IndiaDivine.org

RETROGRESSION

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Anuragji, Namasar I am a member of this group and a learner of astrology. I have gone through your article on retrograde planets. I'll be grateful, if u could please analyze the below horoscope and let me know the effects of retrograde planets in this horoscope. TOB: 2.40Hrs POB Gurgaon, Haryana, DOB: 27.12.2005 The lagna and rashi is Tula. In this horoscope Saturn and Venus are retrograde. Saturn mahadasha is starting at 21 year of age till 40 years, this period is the prime time of ones career. So we are a little worried. How would be Saturn mahadasha for the native, What shud be done to get best results from retrograde Saturn and retrograde Venus. Looking forward to your reply. Thanks and regards, BalaAnurag Sharma <anuraagsharma27 wrote: Learned Members, There have been queries recently regarding the phenomenon of retrogression/ Vakratwa of Grahas. Some of these have been in independent threads while others

have been intertwined with miscellaneous discussions. On one of these Lists, Shri Rohini Ranjan referred one of the querents to an article written by him in the past on this subject. It will be a good idea to visit this article as it furnishes some personal insights and views of the learned author on the subject. The link is available at the Vedic Astrology List in the relevent thread. Some of my thoughts on the subject are laid down hereinbelow. These are only observations but they are sincere observations made with scholarly intent. In a recent article on Prashna, Pt. Sanjay Rath taught that the energy of the retrograde planet is that of a 'Bhupa' or king. This is a good point to start with. It echoes the classical sentiment, as recorded by Shri Rohini Ranjan in the aforesaid

article as well, that the retrograde planet is full of energy or 'Chestabal'. It has a lot of energy for Cheshta or for effort. Therefore, it is a powerful planet. Now, it is also said that retrograde planets delay things they affect in life. Pt. Rath has also stated that the results linked with the retrograde planet may even be denied till the planet turns direct in transit. Soemwhere Pt. Rath gave the example of King Bruce and the spider indicating that the areas associated with the retrograde planet require persistent and ceaseless effort. The idea here is that the retrograde planet gives conventional struggle and will delay things. In my view, while I agree that the retrograde planet will delay, it is important to not view the retrograde planet pejoratively, especially if it is a benefic. It is usually thought that due to the increase in power, the benefic planet becomes

more benefic and the malefic planet becomes more malefic. In other words, the planet becomes more powerful to do what it wants to do. What is the nature of this 'delay'? Why is a given Vakri planet in a chart delaying something? Is a Vakri planet necessarily mischievous or adverse that it wants to torment the native with delay? Not really. As always, the person, or a given life, is to be evaluated from the entire chart. A life theme is to be gleaned. See the AK, Yogas, Dashas, special Dashas, Vargas...everything to see what this 'power' or 'intesity' or 'delay' is all about. Is it to hone some skill not fully developed in past lives? When Rohini Ji says, there is some internalising effect due to retrogression, it can be gleaned, especially in charts of contemplative people. With

retrograde planets in the nativity, it might be especially prudent to look for unusual factors that may point at delay in certain areas, even apart from the retrograde planet. It is important to see why a planet, especially a benefic has turned retrograde. The retrograde planet is unusual. It touches areas that are not usually touched. It is a path-breaker. It is only in this quality of breaking barriers that it is like Rahu. I do not think that a powerful and retrograde benefic will become malefic like Rahu. See the Amsha rulers of the retrograde planet in Vargas to see what sort of activity it is going to contribute to and whether it is a 'good' unusual or a 'bad' unusual. Not to say that 'good' and 'bad' are so cut-and-dried. Look at the chart of Morarji Desai, discussed in Pt. Sanjay Rath's Collected Papers in Vedic Astrology-Vol. 1. (February 29, 1896; 13:38:00, 4:51

