> TOMMY HILFIGER'S RACIST COMMENT

>

> I'm sure many of you watched the recent taping of the Oprah Winfrey show

> where her guest was Tommy Hilfiger. On the show, she asked him if the

> statements about race he was accused of saying were true. Statements

> like:

>

> " ...if I'd known African-Americans, Hispanics, jewish and

> Asians would buy my clothes, I would not have made them so nice.

> I wish these people would *NOT* buy my clothes, as they are made for

> upper

> class white people. "

>

> His answer to Oprah was a simple " YES " , whereupon she asked him to

> leave her show.

>

> My suggestion? Let's give him what he's asked for. Let's not buy his

> clothes! Let's put him in a financial state where he himself will not be

> able to afford the ridiculous prices he puts on his clothes!

>

> PLEASE SEND THIS MESSAGE TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO SPENDS

> THEIR HARD-EARNED MONEY ON CLOTHES MADE BY SOMEONE WHO

> DOES NOT RESPECT THEM AS A PERSON OR A PEOPLE!

>

>

>

>

> --

> David Wm Brown.

>

> Author, " An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis,

>

> Objects and UML in Plain English "

>

> www.wiley.com

Guest guest

Dear Nimmi,

In the world the biggest enemy of life is discrimination. The reason for most of joy and sorrow is this discrimination and its resultant superlatives (big, bigger, biggest and small, smaller, smallest). One who feels on the higher superlatives behaves like arrogant and one who feels on lower superlatives experience inferiority complex. One who goes in a car feels superior and gets some falls satisfaction. Similarly, one who goes in bicycle and by seeing a car he feels sorrow and worries, why I should suffer like this?

It is not the mistake of the human, the Great God has created like this. If he created every body identical in physical, mental status, there is no discrimination at all.

In olden days, in India, discrimination was predominant in the form of caste. Now, that is waning. But, the discrimination evolves in another form in the work place, like white collar job and blue collar job.

So, discrimination is part of our life and we are facing it daily in one form or other. Among them racism is one. I am not supporting racist activity or attitude. I am arguing that if we want to remove we have to remove all forms of discrimination. We start the discrimination at very young age like kinder garden by giving marks or grade and discriminate the children.

As far as punishing is concerned, there are two things.

1. We are not qualified to punish him, unless we treat every body equally, without any mildest discrimination. But, once you start treat every body equally and see Vishnu in him, you cannot punish him.

2. The only way to prove that the inferiors (as referred by him) are superior, we have to buy his products and prove that buy buying his product we are superior and by not punishing him we have the heavenly qualities and still we are superior.

Thanks

Solai Kannan

106350.3660 [106350.3660]Wednesday, July 05, 2000 7:32 AMBhavani Thuraisingham; christabel selvadorai; Corinne Edwards; david bourne; Gary Key; Gary Frost; Heather Pickford; Jane Cumming; Jeeva Perumalpillai-Essex; Johaan Weerasinghe; Joybelle.Hansen; Kay Mansell; Kesara Goonawardena; Kim Hosker; Lord, Brian; Mcgarry Des; michael.burgun; Moosa Bismillah; NADARAJATHMRAI KUGENTHIRAN; Nick Kugendran; Nilmini Wanigasooriya; Peter Athaide; Pri Fernamdo; Raga Ragavan; Ranjith Henry; Shan Haines; Simon M Bell; Suroo Wickremaratne; tisjay; varahamihira ; Wayne Frost; Wesley and Minako; Yves Decarie[sri Guru] Fw: Racist Comments - Hilfiger

