IndiaDivine.org

Shadripu & Language

Rate this topic

Guest guest

"Taaraaye Namah"

Learned Members,

Just surfing channels on the telly last night, I encountered a promotional advertisement for the film 'Envy' starring Jack Black and Ben Stiller. The word "Envy" was written in fluorescent green (Budh/ Mercury). It just occurred to me that the famous and common expression "green with envy" is not really based on a physical phenomena. It is not empirical in nature.

I mean, it is not that a person, even of white skin pigmentation actually turns green when feeling envious. I haven't researched the origins of the phrase and am just scribbling a note based on some surface Jyotish insight that may have come. So, if the phrase "green with envy" is not really based on the fact that the person turns physically green, it is interesting to view the possible Jyotish implications of the phrase.

Before that, the phrase "green with envy" should be distinguished from "red with rage" which is perhaps more empirical in that in can be observed. People usually do turn red in the face when enraged and the redness would be contingent on the colour of their skins; with darker or brown pigmentation, the redness will manifest as a 'red darkness' or a 'dark redness'.

Back to the 'green with envy'. When we look at Shadripu/ the six types of weaknesses, we find that envy/ Matsarya is ruled by Mercury/ Budh! The planet Mercury/ Graha Budh rules the colour green. It is very interesting indeed to observe this. The Sages would not have coined the English phrase and the phrase is not too obviously empirical. And yet the linkage between Matsarya/ envy and Mercury is manifest.

It strengthens in me a feeling that Jyotish is in many ways the penultimate truth, the last frontier of mythic knowledge.

A thought that came regarding the clearer manifestation of the colour red in an empirical sense relates to the rulership of Mars over the Bhu-loka. All this aggression and pummeling the other person into submission which goes on in the Bhu-Loka is the domain of Mars. It's a loose observation but perhaps the colour of Mars manifests easily because this is his area and he feels natural in arriving even 'as a rush of blood to the head'.

Of course, the linkages generally of the Grahas with the Shadripu are many based on Karakattwa etc but it was just the phrase that caught the fancy of the musing mind.

Regards,

Anurag Sharma.

Web:http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com http://www.astrologyguild.com at the Articles page

Dear Anurag,

I am a bit confused; perhaps you can enlighten me? You write Taaraaye Namah? To my knowledge that is grammatically incorrect and Tara can be either Taare or Taaraayai. Any thoughts?

Bets regards,

Sarbani

sohamsa [sohamsa ] On Behalf Of Anurag SharmaThursday, September 21, 2006 12:11 PMVedic Astrology List; sohamsa ; Subject: Shadripu & Language

"Taaraaye Namah"

Learned Members,

Just surfing channels on the telly last night, I encountered a promotional advertisement for the film 'Envy' starring Jack Black and Ben Stiller. The word "Envy" was written in fluorescent green (Budh/ Mercury). It just occurred to me that the famous and common expression "green with envy" is not really based on a physical phenomena. It is not empirical in nature.

I mean, it is not that a person, even of white skin pigmentation actually turns green when feeling envious. I haven't researched the origins of the phrase and am just scribbling a note based on some surface Jyotish insight that may have come. So, if the phrase "green with envy" is not really based on the fact that the person turns physically green, it is interesting to view the possible Jyotish implications of the phrase.

Before that, the phrase "green with envy" should be distinguished from "red with rage" which is perhaps more empirical in that in can be observed. People usually do turn red in the face when enraged and the redness would be contingent on the colour of their skins; with darker or brown pigmentation, the redness will manifest as a 'red darkness' or a 'dark redness'.

Back to the 'green with envy'. When we look at Shadripu/ the six types of weaknesses, we find that envy/ Matsarya is ruled by Mercury/ Budh! The planet Mercury/ Graha Budh rules the colour green. It is very interesting indeed to observe this. The Sages would not have coined the English phrase and the phrase is not too obviously empirical. And yet the linkage between Matsarya/ envy and Mercury is manifest.

It strengthens in me a feeling that Jyotish is in many ways the penultimate truth, the last frontier of mythic knowledge.

