Guest guest

Guest guest

- Rosemary Innes-Jones

Shailesh

Monday, May 01, 2006 11:40 AM

Re: FW: Value of Tolerance

Om Brihaspataaye Namah

Namaste Shaileesh,

Thankyou, for this sanskrit and transliteration.

SAHEESHNUTA- now I have to tolerantly look up my sanskrit dictionary, which will be fun as i havent opened the cover for a year...............( ha ha .hence the tolerance needed!!)

tolerance has got to have a similar dhatu or root to humour dont you think? If we can laugh with ourselves as we play in this world, yet still act with confidence- from 'con' and 'phaedo latin meaning "with god" our mis-takes are all God

too!!

or as some may say it in English- God= good

..............the ultimate Good!

thankyou for the prompt,

Best Wishes

Rosemaryx

-

Shailesh

rf.innes-jones

Friday, April 28, 2006 2:11 PM

Om Gurave Namah

Namaste,

The Sanskrit word for TOLERANCE is SAHEESHNUTA.

SA as in 'supper'

HEE as in 'heat'

SH as in 'ISHTA'

NU as in 'GUNA'

TA as in 'TAMASIK'

Sorry, but I cannot do better than that or give the 'dhatu' for this word.

Regards,

Shailesh

----

sohamsa

04/28/06 07:19:53

sohamsa

Om Brihaspataaye Namah

Greetings Sanjay,

Tolerance- thankyou for Raths Rhapsody on this dance of the Atma's. You have us thinking in joy as we calmly reflect on what is being said. Thankyou

Can we have a sanskrit dhatu or reference?

May I add, forgiveness- is giving something finer. It is not for-geting or getting something else instead of.........it is to give, and to give deeper. bigger and finer.

Reading the Sohamsa lists lively discussions recently has done just this for me, and I wonder , at what grace that has brought me to Jagannath's feet to learn from your great gurus.

How much do these gurus pass on your Gurus shakti, that has been imbibed in such humility.......?

Totally!

Recent threads have been delightful and enlightening, and although I have not contributed, I have participated fully in my listening, hearing your voice throughout, and watching the beauty of this great science reveal itself in its myriad splendours.

Pranams and blessings to all,

from a grateful listener,

Rosemary Innes-Jonesxxx

-

Sanjay Rath

sohamsa

Friday, April 28, 2006 5:19 AM

FW: Value of Tolerance

Published at http://srath.com/blog/ ..enjoy and do think!

Value of Tolerance

- the higher the tolerance in a human being, the higher the degree and likelihood of success in life.

Introduction

As a natural state of mind, tolerance indicates an ability to coexist with others, to respect alternative points of view, to neither dominate nor be dominated. It suggests both the ability to be yourself as well as allow others that freedom. It is both sturdy individuality and acceptance of other points of view [Life Positive[1]]. Suma Varughese writes that “Differences create gaps, but we need to reap love, not hatred, out of diversity. And to do so, we need to relearn the long forgotten value of tolerance”. She goes on to explain the negative implication of the word as conceived by the human mind in the words of filmmaker Anand Patwardhan, "It's a bit of a negative concept. It means living with something but not being obliged to like it. That's not good enough. Hindus must do more than tolerate Muslims and Christians. I prefer to use love and compassion instead."

The point they are missing out is that the human psyche is built on the foundation of home teaching, family learning of values and schooling and finally colored in college. Schools in India are primarily ‘non-secular’ and have affiliation to one faith or another, and they also preach their faith is a very subtle manner by way of morning prayers, food habits, cultural events and participation, church events, honor rolls and in almost every manner, the particular flavor of the school faith gets pushed into the psyche of the student. This creates a problem in that this may in some manner clash with the teachings and habits developed at home and what every ‘schooled and civilized’ human being ends up with is a fractured psyche.

Fortunately, most colleges are largely secular in India, America and most of the world [that I have seen]. But then at this stage it does not matter as the damage has already been done and what happens now is that the damaged psyche tries to adjust with the changed ‘more-secular’ scenario of college. This is where the first lessons in tolerance are learnt, often through the hard way.

The Jyotish of ‘Tolerance’

Tolerance is the nature attributed to the planet Jupiter and the natural sign is Pisces. The tolerance in a person is measured by the strength and influence of Jupiter in his horoscope. The influence of Jupiter on the lagna and lagna lord (also called Paka Lagna) plays a very significant role.

