IndiaDivine.org

When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sri,

The west coast of the US (Seattle, San Francisco etc) should

observe it on Saturday.

This particular year, it is quite tricky for

this area. After consulting a number of works,

and discussing this with a few people, I believe

Saturday is the better choice, particularly if

you are planning to do an all night Jagran.

ajit

sohamsa [sohamsa ] On Behalf Of vadhris.rm

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

5:16 PM

sohamsa

When is

MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

I am getting conflicting

timings for Maha Shiva rathri. Is it 02/25 -

Saturday or 02/26 - Sunday ? Do we need to do Jagran

on Sturday night

or Sunday night? I live in California.

thanks

Sri

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear All,

The fourteenth lunar day (Chaturdashi) in San Francisco goes from sunrise of Sunday the 26th until the next sunrise. Thus it would appear to be Sunday. Chaturdashi starts at 1:00 am on the 26th (San Francisco). Thus, it is the tithi running at sunrise of the 26th. I am using the Panchang in the Shri Jyoti Star software.

Hope this helps.

Lakshman Fontaine

-

Ajit Krishnan

sohamsa

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:53 PM

RE: When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

Dear Sri,

The west coast of the US (Seattle, San Francisco etc) should observe it on Saturday.

This particular year, it is quite tricky for this area. After consulting a number of works,

and discussing this with a few people, I believe Saturday is the better choice, particularly if

ajit

sohamsa [sohamsa ] On Behalf Of vadhris.rmWednesday, February 22, 2006 5:16 PMsohamsa Subject: When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

I am getting conflicting timings for Maha Shiva rathri. Is it 02/25 - Saturday or 02/26 - Sunday ? Do we need to do Jagran on Sturday night or Sunday night? I live in California.thanksSri

So Saturday night through Sunda morning should be fine, right ?

sohamsa , " John Fontaine "

<john108fontaine wrote:

>

> Hare Rama Krishna

>

> Dear All,

>

> The fourteenth lunar day (Chaturdashi) in San Francisco goes from

sunrise of Sunday the 26th until the next sunrise. Thus it would

appear to be Sunday. Chaturdashi starts at 1:00 am on the 26th (San

Francisco). Thus, it is the tithi running at sunrise of the 26th.

I am using the Panchang in the Shri Jyoti Star software.

>

> Hope this helps.

> Lakshman Fontaine

>

>

> -

> Ajit Krishnan

> sohamsa

> Wednesday, February 22, 2006 7:53 PM

> RE: When is MahaShiva rathri (In

California...)?

>

>

> Dear Sri,

>

>

>

> The west coast of the US (Seattle, San Francisco etc) should

observe it on Saturday.

>

>

>

> This particular year, it is quite tricky for this area. After

consulting a number of works,

>

> and discussing this with a few people, I believe Saturday is the

better choice, particularly if

>

> you are planning to do an all night Jagran.

>

>

>

> ajit

-

-----------

>

> sohamsa [sohamsa ]

On Behalf Of vadhris.rm

> Wednesday, February 22, 2006 5:16 PM

> sohamsa

> When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

>

>

>

> I am getting conflicting timings for Maha Shiva rathri. Is it

02/25 -

> Saturday or 02/26 - Sunday ? Do we need to do Jagran on Sturday

night

> or Sunday night? I live in California.

>

> thanks

> Sri

*tat savitur varenyam*

>

>

>

>

>

>

Dear Lakshman,

Chaturdashi in San Francisco starts just prior to midnight on Saturday. You probably need to correct for the 1 hour savings time difference. Chaturdashi prevails during Ardharatri-kala on Saturday, and does not prevail at all during this kala on Sunday. Hence, Saturday is the better choice.

The occurence of Chaturdashi at sunrise is not important. You need to consider its occurence during ardha-ratri (primarily) and pradosha-kala (secondarily) to determine the date of observance.

ajit

On 2/24/06, John Fontaine <john108fontaine wrote:

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear All,

The fourteenth lunar day (Chaturdashi) in San Francisco goes from sunrise of Sunday the 26th until the next sunrise. Thus it would appear to be Sunday. Chaturdashi starts at 1:00 am on the 26th (San Francisco). Thus, it is the tithi running at sunrise of the 26th. I am using the Panchang in the Shri Jyoti Star software.