east;72 E 56, 20 N 38). Both the 9th and 10th Lords are retrograde in their exaltation signs giving effects of debility! This is the chart of a very accomplished person. The 10th Lord is retrograde in its exaltation sign and in the 2nd House of resources, a houses that otherwise is a participant in Simhasan Yogas. Also, the 9th Lord of luck is retrograde in the 5th House of power in its exaltation sign! Yet, the native achieved a great degree of poilitical prowess. Of course, the fructification of life potential is seen in the Maharaja Yoga etc but as far as the Vakratwa of two crucial planets goes, even their effects of debility did not hinder rising to one of the highest offices of the land. Thus, retrogression or any other single factor are just that, singular factors, that have to be studied in the overall context of the charts. Regards, Anurag Sharma. Web: http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com http://www.astrologyguild.com at the Articles page

Talk is cheap. Use Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

Hi Anurag,

How about the placement of retrograde planet. For exp. if the mercury in natal chart is lord of 11th house (resources ) is placed in Duststana like 8th House. Does it make powerful to take away the resources in Mahadasha and Antardasha

How we treat the such combination.

Cheers

Sudeep

On 10/1/06, Anurag Sharma <anuraagsharma27 wrote:

Learned Members,

There have been queries recently regarding the phenomenon of retrogression/ Vakratwa of Grahas. Some of these have been in independent threads while others have been intertwined with miscellaneous discussions. On one of these Lists, Shri Rohini Ranjan referred one of the querents to an article written by him in the past on this subject. It will be a good idea to visit this article as it furnishes some personal insights and views of the learned author on the subject. The link is available at the Vedic Astrology List in the relevent thread.

Some of my thoughts on the subject are laid down hereinbelow. These are only observations but they are sincere observations made with scholarly intent.

In a recent article on Prashna, Pt. Sanjay Rath taught that the energy of the retrograde planet is that of a 'Bhupa' or king. This is a good point to start with. It echoes the classical sentiment, as recorded by Shri Rohini Ranjan in the aforesaid article as well, that the retrograde planet is full of energy or 'Chestabal'. It has a lot of energy for Cheshta or for effort. Therefore, it is a powerful planet.

Now, it is also said that retrograde planets delay things they affect in life. Pt. Rath has also stated that the results linked with the retrograde planet may even be denied till the planet turns direct in transit. Soemwhere Pt. Rath gave the example of King Bruce and the spider indicating that the areas associated with the retrograde planet require persistent and ceaseless effort. The idea here is that the retrograde planet gives conventional struggle and will delay things. In my view, while I agree that the retrograde planet will delay, it is important to not view the retrograde planet pejoratively, especially if it is a benefic. It is usually thought that due to the increase in power, the benefic planet becomes more benefic and the malefic planet becomes more malefic. In other words, the planet becomes more powerful to do what it wants to do.

What is the nature of this 'delay'? Why is a given Vakri planet in a chart delaying something? Is a Vakri planet necessarily mischievous or adverse that it wants to torment the native with delay? Not really. As always, the person, or a given life, is to be evaluated from the entire chart. A life theme is to be gleaned. See the AK, Yogas, Dashas, special Dashas, Vargas...everything to see what this 'power' or 'intesity' or 'delay' is all about. Is it to hone some skill not fully developed in past lives? When Rohini Ji says, there is some internalising effect due to retrogression, it can be gleaned, especially in charts of contemplative people.

With retrograde planets in the nativity, it might be especially prudent to look for unusual factors that may point at delay in certain areas, even apart from the retrograde planet. It is important to see why a planet, especially a benefic has turned retrograde. The retrograde planet is unusual. It touches areas that are not usually touched. It is a path-breaker. It is only in this quality of breaking barriers that it is like Rahu. I do not think that a powerful and retrograde benefic will become malefic like Rahu. See the Amsha rulers of the retrograde planet in Vargas to see what sort of activity it is going to contribute to and whether it is a 'good' unusual or a 'bad' unusual. Not to say that 'good' and 'bad' are so cut-and-dried.

