IndiaDivine.org

The Line drawn by Devi Durga on Vedic Astrology

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Param Guru Sanjay Rathji,

I have a question that sprung out of my ignorance.

Please do pardon me for asking this and show me the light on this

issue as you have always done.

Guruji Freedom Cole writes about you on the website

http://srath.com/home/about.htm as under:

" He uses Brihat Parasara Hora Shastra, Jaimini Upadesa Sutras,

Brihat Jataka and Saravali as the foundations of Jyotisha and

teaches from various other Jyotish scripture and sacred literature

such as the Bhagavad Gita, Upanisads, Puranas, etc. "

Would a novice like me consider these texts only as the domain of

Vedic Astrology?

If not where does Devi Durga draw the line of demarkation for Vedic

Astrology? What is in it and what should a mere student like me read

to say to the world that I am studying Vedic Astrology?

If there is already a place where you have written about this,

please do point me to that site or article.

Student Always,

Souvik

Guest guest

| om gurave namah |Dear Souvik

Jyotisa are not allowed to teach the Veda. Only a qualified Brahmana can do that. Vedanga is not the veda although it is an essential part of it just as your hand is not you but is just a part of you. This is the line she draws and we must respect it. That is why I insist that Jyotish Guru's should not try to become diksha gurus and should instead assist the diksha gurus in doing their task.

There are no hard and fast rules or lines in Sanskrit literature. I know of some scholars who have studied Brihat Samhita very extensively...and was shocked to know that it was not for Jyotish but for poetry and composition style of the erudite Varahamihira.

So where is the line Souvik?Best wishes and warm regards,Sanjay RathPersonal: WebPages ● Rath’s Rhapsody SJC WebPages: Sri Jagannath Center ● SJCERC ● JIVAPublications: The Jyotish Digest ● Sagittarius Publications----

sohamsa [sohamsa ] On Behalf Of Souvik DuttaMonday, June 05, 2006 3:35 AMsohamsa Subject: The Line drawn by Devi Durga on Vedic Astrology

Param Guru Sanjay Rathji,I have a question that sprung out of my ignorance.Please do pardon me for asking this and show me the light on this issue as you have always done.Guruji Freedom Cole writes about you on the website http://srath.com/home/about.htm as under:"He uses Brihat Parasara Hora Shastra, Jaimini Upadesa Sutras, Brihat Jataka and Saravali as the foundations of Jyotisha and teaches from various other Jyotish scripture and sacred literature such as the Bhagavad Gita, Upanisads, Puranas, etc."Would a novice like me consider these texts only as the domain of Vedic Astrology?If not where does Devi Durga draw the line of demarkation for Vedic Astrology? What is in it and what should a mere student like me read to say to the world that I am studying Vedic Astrology?If there is already a place where you have written about this, please do point me to that site or article.Student Always,Souvik

avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.

Virus Database (VPS): 0623-0, 06/05/2006Tested on: 6/5/2006 11:02:14 PMavast! - copyright © 1988-2006 ALWIL Software.