Hope this helps.

Lakshman Fontaine

-

Ajit Krishnan

sohamsa

Dear Sri,

The west coast of the US (Seattle, San Francisco etc) should observe it on Saturday.

This particular year, it is quite tricky for this area. After consulting a number of works,

and discussing this with a few people, I believe Saturday is the better choice, particularly if

ajit

sohamsa [sohamsa ] On Behalf Of vadhris.rmWednesday, February 22, 2006 5:16 PM

sohamsa Subject: When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

I am getting conflicting timings for Maha Shiva rathri. Is it 02/25 -

Saturday or 02/26 - Sunday ? Do we need to do Jagran on Sturday night or Sunday night? I live in California.

thanksSri*tat savitur varenyam*

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Ajit,

Thank you for your clarification. Can you (or anyone else) please give me the definitions (or give a reference) of Ardharatri-kala and Pradosha-kala? If I have been incorrect, it would be very helpful to learn the proper procedure as I often tell people when certain festivals are occurring for my time zone and others.

What I have learned is that the lunar day starts at sunrise and runs until the next sunrise. And the lunar day is the tithi that is running at sunrise even it changes just after sunrise. Is this 'pradosha-kala'?.

Thank you for your help.

Lakshman

-

Ajit Krishnan

sohamsa

Friday, February 24, 2006 1:10 PM

Re: When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

Dear Lakshman,

Chaturdashi in San Francisco starts just prior to midnight on Saturday. You probably need to correct for the 1 hour savings time difference. Chaturdashi prevails during Ardharatri-kala on Saturday, and does not prevail at all during this kala on Sunday. Hence, Saturday is the better choice.

The occurence of Chaturdashi at sunrise is not important. You need to consider its occurence during ardha-ratri (primarily) and pradosha-kala (secondarily) to determine the date of observance.

ajit

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear All,

Hope this helps.

Lakshman Fontaine

-

Ajit Krishnan

sohamsa

Dear Sri,

ajit

sohamsa [sohamsa ] On Behalf Of vadhris.rmWednesday, February 22, 2006 5:16 PMsohamsa Subject: When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

I am getting conflicting timings for Maha Shiva rathri. Is it 02/25 - Saturday or 02/26 - Sunday ? Do we need to do Jagran on Sturday night or Sunday night? I live in California. thanksSri*tat savitur varenyam*

Dear Lakshman,

> If I have been incorrect, it would be very helpful to learn the proper procedure as

> I often tell people when certain festivals are occurring for my time zone and others.

You need to refer to varying opinions in books like Kala-Kanda, Dharma-Sindhu, Parva-Nirnaya etc. You also need to have an understanding of the festival in question, and the rituals that traditionally go along with it, in order to understand the intent of the rules, and how the varying opinions fit together. Each festival has its own set of rules.

Pradosha kala is the first muhurta that starts at sunset.

ajit

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear Ajit,

Thank you for your clarification. Can you (or anyone else) please give me the definitions (or give a reference) of Ardharatri-kala and Pradosha-kala? If I have been incorrect, it would be very helpful to learn the proper procedure as I often tell people when certain festivals are occurring for my time zone and others.

What I have learned is that the lunar day starts at sunrise and runs until the next sunrise. And the lunar day is the tithi that is running at sunrise even it changes just after sunrise. Is this 'pradosha-kala'?.

Thank you for your help.

Lakshman

-

Ajit Krishnan

sohamsa

Friday, February 24, 2006 1:10 PM

Re: When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

Dear Lakshman,

ajit

On 2/24/06, John Fontaine <john108fontaine

> wrote:

Hare Rama Krishna

Dear All,

Hope this helps.

Lakshman Fontaine

-

Ajit Krishnan

sohamsa

Dear Sri,

ajit

sohamsa [sohamsa ] On Behalf Of vadhris.rmWednesday, February 22, 2006 5:16 PM

sohamsa Subject: When is MahaShiva rathri (In California...)?

I am getting conflicting timings for Maha Shiva rathri. Is it 02/25 -

Saturday or 02/26 - Sunday ? Do we need to do Jagran on Sturday night or Sunday night? I live in California.

thanksSri*tat savitur varenyam*