Look at the chart of Morarji Desai, discussed in Pt. Sanjay Rath's Collected Papers in Vedic Astrology-Vol. 1. (February 29, 1896; 13:38:00, 4:51 east;72 E 56, 20 N 38). Both the 9th and 10th Lords are retrograde in their exaltation signs giving effects of debility! This is the chart of a very accomplished person. The 10th Lord is retrograde in its exaltation sign and in the 2nd House of resources, a houses that otherwise is a participant in Simhasan Yogas. Also, the 9th Lord of luck is retrograde in the 5th House of power in its exaltation sign! Yet, the native achieved a great degree of poilitical prowess. Of course, the fructification of life potential is seen in the Maharaja Yoga etc but as far as the Vakratwa of two crucial planets goes, even their effects of debility did not hinder rising to one of the highest offices of the land.

Thus, retrogression or any other single factor are just that, singular factors, that have to be studied in the overall context of the charts.

Regards,

Anurag Sharma.

Web: http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com

http://www.astrologyguild.com at the Articles page

-- with regards

Sudeep Gupta

• 2 years later...
Guest guest

Respected Madam,

What I understand is that a planet when turns retrograde does not change its quality. If it is good for a particular Bhava, it is good; if it is evil, it is evil during retrogression also. When a planet, a superior planet,

is in retrograde motion, it is very near to the Earth. So its effect shall be more pronounced whether good or evil. The result it gives again depends on its associates among the DBAS lords. A single planet does not give any perceptable result. If I am not wrong.

Dr. Rath

sujata das <sujatadash1kp system Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:38:43 PM retrogression

DearFriendsSa In 10th is supposed to take you to the top and drop u in an ocean. Is retrogade sa in 11th responsible or my secret enemies responsibleIn 1980, I was a sub-divisional officer cum magistrate in a sub division of a district. I was famous as a just, compassionate officer, most concerned about people's grievances and development. On 27 3 1982, I met with an accident and was on leave for 3 months. In 1988, I was doing extremely well in career and then my husband was shot dead within 3 months of my joining this posting.Success in career is dogged by misfotunes.Is it because of retrogade sa in 11th as I have been on useless postings since oct. 1995 except for a period of 9 months from 10-5-05 to 27-2-06. RegardsSujataAdd more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger. /

invite/

Guest guest

Dear Luther ji

If a Retrograde planet is in 8th house, it will reverse its direction and give the result of 7th house also. It is a nadi rule. Some KP astrologers are following this rule.

Retrograde planet will change the direction from arognam to avaroganam.. So the planet will not act normally. It will behave abnormally.

Dhanabalan --- On Mon, 3/2/09, Luther Rath <rathluther wrote:

Luther Rath <rathlutherRe: retrogression Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 3:19 PM

Respected Madam,

What I understand is that a planet when turns retrograde does not change its quality. If it is good for a particular Bhava, it is good; if it is evil, it is evil during retrogression also. When a planet, a superior planet,

is in retrograde motion, it is very near to the Earth. So its effect shall be more pronounced whether good or evil. The result it gives again depends on its associates among the DBAS lords. A single planet does not give any perceptable result. If I am not wrong.

Dr. Rath

sujata das <sujatadash1@ .co. in>kp system <@gro ups.com>Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:38:43 PM retrogression

DearFriendsSa In 10th is supposed to take you to the top and drop u in an ocean. Is retrogade sa in 11th responsible or my secret enemies responsibleIn 1980, I was a sub-divisional officer cum magistrate in a sub division of a district. I was famous as a just, compassionate officer, most concerned about people's grievances and development. On 27 3 1982, I met with an accident and was on leave for 3 months. In 1988, I was doing extremely well in career and then my husband was shot dead within 3 months of my joining this posting.Success in career is dogged by misfotunes.Is it because of retrogade sa in 11th as I have been on useless postings since oct. 1995 except for a period of 9 months from 10-5-05 to 27-2-06. RegardsSujataAdd more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Go to http://messenger. /

invite/

Guest guest

Dear Sir,

I am not aware of this fact. I do not remember to have read in KP.

