

> speed by this road, these white

> steeds decked with golden bridles. Strive thou well, for I would

> approach this crowd of Kuru lions. Like an elephant desiring an

> encounter with another, the Suta's son of wicked soul eagerly

> desireth a battle with me. Take me, O prince, to him who hath grown so

> proud under the patronage of Duryodhana. Thus addressed, the son of

> Virata by means of those large steeds endued with the speed of the wind

> and furnished with golden armour, broke that array of cars and took the

> Pandava into the midst of the battle-field. And seeing this those

> mighty car-warriors, Chitrasena and Sangramajit and Satrusaha and Jaya,

> desirous of aiding Karna, rushed with arrows and long shafts, towards

> the advancing hero of Bharata's race. Then that foremost of men,

> inflamed with wrath, began to consume by means of fiery arrows shot

> from his bow, that array of cars belonging to those bulls among the

> Kurus, like a tremendous conflagration consuming a forest. Then, when

> the battle began to rage furiously, the Kuru hero, Vikarna, mounted on

> his car, approached that foremost of car-warriors, Partha, the younger

> brother of Bhima,--showering upon him terrible shafts thick and long.

> Then cutting Vikarna's bow furnished with a tough string and horns

> overlaid with gold, Arjuna cut off his flagstaff. And Vikarna,

> beholding his flagstaff cut off, speedily took to flight. And after

> Vikarna's flight, Satruntapa, unable to repress his ire, began to

> afflict Partha, that obstructer of foes and achiever of super-human

> feats, by means of a perfect shower of arrows. And drowned, as it were,

> in the midst of the Kuru-array, Arjuna, pierced by that mighty

> car-warrior,--king Satruntapa--pierced the latter in return with five

> and then slew his car-driver with ten shafts, and pierced by that bull

> of the Bharata race with an arrow capable of cleaving the thickest coat

> of mail, Satruntapa fell dead on the field of battle, like a tree from

> a mountain-top torn up by the wind. And those brave bulls among men,

> mangled in battle by that braver bull among men, began to waver and

> tremble like mighty forests shaken by the violence of the wind that

> blows at the time of the universal dissolution. And struck in battle by

> Partha, the son of Vasava, those well-dressed heroes among men--those

> givers of wealth endued with the energy of Vasava--defeated and

> deprived of life, began to measure their lengths on the ground, like

> full-grown Himalayan elephants clad in mails of black steel decked with

> gold. And like unto a raging fire consuming a forest at the close of

> summer, that foremost of men, wielding the Gandiva, ranged the

> field in all directions, slaying his foes in battle thus. And as the

> wind rangeth at will, scattering masses of clouds and fallen leaves in

> the season of spring, so did that foremost of

> car-warriors--Kiritin--ranged in that battle, scattering all his foes

> before him. And soon slaying the red steeds yoked unto the car of

> Sangramajit, the brother of Vikatana's son, that hero decked in diadem

> and endued with great vigour then cut off his antagonist's head by a

> crescent-shaped arrow. And when his brother was slain, Vikartana's son

> of the Suta caste, mustering all his prowess, rushed at Arjuna, like a huge

elephant with out-stretched tusks,

> p. 93

> or like a tiger at a mighty

> bull. And the son of Vikarna quickly pierced the son of Pandu with

> twelve shafts and all his steeds also in every part of their bodies and

> Virata's son too in his hand. And rushing impetuously against Vikarna's

> son who was suddenly advancing against him, Kiritin attacked him

> fiercely like Garuda of variegated plumage swooping down upon a snake.

> And both of them were foremost of bowmen, and both were endued with

> great strength, and both were capable of slaying foes. And seeing that

> an encounter was imminent between them, the Kauravas, anxious to

> witness it, stood aloof as lookers on. And beholding the offender

> Karna, the son of Pandu, excited to fury, and glad also at having him,

> soon made him, his horses, his car, and car-driver invisible by means

> of a frightful shower of countless arrows. And the warriors of the

> Bharatas headed by Bhishma, with their horses, elephants, and cars,

> pierced by Kiritin and rendered invisible by means of his shafts, their

> ranks also scattered and broken, began to wail aloud in grief. The

> illustrious and heroic Karna, however counteracting with numberless

> arrows of his own those shafts by Arjuna's hand, soon burst forth in

> view with bow and arrows like a blazing fire. And then there arose the

> sound of loud clapping of hands, with the blare of conchs and trumpets

> and kettle-drums made by the Kurus while they applauded Vikartana's son

> who filled the atmosphere with the sound of his bow-string flapping

> against his fence. And beholding Kiritin filling the air with the twang

> of Gandiva, and the upraised tail of the monkey that

> constituted his flag and that terrible creature yelling furiously from

> the top of his flagstaff, Karna sent forth a loud roar. And afflicting

> by means of his shafts, Vikartana's son along with his steeds, car and

> car-driver, Kiritin impetuously poured an arrowy shower on him, casting

> his eyes on the grandsire and Drona and Kripa. And Vikartana's son also

> poured upon Partha a heavy shower of arrows like a rain-charged cloud.

> And the diadem-decked Arjuna also covered Karna with a thick down-pour

> of keen-edged shafts. And the two heroes stationed on their cars,

> creating clouds of keen-edged arrows in a combat carried on by means of

> countless shafts and weapons, appeared to the spectators like the sun

> and the moon covered by clouds, and the light-handed Karna, unable to

> bear the sight of the foe, pierced the four horses of the diadem-decked

> hero with whetted arrows, and then struck his car-driver with three

> shafts, and his flagstaff also with three. Thus struck, that grinder of

> all adversaries in battle, that bull of the Kuru race, Jishnu wielding

> the Gandiva, like a lion awaked from slumber, furiously

> attacked Kama by means of straight-going arrows. And afflicted by the

> arrowy shower (of Karna), that illustrious achiever of super-human

> deeds soon displayed a thick shower of arrows in return. And he covered

> Karna's car with countless shafts like the sun covering the different

> worlds with rays. And like a lion attacked by an elephant, Arjuna,

> taking some keen crescent-shaped arrows from out of his quiver and

> drawing his bow to his ear, pierced the Suta'sson on every part of his body.

And that grinder of foes pierced Karna's arms and thighs and head and forehead

> p. 94

> and neck and other principal

> parts of his body with whetted shafts endued with the impetuosity of

> the thunderbolt and shot from the Gandivain battle. And

> mangled and afflicted by the arrows shot by Partha the son of Pandu,

> Vikartana's son, quitted the van of battle, and quickly took to flight,

> like one elephant vanquished by another.' "

>

> Section LV " Vaisampayana said, 'After the

> son of Radha had fled from the field, other warriors headed by

> Duryodhana, one after another, fell upon the son of Pandu with their

> respective divisions. "

>

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

> Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 1:58:55 PM

>

>

>

> DearBharadwaj ji,

>

> I accept whenever I am wrong. If I am. I will surely accept it, but now

> we cannot just say " He fled away " and expect people to believe it

> because You said so.

>

> If You think I am wrong, if You think Wikipedia is wrong, then the onus

> of proof to substantiate what you claim, lies on You, Sir.

>

> But I cannot accept that he rand and fled away many time from war. This

> statement does not hold water even in a spoon for me.

>

> regads,

>

> Bhaskar.

>

> In ancient_indian_ astrology, ShankaraBharadwaj

> Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> >

> > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> >

> > " In none of these cases has he run

> > away. Each incident must be read fully before we reach this judgement.

> > Incidentally he defeated every Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the

> > mahabharata war but spared life of each of them because he had no

> > issues with them, he knew they were his younger brother, and due to

> his

> > promise given to his mother Kunti. "

> >

> > This is just mix-up of things. In the events listed Karna was not

> merely defeated - he *fled*, he *ran away*. From Chitrasena he ran,

> leaving Duryodhana to his fate. During Gograhana he *ran*, and was

> *chased* by Arjuna. He *ran* multiple times in the great war and was

> *chased* by Bhimasena. He was defeated in many other instances, but

> these are instances when he not only was defeated, but *fled*, when he

> *showed his back to the enemy*.

> >

> > On all the four instances when the Pandavas fell short in front of

> Karna, they were *defeated*, rendered helpless - they did not *run

> away*. I am not ignoring the difference between getting defeated and

> running away from the battle.

> >

> > Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> > ancient_indian_ astrology

> > Sat, November 28, 2009 1:24:06 PM

> > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >

> >

> > Dear all,

> > // When he fought Drupada to arrest him and present him as

> Gurudakshina to Drona

> > When the Gandharva Citrasena fights them during Ghosha yatra

> > During Gograhana, unable to withstand Arjuna

> > In the war, he runs multiple times in the few days he fights - from

> Bhima,

> > Arjuna, Satyiki, Abhimanyu.//

> > In none of these cases has he run away. Each incident must be read

> fully before we reach this judgement. Incidentally he defeated every

> Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the mahabharata war but spared life

> of each of them because he had no issues with them, he knew they were

> his younger brother, and due to his promise given to his mother Kunti.

> > I request those who make such judgements to please read the

> Mahabharata properly and religiously.

> > In those days running away from a fight was considered as death. And

> not even the worst of warriors used to run away but accept either defeat

> or death, but running was not in the blood of such great warriors.

> > I do not have time to present each incident in detail otherwise I

> would have surely presented the same here.

> > regards/Bhaskar.

> >

>

Sir,

Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as a child

and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the character of

Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist them or

present something not right.

regards/bhaskar.

, ShankaraBharadwaj

>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,

>

> To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we bear of

Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The image we

bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional scholars but

by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad light and

tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the original, we get

a totally, totally different picture of all these characters. The very

reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

>

> Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight. Then there

would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

>

>

>

> Dear Friends,

>

> Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

statements

> which have been repeated several times during the day in last two days

> about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

>

> In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

>

> A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater warrior

> but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava brother

> could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great Daani

> did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he as a

> King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from a

battle

> field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King himself,

> could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his finest

> friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who several

times

> run away from the battlefield ?

>

> Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you think ?

>

> regards/.Bhaskar.

>

Dear Sirs,

Ganguly is not the ultimate. this was written just at the start of the century. And many times we do not have proper English words to write in place of sanskrit or hindi, but that does not mean that any document which I keep close to heart becomes the ultimate.

Please see what is written about Ganguly -

Besides van Buitenen's occasionally quirky usage, it must be said that his rendering can sometimes be rather wooden, particularly in the passages he chose to attempt in 'verse.' On the whole, however, he has given us a version which at its best reads well, and one that is mercifully free of irksome archaic forms. His edition is also extremely well-organized, and has a substantial and helpful scholarly apparatus (lengthy introductions, plot summaries, notes, full indexes, etc.) which Ganguli's edition lacks

Dear shankara Bharadwaj ji,

I had mentioned the word "Ranchod" very initially when we begun this discussion but you conveniently chose to forget it.

Read this -

For the safety of his people, Lord Krishna renounced war (hence Krishna is also known by the name Ranchod - meaning one who has left the battle field).

The Link http://indianbureaucratsdiary.blogspot.com/2008/02/dwarka-lost-atlantis.html

Now should we start calling him coward, or as having fled away or attribute such meanings to a most ordinary and sensible thing to have been done at that moment.

Even Kakikeyi carried away Dashrath ji to safety. Does it mean that we must use "uphaas" and attribute chiding type of words or meanings to such personalities ?

In any translation when the side who is defeated retreats it will be mentioned as "fled away" But you people are using the most derogator language and meaning in your intent when you frequently say that he fled away from several fights and run away. this is blatant untruth.