Tolerance is tested when natural malefic planets like Rähu, Sun, Mars or Saturn aspect Jupiter, the lagna or the lagna lord at times of feeling cheated, hurt ego, anger and sorrow respectively. All these influences should be carefully examined as the psyche is a very delicate and personal aspect of every individual and the particular psyche is altered by these malefic aspects on the three factors stated above – Lagna, Paka Lagna (Lagna lord) and dhi (intelligence) significator Jupiter.

The world is made up of checks and balances. While these malefic planets affect the intelligence negatively, they are countered by four other planets – Ketu, Venus, Moon and Mercury respectively.

1. When Rähu causes shocks and sudden reversals and terrible injury to the psyche to the extent of thinking of suicide and self destruction or global destruction, Ketu counters this with religious philosophy and renunciation of the world instead of destruction. This nodal axis is a delicate balance in any chart.

2. The hurt ego caused by the Sun that results in distancing from family or friends or near and dear ones is soothed by Venus and true love, when it comes into your life, will cause these ego problems to evaporate and you start to renew bonds with family and friends.

3. The physical horror of Mars caused through accidents, death, battles and war leading to anger and hatred is dissolved by the compassion of the Moon when one learns to forgive and forget. The Moon causes one to realize that enmity is as fleeting as the day and that there are no enemies, there are only ‘mirrors’. What or who you see as an enemy is, in reality, only an alter ego of yours.

4. And Saturn, the greatest sorrow, the repository of all that is shameful, degraded, dirty, poor and heinous – rules the hearts of dirty old men who hold ‘malice towards one and all’. Little children have no place for this sorrow as their hearts have not hardened to the cries of the world and they laugh at the smallest of joys life has to offer.

Think of these pairs as symbolizing opposite aspects of life and death choises we make everyday, every moment.

…that was todays thought or simply rambling rhapsody of Rath! Will continue this tomorrow.

[1] http://www.lifepositive.com/Mind/ethics-and-values/tolerance/tolerance.html

avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006Tested on: 4/27/2006 10:32:41 PMavast! - copyright © 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.

avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0617-2, 04/26/2006Tested on: 4/27/2006 10:49:19 PMavast! - copyright © 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.

Guest guest

Om Brihaspataye Namah

Dear Shailesh,

Thankyou. I did ask a young friend of mine studying Sanskrit at Oxford University in England and she came back with this:

Gabriella said :

" i spoke to my tutor about the word Saheesnuta, and we discovered it's formed from the verb root 'sah' which means 'to bear, carry, put up with' and the 'ta' ending is agentive and feminie, so it means 'she who bears, carries', therefore, "tolerant", "patient"."

I am also investigating through some other worthy Sanskrit scholars here in New Zealand. Is it interesting that it is feminine ?

Best Wishes

Rosemary

-

Shailesh

rf.innes-jones

Cc: srath

Friday, May 05, 2006 3:18 AM

Re: To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance

|| Om Gurave Namah ||

Namaste Rosemary,

First - my apology for the delay in responding; no other reason than the mundane duties :)

Second apology (too many of them :-)) - the correct word for TOLERANCE is SAHISHNUTA.

SA as in 'supper'

HI as in 'hit'

SH as in 'ISHTA'

NU as in 'GUNA'

TA as in 'TAMASIK'

And, from what all I could find out so far - the DHAATU should be same as 'ISHTA' meaning not just God, but what ever is LIKED, DEAR, even ACCEPTABLE.

Unfortunately, my dictionary seems to have been misplaced during last house-shifting :-( - am still trying to locate it.

Regards,

Shailesh

----

sohamsa

05/03/06 20:01:31

sohamsa

To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance

- Rosemary Innes-Jones

Shailesh

Om Brihaspataaye Namah

Namaste Shaileesh,

SAHEESHNUTA- now I have to tolerantly look up my sanskrit dictionary, which will be fun as i havent opened the cover for a year...............( ha ha .hence the tolerance needed!!)

tolerance has got to have a similar dhatu or root to humour dont you think? If we can laugh with ourselves as we play in this world, yet still act with confidence- from 'con' and 'phaedo latin meaning "with god" our mis-takes are all God

too!!

