IndiaDivine.org

The Singing Saints

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Chandrashekarji,Sheevaniji,Lalit,Ramanarayanji & Group, A writeup on the singing saints who have sung the glories of Lord Shiva Comments/feedback welcome Regards, aavesh sir, i am shanmugam, I read this message sent by u, it is very useful message, This message will be most appreciated, thanks & rgds shanmugam.--- On Mon, 17/3/08, Selvaratnam Selvakumar <selvauk (AT) (DOT) co.uk> wrote: Selvaratnam Selvakumar <selvauk (AT) (DOT) co.uk> RE:The Singing Saints? Date: Monday, 17 March, 2008, 11:50 AM Om Namah Sivaya The four Great Saivite Teachers (Saints) They did sing at temples they visited. In particular Saint Tiru Jnana Sambandar dedicated most of his very short life (he only lived for 16 years) singing in temples and public places, this is how he reestablished Saivism in South India and put an end to influence of Jainism, he used a pair of golden cymbals (which was given by Lord Siva as a gift) to clap and one of his disciples was playing the Veena while he was singing. These soul-stirring devotional hymns which

prised Lord Siva,' OM Namah Sivaya' mantra, Vibuthi, etc, came straight from his heart. Four great singing Saiva Saints (including Tiru Jnana Sambandar) later wrote their own devotional songs on palm leaves for the benefit of mankind and locked them in a room in a great Siva Temple and handed over the key to the temple priest, and many years later, a great king (a great devotee of Lord Siva) by the influence of another Saint had the door opened and found those soul-stirring devotional hymns, but many were completely eaten up by termites( but Lord Siva assured the king that it was His wish that these hymns should never reach ordinary human's hands, as they had the power to cure any disease and even bring dead people to life). The king arranged at least five of these devotional songs known as Tirumurai to be sung at

all Tamil Saiva temples, this tradition is still followed in Tamil Saiva temples all over the world. Tirumurai also includes songs s ang by many other great Saivite Saints, but the songs sang by the above four are more popular. It is important to note that these Saints performed great miricles by simply singing (even brought back life many years after cremation) , but they never wanted a cult or religion formed after their name, they always conviced people (by singing Lord Siva's Glory) the greatest truth that it is ONLY Lord Siva's Power that did those miricles as the case with everything else in the world. These saints' lives (who lived 1200 years ago) still influence millions of people into taking up spiritual path and their devotional songs without doubt help people to purify themselves and to build great bhakti

towards Lord Siva. Saint Ramalinga Swamigal1823-1874 http://www.vallalar .org/WebComponen ts/FrontPage. aspx?ViewName= Home However, we had the fifth Great singing Saivite Teacher, Saint Ramalinga Swamigal, after a gap of about 1000 years ( the other four mentioned above lived 1000 years ago), he wrote tousands of soul-stirring devotional hymns to revive Saivaism. He assured people that there are more Saints to come whenever necessary to preserve the Saivite religion. Vira Saivaism which originated in the state of Karnadaka also have had Great singing Saints. These soul-stirring devotional hymns also came straight from their heart ( which have the essence of Veda), Useful link : http://www.shivayog a.net/veerashaiv a/literature/ prophets/ prophets. htm Every living being can chant the Maha Mantra 'OM Namah Sivaya', if you chant the mantra with full devotion, in due course without doubt you will enjoy Sivanandam (Inner Bliss). Sivaya Namah Casey <zziegamp (AT) bigpond (DOT) net.au> wrote: Hello, everyoneThis is the first time I have posted here but I have been reading with great interest for some time. I actually have several questions but one that struck me earlier today is about the singing saints of Saivism. Did they really sing or did they simply 'sing the praises' of Shiva, like worshippers of the God of the

Bible?My other question is who can chant Om Namah Shivaya?Regards,Casey Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with for Good Now you can chat without downloading messenger. Click here to know how. You are managing the group through Grouply.You to individual

emails for this group. | Update your Subscription settings7 messages in this conversation, including this one | Add a commentView this message on Grouply so you can rate, tag, bookmark, and see what others think about it. Cat Fanatics on Find people who are crazy about cats. Best of Y! Groups Discover groups that are the best of their class. Y! Messenger Quick file sharing Send up to 1GB of files in an IM.

Bring your gang together - do your thing. Start your group.