I have read the Mahabharata very properly.And so have the Ramayana , and understand the characters too well. Even if you read the Ramayana you will find certain references where our idols left the battlefield or were taken away . This is part and parcel of warfare, and saying again and again that they "run away and fled ' is not becoming to our status as mere ordinary mortals when talking about the Great pandava heroes. You are twisting the whole scenario and making these great men (Whether they appeal to our ideals or not is a seperate matter, but they remain great)appear as idiots and cowards, which is twisting history, and spreading falsehood. Sorry. Please prove the many battles he fled and run away and then talk detrimentally about Karna.

regards/bhaskar.

, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj wrote:>> Dear Bhaskar ji,> > I would not have needed to "show" any proof if we all read Vyasa Maha Bharata - these are facts well known. I lsited out instances when that happened, but I guess it is> better you refer MBH directly than I pasting the whole passages here. > > However as a quick reference I am pasting one instance of Gograhana here. It is in Virata Parva, Sections 54-55. I am pasting KM Ganguly's verse-verse translation of Vyasa Bharata here, what is relevant is in bold: > > "Section LIV > "Vaisampayana said, 'Having> disorganised the hostile host by force and having recovered the kine,> that foremost of bowmen, desirous of fighting again, proceeded towards> Duryodhana. And beholding the kine running wild towards the city of the> Matsyas, the foremost warriors of the Kurus regarded Kiritin to have> already achieved success. And all of a sudden they fell upon Arjuna who> was advancing towards Duryodhana. And beholding their countless> divisions firmly arrayed in order of battle with countless banners> waving over them, that slayer of foes, addressing the son of the king> of the Matsyas, said, 'Urge on, to the best of their> p. 92> speed by this road, these white> steeds decked with golden bridles. Strive thou well, for I would> approach this crowd of Kuru lions. Like an elephant desiring an> encounter with another, the Suta's son of wicked soul eagerly> desireth a battle with me. Take me, O prince, to him who hath grown so> proud under the patronage of Duryodhana. Thus addressed, the son of> Virata by means of those large steeds endued with the speed of the wind> and furnished with golden armour, broke that array of cars and took the> Pandava into the midst of the battle-field. And seeing this those> mighty car-warriors, Chitrasena and Sangramajit and Satrusaha and Jaya,> desirous of aiding Karna, rushed with arrows and long shafts, towards> the advancing hero of Bharata's race. Then that foremost of men,> inflamed with wrath, began to consume by means of fiery arrows shot> from his bow, that array of cars belonging to those bulls among the> Kurus, like a tremendous conflagration consuming a forest. Then, when> the battle began to rage furiously, the Kuru hero, Vikarna, mounted on> his car, approached that foremost of car-warriors, Partha, the younger> brother of Bhima,--showering upon him terrible shafts thick and long.> Then cutting Vikarna's bow furnished with a tough string and horns> overlaid with gold, Arjuna cut off his flagstaff. And Vikarna,> beholding his flagstaff cut off, speedily took to flight. And after> Vikarna's flight, Satruntapa, unable to repress his ire, began to> afflict Partha, that obstructer of foes and achiever of super-human> feats, by means of a perfect shower of arrows. And drowned, as it were,> in the midst of the Kuru-array, Arjuna, pierced by that mighty> car-warrior,--king Satruntapa--pierced the latter in return with five> and then slew his car-driver with ten shafts, and pierced by that bull> of the Bharata race with an arrow capable of cleaving the thickest coat> of mail, Satruntapa fell dead on the field of battle, like a tree from> a mountain-top torn up by the wind. And those brave bulls among men,> mangled in battle by that braver bull among men, began to waver and> tremble like mighty forests shaken by the violence of the wind that> blows at the time of the universal dissolution. And struck in battle by> Partha, the son of Vasava, those well-dressed heroes among men--those> givers of wealth endued with the energy of Vasava--defeated and> deprived of life, began to measure their lengths on the ground, like> full-grown Himalayan elephants clad in mails of black steel decked with> gold. And like unto a raging fire consuming a forest at the close of> summer, that foremost of men, wielding the Gandiva, ranged the> field in all directions, slaying his foes in battle thus. And as the> wind rangeth at will, scattering masses of clouds and fallen leaves in> the season of spring, so did that foremost of> car-warriors--Kiritin--ranged in that battle, scattering all his foes> before him. And soon slaying the red steeds yoked unto the car of> Sangramajit, the brother of Vikatana's son, that hero decked in diadem> and endued with great vigour then cut off his antagonist's head by a> crescent-shaped arrow. And when his brother was slain, Vikartana's son> of the Suta caste, mustering all his prowess, rushed at Arjuna, like a huge elephant with out-stretched tusks,> p. 93> or like a tiger at a mighty> bull. And the son of Vikarna quickly pierced the son of Pandu with> twelve shafts and all his steeds also in every part of their bodies and> Virata's son too in his hand. And rushing impetuously against Vikarna's> son who was suddenly advancing against him, Kiritin attacked him> fiercely like Garuda of variegated plumage swooping down upon a snake.> And both of them were foremost of bowmen, and both were endued with> great strength, and both were capable of slaying foes. And seeing that> an encounter was imminent between them, the Kauravas, anxious to> witness it, stood aloof as lookers on. And beholding the offender> Karna, the son of Pandu, excited to fury, and glad also at having him,> soon made him, his horses, his car, and car-driver invisible by means> of a frightful shower of countless arrows. And the warriors of the> Bharatas headed by Bhishma, with their horses, elephants, and cars,> pierced by Kiritin and rendered invisible by means of his shafts, their> ranks also scattered and broken, began to wail aloud in grief. The> illustrious and heroic Karna, however counteracting with numberless> arrows of his own those shafts by Arjuna's hand, soon burst forth in> view with bow and arrows like a blazing fire. And then there arose the> sound of loud clapping of hands, with the blare of conchs and trumpets> and kettle-drums made by the Kurus while they applauded Vikartana's son> who filled the atmosphere with the sound of his bow-string flapping> against his fence. And beholding Kiritin filling the air with the twang> of Gandiva, and the upraised tail of the monkey that> constituted his flag and that terrible creature yelling furiously from> the top of his flagstaff, Karna sent forth a loud roar. And afflicting> by means of his shafts, Vikartana's son along with his steeds, car and> car-driver, Kiritin impetuously poured an arrowy shower on him, casting> his eyes on the grandsire and Drona and Kripa. And Vikartana's son also> poured upon Partha a heavy shower of arrows like a rain-charged cloud.> And the diadem-decked Arjuna also covered Karna with a thick down-pour> of keen-edged shafts. And the two heroes stationed on their cars,> creating clouds of keen-edged arrows in a combat carried on by means of> countless shafts and weapons, appeared to the spectators like the sun> and the moon covered by clouds, and the light-handed Karna, unable to> bear the sight of the foe, pierced the four horses of the diadem-decked> hero with whetted arrows, and then struck his car-driver with three> shafts, and his flagstaff also with three. Thus struck, that grinder of> all adversaries in battle, that bull of the Kuru race, Jishnu wielding> the Gandiva, like a lion awaked from slumber, furiously> attacked Kama by means of straight-going arrows. And afflicted by the> arrowy shower (of Karna), that illustrious achiever of super-human> deeds soon displayed a thick shower of arrows in return. And he covered> Karna's car with countless shafts like the sun covering the different> worlds with rays. And like a lion attacked by an elephant, Arjuna,> taking some keen crescent-shaped arrows from out of his quiver and> drawing his bow to his ear, pierced the Suta'sson on every part of his body. And that grinder of foes pierced Karna's arms and thighs and head and forehead> p. 94> and neck and other principal> parts of his body with whetted shafts endued with the impetuosity of> the thunderbolt and shot from the Gandivain battle. And> mangled and afflicted by the arrows shot by Partha the son of Pandu,> Vikartana's son, quitted the van of battle, and quickly took to flight,> like one elephant vanquished by another.'"> > Section LV "Vaisampayana said, 'After the> son of Radha had fled from the field, other warriors headed by> Duryodhana, one after another, fell upon the son of Pandu with their> respective divisions."> > > Shankar> > > > ________________________________> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish > Sat, November 28, 2009 1:58:55 PM> Re: Karna -The Astrologer> > > > DearBharadwaj ji,> > I accept whenever I am wrong. If I am. I will surely accept it, but now> we cannot just say "He fled away" and expect people to believe it> because You said so.> > If You think I am wrong, if You think Wikipedia is wrong, then the onus> of proof to substantiate what you claim, lies on You, Sir.> > But I cannot accept that he rand and fled away many time from war. This> statement does not hold water even in a spoon for me.> > regads,> > Bhaskar.> > In ancient_indian_ astrology, ShankaraBharadwaj> Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:> >> > Dear Bhaskar ji,> >> > "In none of these cases has he run> > away. Each incident must be read fully before we reach this judgement.> > Incidentally he defeated every Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the> > mahabharata war but spared life of each of them because he had no> > issues with them, he knew they were his younger brother, and due to> his> > promise given to his mother Kunti."> >> > This is just mix-up of things. In the events listed Karna was not> merely defeated - he *fled*, he *ran away*. From Chitrasena he ran,> leaving Duryodhana to his fate. During Gograhana he *ran*, and was> *chased* by Arjuna. He *ran* multiple times in the great war and was> *chased* by Bhimasena. He was defeated in many other instances, but> these are instances when he not only was defeated, but *fled*, when he> *showed his back to the enemy*.> >> > On all the four instances when the Pandavas fell short in front of> Karna, they were *defeated*, rendered helpless - they did not *run> away*. I am not ignoring the difference between getting defeated and> running away from the battle.> >> > Shankar> >> >> >> > ____________ _________ _________ __> > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...> > ancient_indian_ astrology> > Sat, November 28, 2009 1:24:06 PM> > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer> >> >> > Dear all,> > // When he fought Drupada to arrest him and present him as> Gurudakshina to Drona> > When the Gandharva Citrasena fights them during Ghosha yatra> > During Gograhana, unable to withstand Arjuna> > In the war, he runs multiple times in the few days he fights - from> Bhima,> > Arjuna, Satyiki, Abhimanyu.//> > In none of these cases has he run away. Each incident must be read> fully before we reach this judgement. Incidentally he defeated every> Pandava brother (Except Arjuna) in the mahabharata war but spared life> of each of them because he had no issues with them, he knew they were> his younger brother, and due to his promise given to his mother Kunti.> > I request those who make such judgements to please read the> Mahabharata properly and religiously.> > In those days running away from a fight was considered as death. And> not even the worst of warriors used to run away but accept either defeat> or death, but running was not in the blood of such great warriors.> > I do not have time to present each incident in detail otherwise I> would have surely presented the same here.> > regards/Bhaskar.> >>

Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and then try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come back with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original does not contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and make an assertion. Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest here. ShankarBhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish Sent: Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM Re: Karna -The Astrologer

Sir,

Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as a child

and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the character of

Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist them or

present something not right.

regards/bhaskar.

ancient_indian_ astrology, ShankaraBharadwaj

>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,

>

> To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we bear of

Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The image we

bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional scholars but

by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad light and

tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the original, we get

a totally, totally different picture of all these characters. The very

reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

>

> Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight. Then there

would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

>

>

>

> Dear Friends,

>

> Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

statements

> which have been repeated several times during the day in last two days

> about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

>

> In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

>

> A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater warrior

> but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava brother

> could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great Daani

> did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he as a

> King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from a

battle

> field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King himself,

> could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his finest

> friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who several

times

> run away from the battlefield ?

>

> Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you think ?

>

> regards/.Bhaskar.

>

Dear freinds,

I guarantee that shri shankara Bharadwaj ji will not be able to cite any

references of Karna having run away from the battle field . But the

thread has brought out something for me. Having defended Karna for his

good qualities, brings me peace and contentment. After all he was the

eldest of the Pandavas.