Dr. Rath

Dhanabalan R <r.dhanabalan Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 1:42:28 PMRe: retrogression

Dear Luther ji

If a Retrograde planet is in 8th house, it will reverse its direction and give the result of 7th house also.. It is a nadi rule. Some KP astrologers are following this rule.

Retrograde planet will change the direction from arognam to avaroganam... So the planet will not act normally. It will behave abnormally.

Dhanabalan --- On Mon, 3/2/09, Luther Rath <rathluther > wrote:

Luther Rath <rathluther >Re: retrogression@gro ups.comMonday, March 2, 2009, 3:19 PM

Respected Madam,

Dr. Rath

sujata das <sujatadash1@ .co. in>kp system <@gro ups.com>Sunday, March 1, 2009 9:38:43 PM retrogression

invite/

Guest guest

Dear Sujata Ji,

I like to share with you some of the observations which you have made about Sar ® in 11th house. In my chart (dob 2nd April 1955 ).SAT® is in 1th house (tradional Astrology) and in 10th as per KP chart. I was holding the positon of Director in a multinational company .in 2003 i was asked to leave for silly reasons as i was not willing to compromise i came out and at this stage one of my old friend offered me to join his business and floated a new company under my leadership.with my hard work and good contacts I brought this company up but to my surprise my friend started behaving differently and the situation has come that I have to part leaving everything .I am struggling to get something for me. He has put false allegations on me . Both Sat ® in 10th and 11th are showing these miseries to me I feel. More I relate this to the 7 1/2 years of sat which started in 2003.

sunil

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Dhanabalan R <r.dhanabalan wrote:

Dhanabalan R <r.dhanabalanRe: retrogression Date: Tuesday, 3 March, 2009, 1:42 PM

Dear Luther ji

If a Retrograde planet is in 8th house, it will reverse its direction and give the result of 7th house also. It is a nadi rule. Some KP astrologers are following this rule.

Retrograde planet will change the direction from arognam to avaroganam.. So the planet will not act normally. It will behave abnormally.

Luther Rath <rathluther >Re: retrogression@gro ups.comMonday, March 2, 2009, 3:19 PM

Respected Madam,

Dr. Rath

invite/

Connect with friends all over the world. Get India Messenger.

Guest guest

Dear SunilVery sad indeed. what ia dob etc , and dates of happenings. The dasas must have supported deceit by friendRegardssujata--- On Wed, 4/3/09, sunil paul <delhi1955 wrote:sunil paul <delhi1955Re: retrogression Date: Wednesday, 4 March, 2009, 1:05 PM

Dear Sujata Ji,

I like to share with you some of the observations which you have made about Sar ® in 11th house. In my chart (dob 2nd April 1955 ).SAT® is in 1th house (tradional Astrology) and in 10th as per KP chart. I was holding the positon of Director in a multinational company .in 2003 i was asked to leave for silly reasons as i was not willing to compromise i came out and at this stage one of my old friend offered me to join his business and floated a new company under my leadership.with my hard work and good contacts I brought this company up but to my surprise my friend started behaving differently and the situation has come that I have to part leaving everything .I am struggling to get something for me. He has put false allegations on me . Both Sat ® in 10th and 11th are showing these miseries to me I feel. More I relate this to the 7 1/2 years of sat which started in 2003.

sunil

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Dhanabalan R <r.dhanabalan@ > wrote:

Dhanabalan R <r.dhanabalan@ >Re: retrogression@gro ups.comTuesday, 3 March, 2009, 1:42 PM

Dear Luther ji

Respected Madam,

Dr. Rath

invite/

Add more friends to your messenger and enjoy! Invite them now.