A thought that came regarding the clearer manifestation of the colour red in an empirical sense relates to the rulership of Mars over the Bhu-loka. All this aggression and pummeling the other person into submission which goes on in the Bhu-Loka is the domain of Mars. It's a loose observation but perhaps the colour of Mars manifests easily because this is his area and he feels natural in arriving even 'as a rush of blood to the head'.

Of course, the linkages generally of the Grahas with the Shadripu are many based on Karakattwa etc but it was just the phrase that caught the fancy of the musing mind.

Regards,

Anurag Sharma.

Web:http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com http://www.astrologyguild.com at the Articles page

Dear Sarbani,

I pronounce it as Taaraayai Namah when I recite the Mantra. I think

it would be best expressed as Taaraaye Namah if there was a

diacritical sign atop the last e in Taaraaye. That would lend the

correct phonetic element to the word. I don't think my keyboard will

support the diacritical sign atop the e. But Taaraayai is what I

intended.

Best wishes,

Anurag.

sohamsa , " Sarbani Sarkar " <sarbani wrote:

>

> Dear Anurag,

>

> I am a bit confused; perhaps you can enlighten me? You write

Taaraaye Namah?

> To my knowledge that is grammatically incorrect and Tara can be

either Taare

> or Taaraayai. Any thoughts?

>

> Bets regards,

>

> Sarbani

>

> _____

>

> sohamsa [sohamsa ] On

Behalf Of

> Anurag Sharma

> Thursday, September 21, 2006 12:11 PM

> Vedic Astrology List; sohamsa ;

>

> Shadripu & Language

" Taaraaye Namah "

>

> Learned Members,

>

> Just surfing channels on the telly last night, I encountered a

promotional

> advertisement for the film 'Envy' starring Jack Black and Ben

Stiller. The

> word " Envy " was written in fluorescent green (Budh/ Mercury). It

just

> occurred to me that the famous and common expression " green with

envy " is

> not really based on a physical phenomena. It is not empirical in

nature.

>

> I mean, it is not that a person, even of white skin pigmentation

actually

> turns green when feeling envious. I haven't researched the origins

of the

> phrase and am just scribbling a note based on some surface Jyotish

insight

> that may have come. So, if the phrase " green with envy " is not

really based

> on the fact that the person turns physically green, it is

interesting to

> view the possible Jyotish implications of the phrase.

>

> Before that, the phrase " green with envy " should be distinguished

from " red

> with rage " which is perhaps more empirical in that in can be

observed.

> People usually do turn red in the face when enraged and the

redness would be

> contingent on the colour of their skins; with darker or brown

pigmentation,

> the redness will manifest as a 'red darkness' or a 'dark redness'.

>

> Back to the 'green with envy'. When we look at Shadripu/ the six

types of

> weaknesses, we find that envy/ Matsarya is ruled by Mercury/ Budh!

The

> planet Mercury/ Graha Budh rules the colour green. It is very

interesting

> indeed to observe this. The Sages would not have coined the

English phrase

> and the phrase is not too obviously empirical. And yet the linkage

between

> Matsarya/ envy and Mercury is manifest.

>

> It strengthens in me a feeling that Jyotish is in many ways the

penultimate

> truth, the last frontier of mythic knowledge.

>

> A thought that came regarding the clearer manifestation of the

colour red in

> an empirical sense relates to the rulership of Mars over the Bhu-

loka. All

> this aggression and pummeling the other person into submission

which goes on

> in the Bhu-Loka is the domain of Mars. It's a loose observation

but perhaps

> the colour of Mars manifests easily because this is his area and

he feels

> natural in arriving even 'as a rush of blood to the head'.

>

> Of course, the linkages generally of the Grahas with the Shadripu

are many

> based on Karakattwa etc but it was just the phrase that caught the

fancy of

> the musing mind.

>

> Regards,

> Anurag Sharma.

> Web:http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com

> http://www.astrolog <http://www.astrologyguild.com>

yguild.com at

> the Articles page

>

Hare Raama Krsna

I appreciated this message from Anurag about the connection of color and whether or not empirical evidence exists supporting how language manifests. In doing only a cursory amount of research just now I did note a couple interesting things:

One, that maybe " green with envy " does come from a change in the pigmentation of one's skin.