And i thank shri bharadwaj ji for giving me a beautiful link on

Mahabharata by the author he mentioned, which is a good read undoubetdly

and shall read whenever I get the time. Inclinations are there. such

authors are rare and such epics are rare. i respect the author and one

need fot feel i have written anything against him. translation of epics

and to keep the original mood in place at the same time is not easy job.

Such great men of patience are not available these days.

I salute them and the great characters of mahabharata.

regards,

bhaskar.

Dear Bhaskar ji,You should, at the very least, completely read the references I posted, before coming back like this. You have not even read the references I gave:

- The Kurus along with Karna running away from the field (post 2)

- Draupadi swayamvara where Arjuna and Karna fought each other (post 2)

- Ghosha yatra from vana parva, where Karna ran away not able to

withstand Gandharvas, Duryodhana refusing to run away and getting

arrested by them (post 2)

- Gograhana where Arjuna defeated the whole Kuru army, where Karna ran away (post 1)

- Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena in the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed (post 2)

These are all there in the two posts I made, along with complete translation of relevant passages. So please stop putting the ball in my court, get to those references, read those, verify those. And do not come back with third rate sources, come back either with verses from MBH or a well acknowledged translation. And after that is done, understand that it remains your responsibility to know these things, and not my responsibility to "prove" - to bring to your notice things that you are not aware of, it by itself a thankless thing. When there is a text available, finding references should be your homework, at least after the exact instances and stories were given. ShankarBhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish Sent: Sat, November 28, 2009 5:08:24 PM Re: Karna -The Astrologer

Respected Sir,

You just cannot leave the arguments and flee away . You just cannot

write anything derogatory and unbecoming about characters of Mhabharata

and just leave the podium without either substantiating your statements

or else taking your words back.

Please prove all the instances where Karna ran away from the battle

field. I dont know of any. If you cannot prove any 3 then please take

your words back.

regards/Bhaskar.

ancient_indian_ astrology, ShankaraBharadwaj

>

> Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and then

try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come back

with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original does not

contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and make

an assertion.

>

> Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest here.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM

>

>

>

> Sir,

>

> Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as a

child

> and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the character of

> Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

>

> But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist them or

> present something not right.

>

> regards/bhaskar.

>

> ancient_indian_ astrology, ShankaraBharadwaj

> >

> > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> >

> > To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we bear of

> Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The image

we

> bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional scholars but

> by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad light

and

> tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the original, we

get

> a totally, totally different picture of all these characters. The very

> reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

> >

> > Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight. Then

there

> would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

> >

> > Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> > Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

> >

> >

> >

> > Dear Friends,

> >

> > Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

> statements

> > which have been repeated several times during the day in last two

days

> > about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

> >

> > In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

> >

> > A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater

warrior

> > but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava

brother

> > could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great

Daani

> > did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he as a

> > King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from a

> battle

> > field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King himself,

> > could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his finest

> > friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who several

> times

> > run away from the battlefield ?

> >

> > Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you think ?

> >

> > regards/.Bhaskar.

> >

>

Dear Shankara Bharadwaj ji,

I have not been giving you " third rate ' sources. One was the Wkipedia

and the other from the own author you referred and the same translation

you referred to.

Just by writing - he ran away from here, he ran away from there does not

prove anything. please give us the links from the same author you have

mentioned so that all could verify your claims.

You have not been able to give a single instance where karna fought and

ran away in single combat. You are using the word " ran away " as one uses

to a roadside sweeper who caught hold of a icecream from a childs hand

and ran away. All you ahve been able to cite (Which also not yet

produced but just wrote) is Karna running away when fighting alongwith

the Kurus. Does this make any sense ? When we are talking about karna

objectively and not in collective vein along with Kauravas then why are

you bringing in the Kauravs defeats a number of times at hands of

oppositions and then joining Karna alongwith them to prove that Karna

ran away?

It has already been accepted that Arjuna was a better combat due to

other reasons I gave, then why are you bringing in Arjun and Karna

combat repeatedly ? And where did he run away ? Karna ran away from the

Swayamvara ? Who gave you this wrong knowledge ? from where have you

filtered this ? Evn as a child we knew that Karna was ready to aim and

participate in the swayamvara. whers the question of his running away ?

How can you totally twist the truth to such henious type of

misunderatnding brough through clouded and impaired visions.

bhaskar.

, ShankaraBharadwaj

>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,

>

> You should, at the very least, completely read the references I

posted, before coming back like this. You have not even read the

references I gave:

>

> - The Kurus along with Karna running away from the field (post 2)

> - Draupadi swayamvara where Arjuna and Karna fought each other (post

2)

> - Ghosha yatra from vana parva, where Karna ran away not able to

> withstand Gandharvas, Duryodhana refusing to run away and getting

> arrested by them (post 2)

> - Gograhana where Arjuna defeated the whole Kuru army, where Karna ran

away (post 1)

> - Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena in

the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed (post 2)

>

> These are all there in the two posts I made, along with complete

translation of relevant passages. So please stop putting the ball in my

court, get to those references, read those, verify those. And do not

come back with third rate sources, come back either with verses from MBH

or a well acknowledged translation.

>

> And after that is done, understand that it remains your responsibility

to know these things, and not my responsibility to " prove " - to bring to

your notice things that you are not aware of, it by itself a thankless

thing. When there is a text available, finding references should be your

homework, at least after the exact instances and stories were given.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 5:08:24 PM

>

>

>

> Respected Sir,

>

> You just cannot leave the arguments and flee away . You just cannot

> write anything derogatory and unbecoming about characters of

Mhabharata

> and just leave the podium without either substantiating your

statements

> or else taking your words back.

>

> Please prove all the instances where Karna ran away from the battle

> field. I dont know of any. If you cannot prove any 3 then please take

> your words back.

>

> regards/Bhaskar.

>

> >

> > Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and

then

> try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come back

> with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original does

not

> contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and make

> an assertion.

> >

> > Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest here.

> >

> > Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> > Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM

> >

> >

> >

> > Sir,

> >

> > Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as a

> child

> > and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the character of

> > Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

> >

> > But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist them

or

> > present something not right.

> >

> > regards/bhaskar.

> >

> > ancient_indian_ astrology,

ShankaraBharadwaj

> > Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> > >

> > > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> > >

> > > To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we bear of

> > Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The image

> we

> > bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional scholars

but

> > by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad light

> and

> > tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the original, we

> get

> > a totally, totally different picture of all these characters. The

very

> > reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

> > >

> > > Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight. Then

> there

> > would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

> > >

> > > Shankar

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> > > ancient_indian_ astrology

> > > Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

> > > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Dear Friends,

> > >

> > > Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

> > statements

> > > which have been repeated several times during the day in last two

> days

> > > about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

> > >

> > > In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

> > >

> > > A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater

> warrior

> > > but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava

> brother

> > > could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great

> Daani

> > > did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he as

a

> > > King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from a

> > battle

> > > field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King

himself,

> > > could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his finest

> > > friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who several

> > times

> > > run away from the battlefield ?

> > >

> > > Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you think

?

> > >

> > > regards/.Bhaskar.

> > >

> >

>

Sir,

Kindly provide the links as you did for one previous message.

regards,

Bhaskar.

, ShankaraBharadwaj

>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,

>

> Why are you repeating? Why do not you read the references?

>

> 1. Did my references not contain explicit mention of Karna running

away while fighting Bhimasena in the war?

> 2. Did they not mention that Karna fled while fighting Gandharavas

while Duryodhana did not run and was arrested during ghosha yatra?

>

> If this is not reference of fleeing, then what is reference?

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

>

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 6:41:34 PM

>

>

>

> Dear Shankara Bharadwaj ji,

>

> I have not been giving you " third rate ' sources. One was the Wkipedia

> and the other from the own author you referred and the same

translation

> you referred to.

>

> Just by writing - he ran away from here, he ran away from there does

not

> prove anything. please give us the links from the same author you have

> mentioned so that all could verify your claims.

>

> You have not been able to give a single instance where karna fought

and

> ran away in single combat. You are using the word " ran away " as one

uses

> to a roadside sweeper who caught hold of a icecream from a childs hand

> and ran away. All you ahve been able to cite (Which also not yet

> produced but just wrote) is Karna running away when fighting alongwith

> the Kurus. Does this make any sense ? When we are talking about karna

> objectively and not in collective vein along with Kauravas then why

are

> you bringing in the Kauravs defeats a number of times at hands of

> oppositions and then joining Karna alongwith them to prove that Karna

> ran away?

>

> It has already been accepted that Arjuna was a better combat due to

> other reasons I gave, then why are you bringing in Arjun and Karna

> combat repeatedly ? And where did he run away ? Karna ran away from

the

> Swayamvara ? Who gave you this wrong knowledge ? from where have you

> filtered this ? Evn as a child we knew that Karna was ready to aim and

> participate in the swayamvara. whers the question of his running away

?

> How can you totally twist the truth to such henious type of

> misunderatnding brough through clouded and impaired visions.

>

> bhaskar.

>

> >

> > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> >

> > You should, at the very least, completely read the references I

> posted, before coming back like this. You have not even read the

> references I gave:

> >

> > - The Kurus along with Karna running away from the field (post 2)

> > - Draupadi swayamvara where Arjuna and Karna fought each other (post

> 2)

> > - Ghosha yatra from vana parva, where Karna ran away not able to

> > withstand Gandharvas, Duryodhana refusing to run away and getting

> > arrested by them (post 2)

> > - Gograhana where Arjuna defeated the whole Kuru army, where Karna

ran

> away (post 1)

> > - Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena in

> the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed (post 2)

> >

> > These are all there in the two posts I made, along with complete

> translation of relevant passages. So please stop putting the ball in

my

> court, get to those references, read those, verify those. And do not

> come back with third rate sources, come back either with verses from

MBH

> or a well acknowledged translation.

> >

> > And after that is done, understand that it remains your

responsibility

> to know these things, and not my responsibility to " prove " - to bring

to

> your notice things that you are not aware of, it by itself a thankless

> thing. When there is a text available, finding references should be

your

> homework, at least after the exact instances and stories were given.

> >

> > Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> > Sat, November 28, 2009 5:08:24 PM

> >

> >

> >

> > Respected Sir,

> >

> > You just cannot leave the arguments and flee away . You just cannot

> > write anything derogatory and unbecoming about characters of

> Mhabharata

> > and just leave the podium without either substantiating your

> statements

> > or else taking your words back.

> >

> > Please prove all the instances where Karna ran away from the battle

> > field. I dont know of any. If you cannot prove any 3 then please

take

> > your words back.

> >

> > regards/Bhaskar.

> >

ShankaraBharadwaj

> > >

> > > Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and

> then

> > try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come

back

> > with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original does

> not

> > contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and

make

> > an assertion.

> > >

> > > Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest here.

> > >

> > > Shankar

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Sir,

> > >

> > > Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as a

> > child

> > > and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the character

of

> > > Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

> > >

> > > But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist them

> or

> > > present something not right.

> > >

> > > regards/bhaskar.

> > >

> > > ancient_indian_ astrology,

> ShankaraBharadwaj

> > > Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> > > >

> > > > To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we bear

of

> > > Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The

> > we

> > > bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional scholars

> but

> > > by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad

light

> > and

> > > tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the original,

we

> > get

> > > a totally, totally different picture of all these characters. The

> very

> > > reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

> > > >

> > > > Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight. Then

> > there

> > > would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

> > > >

> > > > Shankar

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > > > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> > > > ancient_indian_ astrology

> > > > Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

> > > > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Dear Friends,

> > > >

> > > > Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

> > > statements

> > > > which have been repeated several times during the day in last

two

> > days

> > > > about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

> > > >

> > > > In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

> > > >

> > > > A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater

> > warrior

> > > > but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava

> > brother

> > > > could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great

> > Daani

> > > > did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he

as

> a

> > > > King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from

a

> > > battle

> > > > field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King

> himself,

> > > > could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his

finest

> > > > friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who

several

> > > times

> > > > run away from the battlefield ?