Guest guest

Dear Sujata Ji

Thanks. My dob 2nd April 955 time 1.00am place jabalpur( now in chattisgarh).currently running Sun /ketu..Lost job on 18th july 2003 .New company registered on 31.1.2004 Problems with the partners going on , I have asked for my share but no result so far.Last discussion held on 5th march 09.

sunil paul--- On Sun, 8/3/09, sujata das <sujatadash1 wrote:

sujata das <sujatadash1Re: retrogression Date: Sunday, 8 March, 2009, 12:03 PM

Dear SunilVery sad indeed. what ia dob etc , and dates of happenings. The dasas must have supported deceit by friendRegardssujata--- On Wed, 4/3/09, sunil paul <delhi1955 (AT) (DOT) co.in> wrote:

sunil paul <delhi1955 (AT) (DOT) co.in>Re: retrogression@gro ups.comWednesday, 4 March, 2009, 1:05 PM

Dear Sujata Ji,

sunil

--- On Tue, 3/3/09, Dhanabalan R <r.dhanabalan@ > wrote:

Dhanabalan R <r.dhanabalan@ >Re: retrogression@gro ups.comTuesday, 3 March, 2009, 1:42 PM

Dear Luther ji

Respected Madam,

Dr. Rath

invite/

• 9 months later...

Dear ones,

am sharing a part of news letter from penny Farrow,a vedic

astrologer/teacher below which may help those who are interested.She is

very much interested in our shatras!!!

//Infusing Freshness into Established Tradition The third and

fourth golden keys naturally go together and provide the mechanism

whereby the stability of the tradition does not decay into staleness and

dogma. The formal name for the third key is apurvata which essentially

means a unique principle that is not available elsewhere in shastra or

repeated within the shastra in which it occurs.

Apurvata can be extended somewhat to include a unique interpretation or

elaboration of an established principle in shastra, However, it does NOT

include coming up with something idiosyncratic that has no basis

whatever in the tradition.

The " partner " to apurvata and the fourth golden key is phala which

literally means results. It implies testing the apurvata principle or

unique interpretation over a significant period of time by many

different jyotishis to confirm that it is a valid and substantial

principle that is useful and replicable.

Because a unique principle in shastra is an attention getter, apurvata

is also a way of " red flagging " something and even startling the reader

with what can appear to be a contradiction. An interesting example from

a text called Phaladipika is a statement saying that exalted grahas that

are retrograde give results akin to debilitated grahas. Those are

" fighting words " to the ears of a well trained jyotishi who knows that

both retrogression and exaltation makes a graha very strong.

What can be meant by this odd statement? Apurvata is a way of signaling

the need to stop and ponder the odd and unique statement and try to get

to the underlying message. In this case, shastra is emphasizing the

idea that an exalted planet that is also retrograde is extremely

powerful but that this power does not always produce auspicious results

for the native. Picture if you will an exalted Saturn that is also

retrograde sitting in the 7th house where it also has dig bala. There

will be some matters that will be hugely enhanced by this Saturn but

according to the context of the chart, it may also cause huge

difficulties. Those difficulties arise because this Saturn will afflict

almost all of the primary relationships - partner by occupation of the

7th, father by aspect to the 9th, mother by aspect to the 4th and the

lagna by aspecting into it as a triply powerful malefic. In this way it

may give an outcome akin to a debilitated graha...

In a similar way, there is a statement that a debilitated graha that is

retrograde gives the results of an exalted one!! The intent here is

likely to completely underscore the importance of retrogression as a way

of providing an inherent strength to a graha.

In neither of the above cases is one to literally expect either of the

results all the time. It is the shastra's way of signaling that one

must examine these occurrences very carefully, apply these principles to

many charts through many years of practice in order to understand under

what circumstances you will get the stated phala or results.

These two principles form a powerful combination insuring that in future

generations, there can be both an examination of interesting " corners "

of shastra and a fresh look at established principles through the lens

of the current time and place. For example, where in the shastra does

it deal with airplanes? Where are computers mentioned? How do we deal

with artificial insemination? If Jyotisha is going to be relevant, we

must be able to redefine and rework what the rishis say and apply them

to all people in all times.//

Love and regards,

gopi.