.the ultimate Good!

thankyou for the prompt,

Best Wishes

Rosemaryx

-

Shailesh

rf.innes-jones

Om Gurave Namah

Namaste,

SA as in 'supper'

HEE as in 'heat'

SH as in 'ISHTA'

NU as in 'GUNA'

TA as in 'TAMASIK'

Regards,

Shailesh

----

sohamsa

sohamsa

Om Brihaspataaye Namah

Greetings Sanjay,

Tolerance- thankyou for Raths Rhapsody on this dance of the Atma's. You have us thinking in joy as we calmly reflect on what is being said. Thankyou

May I add, forgiveness- is giving something finer. It is not for-geting or getting something else instead of.........it is to give, and to give deeper. bigger and finer.

Reading the Sohamsa lists lively discussions recently has done just this for me, and I wonder , at what grace that has brought me to Jagannath's feet to learn from your great gurus.

How much do these gurus pass on your Gurus shakti, that has been imbibed in such humility.......?

Totally!

Recent threads have been delightful and enlightening, and although I have not contributed, I have participated fully in my listening, hearing your voice throughout, and watching the beauty of this great science reveal itself in its myriad splendours.

Rosemary Innes-Jonesxxx

Guest guest

Shri Brahmadaru Smarami

Dear Rosemary,

The word is commonly used in vernacular languages in India. A tolerant person is considered as sahishnu. Tolerance is sahishnuta. It is used in my mother tongue and I am sure in many other vernacular languages of India, as is most of the Sanskrit words; the least in commonly spoken Hindi.

Best Regards,

Sarbani

sohamsa [sohamsa ] On Behalf Of Rosemary Innes-JonesFriday, May 05, 2006 1:23 AMShaileshCc: sohamsa ; Gabriella Edwina; GWBrennanSubject: Re: To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance

Om Brihaspataye Namah

Dear Shailesh,

Thankyou. I did ask a young friend of mine studying Sanskrit at Oxford University in England and she came back with this:

Gabriella said :

" i spoke to my tutor about the word Saheesnuta, and we discovered it's formed from the verb root 'sah' which means 'to bear, carry, put up with' and the 'ta' ending is agentive and feminie, so it means 'she who bears, carries', therefore, "tolerant", "patient"."

I am also investigating through some other worthy Sanskrit scholars here in New Zealand. Is it interesting that it is feminine ?

Best Wishes

Rosemary

-

Shailesh

rf.innes-jones

Cc: srath

Friday, May 05, 2006 3:18 AM

Re: To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance

|| Om Gurave Namah ||

Namaste Rosemary,

First - my apology for the delay in responding; no other reason than the mundane duties :)

Second apology (too many of them :-)) - the correct word for TOLERANCE is SAHISHNUTA.

SA as in 'supper'

HI as in 'hit'

SH as in 'ISHTA'

NU as in 'GUNA'

TA as in 'TAMASIK'

And, from what all I could find out so far - the DHAATU should be same as 'ISHTA' meaning not just God, but what ever is LIKED, DEAR, even ACCEPTABLE.

Unfortunately, my dictionary seems to have been misplaced during last house-shifting :-( - am still trying to locate it.

Regards,

Shailesh

----

sohamsa

05/03/06 20:01:31

sohamsa

To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance

- Rosemary Innes-Jones

Shailesh

Om Brihaspataaye Namah

Namaste Shaileesh,

too!!

.the ultimate Good!

thankyou for the prompt,

Best Wishes

Rosemaryx

-

Shailesh

rf.innes-jones

Om Gurave Namah

Namaste,

SA as in 'supper'

HEE as in 'heat'

SH as in 'ISHTA'

NU as in 'GUNA'

TA as in 'TAMASIK'

Regards,

Shailesh

----

sohamsa

sohamsa

Om Brihaspataaye Namah

Greetings Sanjay,

Totally!

Rosemary Innes-Jonesxxx

Guest guest

Om Gurave Namah

Namaste Rosemary,

Sahana (tolerance), kshama (forgiving nature) are qualities usually

associated with " Dharitri " or Mother Earth, hence the feminine

touch, I guess.

