IndiaDivine.org

The Prison of Pride ... !!!

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Friends:

The Catastrophic Conceit 'I Am' :

All the egoism is born right when assuming impersonal and transientphenomena, such as body, feeling, perception, mental construction, & consciousness to be 'I-Me-Mine, thereby conceiving the idea: 'I am'!At once hereafter one falls desperately in love with this hypotheticalego, exalts and gratifies & even worships it, as the dearest possessionof all !!! Pride is born right here. By comparing this non-existent entity:'My Personal Identity' with external equally conceived perceptions, oneerroneously concludes: 'I Am! Better than ...'... Arrogance is born there!Or one concludes equally erroneously: 'I Am! Worse than or Equal to...'When there is pride, there is bound to be wounded pride! Because ofthat I-construing, ego-love & self-overestimation, one cannot respect what should be respected. Feeling threatened by any realistic evaluationof this adored 'ego', all potential 'critics' or 'competitors' are violentlyrepressed... By clinging to this cherished idea of 'Myself', harming, hate,ill-will, and violence thereby come into being. Even wars are initiated byimmature & infantile imagination of 'Own Greatness' or 'National Lead'!Thus more than fatal is verily this cramped conceit that 'I Am this & that'!

Serene joy is however connected with open, free & detached impersonality.If there is no 'I', no 'Me', what then to be proud of, & violently defend ? As the blessed Buddha said:

Blissful is the overcoming of all sense-desire. Blissful is dwelling in complete harmlessness.Blissful is solitude for one content & learned.But best is the bliss of uprooting the conceit 'I am'!

Udana – Inspiration: II – 1

Frequent reflection on the impermanent & transient flux of all internaland external phenomena, leads towards this counter-intuitive yet crucialcomprehension of the fact of 'No-Self'... Quite Freeing that indeed is...

Sabbe Dhamma Anatta ...All States are Selfless !!!

Friendship is the Greatest ! and the entire Noble Life...

Bhikkhu Samāhita, Sri Lanka.

http://groups.msn.com/DirectDhamma Buddha-Direct http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/TrueDhamma What_Buddha_Said Dhamma-Questions sent to my email are quite Welcome.