"

Judith S. Neaman and Carole G. Silver (two known authors on books about language and usage) report that 'green' and 'pale' were alternate meanings of the same Greek word. In the seventh century B.C., the poetess Sappho, used the word 'green' to describe the complexion of a stricken lover. The Greeks believed that jealousy was accompanied by an overproduction of bile, lending a pallid green cast to the victim. "

and then, there is also the the " Seven Deadly Sins " of which envy is a part.

this is a list of the " seven sins " and the corresponding " seven virtues " as given in the book of proverbs/Old Testament.

Pride – humility (modesty)

Greed – generosity

Lust – Chastity (purity)

Envy - kindness(charity)

Gluttony – Moderation (self-control)

Wrath – patience (peace)

Sloth – diligence (enthusiasm)

This made me wonder if there is any relationship to the chara karakas, but then how could rahu and Ketu not be included in a list of seven deadly sins?

Anyway, thanks for " tickling my fancy " and starting me thinking on this.

Aum Namah Sivaaya

On 9/21/06, Sarbani Sarkar <sarbani wrote:

Dear Anurag,

I am a bit confused; perhaps you can enlighten me? You write Taaraaye Namah? To my knowledge that is grammatically incorrect and Tara can be either Taare or Taaraayai. Any thoughts?

Bets regards,

Sarbani

sohamsa [

sohamsa ] On Behalf Of Anurag SharmaThursday, September 21, 2006 12:11 PMVedic Astrology List;

sohamsa ; Subject: Shadripu & Language

" Taaraaye Namah "

Learned Members,

Just surfing channels on the telly last night, I encountered a promotional advertisement for the film 'Envy' starring Jack Black and Ben Stiller. The word " Envy " was written in fluorescent green (Budh/ Mercury). It just occurred to me that the famous and common expression " green with envy " is not really based on a physical phenomena. It is not empirical in nature.

I mean, it is not that a person, even of white skin pigmentation actually turns green when feeling envious. I haven't researched the origins of the phrase and am just scribbling a note based on some surface Jyotish insight that may have come. So, if the phrase " green with envy " is not really based on the fact that the person turns physically green, it is interesting to view the possible Jyotish implications of the phrase.

Before that, the phrase " green with envy " should be distinguished from " red with rage " which is perhaps more empirical in that in can be observed. People usually do turn red in the face when enraged and the redness would be contingent on the colour of their skins; with darker or brown pigmentation, the redness will manifest as a 'red darkness' or a 'dark redness'.

Regards,

Anurag Sharma.

Web:http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com

http://www.astrologyguild.com at the Articles page

-- learn Jyotish - Vedic Astrology (one of my passions):

www.vyasasjc.orghttp://.org/--...I have come into this world to experience this:for all other knowledge will leave us again in want and aching -only imbibing the glorious Sun

will complete us...-Hafiz

Om Namo Narayanaya Dear Amrita and Anurag, This is very interesting thinking about language. It seems that human conscience is based on a unic spiritual archetype. But that archetype is hard to decipher due to civilisation changes. I`ll give just few examples here-Eskim people have 16 terms for defining white color which means that language developed in a certain direction because of the circumstances. Islands people have numerous terms for defining the color of the see that we can not even translate... Green and pale that you mentioned in Greek language had similar, but not the same meaning in Slavic language where green and gold stands for the same, though both Greek and Slavic have the same language origin... So I think that we should start from the beginning and relate the colors to Chakras and their function. I don`t know does the Mercury and Mooladhara chakra are related to

envy, but it could be that disorder on this level reflects in color changes. Ancient people and even some people today are able to actually see these changes. So the seven deadly sins/virtues are related to seven grahas that preside over the seven chakras. We can try assign planets to these qualities. I will give the suggestion, please correct me. Pride/humility=Sun Greed/generosity=Moon Lust/Chestity(purity)=Venus Envy/kindness(charity)=Mercury Gluttony/moderation(self control)=Saturn Wrath/patience=Mars Sloth/diligence=Jupiter Sincerely, Tijana amrita <durgama wrote: Hare Raama Krsna I appreciated this message from Anurag about the connection of color and whether or not empirical evidence exists supporting how language manifests. In doing only a cursory amount of research just now I did note a couple interesting things: One, that maybe "green with envy" does come from a change in the pigmentation of one's skin. " Judith S. Neaman and Carole G. Silver (two known authors on books about language and usage) report that 'green' and 'pale' were alternate meanings of the same Greek