> > > >

> > > > Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you

think

> ?

> > > >

> > > > regards/.Bhaskar.

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Dear Shankar ji,

You are evading the main issues of " karna running away " being proved

authentically.

You are just harping on

1) arjuna being stronger.

2) Kurus being adharmic.

3) karna having lost to Arjuna.

We know and accept all above 3 points. No use repeating this.

regards/Bhaskar.

, ShankaraBharadwaj

>

> Dear Sunil ji,

>

> Instead of reading " could have " and " should have " s, if we take even a

cursory view of the war

>

> - with Karna, Drona, Kripa etc all on one side, with three Rathis

Bhimasena, Arjuna and Satyiki on agression, the Kaurava side lost 7 out

of 11 Akshauhinis on a single day when Jayadratha was killed

> - with Karna as a helpless witness, Bhimasena had slain 25 brothers of

Duryodhana on that single day with single hand, while repeatedly

demolishing Karna with the other hand

> - Dusshasana was killed with Karna as the witness

>

>

> the Kaurava side was reasonably strong when Bhishma was there - after

him, with his only absence, NONE of the warriors on Kaurava side could

do ANYTHING about the loss.

>

> If Krishna " saved " Arjuna, Arjuna did save the whole world by his

abstention of Pasupata and Brahmastra. So this is just a useless debate

as of who is stronger - Arjuna alone during Gograhana, gave enough

exhibition of what he is, and what the whole Kuru host is.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

> Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 6:55:02 PM

> Re: Re: Karna -The Astrologer

>

>

> Dear Shankarji,

>

> There is a saying that Baali was a Veer, Bali was a Veer so was

Hanuman ( some say Hanuman was half as compared to Baali and Bali) but

never a hero will be born equal to Karna. It is rightly so.

>

> In the Mahabharata war Lord Krishna lowered the Ratha to save Arjuna

otherwise Karna's arrow would have severed Arjuna's head. Lord Krishna

told that to Arjuna. Even Hanuman said superlatively about Karna. In the

cattle capture episode Arjuna used a mohini arrow and all the kaurava

heroes swooned and Arjuna recovered the Cattle. Even Bhishma was

helpless. While Arjuna gets his credit for recovering the cattle there

was no dicredeit to Karna. Karna was so very faithful to his friend that

he refused to go to Pandava side and that was exemplary. Again when

Indra asked Karna to give him the Kavacha Karna knew that it was Indra

in disguise as his father Surya told him in advance but Karna did no

hesitate to give his kavacha to Indra. There is no other such example in

the Indian texts. Karna's heroics are endless. Do you think without Lord

Krishna's help Arjuna would have won. If Lord Krishna would not have

been on the Pandava side Karna would have won the war

> for Duryodhana. Karna promised to his mother that he would not killl

the four pandavas other than Arjuna and that is why he did not fight

with Bhima. While fighting with the gandharvas karna did not use the

Brahmastra and that is why it appears to you that he lost. Against the

mayavi Gandharvas a human being cannot fight a straight war and this

should be kept in kind.

>

> Regards,

>

> Suni K. Bhattacharjya

>

>

>

> --- On Sat, 11/28/09, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli

<shankarabharadwaj@ > wrote:

>

>

> >ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ >

> >Re: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >ancient_indian_ astrology

> >Saturday, November 28, 2009, 4:35 AM

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >Dear Bhaskar ji,

> >

> >You should, at the very least, completely read the references I

references I gave:

> >

> >> - Draupadi swayamvara where Arjuna and Karna fought each other

(post 2)

> >> - Ghosha yatra from vana parva, where Karna ran away not able to

> >withstand Gandharvas, Duryodhana refusing to run away and getting

> >arrested by them (post 2)

> >> - Gograhana where Arjuna defeated the whole Kuru army, where Karna

ran away (post 1)

> >> - Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena

in the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed (post 2)

> >

> >These are all there in the two posts I made, along with complete

> >

> >And after that is done, understand that it remains your

responsibility to know these things, and not my responsibility to

" prove " - to bring to your notice things that you are not aware of, it

by itself a thankless thing. When there is a text available, finding

references should be your homework, at least after the exact instances

and stories were given.

> >

> >Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish@ .co. in>

> >Sat, November 28, 2009 5:08:24 PM

> >[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >

> >>Respected Sir,

> >

> >>You just cannot leave the arguments and flee away . You just cannot

> >>write anything derogatory and unbecoming about characters of

Mhabharata

> >>and just leave the podium without either substantiating your

statements

> >>or else taking your words back.

> >

> >>Please prove all the instances where Karna ran away from the battle

> >>field. I dont know of any. If you cannot prove any 3 then please

take

> >>your words back.

> >

> >>regards/Bhaskar.

> >

> >>ancient_indian_ astrology,

ShankaraBharadwaj

> >>Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> >>>

> >>> Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and

then

> >>try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come

back

> >>with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original does

not

> >>contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and

make

> >>an assertion.

> >>>

> >>> Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest here.

> >>>

> >>> Shankar

> >>>

> >>>

> >>>

> >>> ____________ _________ _________ __

> >>> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> >>> ancient_indian_ astrology

> >>> Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM

> >>> [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >>>

> >>>

> >>>

> >>> Sir,

> >>>

> >>> Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as a

> >>child

> >>> and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the character

of

> >>> Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

> >>>

> >>> But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist them

or

> >>> present something not right.

> >>>

> >>> regards/bhaskar.

> >>>

> >>> ancient_indian_ astrology,

ShankaraBharadwaj

> >>> Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> >>> >

> >>> > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> >>> >

> >>> > To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we bear

of

> >>> Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The

> >>we

> >>> bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional scholars

but

> >>> by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad

light

> >>and

> >>> tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the original,

we

> >>get

> >>> a totally, totally different picture of all these characters. The

very

> >>> reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

> >>> >

> >>> > Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight. Then

> >>there

> >>> would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

> >>> >

> >>> > Shankar

> >>> >

> >>> >

> >>> >

> >>> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> >>> > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> >>> > ancient_indian_ astrology

> >>> > Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

> >>> > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >>> >

> >>> >

> >>> >

> >>> > Dear Friends,

> >>> >

> >>> > Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

> >>> statements

> >>> > which have been repeated several times during the day in last

two

> >>days

> >>> > about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

> >>> >

> >>> > In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

> >>> >

> >>> > A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater

> >>warrior

> >>> > but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava

> >>brother

> >>> > could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great

> >>Daani

> >>> > did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he

as a

> >>> > King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from

a

> >>> battle

> >>> > field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King

himself,

> >>> > could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his

finest

> >>> > friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who

several

> >>> times

> >>> > run away from the battlefield ?

> >>> >

> >>> > Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you

think ?

> >>> >

> >>> > regards/.Bhaskar.

> >>> >

> >>>

> >

> >

> >

>

Dear Shankar bharadwaj ji,

You are not the only one well versant with sahstras here in this Group.

Some people do not show their spirituality though they may be, but talk

of other things on face which the public likes. This does not mean that

they are not spiritual or knowledgable.

Who is Vyasa, again you will not be the only one to know here.

I too know what is the class of Wikipedia, but do not feel fit enough to

pass comments on same.

The reference you gave of MBH is what I have been giving in almost all

my postings. You seem to forget this.

I do not gain points or bandwidth - for what and from where ? I did not

understand. Please specify clearly however cheap it may sound does not

matter. On the contrary I may have lost few thousand rupees due to the

hours spent on trying to clear this issue.

The link you are giving my dear, is the same from where I too have been

quoting. Please check again. You only have Wikipedia clouding your mind

or Karna as evil clouding your vision. Please go beyond it and you will

find my references coming straight from the same link You provided.

I am demanding proofs from you only for the statements which I find are

untruth, falsehood and manipulated.

Not providing proof for them itself proves of their unauthentic nature.

regards/Bhaskar.

, ShankaraBharadwaj

>

> Dear Bhaskar ji,

>

> Do you understand the difference between Rajaji's version and Vyasa's

version of MBH? Do you understand what is first rate (Vyasa) and what is

second rate (Rajaji or any such thing), and what is third rate (wiki)?

>

> Instead of trying to gain points and waste time and bandwidth, why

don't you read some of the material I posted, or better, read Vyasa

Bharata?

>

> I tried thrice to get this thread on track, with focus on the topic.

With the hope that you would at least read the material I posted. But

you are more interested in demanding proofs.

>

> But now I understand, my initial decision to stay out was better.

Further provocation from you, is not going to get me back on this

discussion. If you are interested in this matter, you can read MBH in

Sanskrit which is available in Vedic reserve of Maharshi University of

management site (http://is1.mum.edu/vedicreserve/itihas.htm). If you

need a translation, the translation of whole text is available at

http://www.bharatadesam.com/spiritual/mahabharata/index.php. In fact I

gave the Parva name and section numbers along with text in my posts, so

that one can easily relate them with original text. That was futile.

>

> For this thread, this is all I have.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

>

> Sat, November 28, 2009 7:16:01 PM

>

>

> Dear friends,

>

> This is what Shri Bharadwaj ji writes -

>

> // Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena in

the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed //

>

> This is what has been mentioned in the same source he gave us and

which he calls as " third rate " .

>

> http://www.mahabhar ataonline. com/rajaji/ mahabharata_ summary_89.

phpIn the renewed and fierce battle between Bhima and Karna, Bhima lost

his horses and charioteer. Soon his chariot also was smashed to pieces.

Then, Bhima hurled his spear at Karna who was in his chariot and as

Karna parried it with his shaft, Bhima advanced with sword and shield.

> But Karna broke the shield at once with his shafts. Then, Bhima

whirled his sword and hurled it, and it cut Karna's bow into two and

fell on the ground. But Karna took up yet another bow and assailed Bhima

with arrows more fiercely than before.

> Bhima, in a fit of uncontrollable rage, sprang upon Karna. Radheya

took cover behind his flagstaff and escaped destruction. Thereupon,

Bhima jumped out of Karna's car down into the field of battle where,

deprived of all arms, he used the elephants lying dead on the ground to

protect himself from Karna's arrows and continued the fight.

> He picked up anything he could lay hands upon, wheels of broken

chariots, the limbs of horses and elephants that were lying about, and

hurling them at Karna, kept him engaged without interval. But this could

not long continue and Bhima was soon at a great disadvantage. Karna said

exultingly:

> " Foolish glutton, you do not know the science of war; why do you

engage yourself in battle here? Go to the jungle and fill yourself with

fruits and roots and grow fat. You are a savage, not fit for kshatriya

battle. Get away! " Hurling insulting taunts at him, he made the helpless

Bhima burn with rage, but mindful of his word to Kunti, refrained from

killing him.

> The above does not mean that Bhima was a coward or ran away. In war

everytime whenever the lost opponent leaves after having been lost, does

not mean that he has run away. Talking about Mahabharata, and its

characters,is a seperate matter, and having read it properly and

understood the characters actually, is quite another. I advise him to

read the same references which he asked me to read before advising me

first to read them. In any case I need not read the Mahabharata for as I

mentioned previously I live with those characters daily and do not need

references. It is for his knowledge that I have put up these.

> Bhaskar.

>

> >

> > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> >

> > You should, at the very least, completely read the references I

references I gave:

> >

> > - Draupadi swayamvara where Arjuna and Karna fought each other (post

2)

> > - Ghosha yatra from vana parva, where Karna ran away not able to

> > withstand Gandharvas, Duryodhana refusing to run away and getting

> > arrested by them (post 2)

> > - Gograhana where Arjuna defeated the whole Kuru army, where Karna

ran away (post 1)

> > - Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena in

the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed (post 2)

> >

> > These are all there in the two posts I made, along with complete

> >

> > And after that is done, understand that it remains your

and stories were given.

