IndiaDivine.org

Varahamihira] Hindu Dichotomy Questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Sandy,

From my perspective your questions are more than valid, but then I too am western born and bred in Christianity although I now practice Chan Buddhism, simply because I can understand these teachings. I have been able to 'go with the flow' with Hinduism because I accept their idea that there is but one God and this God has many faces. Somehow this makes sense to me as it allows for individual freedom in understanding the huge concept of God. Anyway I am certainly looking forward to the answers you will receive.

As for Sanjay's book I suggest you get it from India, from Manorama Books. The service is both fast and resonable. Just contact manoramaoccult and you will get whatever you need.

Take care.....................

Phyllis

-

Sandy Crowther

varahamihira

Saturday, November 02, 2002 8:55 AM

[sJC: Varahamihira] Hindu Dichotomy Questions

Dear List,

Namaste!

My first post…J I am again trying to eliminate some confusion, and sort out (in my mind) the different branches of Hinduism…so please excuse both me, and my questions, if they seem elementary and inappropriate for this list…I am not new to Jyotish, but I am quite new to this list. Jyotish and spirituality go hand in hand, in my mind. When on the path to enlightenment, in order to fully understand and absorb one teaching, I think we also need absolute clarity, with respect to the other. I am just looking to get closer to the Truth.

Being born and raised a Roman Catholic girl in the USA, the Eastern teachings are somewhat foreign to my native land of birth, however, none the less totally fascinating to me, and have been for some time. I have danced around over the years between practicing Theravadin Buddhism at Vipassana with S.N. Goenka, to reading about different branches of Hinduism, to following the teachings and Self-Realization Lessons of Paramahansa Yogananda. In my search for both the truth and the secrets, I have gathered books written by several authors on different branches. So I guess what I do not understand, is why Hinduism contains so many divisions? It is very confusing to this westerner, as those of us brought up in Catholicism in the west are taught that there is one God by one name, which is God. And his son is named Jesus Christ. There are saints that can be prayed to, but only one God Almighty. So I remain in square one with respect to attaining clarity over time about branches of eastern religion, and as confused as ever.

So I have a few questions if I may…

For those of you well versed in the subject, what are your thoughts on the trilogy written by the late Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, Dancing With Siva, Living With Siva, and Merging With Siva? He passed away last year from cancer – (his birth data is Jan. 5, 1927 8:25 AM, Oakland, CA). Anyway, his voluminous writings are so enjoyable to read from an American’s perspective - as far as an American’s ability to truly understand, in an English manner, the writings and beliefs that Hinduism offers, as English translations to these concepts are readily comprehensible within the writings by this author, and therefore leave the western reader with an ability to both better understand the teachings, and relate. So I guess my question is, are these writings intellectually and spiritually supportive, or at a complete dichotomy, as far as relevance and beliefs to Vaisnaivism? In other words, will the Saivite teachings totally spiritually contradict the teachings of Vaisnaivism, or will they be supportive to learning Hinduism?

I have always been confused about the “differences” in branches of Hinduism, and WHY there are even differences and different teachings to Hinduism, and I therefore remain totally confused about what reading material to defer to for the real Truth. And how many names are there for One God? I really also enjoy the writings of Stephen Knapp, as he also has a gift of writing about an Eastern subject with clarity. I realize that much of what I am asking is probably largely based on individual personal preferences, but I am interested in knowing the overall preferences for this list. What about Buddhism, and the teachings of Osho and Eknath Easwaran? And what are the list thoughts on who authors the best translation of the Bhagavad-Gita?

Also, would anyone know where I could purchase a copy of Sanjay’s book on Vimshottari and Udu Dasas in the United States? I have checked with several jyotish vendors online, and they don’t seem to carry the title. Thanks…

~ Sincerely ~

Sandy Crowther

http://www.jupitersweb.com/

Hare Rama KrishnaArchive:varahamihiraFiles:varahamihiravarahamihira/database