word. In the seventh century B.C., the poetess Sappho, used the word 'green' to describe the complexion of a stricken lover. The Greeks believed that jealousy was accompanied by an overproduction of bile, lending a pallid green cast to the victim." and then, there is also the the "Seven Deadly Sins" of which envy is a part. this is a list of the " seven sins" and the corresponding "seven virtues" as given in the book of proverbs/Old Testament. Pride – humility (modesty) Greed – generosity Lust – Chastity (purity) Envy - kindness(charity) Gluttony – Moderation (self-control) Wrath – patience (peace) Sloth – diligence (enthusiasm) This made me wonder if there is any relationship to the chara karakas, but then how could rahu and Ketu not be included in a

list of seven deadly sins? Anyway, thanks for "tickling my fancy" and starting me thinking on this. Aum Namah Sivaaya On 9/21/06, Sarbani Sarkar <sarbani (AT) (DOT) org> wrote: Dear Anurag, I am a bit confused; perhaps you can enlighten me? You write Taaraaye Namah? To my knowledge that is grammatically incorrect and Tara can be either Taare or Taaraayai. Any thoughts? Bets regards, Sarbani sohamsa [ sohamsa ] On Behalf Of Anurag

SharmaThursday, September 21, 2006 12:11 PMVedic Astrology List; sohamsa ; Subject: Shadripu & Language "Taaraaye Namah" Learned Members, Just surfing channels on the telly last night, I encountered a promotional advertisement for the film 'Envy' starring Jack Black and Ben Stiller. The word "Envy" was written in fluorescent green (Budh/ Mercury). It just occurred to me that the famous and common expression "green with envy" is not really based on a physical phenomena. It is not empirical in nature. I mean, it is not that a person, even of white skin pigmentation actually turns green when feeling envious. I haven't researched the origins of the phrase and am just scribbling a note based on some surface Jyotish insight that may have come. So, if the phrase "green with envy" is not really based on the fact that the person turns physically green, it is interesting to view the possible Jyotish implications of the phrase. Before that, the phrase "green with envy" should be distinguished from "red with rage" which is perhaps more empirical in that in can be observed. People usually do turn red in the face when enraged and the redness would be contingent on the colour of their skins; with darker or brown pigmentation, the redness will manifest as a 'red darkness' or a 'dark redness'. Back to the 'green with envy'. When we look at Shadripu/ the six types of weaknesses, we find that envy/

Matsarya is ruled by Mercury/ Budh! The planet Mercury/ Graha Budh rules the colour green. It is very interesting indeed to observe this. The Sages would not have coined the English phrase and the phrase is not too obviously empirical. And yet the linkage between Matsarya/ envy and Mercury is manifest. It strengthens in me a feeling that Jyotish is in many ways the penultimate truth, the last frontier of mythic knowledge. A thought that came regarding the clearer manifestation of the colour red in an empirical sense relates to the rulership of Mars over the Bhu-loka. All this aggression and pummeling the other person into submission which goes on in the Bhu-Loka is the domain of Mars. It's a loose observation but perhaps the colour of Mars manifests easily because this is his area and he feels natural in arriving even 'as a rush of blood to the head'. Of course, the

linkages generally of the Grahas with the Shadripu are many based on Karakattwa etc but it was just the phrase that caught the fancy of the musing mind. Regards, Anurag Sharma. Web:http://www.planetarytransformation.blogspot.com http://www.astrologyguild.com at the Articles page -- learn Jyotish - Vedic Astrology (one of my passions):www.vyasasjc.orghttp://.org/--...I have come into this world to experience this:for all other knowledge will leave us again in want and aching

-only imbibing the glorious Sun will complete us...-Hafiz

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.