IndiaDivine.org

The Real Sacrifice

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Our town was small. But it was famous as a business centre.Once a house was ransacked by the robbers. The robbers took away huge amount of gold and money. The matter was reported to the police. But the robbers were not traced.Soon robbery became frequent. Almost every alternate day some house was broken. The owners were beaten severely by the robbers. Money, ornaments and other valuables were stolen.The residents of the town were worried.However all the residents of the town were indifferent. When any house was attacked by robbers, other householders would not bother. They argued, why should I rush to his help and invite harm to me from the robbers ready with weapons? Afterall, it is his headache. One, should protect himself. It is his duty.The

robbery used to be promptly reported to the police. The police did the guarding during night hours. However, this had no effect. And so the robbery continued unabated.One fine morning a sadhu wearing saffron robe appeared in the town. He was young. His smile was reassuring. He stayed in the town for some days. Soon the sadhu realised that people in the town are worried over the robbery.So the sadhu called a meeting of the residents under a peepal tree situated near the Hanuman temple.The sadhu said, "Brothers and Sisters, you are all living in an atmosphere of fear. Your lives are unsafe. You are all perplexed. However, I would like to help you."All the residents attending the meeting were attentively listening to the sadhu. They asked the sadhu, "But sir how will you help us? The team of robbers is fully armed. The robbers are cruel. They have killed number of people."Shantam papam,

uttered the sadhu moving the bead of his rosary.The sadhu said, "I will perform a religious sacrifice. I will propitiate the God. The God will rush to your help. After the sacrifice the disaster will disappear like a fog melting away after the sunrise.All the people present were impressed.But said the sadhu, "For performing the sacrifice I will require some money. I don't have a single farthing. So I request you to pay a contribution of Rs.20 per family. That will make enough amount to meet the expenses of the sacrifice."The amount the sadhu demanded was small—so almost all the residents of the town paid their contribution. They had full faith in the religion and the sadhu.The sadhu prepared a list of contributors. He showed the list to the audience. Then he said that he will rush to a pious spot in a jungle on the bank of the river. There we will perform the sacrifice strictly according to

the rules laid down in religious books. Then the robbers menace would vanish. The miracle will happen within a couple of days. Just see and believe it.So the sadhu left the town with the collected money. Days passed on. One week was over. Two weeks rolled on. Three weeks went away. This situation did not change a bit. On the contrary the situation worsened.The people were angry with the sadhu. Some called him scoundrel in a saffron robe.Surprisingly, the sadhu appeared again after nearly three, weeks. He met the people. He said, "The articles required for the sacrifice are too expensive. So I require some more money. If each family pays me Rs.30 more I will forthwith perform the sacrifice and rescue you from the

menace."The people were doubtful. Some were angry. After initial hesitation they paid the additional amount demanded by the sadhu. The sadhu entered the additional amount in the list he had prepared previously. Then sadhu vanished away.Again almost one month elapsed. The robbery went on unabated. Nor aid the sadhu reappear.All the people were angry. They felt that they were cheated by a wolf in a saffron clothing.After one month the sadhu once again appeared on the scene. He argued, the prices of ghee, sandal wood, etc. have shot up. I want Rs.50 per family more to meet the expenses. After all the sacrifice must be done strictly according to the shastras, the sadhu said.This time all the residents became furious. They could not hold their patience. They got in a mood to thrash the sadhu.Sadhu ran away fast. People had a wild chase. Everybody was equipped with same weapon or the

other.Finally the sadhu climbed on a tree. He went almost to the top of the tree to save himself from the fury of the angry people. However, people started pelting stones at him.Seeing the situation getting out of control the sadhu started addressing the huge crowd assembled their from the top of the tree itself. The sadhu said, "Oh my dear followers, see - my sacrifice is over. You have all been united in chasing me with whatever weapon you could easily acquire, for beating me. It is this unity that you should demonstrate in facing the robbers. Attack on any house should be considered as an attack on ones own self. I have brought back the entire amount collected from you along with the list of contributories. Allow me to come down. I will disburse the entire amount."The people did have introspection. They allowed the sadhu to come down and to pay back the money. They thanked the sadhu

profusely.Then onwards, there was close and complete unity amongst the residents of the town. And so, the robbery menace was arrested. bea part of it..................................... "kalam farke ohde te kuch likhan laga das ohda bholapan likha ya chaturai,doha rahan te aak mere hath ruk jande das ohda pyar likha ya judai likha,hasse lut k oh dilan de hal puchdi das ohdi majboori likha bewafai likha"

Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Small Business.