-David. Brown <flykiwiAlnoor Virji <avirjipc; Arnold Lemke<Arnold.Lemke; Arryn Brown <flykiwi; AuroraRooke <rookie011; Ben Kashani <bkashani;Bobby Caingles <bobbyc; Bruce Batchelor<bbatchelor; Caryl-Louise Robinson<caryl-louise.robinson; Claudia Avoledo<claudia.avoledo; Craig Johnson <cjohnson; DerekHopkins <hopkinsd; Diane Bessey and Geoffrey Walsh<Diane.and.Geoffrey; Dion Brown <dion; DonnaSavard <Donna.Savard; Elaine Kashani <ekashani;Ernie & Kee Tip Abbott <ernietip; Floyd Bird<bird; Graham Whitehead <grahamwhitehead; Hugh Read<hughread; Ian Stark <Ian_Stark; <Joanne_Miller;John Boyle <johnb@Tuesday, July 04, 2000 8:39 PMRacist Comments - Hilfiger>>> Forwarded from "Irene NG" <irenen>>>>> TOMMY HILFIGER'S RACIST COMMENT>> I'm sure many of you watched the recent taping of the Oprah Winfrey show> where her guest was Tommy Hilfiger. On the show, she asked him if the> statements about race he was accused of saying were true. Statements> like:>> "...if I'd known African-Americans, Hispanics, jewish and> Asians would buy my clothes, I would not have made them so nice.> I wish these people would *NOT* buy my clothes, as they are made for> upper> class white people.">> His answer to Oprah was a simple "YES", whereupon she asked him to> leave her show.>> My suggestion? Let's give him what he's asked for. Let's not buy his> clothes! Let's put him in a financial state where he himself will not be> able to afford the ridiculous prices he puts on his clothes!>> PLEASE SEND THIS MESSAGE TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO SPENDS> THEIR HARD-EARNED MONEY ON CLOTHES MADE BY SOMEONE WHO> DOES NOT RESPECT THEM AS A PERSON OR A PEOPLE!>>>>> --> David Wm Brown.>> Author, "An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis,>> Objects and UML in Plain English">> www.wiley.comOM TAT SATArchive: varahamihiraInfo: varahamihira/info.html

Guest guest

I dont necessarily think we are especially superior to Mr Hilfiger. I personally do not buy fashion clothes or perfumes (or anything) by brand name, so it is a matter of indifference to me. However, I do feel that it is not right to contribute to the power of someone with such views. They do have a very concrete effect on other peoples lives. Tolerance of such attitudes is tantamount to condoning the suffering these people can impose on others. I personally do not have anything to prove to Mr Hilfiger and I'm sure he is not particularly concerned with my opinions of him either.

And that includes my attitude to the caste system which I consider one of the great irrelevancies of today and probably one of the greatest hinderances to development in India. This is one of the reasons I do not think the current Hindu revivalist movement in India is a good or great thing. I have heard views from people like Col.Gaur whom I have had a great respect for previously, who talks in terms of military prowess. I feel this is a dead end approach that only results in escalated egos. Nuclear weapons are weapons that are only effective when not used. They remind me of the end of the Mahabharata war. Once unleashed, you cannot call it back. And it affects even the unborn in the womb. Personally, I cannot consider that there is any moral stance for the pursuit of nuclear weapons.

I also do think that the nationalistic stance required to support such grandstanding quite strange in a culture that believes in rebirth. Do all hindus believe they have always been born only as hindus and citizens of a particular nation? The implications of a belief in continuing cycles of birth should surely have an impact on many of our attitudes, undercutting most of them. How can I, with a belief in rebirth, and in the sense of being a part of the ultimate being, have racist, nationalist or caste onscious beliefs? This in a way is one of the conundrums of Hindu fundamentalism which I consider to be self defeating. It may be the biggest thread to hinduism yet.

-

Solai Kannan

varahamihira

Wednesday, July 05, 2000 7:54 AM

RE: [sri Guru] Fw: Racist Comments - Hilfiger

Dear Nimmi,

In the world the biggest enemy of life is discrimination. The reason for most of joy and sorrow is this discrimination and its resultant superlatives (big, bigger, biggest and small, smaller, smallest). One who feels on the higher superlatives behaves like arrogant and one who feels on lower superlatives experience inferiority complex. One who goes in a car feels superior and gets some falls satisfaction. Similarly, one who goes in bicycle and by seeing a car he feels sorrow and worries, why I should suffer like this?

It is not the mistake of the human, the Great God has created like this. If he created every body identical in physical, mental status, there is no discrimination at all.