Regards,

Lakshmi

sohamsa , " Rosemary Innes-Jones " <rf.innes-

jones wrote:

>

> Om Brihaspataye Namah

>

> Dear Shailesh,

> Thankyou. I did ask a young friend of mine studying Sanskrit at

Oxford University in England and she came back with this:

>

> Gabriella said :

> " i spoke to my tutor about the word Saheesnuta, and we discovered

it's

> formed from the verb root 'sah' which means 'to bear, carry, put

up with'

> and the 'ta' ending is agentive and feminie, so it means 'she who

bears,

> carries', therefore, " tolerant " , " patient " . "

>

> I am also investigating through some other worthy Sanskrit

scholars here in New Zealand. Is it interesting that it is feminine ?

>

> Best Wishes

> Rosemary

>

> -

> Shailesh

> rf.innes-jones

> Cc: srath

> Friday, May 05, 2006 3:18 AM

> Re: To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance

>

>

> || Om Gurave Namah ||

>

> Namaste Rosemary,

>

> First - my apology for the delay in responding; no other

reason than the mundane duties :)

>

> Second apology (too many of them :-)) - the correct word

for TOLERANCE is SAHISHNUTA.

>

> SA as in 'supper'

> HI as in 'hit'

> SH as in 'ISHTA'

> NU as in 'GUNA'

> TA as in 'TAMASIK'

>

> And, from what all I could find out so far - the DHAATU

should be same as 'ISHTA' meaning not just God, but what ever is

LIKED, DEAR, even ACCEPTABLE.

>

> Unfortunately, my dictionary seems to have been misplaced

during last house-shifting :-( - am still trying to locate it.

>

> Regards,

>

> Shailesh

>

>

> ----

>

> sohamsa

> 05/03/06 20:01:31

> sohamsa

> To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance

>

>

> -

> Rosemary Innes-Jones

> Shailesh

> Monday, May 01, 2006 11:40 AM

> Re: FW: Value of Tolerance

>

>

> Om Brihaspataaye Namah

> Namaste Shaileesh,

>

> Thankyou, for this sanskrit and transliteration.

>

> SAHEESHNUTA- now I have to tolerantly look up my sanskrit

dictionary, which will be fun as i havent opened the cover for a

year...............( ha ha .hence the tolerance needed!!)

>

> tolerance has got to have a similar dhatu or root to

humour dont you think? If we can laugh with ourselves as we play in

this world, yet still act with confidence- from 'con' and 'phaedo

latin meaning " with god " our mis-takes are all God

> too!!

>

> or as some may say it in English- God= good

> .the ultimate Good!

>

> thankyou for the prompt,

> Best Wishes

> Rosemaryx

> -

> Shailesh

> rf.innes-jones

> Friday, April 28, 2006 2:11 PM

>

>

> Om Gurave Namah

>

> Namaste,

>

> The Sanskrit word for TOLERANCE is SAHEESHNUTA.

>

> SA as in 'supper'

> HEE as in 'heat'

> SH as in 'ISHTA'

> NU as in 'GUNA'

> TA as in 'TAMASIK'

>

> Sorry, but I cannot do better than that or give

the 'dhatu' for this word.

>

> Regards,

>

> Shailesh

>

> ----

>

> sohamsa

> 04/28/06 07:19:53

> sohamsa

>

> Om Brihaspataaye Namah

>

> Greetings Sanjay,

> Tolerance- thankyou for Raths Rhapsody on this dance

of the Atma's. You have us thinking in joy as we calmly reflect on

what is being said. Thankyou

>

> Can we have a sanskrit dhatu or reference?

>

> May I add, forgiveness- is giving something finer.

It is not for-geting or getting something else instead of.........it

is to give, and to give deeper. bigger and finer.

> Reading the Sohamsa lists lively discussions

recently has done just this for me, and I wonder , at what grace

that has brought me to Jagannath's feet to learn from your great

gurus.

> How much do these gurus pass on your Gurus shakti,

that has been imbibed in such humility.......?

> Totally!

> Recent threads have been delightful and

enlightening, and although I have not contributed, I have

participated fully in my listening, hearing your voice throughout,

and watching the beauty of this great science reveal itself in its

myriad splendours.

>

> Pranams and blessings to all,

> from a grateful listener,

>

> Rosemary Innes-Jonesxxx

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

*tat savitur varenyam*

>

Guest guest

|| Hare Rama Krishna ||

Dear Rosemary,

Namaskar. Sahishnu means one who is tolarant/accepting kind. The quality referred is sahishnuta and it has nothing to do being feminine. Sahishnuta is a quality. Just like daridrata means the quality of being poor or poverty in short. The '-ta' at the end of such words means something like '-ness' in english. bold-ness, bashful-ness etc.