> >

> > Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> > Sat, November 28, 2009 5:08:24 PM

> >

> >

> >

> > Respected Sir,

> >

> > You just cannot leave the arguments and flee away . You just cannot

> > write anything derogatory and unbecoming about characters of

Mhabharata

> > and just leave the podium without either substantiating your

statements

> > or else taking your words back.

> >

> > Please prove all the instances where Karna ran away from the battle

> > field. I dont know of any. If you cannot prove any 3 then please

take

> > your words back.

> >

> > regards/Bhaskar.

> >

ShankaraBharadwaj

> > >

> > > Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and

then

> > try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come

back

> > with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original does

not

> > contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and

make

> > an assertion.

> > >

> > > Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest here.

> > >

> > > Shankar

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Sir,

> > >

> > > Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as a

> > child

> > > and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the character

of

> > > Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

> > >

> > > But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist them

or

> > > present something not right.

> > >

> > > regards/bhaskar.

> > >

> > > ancient_indian_ astrology,

ShankaraBharadwaj

> > > Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> > > >

> > > > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> > > >

> > > > To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we bear

of

> > > Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The

> > we

> > > bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional scholars

but

> > > by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad

light

> > and

> > > tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the original,

we

> > get

> > > a totally, totally different picture of all these characters. The

very

> > > reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

> > > >

> > > > Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight. Then

> > there

> > > would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

> > > >

> > > > Shankar

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > > > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> > > > ancient_indian_ astrology

> > > > Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

> > > > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Dear Friends,

> > > >

> > > > Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

> > > statements

> > > > which have been repeated several times during the day in last

two

> > days

> > > > about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

> > > >

> > > > In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

> > > >

> > > > A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater

> > warrior

> > > > but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava

> > brother

> > > > could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a great

> > Daani

> > > > did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he

as a

> > > > King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away from

a

> > > battle

> > > > field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King

himself,

> > > > could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his

finest

> > > > friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who

several

> > > times

> > > > run away from the battlefield ?

> > > >

> > > > Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you

think ?

> > > >

> > > > regards/.Bhaskar.

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

I do not understand why are we talking of the other characters in the

MBH. And also why we are comparing two brothers and great warriors

Arjuna and Karna unnecessarily. Does this make sense ? The whole point

of dissention is that Karna is being spoken of having run away again and

again. Not a single proof has been given of his having run away froma

single combat.

By the way how can Bhishmas and Dronas astra be negated by Arjuna since

he also has those ? Are they allies or foes ?

Every post of yours and reference given has been read completely and

instead a blown up image of karna as being evil is being painted

unnecessarily without cause or reasons.

How many times Karna had to bite dust ? Please read the MBH properly and

one will find that every warrior had to beat the dust in front of one

or the other warriors. So what is proposed here ? A Lion should meet a

mouse in combat ?

I too can List instances when the same warriors you propogate were

reduced to dust in front of some other warrior. What is so great in this

when a war of such magnum opus is being played ?

Who is one to decide that Karna had no valour as equal to Arjuna or

Bhima ? What falsehood is this ? I ask you to read what Krishna and

Bhishma said to Karna when he met them. You mayvread this from the same

source you gave us, which you now must not call as third rate since you

yourself gave us that source.

Please prove that Karna ran away several times and do not bring the

other characters of MBH in this medley.

Bhaskar.

, ShankaraBharadwaj

>

> Dear Sunil ji,

>

> 1. Karna's Brahmastra is as good as not there, because he was cursed

that it will not be usable when required.

> 2. Bhishma or Drona having the astras means nothing, since any one of

their astras will be negated by Arjuna who also has those.

> 3. Bhishma or Drona with thier helplessness led to the war, and they

were equally obliged against the usage of any such astra. They did no

favor by not using them, because usage would hardly make any difference.

> 4. Bhishma or Drona had no *stakes* in victory, so their usage of such

weapon is ruled out. On the other hand, the real restraint is observed

by Arjuna who had stakes in the war, in the *victory*, not just as a

participant but as a party to it.

>

> Coming to Karna, people are going in loops over this without even

reading the posts I made on these along with exact passages, for the

simple reason that they have a blown up image of Karna in their minds

and find it hard to reconcile it with what exactly he was. Please check

for yourself, how many times Karna had to bite the dust, in front of

Arjuna, Bhimasena, Abhimanyu, Satyiki, Gandharvas, Drupada's army all

through the epic. There is no point in we arguing when the huge epic of

a lakh verses stares at our face. The primary reason I entered this

thread is to demolish that false image.

>

> 1. First of all, Karna is not comparable in valor to those like

Bhimasena or Arjuna

> 2. Secondly, he has the inferior quality of running away from the

field, which none of the celebrated warriors ever did

> 3. Thirdly, he has a bad mouth - he badmouthed Yudhistira, Bhimasena,

Nakula and Sahadeva when he had an upper hand. On the contrary, see that

though Bhima vanquished Karna many times in a single day he did not

badmouth Karna. One occasion when Karna catches hold of Bhima, he

insults Bhima - immediately Arjuna renders Karna helpless first with

weapons, and then showing him the qualitative difference between him and

Bhimasena, and how mean Karna has been by badmouthing and how

qualitatively superior Bhimasena is when he defeated Karna multiple

times but has observed restraint on his words.

>

> So much for a great warrior!

>

> You can list instances when he did not ditch Duryodhana, I will give

you instances when he did - by running away for his life and leaving

Duryodhana to his fate while fighting Gandharvas. You can list instances

when he showed great valor, I will show you instances when he was

reduced to nothing. You can list instances when he admonishes

Duryodhana, I will show you instances when he architected the vilest of

designs.

>

> And a noble man is he who stands for the first kind in all the above

cases, not opportunistically choses either this or that. And almost

everyone is agreeing on this.

>

> But even if I make a hundred more posts on this, it is not going to

make any difference, we will still repeating these same points even then

- because it is about the long standing notions people have, which do

not change with email threads. I guess it will not serve any purpose to

exchange mails like this.

>

> Shankar

>

>

>

> Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya

>

> Sun, November 29, 2009 8:31:49 AM

> Re: Re: Karna -The Astrologer

>

>

> Dear Shankarji,

>

> You are ignoring that Bhishma too had the Pasupata and because of that

even the mighty Parashurama, could not defeat him. That is also the

reason why Lord Krishna asked Arjuna to get the Pasupata from Lord

Shiva. Karna and Drona also had the Brahmastra. So don't you want to say

that these three warriors from the Kaurava side also saved the world.

Ashwatthama did have the Brahmastra but did not know how to control that

and the Mahabharata tells us the consequences of that. Are you not aware

of this?

>

> Karna could have killed Bhima but he had given promise to his mother

Kunti that he would not kill Yudhiasthira, Bhima, Sahadeva and Nakula.

Are you not aware of this?

>

> If you have read the Mahabharata Lord Krishna himself indicated that

Karna was better than Arjuna. When Karna's arrow pushed away Arjuna's

rath only slightly and Arjuna's arrow pushed away Karna's rath

considerably then Arjuna was laughing at Karna's sterngth but Lord

Krishna told him that Karna's arrow was more powerful than that of

Arjuna. Arjuna's rath did not move much because of the weight of Hanuman

and of Lord Krishna Himself. Hope all these instances will make you

realise the greatness.

>

> Regards,

>

> Sunil K. Bhattacharjya

>

>

> --- On Sat, 11/28/09, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli

>

>

> >ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ >

> >[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >Saturday, November 28, 2009, 6:43 AM

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >Dear Sunil ji,

> >

> >Instead of reading " could have " and " should have " s, if we take even a

cursory view of the war

> >

> > - with Karna, Drona, Kripa etc all on one side, with three Rathis

Bhimasena, Arjuna and Satyiki on agression, the Kaurava side lost 7 out

of 11 Akshauhinis on a single day when Jayadratha was killed

> > - with Karna as a helpless witness, Bhimasena had slain 25 brothers

of Duryodhana on that single day with single hand, while repeatedly

demolishing Karna with the other hand

> > - Dusshasana was killed with Karna as the witness

> >

> >

> >the Kaurava side was reasonably strong when Bhishma was there - after

him, with his only absence, NONE of the warriors on Kaurava side could

do ANYTHING about the loss.

> >

> >If Krishna " saved " Arjuna, Arjuna did save the

> > whole world by his abstention of Pasupata and Brahmastra. So this is

just a useless debate as of who is stronger - Arjuna alone during

Gograhana, gave enough exhibition of what he is, and what the whole Kuru

host is.

> >

> >Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya @>

> >Sat, November 28, 2009 6:55:02 PM

> >Re: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >

> > >

> >

> >

> >>

> >

> >Dear Shankarji,

> >

> >There is a saying that Baali was a Veer, Bali was a Veer so was

Hanuman ( some say Hanuman was half as compared to Baali and Bali) but

never a hero will be born equal to Karna. It is rightly so.

> >

> >In the Mahabharata war Lord Krishna lowered the Ratha to save Arjuna

otherwise Karna's arrow would have severed Arjuna's head. Lord Krishna

told that to Arjuna. Even Hanuman said superlatively about Karna. In the

cattle capture episode Arjuna used a mohini arrow and all the kaurava

heroes swooned and Arjuna recovered the Cattle. Even Bhishma was

helpless. While Arjuna gets his credit for recovering the cattle there

was no dicredeit to Karna.

> > Karna was so very faithful to his friend that he refused to go to

Pandava side and that was exemplary. Again when Indra asked Karna to

give him the Kavacha Karna knew that it was Indra in disguise as

> > his father Surya told him in advance but Karna did no hesitate to

give his kavacha to Indra. There is no other such example in the Indian

texts. Karna's heroics are endless. Do you think without Lord Krishna's

help Arjuna would have won. If Lord Krishna would not have been on the

Pandava side Karna would have won the war for Duryodhana. Karna promised

to his mother that he would not killl the four pandavas other than

Arjuna and that is why he did not fight with Bhima. While fighting with

the gandharvas karna did not use the Brahmastra and that is why it

appears to you that he lost. Against the mayavi Gandharvas a human being

cannot fight a straight war and this should be kept in kind.

> >

> >Regards,

> >

> >Suni K. Bhattacharjya

> >

> >

> >

> >--- On Sat, 11/28/09, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli

> >

> >

> >>ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ >

> >>Re: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >>ancient_indian_ astrology

> >>Saturday, November 28, 2009, 4:35 AM

> >>

> >>

> >>>>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>>>

> >>

> >>Dear Bhaskar ji,

> >>

> >>You should, at the very least, completely read the references I

references I gave:

> >>

> >> - The Kurus along with Karna running away from the field (post 2)

> >>>> - Draupadi swayamvara where Arjuna and Karna fought each other

(post 2)

> >>>> - Ghosha yatra from vana parva, where Karna ran away not able to

> >>withstand Gandharvas, Duryodhana refusing to run away and getting

> >>arrested by them (post 2)

> >>>> - Gograhana where Arjuna defeated the whole Kuru army, where

Karna ran away (post 1)

> >>>> - Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena

in the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed (post 2)

> >>

> >>These are all there in the two posts I made, along with complete

> >>

> >>And after that is done, understand that it remains your

and stories were given.

> >>

> >>Shankar

> >>

> >>

> >>

> Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish@ .co. in>

> >>ancient_indian_ astrology

> >>Sat, November 28, 2009 5:08:24 PM

> >>[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >>

> >> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>>>

> >>

> >>

> >>>>Respected Sir,

> >>

> >>>>You just cannot leave the arguments and flee away . You just

cannot

> >>>>write anything derogatory and unbecoming about characters of

Mhabharata

> >>>>and just leave the podium without either substantiating your

statements

> >>>>or else taking your words back.