In olden days, in India, discrimination was predominant in the form of caste. Now, that is waning. But, the discrimination evolves in another form in the work place, like white collar job and blue collar job.

So, discrimination is part of our life and we are facing it daily in one form or other. Among them racism is one. I am not supporting racist activity or attitude. I am arguing that if we want to remove we have to remove all forms of discrimination. We start the discrimination at very young age like kinder garden by giving marks or grade and discriminate the children.

As far as punishing is concerned, there are two things.

1. We are not qualified to punish him, unless we treat every body equally, without any mildest discrimination. But, once you start treat every body equally and see Vishnu in him, you cannot punish him.

2. The only way to prove that the inferiors (as referred by him) are superior, we have to buy his products and prove that buy buying his product we are superior and by not punishing him we have the heavenly qualities and still we are superior.

Thanks

Solai Kannan

106350.3660 [106350.3660]Wednesday, July 05, 2000 7:32 AMBhavani Thuraisingham; christabel selvadorai; Corinne Edwards; david bourne; Gary Key; Gary Frost; Heather Pickford; Jane Cumming; Jeeva Perumalpillai-Essex; Johaan Weerasinghe; Joybelle.Hansen; Kay Mansell; Kesara Goonawardena; Kim Hosker; Lord, Brian; Mcgarry Des; michael.burgun; Moosa Bismillah; NADARAJATHMRAI KUGENTHIRAN; Nick Kugendran; Nilmini Wanigasooriya; Peter Athaide; Pri Fernamdo; Raga Ragavan; Ranjith Henry; Shan Haines; Simon M Bell; Suroo Wickremaratne; tisjay; varahamihira ; Wayne Frost; Wesley and Minako; Yves Decarie[sri Guru] Fw: Racist Comments - Hilfiger

-David. Brown <flykiwiAlnoor Virji <avirjipc; Arnold Lemke<Arnold.Lemke; Arryn Brown <flykiwi; AuroraRooke <rookie011; Ben Kashani <bkashani;Bobby Caingles <bobbyc; Bruce Batchelor<bbatchelor; Caryl-Louise Robinson<caryl-louise.robinson; Claudia Avoledo<claudia.avoledo; Craig Johnson <cjohnson; DerekHopkins <hopkinsd; Diane Bessey and Geoffrey Walsh<Diane.and.Geoffrey; Dion Brown <dion; DonnaSavard <Donna.Savard; Elaine Kashani <ekashani;Ernie & Kee Tip Abbott <ernietip; Floyd Bird<bird; Graham Whitehead <grahamwhitehead; Hugh Read<hughread; Ian Stark <Ian_Stark; <Joanne_Miller;John Boyle <johnb@Tuesday, July 04, 2000 8:39 PMRacist Comments - Hilfiger>>> Forwarded from "Irene NG" <irenen>>>>> TOMMY HILFIGER'S RACIST COMMENT>> I'm sure many of you watched the recent taping of the Oprah Winfrey show> where her guest was Tommy Hilfiger. On the show, she asked him if the> statements about race he was accused of saying were true. Statements> like:>> "...if I'd known African-Americans, Hispanics, jewish and> Asians would buy my clothes, I would not have made them so nice.> I wish these people would *NOT* buy my clothes, as they are made for> upper> class white people.">> His answer to Oprah was a simple "YES", whereupon she asked him to> leave her show.>> My suggestion? Let's give him what he's asked for. Let's not buy his> clothes! Let's put him in a financial state where he himself will not be> able to afford the ridiculous prices he puts on his clothes!>> PLEASE SEND THIS MESSAGE TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO SPENDS> THEIR HARD-EARNED MONEY ON CLOTHES MADE BY SOMEONE WHO> DOES NOT RESPECT THEM AS A PERSON OR A PEOPLE!>>>>> --> David Wm Brown.>> Author, "An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis,>> Objects and UML in Plain English">> www.wiley.comOM TAT SATArchive: varahamihiraInfo: varahamihira/info.htmlOM TAT SATArchive: varahamihiraInfo: varahamihira/info.html