IndiaDivine.org

Upapada - ple-e-e-e Joytisha frm 12th

Rate this topic

Guest guest

OHM SHRI RAGAVENDRAYA NAMAH

JAYA JAGANNATHA

Namaste Mr.Sarat,

Thanks for the wonderful explanation on meaning and Importance of Upapada. I want to add that when I read lesson 1, I didn't understand why Jyotisha has to be seen from 12th house. Now, your explantion on 12th house and Upapada clears the doubt.

If only we have the linage from the past and the blessings of the elders and Maharishis, there is a chance for becoming the Jyotisha.

Thanks

Your sisya

Solai Kannan

The 12th house indicates our past (the family from which we have descended - our forefathers etc.,) and the 2nd, our future (our own family). When we talk of our past, we mean our genetics - the family geneology. When the family geneology is worked backwards i.e., when you begin tracing our forefathers you will find that all of us belong to a particular Gotra which would have begun from a Maharishi - eg., Kashyapa gotra from Kashyapa Maharishi, Atri or Rathattreya gotra from Atri Maharishi and so on. No other house other than the 12th indicates this family geneology. From this has come the Lagna and from the Lagna comes the 2nd or our own family. Therefore, we consider only the 12th house for Upapada matters. Thus, Upapada is important.

Upapada is the maya of marriage. In our traditional marriage, the mandapa (the stage/podium) is set up and a sthamba (pillar - representing the Dharma - also representing the deity blessing the dharma of marriage and its fruits, which is good, comfortable life and good children to carry on the family geneology and the tradition and culture) is set up. All the relatives - near and dear ones - gather to bless the wedding. Thus, the first marriage is seen from the 1st UL and the second from the 2nd UL and so on. In fact, according to shastras if a man and woman would be associated with each other for a year at the least even at the mana level (without formal marriage) it is considered a marriage and will be taken as the 1st UL. Jupiter's aspect on the 2nd from UL indicates the ideal year of solmenizing the marriage, because Jupiter (physically) represents the Brahmana who performs the marriage and his aspect on the 2nd from UL indicates the arrival of the brahmana to perform the wedding. Thus the periods of Nayarayana Dasa/Antardasa rasis aspecting the rasi dispositing UL will indicate marriage.

What is gained from marriage and what is seen from the Upapada?

The 7th house is the eleventh from 9th house - gains of Dharma is marriage. 5th house is eleventh to the 7th and children are the gains of marriage. The 12th house is fourth from the 9th - the sukhasthana of Dharma. Thus, the main thing associated with marriage is Dharma. We know that Dharma comes from father and Peace comes from mother - "Sarva Dharma Pitrupade, Sarva Sukha Matrupade". The coming together of these two - father and mother gives rise to the Lagna. You have studied that sustenance of the Upapada is seen from its 2nd house and the planets conjoining it. While all planets in the 2nd give one reason or the other to damage the marriage (the Upapada) only Surya (who is the true representative of Dharma) protects the marriage while Rahu and Saturn, who are opposed to Surya, are first rate malefics to Upapada and will inflict considerable damage on the Upapada. Thus, as understood from the teachings of Sri Krishna in the Bhagavat Gita, any corruption of dharma will lead to corruption of women and the corruption of women will lead to begetting undesired children.

Why do we consider Upapada and not the Arudha of the 7th house for marriage purposes?

Upapada is also called Gaunapada - anuchara - or that which follows. The family geneology follows one after the other. The blessings of all elders (including those of the Maharishi associated/indicated) are obtained from the Upapada and not from A7. As we know, the 7th house is for partnerships/relationships/interactions etc. Therefore, the Arudha of the 7th can only indicate the contacts that one will have. For such a contact to become the spouse, there should be a sambandha between the Lagnapada and A7. The type of sambandha will indicate where the contact will come from - ie., whether from office, neighbourhood or elsewhere as the signification would suggest. A7 will indicate other contacts also.

Thus, in the overall perspective of dharma which is imbibed from the forefathers and passed on to the next generation as explained above, Upapada is more important to a horoscope ( to an individual) than the A7 which is merely a maya of his association with others. I hope I have cleared this to an extent and Sanjay ji may correct me if I am short of explaining certain other points or if they are wrong.

Hare Rama Krishna !!

Warm regards,

Sarat.

-

Yasomatinandana das

varahamihira

Tuesday, September 19, 2000 6:46 AM

[sri Guru] Upapada - ple-e-e-e-e-ase reply

Dear Gurudev,

Please accept my respectful obeisances. Jaya Jagannath!

There are some questions I've been wondering about ever since I read the UPSJ first. They are about the Upapada. I would be very much obliged to you if you could explain them as this is a very important area in human life.

Why it is the 12th house which Aruddha idicates marriage. Why 12th and not some other house? And if Aruddhas generally indiate illusions, externals and nonessencials concerned with the particular house then why the UP is so important? Why not just deal with the 7th house?

your shishya,

Yasomatinandana das

OM TAT SATArchive: varahamihiraInfo: varahamihira/info.htmlOM TAT SATArchive: varahamihiraInfo: varahamihira/info.html