> >>

> >>>>Please prove all the instances where Karna ran away from the

battle

> >>>>field. I dont know of any. If you cannot prove any 3 then please

take

> >>>>your words back.

> >>

> >>>>regards/Bhaskar.

> >>

> >>>>ancient_indian_ astrology,

ShankaraBharadwaj

> >>>>Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> >>>>>

> >>>>> Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and

then

> >>>>try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come

back

> >>>>with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original

does not

> >>>>contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and

make

> >>>>an assertion.

> >>>>>

> >>>>> Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest

here.

> >>>>>

> >>>>> Shankar

> >>>>>

> >>>>>

> >>>>>

> >>>>> ____________ _________ _________ __

> >>>>> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> >>>>> ancient_indian_ astrology

> >>>>> Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM

> >>>>> [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >>>>>

> >>>>>

> >>>>>

> >>>>> Sir,

> >>>>>

> >>>>> Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as

a

> >>>>child

> >>>>> and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the

character of

> >>>>> Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

> >>>>>

> >>>>> But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist

them or

> >>>>> present something not right.

> >>>>>

> >>>>> regards/bhaskar.

> >>>>>

> >>>>> ancient_indian_ astrology,

ShankaraBharadwaj

> >>>>> Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we

bear of

> >>>>> Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The

> >>>>we

> >>>>> bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional

scholars but

> >>>>> by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad

light

> >>>>and

> >>>>> tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the

original, we

> >>>>get

> >>>>> a totally, totally different picture of all these characters.

The very

> >>>>> reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight.

Then

> >>>>there

> >>>>> would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > Shankar

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> >>>>> > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> >>>>> > ancient_indian_ astrology

> >>>>> > Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

> >>>>> > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > Dear Friends,

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

> >>>>> statements

> >>>>> > which have been repeated several times during the day in last

two

> >>>>days

> >>>>> > about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater

> >>>>warrior

> >>>>> > but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava

> >>>>brother

> >>>>> > could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a

great

> >>>>Daani

> >>>>> > did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he

as a

> >>>>> > King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away

from a

> >>>>> battle

> >>>>> > field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King

himself,

> >>>>> > could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his

finest

> >>>>> > friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who

several

> >>>>> times

> >>>>> > run away from the battlefield ?

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you

think ?

> >>>>> >

> >>>>> > regards/.Bhaskar.

> >>>>> >

> >>>>>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

>

Dear friends,

Its time to end this thread now. We must move on to other topics.

Stagnation is not right.

It has been conclusively proved that Karna if has to be given a category

could only fit in the category of a " Hero " and not a " Zero " .

I request all the Learned members to please present their views in few

lines and bring this thread to a close. Remember that you do not have to

side against anyone or take this as an oppurtunity to grind an axe with

Bhaskar. Bhaskar is not an important friend or foe but a temporary

entity on this earth already been earmarked to be consigned to the

flames on a prefixed date. We must speak the truth what our heart and

soul feels and percieves.

So please speak out, Neelamji, Manoj Chandran ji, Gopikrishna ji and all

other valued members of this great Forum.

Love n regards,

Bhaskar.

Respected Sirs,

One of names of Krishna ji is RANCHODH. It should be enough to draw a conclusion

to the on going discussion.

regards

Kulbir

, " Bhaskar " <bhaskar_jyotish

wrote:

>

>

> I do not understand why are we talking of the other characters in the

> MBH. And also why we are comparing two brothers and great warriors

> Arjuna and Karna unnecessarily. Does this make sense ? The whole point

> of dissention is that Karna is being spoken of having run away again and

> again. Not a single proof has been given of his having run away froma

> single combat.

>

> By the way how can Bhishmas and Dronas astra be negated by Arjuna since

> he also has those ? Are they allies or foes ?

>

> Every post of yours and reference given has been read completely and

> instead a blown up image of karna as being evil is being painted

> unnecessarily without cause or reasons.

>

> How many times Karna had to bite dust ? Please read the MBH properly and

> one will find that every warrior had to beat the dust in front of one

> or the other warriors. So what is proposed here ? A Lion should meet a

> mouse in combat ?

>

> I too can List instances when the same warriors you propogate were

> reduced to dust in front of some other warrior. What is so great in this

> when a war of such magnum opus is being played ?

>

> Who is one to decide that Karna had no valour as equal to Arjuna or

> Bhima ? What falsehood is this ? I ask you to read what Krishna and

> Bhishma said to Karna when he met them. You mayvread this from the same

> source you gave us, which you now must not call as third rate since you

> yourself gave us that source.

>

> Please prove that Karna ran away several times and do not bring the

> other characters of MBH in this medley.

>

> Bhaskar.

>

>

>

>

> , ShankaraBharadwaj

> Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@> wrote:

> >

> > Dear Sunil ji,

> >

> > 1. Karna's Brahmastra is as good as not there, because he was cursed

> that it will not be usable when required.

> > 2. Bhishma or Drona having the astras means nothing, since any one of

> their astras will be negated by Arjuna who also has those.

> > 3. Bhishma or Drona with thier helplessness led to the war, and they

> were equally obliged against the usage of any such astra. They did no

> favor by not using them, because usage would hardly make any difference.

> > 4. Bhishma or Drona had no *stakes* in victory, so their usage of such

> weapon is ruled out. On the other hand, the real restraint is observed

> by Arjuna who had stakes in the war, in the *victory*, not just as a

> participant but as a party to it.

> >

> > Coming to Karna, people are going in loops over this without even

> reading the posts I made on these along with exact passages, for the

> simple reason that they have a blown up image of Karna in their minds

> and find it hard to reconcile it with what exactly he was. Please check

> for yourself, how many times Karna had to bite the dust, in front of

> Arjuna, Bhimasena, Abhimanyu, Satyiki, Gandharvas, Drupada's army all

> through the epic. There is no point in we arguing when the huge epic of

> a lakh verses stares at our face. The primary reason I entered this

> thread is to demolish that false image.

> >

> > 1. First of all, Karna is not comparable in valor to those like

> Bhimasena or Arjuna

> > 2. Secondly, he has the inferior quality of running away from the

> field, which none of the celebrated warriors ever did

> > 3. Thirdly, he has a bad mouth - he badmouthed Yudhistira, Bhimasena,

> Nakula and Sahadeva when he had an upper hand. On the contrary, see that

> though Bhima vanquished Karna many times in a single day he did not

> badmouth Karna. One occasion when Karna catches hold of Bhima, he

> insults Bhima - immediately Arjuna renders Karna helpless first with

> weapons, and then showing him the qualitative difference between him and

> Bhimasena, and how mean Karna has been by badmouthing and how

> qualitatively superior Bhimasena is when he defeated Karna multiple

> times but has observed restraint on his words.

> >

> > So much for a great warrior!

> >

> > You can list instances when he did not ditch Duryodhana, I will give

> you instances when he did - by running away for his life and leaving

> Duryodhana to his fate while fighting Gandharvas. You can list instances

> when he showed great valor, I will show you instances when he was

> reduced to nothing. You can list instances when he admonishes

> Duryodhana, I will show you instances when he architected the vilest of

> designs.

> >

> > And a noble man is he who stands for the first kind in all the above

> cases, not opportunistically choses either this or that. And almost

> everyone is agreeing on this.

> >

> > But even if I make a hundred more posts on this, it is not going to

> make any difference, we will still repeating these same points even then

> - because it is about the long standing notions people have, which do

> not change with email threads. I guess it will not serve any purpose to

> exchange mails like this.

> >

> > Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> > ________________________________

> > Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya@

> >

> > Sun, November 29, 2009 8:31:49 AM

> > Re: Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >

> >

> > Dear Shankarji,

> >

> > You are ignoring that Bhishma too had the Pasupata and because of that

> even the mighty Parashurama, could not defeat him. That is also the

> reason why Lord Krishna asked Arjuna to get the Pasupata from Lord

> Shiva. Karna and Drona also had the Brahmastra. So don't you want to say

> that these three warriors from the Kaurava side also saved the world.

> Ashwatthama did have the Brahmastra but did not know how to control that

> and the Mahabharata tells us the consequences of that. Are you not aware

> of this?

> >

> > Karna could have killed Bhima but he had given promise to his mother

> Kunti that he would not kill Yudhiasthira, Bhima, Sahadeva and Nakula.

> Are you not aware of this?

> >

> > If you have read the Mahabharata Lord Krishna himself indicated that

> Karna was better than Arjuna. When Karna's arrow pushed away Arjuna's

> rath only slightly and Arjuna's arrow pushed away Karna's rath

> considerably then Arjuna was laughing at Karna's sterngth but Lord

> Krishna told him that Karna's arrow was more powerful than that of

> Arjuna. Arjuna's rath did not move much because of the weight of Hanuman

> and of Lord Krishna Himself. Hope all these instances will make you

> realise the greatness.

> >

> > Regards,

> >

> > Sunil K. Bhattacharjya

> >

> >

> > --- On Sat, 11/28/09, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli

> <shankarabharadwaj@ > wrote:

> >

> >

> > >ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ >

> > >[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >ancient_indian_ astrology

> > >Saturday, November 28, 2009, 6:43 AM

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >

> > >Dear Sunil ji,

> > >

> > >Instead of reading " could have " and " should have " s, if we take even a

> cursory view of the war

> > >

> > > - with Karna, Drona, Kripa etc all on one side, with three Rathis

> Bhimasena, Arjuna and Satyiki on agression, the Kaurava side lost 7 out

> of 11 Akshauhinis on a single day when Jayadratha was killed

> > > - with Karna as a helpless witness, Bhimasena had slain 25 brothers

> of Duryodhana on that single day with single hand, while repeatedly

> demolishing Karna with the other hand

> > > - Dusshasana was killed with Karna as the witness

> > >

> > >

> > >the Kaurava side was reasonably strong when Bhishma was there - after

> him, with his only absence, NONE of the warriors on Kaurava side could

> do ANYTHING about the loss.

> > >

> > >If Krishna " saved " Arjuna, Arjuna did save the

> > > whole world by his abstention of Pasupata and Brahmastra. So this is

> just a useless debate as of who is stronger - Arjuna alone during

> Gograhana, gave enough exhibition of what he is, and what the whole Kuru

> host is.

> > >

> > >Shankar

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjya @>

> > >Sat, November 28, 2009 6:55:02 PM

> > >Re: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >

> > >Dear Shankarji,

> > >

> > >There is a saying that Baali was a Veer, Bali was a Veer so was

> Hanuman ( some say Hanuman was half as compared to Baali and Bali) but

> never a hero will be born equal to Karna. It is rightly so.

> > >

> > >In the Mahabharata war Lord Krishna lowered the Ratha to save Arjuna

> otherwise Karna's arrow would have severed Arjuna's head. Lord Krishna

> told that to Arjuna. Even Hanuman said superlatively about Karna. In the

> cattle capture episode Arjuna used a mohini arrow and all the kaurava

> heroes swooned and Arjuna recovered the Cattle. Even Bhishma was

> helpless. While Arjuna gets his credit for recovering the cattle there

> was no dicredeit to Karna.

> > > Karna was so very faithful to his friend that he refused to go to

> Pandava side and that was exemplary. Again when Indra asked Karna to

> give him the Kavacha Karna knew that it was Indra in disguise as

> > > his father Surya told him in advance but Karna did no hesitate to

> give his kavacha to Indra. There is no other such example in the Indian

> texts. Karna's heroics are endless. Do you think without Lord Krishna's

> help Arjuna would have won. If Lord Krishna would not have been on the

> Pandava side Karna would have won the war for Duryodhana. Karna promised

> to his mother that he would not killl the four pandavas other than

> Arjuna and that is why he did not fight with Bhima. While fighting with

> the gandharvas karna did not use the Brahmastra and that is why it

> appears to you that he lost. Against the mayavi Gandharvas a human being

> cannot fight a straight war and this should be kept in kind.