Best wishes,

Sourav

===============================================================

sohamsa , "Rosemary Innes-Jones" <rf.innes-jones wrote:>> Om Brihaspataye Namah> > Dear Shailesh,> Thankyou. I did ask a young friend of mine studying Sanskrit at Oxford University in England and she came back with this: > > Gabriella said :> " i spoke to my tutor about the word Saheesnuta, and we discovered it's > formed from the verb root 'sah' which means 'to bear, carry, put up with' > and the 'ta' ending is agentive and feminie, so it means 'she who bears, > carries', therefore, "tolerant", "patient"."> > I am also investigating through some other worthy Sanskrit scholars here in New Zealand. Is it interesting that it is feminine ?> > Best Wishes> Rosemary> > - > Shailesh > rf.innes-jones > Cc: srath > Friday, May 05, 2006 3:18 AM> Re: To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance> > > || Om Gurave Namah ||> > Namaste Rosemary,> > First - my apology for the delay in responding; no other reason than the mundane duties :)> > Second apology (too many of them :-)) - the correct word for TOLERANCE is SAHISHNUTA.> > SA as in 'supper'> HI as in 'hit'> SH as in 'ISHTA'> NU as in 'GUNA'> TA as in 'TAMASIK'> > And, from what all I could find out so far - the DHAATU should be same as 'ISHTA' meaning not just God, but what ever is LIKED, DEAR, even ACCEPTABLE.> > Unfortunately, my dictionary seems to have been misplaced during last house-shifting :-( - am still trying to locate it.> > Regards,> > Shailesh> > > ----> > sohamsa > 05/03/06 20:01:31> sohamsa > To Shailesh -Saheeshnuta- Tolerance> > > - > Rosemary Innes-Jones > Shailesh > Monday, May 01, 2006 11:40 AM> Re: FW: Value of Tolerance> > > Om Brihaspataaye Namah> Namaste Shaileesh,> > Thankyou, for this sanskrit and transliteration. > > SAHEESHNUTA- now I have to tolerantly look up my sanskrit dictionary, which will be fun as i havent opened the cover for a year...............( ha ha .hence the tolerance needed!!)> > tolerance has got to have a similar dhatu or root to humour dont you think? If we can laugh with ourselves as we play in this world, yet still act with confidence- from 'con' and 'phaedo latin meaning "with god" our mis-takes are all God > too!!> > or as some may say it in English- God= good> .the ultimate Good!> > thankyou for the prompt,> Best Wishes> Rosemaryx> - > Shailesh > rf.innes-jones > Friday, April 28, 2006 2:11 PM> Re: FW: Value of Tolerance> > > Om Gurave Namah> > Namaste,> > The Sanskrit word for TOLERANCE is SAHEESHNUTA.> > SA as in 'supper'> HEE as in 'heat'> SH as in 'ISHTA'> NU as in 'GUNA'> TA as in 'TAMASIK'> > Sorry, but I cannot do better than that or give the 'dhatu' for this word.> > Regards,> > Shailesh> > ----> > sohamsa > 04/28/06 07:19:53> sohamsa > Re: FW: Value of Tolerance> > Om Brihaspataaye Namah> > Greetings Sanjay,> Tolerance- thankyou for Raths Rhapsody on this dance of the Atma's. You have us thinking in joy as we calmly reflect on what is being said. Thankyou> > Can we have a sanskrit dhatu or reference?> > May I add, forgiveness- is giving something finer. It is not for-geting or getting something else instead of.........it is to give, and to give deeper. bigger and finer.> Reading the Sohamsa lists lively discussions recently has done just this for me, and I wonder , at what grace that has brought me to Jagannath's feet to learn from your great gurus.> How much do these gurus pass on your Gurus shakti, that has been imbibed in such humility.......?> Totally!> Recent threads have been delightful and enlightening, and although I have not contributed, I have participated fully in my listening, hearing your voice throughout, and watching the beauty of this great science reveal itself in its myriad splendours.> > Pranams and blessings to all, > from a grateful listener,> > Rosemary Innes-Jonesxxx> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > *tat savitur varenyam*>