> > >

> > >Regards,

> > >

> > >Suni K. Bhattacharjya

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >--- On Sat, 11/28/09, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli

> > >

> > >

> > >>ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ >

> > >>Re: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >>ancient_indian_ astrology

> > >>Saturday, November 28, 2009, 4:35 AM

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>>>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >> >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>>>

> > >>

> > >>Dear Bhaskar ji,

> > >>

> > >>You should, at the very least, completely read the references I

> references I gave:

> > >>

> > >> - The Kurus along with Karna running away from the field (post 2)

> > >>>> - Draupadi swayamvara where Arjuna and Karna fought each other

> (post 2)

> > >>>> - Ghosha yatra from vana parva, where Karna ran away not able to

> > >>withstand Gandharvas, Duryodhana refusing to run away and getting

> > >>arrested by them (post 2)

> > >>>> - Gograhana where Arjuna defeated the whole Kuru army, where

> Karna ran away (post 1)

> > >>>> - Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena

> in the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed (post 2)

> > >>

> > >>These are all there in the two posts I made, along with complete

> translation of relevant passages. So please stop putting the ball in my

> come back with third rate sources, come back either with verses from MBH

> > >>

> > >>And after that is done, understand that it remains your

> responsibility to know these things, and not my responsibility to

> " prove " - to bring to your notice things that you are not aware of, it

> by itself a thankless thing. When there is a text available, finding

> references should be your homework, at least after the exact instances

> and stories were given.

> > >>

> > >>Shankar

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish@ .co. in>

> > >>Sat, November 28, 2009 5:08:24 PM

> > >>[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >>

> > >> >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>>>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>>>Respected Sir,

> > >>

> > >>>>You just cannot leave the arguments and flee away . You just

> cannot

> > >>>>write anything derogatory and unbecoming about characters of

> Mhabharata

> > >>>>and just leave the podium without either substantiating your

> statements

> > >>>>or else taking your words back.

> > >>

> > >>>>Please prove all the instances where Karna ran away from the

> battle

> > >>>>field. I dont know of any. If you cannot prove any 3 then please

> take

> > >>>>your words back.

> > >>

> > >>>>regards/Bhaskar.

> > >>

> > >>>>ancient_indian_ astrology,

> ShankaraBharadwaj

> > >>>>Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and

> then

> > >>>>try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come

> back

> > >>>>with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original

> does not

> > >>>>contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and

> make

> > >>>>an assertion.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest

> here.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Shankar

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> ____________ _________ _________ __

> > >>>>> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> > >>>>> ancient_indian_ astrology

> > >>>>> Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM

> > >>>>> [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Sir,

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as

> a

> > >>>>child

> > >>>>> and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the

> character of

> > >>>>> Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist

> them or

> > >>>>> present something not right.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> regards/bhaskar.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> ancient_indian_ astrology,

> ShankaraBharadwaj

> > >>>>> Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we

> bear of

> > >>>>> Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The

> image

> > >>>>we

> > >>>>> bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional

> scholars but

> > >>>>> by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad

> light

> > >>>>and

> > >>>>> tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the

> original, we

> > >>>>get

> > >>>>> a totally, totally different picture of all these characters.

> The very

> > >>>>> reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight.

> Then

> > >>>>there

> > >>>>> would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Shankar

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > >>>>> > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> > >>>>> > ancient_indian_ astrology

> > >>>>> > Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

> > >>>>> > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Dear Friends,

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

> > >>>>> statements

> > >>>>> > which have been repeated several times during the day in last

> two

> > >>>>days

> > >>>>> > about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater

> > >>>>warrior

> > >>>>> > but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava

> > >>>>brother

> > >>>>> > could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a

> great

> > >>>>Daani

> > >>>>> > did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he

> as a

> > >>>>> > King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away

> from a

> > >>>>> battle

> > >>>>> > field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King

> himself,

> > >>>>> > could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his

> finest

> > >>>>> > friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who

> several

> > >>>>> times

> > >>>>> > run away from the battlefield ?

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you

> think ?

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > regards/.Bhaskar.

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >

> > >

> >

>

How is it relevant in evaluating Karna or any other warrior? What divine purpose did Karna have, but for his inability to withstand the enemy, to run away from the field? Shankarkulbir <kulbirbains Sent: Sun, November 29, 2009 1:00:18 PMSubject:

Re: Karna -The Astrologer

Respected Sirs,

One of names of Krishna ji is RANCHODH. It should be enough to draw a conclusion to the on going discussion.

regards

Kulbir

ancient_indian_ astrology, "Bhaskar" <bhaskar_jyotish@ ...> wrote:

>

>

> I do not understand why are we talking of the other characters in the

> MBH. And also why we are comparing two brothers and great warriors

> Arjuna and Karna unnecessarily. Does this make sense ? The whole point

> of dissention is that Karna is being spoken of having run away again and

> again. Not a single proof has been given of his having run away froma

> single combat.

>

> By the way how can Bhishmas and Dronas astra be negated by Arjuna since

> he also has those ? Are they allies or foes ?

>

> Every post of yours and reference given has been read completely and

> instead a blown up image of karna as being evil is being painted

> unnecessarily without cause or reasons.

>

> How many times Karna had to bite dust ? Please read the MBH properly and

> one will find that every warrior had to beat the dust in front of one

> or the other warriors. So what is proposed here ? A Lion should meet a

> mouse in combat ?

>

> I too can List instances when the same warriors you propogate were

> reduced to dust in front of some other warrior. What is so great in this

> when a war of such magnum opus is being played ?

>

> Who is one to decide that Karna had no valour as equal to Arjuna or

> Bhima ? What falsehood is this ? I ask you to read what Krishna and

> Bhishma said to Karna when he met them. You mayvread this from the same

> source you gave us, which you now must not call as third rate since you

> yourself gave us that source.

>

> Please prove that Karna ran away several times and do not bring the

> other characters of MBH in this medley.

>

> Bhaskar.

>

>

>

>

> Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ > wrote:

> >

> > Dear Sunil ji,

> >

> > 1. Karna's Brahmastra is as good as not there, because he was cursed

> that it will not be usable when required.

> > 2. Bhishma or Drona having the astras means nothing, since any one of

> their astras will be negated by Arjuna who also has those.

> > 3. Bhishma or Drona with thier helplessness led to the war, and they

> were equally obliged against the usage of any such astra. They did no

> favor by not using them, because usage would hardly make any difference.

> > 4. Bhishma or Drona had no *stakes* in victory, so their usage of such

> weapon is ruled out. On the other hand, the real restraint is observed

> by Arjuna who had stakes in the war, in the *victory*, not just as a

> participant but as a party to it.

> >

> > Coming to Karna, people are going in loops over this without even

> reading the posts I made on these along with exact passages, for the

> simple reason that they have a blown up image of Karna in their minds

> and find it hard to reconcile it with what exactly he was. Please check

> for yourself, how many times Karna had to bite the dust, in front of

> Arjuna, Bhimasena, Abhimanyu, Satyiki, Gandharvas, Drupada's army all

> through the epic. There is no point in we arguing when the huge epic of

> a lakh verses stares at our face. The primary reason I entered this

> thread is to demolish that false image.

> >

> > 1. First of all, Karna is not comparable in valor to those like

> Bhimasena or Arjuna

> > 2. Secondly, he has the inferior quality of running away from the

> field, which none of the celebrated warriors ever did

> > 3. Thirdly, he has a bad mouth - he badmouthed Yudhistira, Bhimasena,

> Nakula and Sahadeva when he had an upper hand. On the contrary, see that

> though Bhima vanquished Karna many times in a single day he did not

> badmouth Karna. One occasion when Karna catches hold of Bhima, he

> insults Bhima - immediately Arjuna renders Karna helpless first with

> weapons, and then showing him the qualitative difference between him and

> Bhimasena, and how mean Karna has been by badmouthing and how

> qualitatively superior Bhimasena is when he defeated Karna multiple

> times but has observed restraint on his words.

> >

> > So much for a great warrior!

> >

> > You can list instances when he did not ditch Duryodhana, I will give

> you instances when he did - by running away for his life and leaving

> Duryodhana to his fate while fighting Gandharvas. You can list instances

> when he showed great valor, I will show you instances when he was

> reduced to nothing. You can list instances when he admonishes

> Duryodhana, I will show you instances when he architected the vilest of

> designs.

> >

> > And a noble man is he who stands for the first kind in all the above

> cases, not opportunistically choses either this or that. And almost

> everyone is agreeing on this.

> >

> > But even if I make a hundred more posts on this, it is not going to

> make any difference, we will still repeating these same points even then

> - because it is about the long standing notions people have, which do

> not change with email threads. I guess it will not serve any purpose to

> exchange mails like this.

> >

> > Shankar

> >

> >

> >

> > Sunil Bhattacharjya sunil_bhattacharjya @

> > Sun, November 29, 2009 8:31:49 AM

> > Re: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> >

> >

> > Dear Shankarji,

> >

> > You are ignoring that Bhishma too had the Pasupata and because of that

> even the mighty Parashurama, could not defeat him. That is also the

> reason why Lord Krishna asked Arjuna to get the Pasupata from Lord

> Shiva. Karna and Drona also had the Brahmastra. So don't you want to say

> that these three warriors from the Kaurava side also saved the world.

> Ashwatthama did have the Brahmastra but did not know how to control that

> and the Mahabharata tells us the consequences of that. Are you not aware

> of this?

> >

> > Karna could have killed Bhima but he had given promise to his mother

> Kunti that he would not kill Yudhiasthira, Bhima, Sahadeva and Nakula.

> Are you not aware of this?

> >

> > If you have read the Mahabharata Lord Krishna himself indicated that

> Karna was better than Arjuna. When Karna's arrow pushed away Arjuna's

> rath only slightly and Arjuna's arrow pushed away Karna's rath

> considerably then Arjuna was laughing at Karna's sterngth but Lord

> Krishna told him that Karna's arrow was more powerful than that of

> Arjuna. Arjuna's rath did not move much because of the weight of Hanuman

> and of Lord Krishna Himself. Hope all these instances will make you

> realise the greatness.

> >

> > Regards,

> >

> > Sunil K. Bhattacharjya

> >

> >

> > --- On Sat, 11/28/09, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli

> >

> >

> > >ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ >

> > >[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >Saturday, November 28, 2009, 6:43 AM

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >

> > >Dear Sunil ji,

> > >

> > >Instead of reading "could have" and "should have"s, if we take even a

> cursory view of the war

> > >

> > > - with Karna, Drona, Kripa etc all on one side, with three Rathis

> Bhimasena, Arjuna and Satyiki on agression, the Kaurava side lost 7 out

> of 11 Akshauhinis on a single day when Jayadratha was killed

> > > - with Karna as a helpless witness, Bhimasena had slain 25 brothers

> of Duryodhana on that single day with single hand, while repeatedly

> demolishing Karna with the other hand

> > > - Dusshasana was killed with Karna as the witness

> > >

> > >

> > >the Kaurava side was reasonably strong when Bhishma was there - after

> him, with his only absence, NONE of the warriors on Kaurava side could

> do ANYTHING about the loss.

> > >

> > >If Krishna "saved" Arjuna, Arjuna did save the

> > > whole world by his abstention of Pasupata and Brahmastra. So this is

> just a useless debate as of who is stronger - Arjuna alone during

> Gograhana, gave enough exhibition of what he is, and what the whole Kuru

> host is.

> > >

> > >Shankar

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > Sunil Bhattacharjya <sunil_bhattacharjy a @>

> > >Sat, November 28, 2009 6:55:02 PM

> > >Re: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >>

> > >

> > >Dear Shankarji,

> > >

> > >There is a saying that Baali was a Veer, Bali was a Veer so was

> Hanuman ( some say Hanuman was half as compared to Baali and Bali) but

> never a hero will be born equal to Karna. It is rightly so.

> > >

> > >In the Mahabharata war Lord Krishna lowered the Ratha to save Arjuna

> otherwise Karna's arrow would have severed Arjuna's head. Lord Krishna

> told that to Arjuna. Even Hanuman said superlatively about Karna. In the

> cattle capture episode Arjuna used a mohini arrow and all the kaurava

> heroes swooned and Arjuna recovered the Cattle. Even Bhishma was

> helpless. While Arjuna gets his credit for recovering the cattle there

> was no dicredeit to Karna.

> > > Karna was so very faithful to his friend that he refused to go to

> Pandava side and that was exemplary. Again when Indra asked Karna to

> give him the Kavacha Karna knew that it was Indra in disguise as

> > > his father Surya told him in advance but Karna did no hesitate to

> give his kavacha to Indra. There is no other such example in the Indian

> texts. Karna's heroics are endless. Do you think without Lord Krishna's

> help Arjuna would have won. If Lord Krishna would not have been on the

> Pandava side Karna would have won the war for Duryodhana. Karna promised

> to his mother that he would not killl the four pandavas other than

> Arjuna and that is why he did not fight with Bhima. While fighting with

> the gandharvas karna did not use the Brahmastra and that is why it

> appears to you that he lost. Against the mayavi Gandharvas a human being

> cannot fight a straight war and this should be kept in kind.

> > >

> > >Regards,

> > >

> > >Suni K. Bhattacharjya

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >--- On Sat, 11/28/09, ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli

> > >

> > >

> > >>ShankaraBharadwaj Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ >

> > >>Re: [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >>Saturday, November 28, 2009, 4:35 AM

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>>>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >> >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>>>

> > >>

> > >>Dear Bhaskar ji,

> > >>

> > >>You should, at the very least, completely read the references I

> references I gave:

> > >>

> > >> - The Kurus along with Karna running away from the field (post 2)

> > >>>> - Draupadi swayamvara where Arjuna and Karna fought each other

> (post 2)

> > >>>> - Ghosha yatra from vana parva, where Karna ran away not able to

> > >>withstand Gandharvas, Duryodhana refusing to run away and getting

> > >>arrested by them (post 2)

> > >>>> - Gograhana where Arjuna defeated the whole Kuru army, where

> Karna ran away (post 1)

> > >>>> - Multiple times when Karna fled, not able to withstand Bhimasena

> in the great war, on the day Jayadratha was killed (post 2)

> > >>

> > >>These are all there in the two posts I made, along with complete

> translation of relevant passages. So please stop putting the ball in my

> come back with third rate sources, come back either with verses from MBH

> > >>

> > >>And after that is done, understand that it remains your

> responsibility to know these things, and not my responsibility to

> "prove" - to bring to your notice things that you are not aware of, it

> by itself a thankless thing. When there is a text available, finding

> references should be your homework, at least after the exact instances

> and stories were given.

> > >>

> > >>Shankar

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > Bhaskar <bhaskar_jyotish@ .co. in>

> > >>Sat, November 28, 2009 5:08:24 PM

> > >>[ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >>

> > >> >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>>>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>>>Respected Sir,

> > >>

> > >>>>You just cannot leave the arguments and flee away . You just

> cannot

> > >>>>write anything derogatory and unbecoming about characters of

> Mhabharata

> > >>>>and just leave the podium without either substantiating your

> statements

> > >>>>or else taking your words back.

> > >>

> > >>>>Please prove all the instances where Karna ran away from the

> battle

> > >>>>field. I dont know of any. If you cannot prove any 3 then please

> take

> > >>>>your words back.

> > >>

> > >>>>regards/ Bhaskar.

> > >>

> > >>>>ancient_indian_ astrology,

> ShankaraBharadwaj

> > >>>>Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Really? Then, please pick up the text of Vyasa Maha Bharata, and

> then

> > >>>>try to compare the section, translation of each verse. Then come

> back

> > >>>>with the verses that are translated wrong, and if the original

> does not

> > >>>>contain the reference to Karna's running away, then come back and

> make

> > >>>>an assertion.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Here is where my patience with this thread ends, and I rest

> here.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Shankar

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> ____________ _________ _________ __

> > >>>>> Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> > >>>>> ancient_indian_ astrology

> > >>>>> Sat, November 28, 2009 3:36:06 PM

> > >>>>> [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Sir,

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> Guesses you are making. I have read the Mahabharata properly as

> a

> > >>>>child

> > >>>>> and youth. I am not here to teach people to emulate the

> character of

> > >>>>> Karna or sing songs in his glory or felicitate him as a Hero.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> But at same time not here to supress the true facts, or twist

> them or

> > >>>>> present something not right.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> regards/bhaskar.

> > >>>>>

> > >>>>> ancient_indian_ astrology,

> ShankaraBharadwaj

> > >>>>> Khandavalli <shankarabharadwaj@ ...> wrote:

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Dear Bhaskar ji,

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > To all the questions, the answer is straight: the image we

> bear of

> > >>>>> Karna, or of Arjuna, is not the image that Vyasa gives us. The

> image

> > >>>>we

> > >>>>> bear, is built up as a popular notion, not by traditional

> scholars but

> > >>>>> by those Purana-vairis who tried to show Puranic heroes in bad

> light

> > >>>>and

> > >>>>> tried to glorify the Pauranik villians. If we go to the

> original, we

> > >>>>get

> > >>>>> a totally, totally different picture of all these characters.

> The very

> > >>>>> reason why I am trying to argue here, is that.

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Let us go to the originals, let us get the facts straight.

> Then

> > >>>>there

> > >>>>> would be no need to argue on the basis of guesses.

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Shankar

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > ____________ _________ _________ __

> > >>>>> > Bhaskar bhaskar_jyotish@ ...

> > >>>>> > ancient_indian_ astrology

> > >>>>> > Sat, November 28, 2009 2:40:39 PM

> > >>>>> > [ancient_indian_ astrology] Re: Karna -The Astrologer

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Dear Friends,

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Shri Bharadwaj ji will provide us the authentic proof for his

> > >>>>> statements

> > >>>>> > which have been repeated several times during the day in last

> two

> > >>>>days

> > >>>>> > about Karna having fled and run away from war many times.

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > In the meanwhile lets ponder whether can he do this way ?

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > A great warrior like Karna could only be defeated by a greater

> > >>>>warrior

> > >>>>> > but could he develop fear as to run away ? He being a Pandava

> > >>>>brother

> > >>>>> > could he stoop low in the ethics of warfare ? He who was a

> great

> > >>>>Daani

> > >>>>> > did he fear anyone as to run away ? He as a Surya Putra and he

> as a

> > >>>>> > King of his kingdom gifted by Duryodhana could he run away

> from a

> > >>>>> battle

> > >>>>> > field ? And the best part is would Duryodhana a great King

> himself,

> > >>>>> > could he befreind a person so closely and treat him as his

> finest

> > >>>>> > friend, ally and brother, could he befriend a warrior who

> several

> > >>>>> times

> > >>>>> > run away from the battlefield ?

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > Sound preposterous and impossible and imaginary. What do you

> think ?

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>> > regards/.Bhaskar.

> > >>>>> >

> > >>>>>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Dear Shankar Bharadwaj ji,

This is not a proof at all, which is what I have been trying to tell You all the while. You have not been able to cite a single reference where Karna ran away in single combat. All the time you bring in references of the Kauravas being routed and Karna being a part of it, and highlight Karna as having run away. This is not right but twisting the facts and falsehood completely.

My comments in red.

Adi Parva, Section CXL"And careering over the field of battle like a fiery wheel, king Drupada with his arrows smote Duryodhana and Vikarna and even the mighty Karna and many other heroic princes and numberless warriors, and slaked their thirst for battle. Then all the citizens showered upon the Kurus various missiles like clouds showering rain-drops upon the earth. Young and old, they all rushed to battle, assailing the Kurus with vigour. The Kauravas, then, O Bharata, beholding the battle become frightful, broke and fled wailing towards the Pandavas."

Where is Karna running away here, my dear ? You are talking about a Duryodhana and his team, and if Karna was in the team that lost, how can we say that "Karna ran away" ???

Vana Parva, Section CCXXXIX"All the Gandharvas then, desirous of slaying Karna, rushed together by hundreds and thousands towards Karna. And those mighty warriors, desirous of slaying the Suta's son, surrounded him on all sides, with swords and battle-axes and spears. And some cut down the yoke of his car, and some his flagstaff, and some the shaft of his car, and some his horses, and some his charioteer. And some cut down his umbrella and some the wooden fender round his car and some the joints of his car. It was thus that many thousands of Gandharvas, together attacking his car, broke it into minute fragments. And while his car was thus attacked, Karna leaped therefrom with sword and shield in hand, and mounting on Vikarna's car, urged the steeds for saving himself."

Section CCXL Vaisampayana said, "After that great warrior Karna had been routed by the Gandharvas, the whole of the Kuru army, O monarch, fled from the field in the very sight of Dhritarashtra's son. And beholding all his troops flying from the field of battle with their back to the foe, king Duryodhana refused to fly.""

Dear again you are citing references which have no head or tail to confirm your claims. Read what is written above properly ? Hundreds and thousands of Gandharvas rushed towards Karna - gandharvas are also magicians and when hundreds and thousands of them will come together what do you expect Karna to do single handedly? Sit there and meditate ?

Virata Parva, Sections LIV-LVAnd like a lion attacked by an elephant, Arjuna, taking some keen crescent-shaped arrows from out of his quiver and drawing his bow to his ear, pierced the Suta's son on every part of his body. And that grinder of foes pierced Karna's arms and thighs and head and forehead

p. 94

and neck and other principal parts of his body with whetted shafts endued with the impetuosity of the thunderbolt and shot from the Gandiva in battle. And mangled and afflicted by the arrows shot by Partha the son of Pandu, Vikartana's son, quitted the van of battle, and quickly took to flight, like one elephant vanquished by another.'"

Section LV "Vaisampayana said, 'After the son of Radha had fled from the field, other warriors headed by Duryodhana, one after another, fell upon the son of Pandu with their respective divisions."

You are again bringing in combat of Arjuna and Karna which makes no sense, and have done very much hard work to show how much hurt Karna got from fighting. such hurt I can provide reference for almost all the warriors of the fight. it makes no sense to authenticate your claims that Karna ran away. Fled away means going away from the battle field,temporarily and not having run away. being routed by an enemy does not mean that the lost party has run away. Such simple English and you twist it.

Drona parva, section Section CXXXIII "Then Bhima pierced the Suta's son in return with three shafts endued with the impetuosity of Garuda and he pierced the latter's charioteer also with seven. Then, O king, Karna thus afflicted by Bhima's might, became exceedingly distressed. And that illustrious warrior then fled, forsaking the battle, borne away by his fleet steeds. The Atiratha Bhimasena, however, drawing his bow adorned with gold, stayed in battle, looking resplendent like a blazing fire.'""

Again a weightless reference to claim your false utterances. I have already provided a reference where it was shown that Karna spared Bhima his Life. At the most you are able to bring in rerences to show that Karna was hurt and wounded while fighting, which is of no avail because can be done similialrly for all other warriors fighting.

We both can provide several instances to each other of great characters of Mahabharata war having seen dust at one time or the other during the days of the war . How does this conclusively prove that only Karna ran away(Which he did not) and fled away several times, while the others did not ? I am sorry but there is no weight in your references at all. The above is just fooling yourself trying to cover up your utterances when you know theres nothing in the kitty to prove your derogatory utterances about a great warrior Karna.

regards/Bhaskar.